PDA

View Full Version : Tatuaje to Release Economy-Priced Cigar

duckmanco
11-26-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,2561,00.html

Can't wait to try these things......

elderboy02
11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
I can't wait to try one! :cb

BORIStheBLADE
11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I'll try them for sure.

bobarian
11-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Meh. How is a $200-250 cab an Economy priced cigar?:sleep:

DrDubzz
11-27-2008, 12:23 AM

:tpd: how bout a $2.50 pettite corona or something. 4.50 really isn't "economy" priced. you can get a Red Label PC for that much

and I'm really not a fan of the Toro size, why not the robusto and a corona gorda, or PC?

btw, I don't mean to sound like a whiny girl, I'm just saying that 4.50-5 bucks isn't exactly cheap for one cigar

Volt
11-27-2008, 06:30 AM
:tpd: how bout a $2.50 pettite corona or something. 4.50 really isn't "economy" priced. you can get a Red Label PC for that much

and I'm really not a fan of the Toro size, why not the robusto and a corona gorda, or PC?

btw, I don't mean to sound like a whiny girl, I'm just saying that 4.50-5 bucks isn't exactly cheap for one cigar

:tpd: But then again "economy" is all based on an individuals income. For me. My daily sticks usually cost $4 - $7 but I get them on on cbid at a better price. A "full" priced Tat Red, etc mean pay attention to the cigar, no BSing around. Not that I am the envious type, I could earn more if I was willing to do what it's required, but I'm enjoying my free time in life more than $$$$$$. Even if I had the cash for the $10, $15, etc sticks my upbringing would not allow me to "burn" that kind of money :). Thanks Dad.......

Doogie
11-27-2008, 06:49 AM
i'm looking forward to this. love his lines

dunng
11-27-2008, 06:54 AM
I will have to at least try it... :ss

Da Klugs
11-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Interesting. Pete was chattin this up when we met him a couple months ago at the Havanna Club. He's a member here, maybe we can get some comment.

Footbag
11-27-2008, 07:38 AM
This should be a good one. I don't see Pete or DPG as the type to cut corners. In a recent interview, he said they were considering leaving out the triple cap, and Pepin's rollers couldn't do it. They couldn't "go backwards" as he said.

As for the $4.50 price tag, I cannot think of a cheaper DPG blend.

I would also expect the two wrappers to be well received, especially in this community. Everyone is always debating how wrappers effect flavor. This will be a great chance to tell.

Cigarcop
11-27-2008, 08:20 AM
I'll be in to trying them foooo sure, I dig the Tats :ss

hotreds
11-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Another one for the "to try" list.

Skywalker
11-27-2008, 08:59 AM
The band looks strangely familiar??? :D

TripleF
11-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Economy priced cigars certainly have changed in their definition of economy.

Looks interesting......can't wait to try one. :ss

tsolomon
11-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Pete was talking about these at the Frank release and said they would be out in January.
This should be a good one. I don't see Pete or DPG as the type to cut corners. In a recent interview, he said they were considering leaving out the triple cap, and Pepin's rollers couldn't do it. They couldn't "go backwards" as he said.He mentioned this along with picking out the tobacco to be used. I certainly want to try them. :D

ucla695
11-27-2008, 10:12 AM
It'll be interesting to see how these are blended and how distinguished they are from his other lines. He's definitely taking some plays out of Pepin's playbook by creating more and more lines.

dcamacho
11-27-2008, 10:14 AM
dont forget about the

TATUAJE SERIES P

i get em for 3/4 dollars a stick, never above 5. and everyone who knows me, know thats i LOVE THIS CIGAR.

NCRadioMan
11-27-2008, 10:44 AM
As for the $4.50 price tag, I cannot think of a cheaper DPG blend.

Ashton Benchmade and Holt's Fumadors. Less than $3 a cigar. :tu

loki
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
don't think i'll be trying these....i'm 1/5 in tats i've liked I don't think i'm going to spend anymore more money on the line

tobii3
11-27-2008, 11:21 AM

My thoughts exactly.

I think "economy" and that price point is WAY past that!!!

duckmanco
11-27-2008, 11:33 AM
If MSRP is $4.00-$5.00 then I am betting these will be in $3.00 range or so, something like a lot 23 or the Partagas Black price points, which I might not call economy, but certainly not out of control price wise. I love 3-5 dollar cigars as both my everyday and any reason, including special occasion smokes.

The way I see it, its better than yet another 8.00 -10.00 Pepin smoke. :rolleyes:

Celt
11-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Dont get me wrong I really like Tats and DPGs but I do think that a lot of what you get now a days is about the name not so much quality and consistency as it was before they became so popular.

I will always try them when they come out with a new one and continue to smoke the ones I like but I am finding it harder and harder to justify some of the more expensive smokes over Oliva's stuff now a days.

Between the Oliva O Habano and the Vs its becoming increasing hard to find more consistently good cigars.

Buena Fortuna
11-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Not interested. 2 words...La Raquezia
Posted via Mobile Device

Snake Hips
11-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Hmm...the not-so-economy economy cigar. Why is it that Oliva makes such great cigars at their price point and no one else seems to want to try? I'll try these, $4.50 is pretty "economy" where I live, and I might like them. But why those two sizes only? I'm not a fan of either of those sizes...

Celt
11-27-2008, 09:43 PM
My point exactly!

If you can show me a better tasting cigar then the Oliva O Habano at $3 I'll suck your toes!

Well maybe not really suck your toes :hm

Mark
11-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Ashton Benchmade and Holt's Fumadors. Less than $3 a cigar. :tu

I had a couple fumadores a while back and other than them falling apart on me shortly after lighting, I found then generally uninteresting and slightly ammonia-y

::end threadjack::

cant wait to try these, although they are not quite an 'economy' smoke on my college-student-with-a-girlfriend budget :tu

sofaman
11-28-2008, 04:38 AM
I am going to try them but if they are not any better the the Tat P1's I will stick with the P1 for $69 for a box of 31 they cant be beat

MithShrike
11-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I doubt these will be any good. Pete mentioned B and C grade tobacco in the article I read which isn't a bad thing it just means these will be ugly. What does concern me is that he admitted that not all of the tobacco is completely fermented. From my experience and the knowledge I've gained, a cigar that is made from improperly fermented tobacco will have a lot of ammonina and nicotine and should be very harsh. I don't do harsh.

Totemic
11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I doubt these will be any good. Pete mentioned B and C grade tobacco in the article I read which isn't a bad thing it just means these will be ugly. What does concern me is that he admitted that not all of the tobacco is completely fermented. From my experience and the knowledge I've gained, a cigar that is made from improperly fermented tobacco will have a lot of ammonina and nicotine and should be very harsh. I don't do harsh.

What will make it worse is that there are a LOT of great cigars at the $4.75/$5 price range (including other Pepin blends like 601 red/black and even DPG black 1979). These will be competing directly with those and if they don't measure up, I doubt they'll make much of a splash.

Although, there will always be some folks who are swayed by the Tatuaje branding so who knows.

duckmanco
11-28-2008, 05:34 PM
What will make it worse is that there are a LOT of great cigars at the $4.75/$5 price range (including other Pepin blends like 601 red/black and even DPG black 1979). These will be competing directly with those and if they don't measure up, I doubt they'll make much of a splash.

Although, there will always be some folks who are swayed by the Tatuaje branding so who knows.

I agree, the cigar will, as any other have to be judged on its individual merit. Its going to be tough on it as the mentioned price point is one hell of a broad playing field, and there are some serious contenders in it.

doctorcue
11-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Who am I kidding... I'm totally going to buy some. I'm a sucker for Pete & Pepin blends.

Clampdown
11-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Dont get me wrong I really like Tats and DPGs but I do think that a lot of what you get now a days is about the name not so much quality and consistency as it was before they became so popular.

I will always try them when they come out with a new one and continue to smoke the ones I like but I am finding it harder and harder to justify some of the more expensive smokes over Oliva's stuff now a days.

Between the Oliva O Habano and the Vs its becoming increasing hard to find more consistently good cigars.

Are you saying Tats quality has gone down over the past two years? I actually think the complete opposite. Ill grab any PAM/PAN, AVO, TAT, DCM, LADC, VSG and Illusione and stick it next to any Oliva on quality. Sure the price may be higher but in terms of quality, it doesnt get much better then those.