PDA

View Full Version : Zippo Fuel Alternative

BTcigars
10-16-2011, 05:25 PM
I know this has been discussed before but I have yet to find a sufficient answer. I am looking to see if there there is a alternative fuel that can be used in traditional Zippo lighters.

I was thinking about 91% isophoric alcohol but I heard that when it burns it smells quite badly. Then I was thinking about denatured alcohol but the fact that it is purposely manufactured with methanol, which is very toxic, and thus I wonder if it is safe to use (despite it already being used for portable camping grills).

In conclusion, I just want to use a "Made in USA" lighter that can use a fuel that is comparable to butane. Also, I know about the ZippoBlu but I just dont like that lighter.

Pat1075
10-16-2011, 05:54 PM
gasoline baby:banger

BTcigars
10-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Haha I actually read a post where someone tried using gas when I did a search for this on the rest of the interwebs

emopunker2004
10-16-2011, 07:38 PM
have you looked into the vector thunderbird insert?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43049

BTcigars
10-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I have but I am wanting to use a American made lighter. Tired of all of the stuff from China. Besides, the classic Zippo design lasts for eons.

emopunker2004
10-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I have but I am wanting to use a American made lighter. Tired of all of the stuff from China. Besides, the classic Zippo design lasts for eons.

You use your zippo shell and just replace the guts. if i remember correctly the insert says made in USA on it. I will verify when i get home at 7am. also it comes with a lifetime warranty :tu

BTcigars
10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Really?! I look forward to finding out if thats true!

Prospector
10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I have a Thunderbird torch flame insert but nowhere does it say where it is made - neither on the packaging, the directions, nor the product itself. You may have to contact the manufacturer/reseller directly to find out.
Try starting with www.vectorkgm.com and see if they have a contact page.

Commander Quan
10-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Have you tried the Zippo fuel in the black can? If you let the flame burn for a couple of seconds there is no detectable flavor. Zippo reformulated their fuel and couple of years ago to remove the strong smell and taste.

shilala
10-18-2011, 01:16 PM
I have a Zippo Blu (http://www.elighters.com/zippo-lighters-zippo-blu-butane-lighters.html) that is flint and butane. All made in USA, 100% Zippo, and no insert or any of that stuff. It was a gift set that came with butane, extra flints and the lighter.

On the traditional zippo question, I've watched old-timers put kerosene in their zippos. I worked at a gas station when I was a kid and they'd go to the pump and get the few drips that were in the nozzle. I thought for years that was how you were supposed to fill a zippo. :D

shilala
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Here's a pic of the gift set, mine is polished chrome, but you'll get the gist...

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/ldK_SYTMctEypTqlv3PkRAsnJLhgZ1fp_Wk9cOeEDmrqKCmamd 7tbt2wicELIlV8z08yHwKSKItBq7FJ7EpUJhjckVUibNyaRpVh Gm2AXqS8sd3MykZU3gYmEfUqAQXaZLGqFiQ_zZZmxd5disnH74 v9TW8rTzXmDlxBomo4BmjKkkXLVqfOa7k

RevSmoke
10-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Camp gas also works in a pinch. You know, the Coleman can of white gas for laterns and camp stoves? Yeah, that stuff.

shilala
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Camp gas also works in a pinch. You know, the Coleman can of white gas for laterns and camp stoves? Yeah, that stuff.
We always used plain old unleaded for the coleman stuff. That was back when there was still leaded gas, and they called unleaded "white gas". I forgot all about that stuff, like "gas used to be brown".
I had no idea you could use it in a zippo, but it stands to reason.
Thanks for taking me back memory lane, Todd. :D

RevSmoke
10-18-2011, 06:02 PM
We always used plain old unleaded for the coleman stuff. That was back when there was still leaded gas, and they called unleaded "white gas". I forgot all about that stuff, like "gas used to be brown".
I had no idea you could use it in a zippo, but it stands to reason.
Thanks for taking me back memory lane, Todd. :D

Not a problem, I like jogging your memory - I like to see the dust come out your ears. :D :r :r

emopunker2004
10-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I checked and it does not say on the insert. I shot them an email. Awaiting a reply.

BTcigars
10-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the help guys

w squared
10-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Yup...that stuff will work like a charm....but it does absolutely leave behind a taste almost the same as the original zippo fuel.

One thing to keep in mind - this stuff will evaporate out of the lighter in a day or two even if it's not used.

Silound
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
For the record, the *new* Zippo fuel is odorless and flavorless when burned, this I have personally verified for my pipe. The old version is no longer produced, but Zippo only made a halfhearted effort to pull the existing stock back.

The safest option is ethanol, which simply converts to carbon dioxide and water vapor during combustion. You're going to run into a handful of problems trying to use an alternative fuel though. Most fuels are designed to have a relatively low vapor point as to be easily ignited, but are mixed with other compounds to improve the ability to keep when not in a sealed container. Ethanol would evaporate too fat to have any viable keeping power.