PDA

View Full Version : My uzi weighs a ton 5x60

Don Fernando
10-23-2011, 12:04 AM
My uzi weighs a ton, yes, that is a Public Enemy song but it is also the latest creation of Drew Estate in cooperation with Joya de Nicaragua. All three sizes have a 60 ring gauge, the only difference is the length, 5 inch, 6 inch and 7 inch. I smoked the 5 inch version which I got from Jonathan Drew at the Intertabac tradeshow in Germany a few weeks ago. Even though it is a 60 ring cigar I was really looking forward to try it as I am a fan of the Liga Privada #9, Liga Privada T52 and the Undercrown.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/review2/uzi5601.jpg

The cellophane wrapped cigar comes with a big, modern yet simple and therefore pretty band. The greasy dark wrapper is oily. The construction feels good. I smell a mild wood smell. The predraw is fine and I taste raisin.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/review2/uzi5602.jpg

I taste an earthy flavor with spicy herbs although the spice tones down almost immediately. After half an inch I taste a mild sweetness too. After a third I taste some herbs, a bit of wood and a little bit of sugar. There isn't much development in flavors.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/review2/uzi5603.jpg

Halfway the cigar gets a little sweeter and soon after the cigar gets spicy too. I taste spicy herbs with a bit of pepper. After two thirds I also taste some spices. Near the end I taste wood and some herbs.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/review2/uzi5604.jpg

This cigar lasted me for two hours. The draw is great and I got a lot of smoke. The pepper and salt colored ash is firm. I had some problems with the burn. This cigar is medium flavored, medium bodied and a bit boring.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/cigarguide/review2/uzi5605.jpg

Would I buy this cigar again? Nope!

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10

kelmac07
10-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Been curious about these. Guess I shouldn't be in a hurry to light the one I have up.

LigaPrivadaT84
10-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the review. I like Ligas and JdNs - sounds like something I'd like to try.

DaBear
10-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Nice review Ferdie. I'm in the same boat. It was good, but boring. Not much flavor change. Plus I had a bit of a draw issue, but it opened up toward the end. Would I smoke it again? Sure. Would I actively seek it out? No, too many other goodies out there.

Remo
10-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks Ferdie :tu

neoflex
10-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Nice Review. I didn't realize that the 5 x 60s were even released. I didn't hink they were coming until mid November.

replicant_argent
10-23-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't have the jaw of a python and wouldn't even consider a cigar that big. Not into the novelty/cutesy name thing either.
Well, probably with the exception of a chicken wing shake flavored cigar. I would be all over that like a chicken on a Junebug. I really should put a word in Jonnys ear. He hated my idea for a Sriracha flavored one, so he may put my ideas on the back burner again.
Sigh.

irratebass
10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Nice review, thanks....I haven't had an LP yet, I have been curious about this brand.

Ogre
10-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the review Ferdie. Scratch that from the immediate list!!!

Don Fernando
10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice Review. I didn't realize that the 5 x 60s were even released. I didn't hink they were coming until mid November.

I don't know if they are released in the USA yet, I know that we have them here in The Netherlands, only country in Europe though.

kokobill
11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Tried several of these over the past week, and agree with review; spot on. Probably a great golfing cigar, with nice flavors that aren't distracting and last a long time. Price point puts in class with some stiff competition, though...

ktblunden
11-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I got a few of the pre-release 6x60s and I agree, boring cigar. I like the band though, mine came naked.

lenguamor
11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't have the jaw of a python and wouldn't even consider a cigar that big. Not into the novelty/cutesy name thing either.
Well, probably with the exception of a chicken wing shake flavored cigar. I would be all over that like a chicken on a Junebug. I really should put a word in Jonnys ear. He hated my idea for a Sriracha flavored one, so he may put my ideas on the back burner again.
Sigh.

Sriracha. Cigar.

Genius. :D

Nice review, Ferdie.

Taki
11-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Been wanting to try one of these for quit some time...great review!!!

Starscream
11-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Ferdinand, I love how many of your reviews (like this one) make me drool b/c of your descriptions, yet at the end you say you would not buy it again. Even though you say no, I'd still love to try this merely b/c of your review.
:D

icehog3
11-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Bought one at the B&M yesterday to help fulfill my obligatory purchase. Heard the name bandied about at CA, and it was the only thing that caught my eye.

I really didn't think I was going to like it the first several minutes, just pepper with a touch of earthiness, not really my cup of tea.

After a bit it settled though, into a creamier, mild spice and earth flavor. Not too complex, but certainly not a bad cigar. At the price it's unlikely I would buy another one, but wouldn't hesitate to smoke one if a friend handed one to me.

emopunker2004
11-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Bought one at the B&M yesterday to help fulfill my obligatory purchase. Heard the name bandied about at CA, and it was the only thing that caught my eye.

I really didn't think I was going to like it the first several minutes, just pepper with a touch of earthiness, not really my cup of tea.

After a bit it settled though, into a creamier, mild spice and earth flavor. Not too complex, but certainly not a bad cigar. At the price it's unlikely I would buy another one, but wouldn't hesitate to smoke one if a friend handed one to me.

+1

ApexAZ
02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I have had a couple of these and I like them, but agree there are better options at the price point. I DO think that they would be a great recommendation for someone newer to cigars as its VERY smooth and has good flavor, while not being too strong. I think it could make a great gateway cigar :)

Thanks for the review!

Don Fernando
02-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Jonathan gave me a few baitfish, looking forward to those as I think that the same blend in a thinner RG would be killer.

dom1n8r
02-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Arambo3 gifted me one of these...looking forward to the smoke.

D

SteelCityBoy
02-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Still sitting on one of these for a while now...it's one heckuva stick (size wise) that's for sure! Today may just be the day it meets its firey demise!

Thanks for the review! :tu

lenguamor
02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Despite my preference for smaller-ring cigars, I'm intrigued by this because of the blend. I'll look for it next time I'm in a shop.

dom1n8r
02-12-2012, 10:26 PM
So I smoke the Uzi last night...it wasn't bad at all, but like already mentioned, it was pretty much the same taste all the way through. That will probably be the last 60 I smoke in a long, long while though...

D

Hem
02-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I got a few of the pre-release 6x60s and I agree, boring cigar. I like the band though, mine came naked.

I just picked up the same deal but I'm not sure if mine will come naked or not. Did you get yours from cbid? I figure I can toss them in the humidor and use them as party/special occasion cigars. What's a couple more cigars in the humi right???....I keep telling myself that :r

J.Rawls
02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Got one in my travel humidor,....which means it will get smoked here pretty soon. Hopefully i have a better experience.

lenguamor
03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Had one of these tonight. While I didn't dislike it, it was pretty much the same all the way through; some pepper at the beginning and some sweetness around the middle, just like Ferdie's experience. I would say mild more than medium, which is fine by me. But for the time investment, I prefer a bit more complexity.

I think this would be a great cigar to smoke while you do something else that demands your attention; lots of thick, rich smoke, no off flavors...enjoyable enough.

Hem
03-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the report Joe! I've got a 5 pack in the humi right now, sounds like a good party cigar. :)

Barcode
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
I have a 10 pack in the freezer, then a little rest and it will be time to try one.