PDA

View Full Version : Clubs Vs Samplers!

sparkboss
10-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I keep searching and searching on the internet trying to find a decent and fun way to find my perfect smoke, i just cant decide whether i should do samplers or cigar of the month club with CI. i know i can get a good amount of sticks in a certain flavor window for a little bit cheaper by getting samplers, but something about my brain just keeps nagging at me that i want them to be completely random so my palate has no idea whats coming for it!

Has anybody else had to made this life changing decision? and what was your verdict?

Thanks to all that can help me solve this disaster,

~Micah (the Sparkboss) Sparks.

Ismith75
10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
It's been my experience that the monthly clubs are a waste of money. They push cigars that they can't get rid of and at a higher price than could be had elsewhere. Lots of good samplers to be had if you look around and you'll get a lot more bang for your buck. Try a Fuente or an Oliva sampler to get started and let us know what you think. Everyone has smoked these and can give you some suggestions from there. :2

Bax
10-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm with Ian on this. Samplers are usually the way to go. Try as many different types and sizes. This is the fun part!!!! Avoid getting boxes at the moment because your tastes will change. Most of all ENJOY!!!:tu

ptpablo
10-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Thumbs down to the clubs and thumbs up to the samplers. samplers let you control what your tasting and buying.

chand
10-10-2011, 06:44 PM
You could always make your own sampler at a B & M if the staff is on the ball by deciding on the number of sticks you want and an overall price. Once I realized I could make my own cigar of the month club with better quality at the same price point I was sold.

never_enough
10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I am looking forward to buying a few samplers to really get started so I can find what I like and have a go to smoke. There are so many options I think I will just throw a dart and start from there!

T.G
10-11-2011, 01:11 AM
The "cigar clubs" aren't bad if you are starting out or even if you are experienced and enjoy having something diverse sent your way. Usually you break even or a bit ahead on the clubs. You can do better numerically on the samplers if you A) have some idea what to get and B) if you are ok with the limitations. You will get a more diverse sampler in the clubs but pay a little bit more per cigar, while on the other hand, you might save a bit on the samplers but will often get a more narrow range of cigars, and often, these cigars will all be similar or have a common focus. For just starting out and not having anyone to herf with who can give you guidance, direction, advice and, on occasion, cigars, the club isn't a bad deal as it's not just the cigars they send you, they include tasting notes, news and commentary.

For your situation, I'd go with the club. You can always cancel after a few months when you get to a point that you know what you like. :2

irratebass
10-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Some sites like Famous-smokes offer samplers that you pick on your own, so instead of going to the B&M you can do it in your undies :D

Stevez
10-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Concur on the sampler's advice. Hard to beat. You can even select samplers that meet your general profile preferences, such as maduro, natural, full body, etc. I love these and have tried smokes that I otherwise wouldn't have. I've never tried the club to be honest because of the feedback here. I'd rather pick my own at times. Then, I know what I like and buy the boxes to get the savings. Steve

Blak Smyth
10-11-2011, 07:11 AM
PM steelcityboy or taki, they both receive the monthly cigars.
I personally find I can get more cigars suited to my liking by buying what I want instead of what they send me. I do like the idea of not knowing what is showing up. Also CI send a little letter with information about each smoke, you can make notes on it and file it for later research. They do send out some good sticks too.
I vote samplers but I think either way is a good way to get some variety.

N2 GOLD
10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
You can never go wrong with Padron... :tu :dr

sparkboss
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Some sites like Famous-smokes offer samplers that you pick on your own, so instead of going to the B&M you can do it in your undies :D

i think i'll take your advice!! i'll just have to make my sampler extremely versatile in flavor because i'm still not 100% sure what i really like.

great info from all of you guys though, i appreciate the help - they almost suckered me into paying for a club that wouldn't have done me much good!

thechrisdotcom
10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I agree with mostly everyone else. I'd go with samplers over a club.

Plus if you find something you like, just buy a couple 5ers of each and keep trying new cigars.

WittyUserName
10-12-2011, 06:22 PM
5ers FTW!!!

Or try and get some samplers off the WTS threads here.