PDA

View Full Version : Can I carry a box of cigars onto a plane?

Killian
10-29-2011, 03:32 PM
We are headed to Jamaica in the morning and I packed a box of cigars to take. I dont have a travel humidor so I put them in an old AF box. Can I carry this box in my carry on or do I have to put it in my checked bag?
I did a search here and on TSA site and didnt see much information.

Ogre
10-29-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't see why you can't. Just can't carry a cutter or lighter.

Emjaysmash
10-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Might want to take out the small nail that keeps the box closed if it has one.

jsnake
10-29-2011, 03:39 PM
I think you can as long as you do not have the cutter or lighter as mentioned above. I always place my breakables or things like that in my carry on.

icehog3
10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I always carry on my cigars.

Killian
10-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys. Now lets see if I get some grief since the box was AF Cuban Coronas.
Hopefully I dont have to explain.
:sl

chippewastud79
10-29-2011, 04:36 PM

You just can't have a jet lighter, cutters and soft flame lighters are OK :tu

GWN
10-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Just went to Jamaica last month, albeit from Canada, with a full cigar caddy. No issues.
Not every single Habanos I cam across was a fake, even in the airport duty free.
Might be worth throwing a bic or two into your checked baggage. The humidity was hell on matches and the overpriced lighter I bought at our resort lasted all of a day.

T.G
10-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Just went to Jamaica last month, albeit from Canada, with a full cigar caddy. No issues.
Not every single Habanos I cam across was a fake, even in the airport duty free.
Might be worth throwing a bic or two into your checked baggage. The humidity was hell on matches and the overpriced lighter I bought at our resort lasted all of a day.

Actually, US regulations ban the transport of lighters in checked baggage unless they are in approved transport containers. Not to say that they don't sneak by without the transport containers, but technically they are not permitted. On the flip side, you are permitted by US TSA regulations to carry a single soft flame lighter, ie: BIC, in your carry on along with one box/pack of non-strike anywhere matches.

As mentioned previously in this thread, for US TSA, jet flame lighters are banned under all circumstances in carry-ons.

By regulations, cutters are fine for carry on, as are punches, but of course, these are always subject to the screener's discretion.

A box of cigars should be no problem.

Barcode
10-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Here is the page from the TSA website.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/prohibited_items_brochure.pdf

LigaPrivadaT84
10-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Where does the box originate?

T.G
10-30-2011, 01:24 AM

I put them in an old AF box.

AF typically means "Arturo Fuente" which is located in the Dominican Republic.

emopunker2004
10-30-2011, 01:25 AM

a tree...

;s, i had to

pnoon
10-30-2011, 08:09 AM
a tree...

;s, i had to

Actually, no. You didn't.

neoflex
10-30-2011, 08:23 AM
I always carry on my cigars.

:tpd: I do the same, my cigars are always in my carry on.

pnoon
10-30-2011, 08:34 AM
:tpd: I do the same, my cigars are always in my carry on.

I'm with you. I wouldn't have them anywhere else.

DPD6030
10-30-2011, 08:52 AM
I've never had a problem taking cigars in my carry on luggage. I either ship a lighter or buy one once I get where I am going. I do have a LGC soft flame I'll try and take to Epic in a few days. Last time TSA let my Swiss Army knife through and stopped me to question my cigar punch. Once explained they let that pass to.
Posted via Mobile Device

jledou
10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
I carry-on my cigars, have a cutter or two and one bic style lighter in my carry on bag (backpack) and I have only had to throw away a lighter in China coming back to the US.

Only one lighter per bag ... and you are allowed 2 carry-ons ...

bobarian
10-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Carrying cigars is no problem, but unless the box is full they might get knocked around a bit. I would put them in a gallon ziplock bag and then into a small tupperware to keep them from being damaged. :2

loki
10-30-2011, 08:02 PM

you sure about this hoss? actually i'll save you the trouble, you're wrong.

box, cutter, lighter ok...as long as the lighter is a bic

Benwoo
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
I had no problems bringing on my Palio cutter, which I though I might. I did get an agent wondering about my litter-a-dor, but when I said it was a cigar caddy he just smiled and said have a good time. I didn't bother trying to bring a lighter I figured they're easy enough to find.

Chris

ktblunden
10-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Last time I flew I brought the cigars in herfadors in my carry-on and had a cheap cutter, and two cheap jet lighters in my checked luggage, empty. I bought a can of butane when I got to my destination. If they search your luggage they might find the lighter and they might confiscate it, but I took the chance and didn't have a problem on either end of my trip. If you go with a cheap lighter you won't miss it if they take it. I didn't want to have to find a lighter at my destination and I didn't want to have to resort to a soft flame on the balcony of a cruise ship.

EDIT: The TSA regulations on lighters seem to change constantly, so agents may not even know what the rules are from day to day. This could result in them allowing items they shouldn't or seizing items that are allowed. It all depends on the individual agent and how informed they are of policy, which oftentimes is not very.

w squared
10-31-2011, 11:33 AM
I normally put cigars into my checked luggage - I have a very small carry-on. I usually make sure that they're in a well constructed box, and then make sure that they're well padded with clothing on all sides. So far, no issues.

The Poet
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
You shouldn't have such worries on a train, and trains run from Manhattan to Jamaica all day. :D

audio1der
11-04-2011, 12:10 PM
I carried 2 boxes back with me in my carry-on from my honeymoon in the DR without issue.

bdgile
11-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I have carried on a box a few times. Usually smaller though...

ysr_racer
11-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Cigars in carry on, jet lite and cutter in checked many times, no issues.

mash
11-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Just don't light them first.