PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find their iPad to be a smoker's best friend?

Sonic04GT
10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I just recently got into cigars and have been buying nothing but samplers to try new things. I refuse to smoke indoors so nearly every time I'm sitting in my chair outside with a smoke, my iPad is with me. Whether it be reading reviews on the new cigar I'm trying, posting on here, or reading other forums, it's a great companion!

Well, there was one instance where I stood up and the lighter on my lap fell and the little cap popped off into the grass, in the dark. While I stumbled around trying to find this piece I managed to ash on the iPad's screen. Screen protectors are your friend! Wiped right off.

http://www.lolzilla.net/images/3990798.jpg

MrClean
10-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Keep your ash off the screen!! I normally have my phone with me and either play a game or surf the mobile site. Occasionally I'll take my laptop with me, but I'm afraid I'll ash on it.

Ogre
10-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I love my pad, use it all over the place. It's easier to carry then my lap top.

ckay
10-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Love my iPad...with NetFlix and you're in business!

elderboy02
10-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Whenever I am home I always have the iPad2 with me. I usually put on some tunes, read a book with the kindle or nook app and smoke my cigar. Good times! :tu

pektel
10-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I normally stare at the lake and trees. :D

OrI'm on the mobile site on my iphone4 reading others' reviews of whatever cigar I happen to be smoking.

SteelCityBoy
10-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Nothing better than a good smoke while you look it up on CA. That is a good way to pass the time while you are new to smoking and trying to learn all you can while you are smoking a stick. Sometimes though just sitting back and vegging out is the way to go. :tu

loki
if i had one i'm sure i'd find it to be quite useful

irratebass
I sit in my garage take a pic of my smoke for all of you :D and read a book while smoking.

Oh and what Loki said too

Sonic04GT
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah I had no clue I would get so much use out of this thing back when I bought it, as I don't really travel anymore. Unless I'm sitting at my desk, I rarely ever use a laptop anymore.

CigarNut
10-21-2011, 03:01 PM
I use my wife's iPad -- when she lets me -- and I love it. The only problem my wife has with this whole thing is that the cover ends up smelling like cigars and sometimes some ash gets on the cover.

I think when the next one comes out I might have to get one...

shilala
10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I use mine constantly. I've read a huge number of books that I never would have read because it makes it so easy. I take it with me whenever we travel, and a laptop has become an afterthought.
I was a first-adopter, I had pre-ordered and it arrived on release day. I haven't put it down since. :tu

goalie204
10-21-2011, 03:04 PM
macbook pro + ipad with me when i smoke :)

WittyUserName
10-21-2011, 03:10 PM
I have a kindle fire on preorder and plan on getting the new iPad when it comes out.

ApexAZ
10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I have an iPhone that I use. Have you found a good cigar journal type app?

I bought this one called Cigar Boss, but it turned out to be a waste of $.

Boz
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I use mine constantly. I've read a huge number of books that I never would have read because it makes it so easy. I take it with me whenever we travel, and a laptop has become an afterthought.
I was a first-adopter, I had pre-ordered and it arrived on release day. I haven't put it down since. :tu

We didnt preorder but we've had one since about a week after they were released. Ive used the hell out of it as well.

shilala
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
We didnt preorder but we've had one since about a week after they were released. Ive used the hell out of it as well.
I think that's the first thing I ever bought when it first came out, sight-unseen. I'd had an ipod touch and loved it. Then I got an iphone. Loved it even more. With the iPad I was thinking "big iphone" and that was good enough for me to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised when it did so much more.
I may give the ipad 3 a shot when it comes out. The 2 didn't do anything I needed, but the 3 is supposed to be a quadcore monster. It should make all the keystroke lag go away. Being as Steve Jobs just died, they'll probably crawl right over his grave and adopt flash support, as well. The whole "no flash" thing was strictly an ongoing personal issue between him and adobe that's been going on since he put multiple fonts on the first Macintosh.

thechrisdotcom
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
It'd be fun to have one, but I think an iPad or any other touch pad would be unnecessary purchase and money wasted if I got one.

My lap top does the job for now. Maybe when I have some extra money to spend, then maybe.

Boz
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
I think that's the first thing I ever bought when it first came out, sight-unseen. I'd had an ipod touch and loved it. Then I got an iphone. Loved it even more. With the iPad I was thinking "big iphone" and that was good enough for me to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised when it did so much more.
I may give the ipad 3 a shot when it comes out. The 2 didn't do anything I needed, but the 3 is supposed to be a quadcore monster. It should make all the keystroke lag go away. Being as Steve Jobs just died, they'll probably crawl right over his grave and adopt flash support, as well. The whole "no flash" thing was strictly an ongoing personal issue between him and adobe that's been going on since he put multiple fonts on the first Macintosh.

I was thinking the same thing about flash. Now that he's gone we may just see it on the new stuff. We skipped the 2 as well because it really isnt that much different than the first one but if numero 3 is gonna be that much better than I will likely upgrade.

To the OP, I do the same with mine. Sitting out on the deck enjoying a drink and a cigar with the ipad is excellent in my opinion. :tu

ashtonlady
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Let me see, I have a laptop, 2 iphones(one is for work) and a Ipad. My Ipad is for travel. I use my ipad to check my favorite sites, listen to music and backup my pictures. As has been said before, I didnt know I would get this much use out of it.

darkninja67
10-22-2011, 09:11 AM
HTC Flyer + Shure In Ears + Netfix + lawn swing + J21 = a nice time for me

Davis
10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
I always have my Acer Iconia Tab with me when I smoke. Havent touched my laptop in months. I never thought Id get so much use out of a tablet.

Jasonw560
10-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Plug in iPod touch into the radio outside, connect to Pandora, and use the iPad for surfing or research for a class I'll be teaching. Some iced tea, root beer, or Dr Pepper, a good cigar, and I am all set.

Blak Smyth
10-24-2011, 09:18 AM
I use my iphone4 all the time, but yesterday I had to use my droid phone to listen to the Redskins game (Dumb Apple not using Flash!, still prefer my iphone though!). I often use my note pad on my iphone to keep track of notes while smoking and I have a note called CA rolodex with all my addys on it! I love my iphone and I am sure an Ipad would be even better!!!

Sonic04GT
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Plug in iPod touch into the radio outside, connect to Pandora, and use the iPad for surfing or research for a class I'll be teaching. Some iced tea, root beer, or Dr Pepper, a good cigar, and I am all set.

Do you ever have any problems swallowing some tar-filled saliva while smoking and getting an upset stomach?

I've heard about this, and even from my cigarette days, I spit a lot when I smoke. Hence why I sit in a lawn chair near the grass.

Figured drinking just helps wash it down! haha

Tea sounds good with a cigar though.

Jasonw560
10-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Do you ever have any problems swallowing some tar-filled saliva while smoking and getting an upset stomach?

I've heard about this, and even from my cigarette days, I spit a lot when I smoke. Hence why I sit in a lawn chair near the grass.

Figured drinking just helps wash it down! haha

Tea sounds good with a cigar though.

No tar-filled saliva swallowing here. No upset stomach, either. If I used a punch, there would probably be a larger concntration of tar, but for now there's not much that I have noticed.

All three of the above are excellent with cigars. Root beer is my first choice, then one of the other two.