PDA

View Full Version : Mold @ the B&M

ujponds
10-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I went to a B&M that recently opened. They had a surprisingly good selection, about a dozen cabinet humis. While looking through I noticed one box in one of the cabinets had some fuzz growing on the sticks.

My question is, does this mean all of the sticks in the case are contaminated? If I were to buy some sticks say from a different shelf that shows no sign of fuzz, would it be safe to put them in my humi? I aired on the side of caution until I got some opinions.

Subvet642
10-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I can't say with any degree of certainty if it would spread, but I wouldn't buy any.

WittyUserName
10-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I can't say with any degree of certainty if it would spread, but I wouldn't buy any.

x2

At least out of that cabinet and I would look at the other carefully.

ujponds
10-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I bought an Ashton VSG to smoke today but nothing for the cooler.

688sonarmen
10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Find another B&M.

ujponds
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Find another B&M.

It was the first and probably last time. It's a shame, they have a nice selection and good prices.

mosesbotbol
10-07-2011, 12:11 PM
If the box is sealed you are buying from, I would not worry. I probably wouldn't be too concerned even on open cigars.

If you see mold coming out of the foot of the cigars (on the ones you saw), well then maybe I would have 2nd thoughts and side with no thanks.

NCRadioMan
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Point it out to a clerk and then judge if you want to spend more money there based on their reaction.

:2

kelmac07
10-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Point it out to a clerk and then judge if you want to spend more money there based on their reaction.

This'd be my option. :D

Cornrow_Wallis
10-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Don't most(all?) cigars have mold spores? I wouldn't worry, unless conditions in your cooler allow for the growth of those mold spores.

ujponds
10-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Yup, I pointed it out and he came over and saw it. What they do from there is what's important. This took place in Pennsylvania (Right over the border from NY) Where there are alot of cigarette/cigar outlets that get alot of NY customers due to the much lower taxes, I always get the impression that none of them know what they are doing when it comes to keeping cigars. What surprised me about them is all of the higher end smokes they sell. I mean the inventory is they have and the setup they have had to be a pretty big investment.

N2 GOLD
10-07-2011, 12:51 PM

Agree, if you point it out to the clerk & he/she is all nonchalant about it then your best bet would be to spend your money at the competitors shop... Just my :2

Lonely Raven
10-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Isn't there a fuzz that the oils of a cigar can produce that means the cigar is in great shape and kept at ideal settings? It's different than mold, but looks like mold. I'll look up the article I read.

Lonely Raven
10-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Here is what I was talking about. Got it in my first google.

http://www.cigarsforless.com/cigar_faq.php#bloom

What does Bloom mean?
Bloom is a grayish fuzz that can appear on a well aged cigar. It is not mold, and it is completely harmless. It is a residue from the fermenting oils within the cigar, and is indicative that you have ideal storage conditions. You can identify it as bloom if it easily wipes off if you brush it gently with your finger. If you can not easily remove it, and it is more of a white color, it is probably mold.

NCRadioMan
10-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Here is what I was talking about. Got it in my first google.

http://www.cigarsforless.com/cigar_faq.php#bloom

What does Bloom mean?
Bloom is a grayish fuzz that can appear on a well aged cigar. It is not mold, and it is completely harmless. It is a residue from the fermenting oils within the cigar, and is indicative that you have ideal storage conditions. You can identify it as bloom if it easily wipes off if you brush it gently with your finger. If you can not easily remove it, and it is more of a white color, it is probably mold.

Bunk. Mold can be many colors and wipes off quite easily and plume/bloom can be wiped off just as easily. Bloom, plume looks like the entire cigar is covered in a fine dust and is uniform in nature. Mold is patchy and splotchy and may only grow on one end of the cigar.

Plume/bloom is fairly rare and may never happen and is only an indicator of good storage. That's it. It doesn't effect the cigars flavor.

ujponds
10-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Bunk. Mold can be many colors and wipes off quite easily and plume/bloom can be wiped off just as easily. Bloom, plume looks like the entire cigar is covered in a fine dust and is uniform in nature. Mold is patchy and splotchy and may only grow on one end of the cigar.

Plume/bloom is fairly rare and may never happen and is only an indicator of good storage. That's it. It doesn't effect the cigars flavor.

It sure wasn't plume/bloom!

Ogre
10-07-2011, 02:21 PM

:tpd:

dwoodward
10-07-2011, 04:29 PM
My B&M like 10% of the whole stash has mold growing, it looks sorta like plume, but im not convinced, looks too fuzzy.

I don't go there anymore.

cmitch
10-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Mold is fuzzy. I've seen hair mold on cigars. Not that I would like mold on anything but it's probably the least harmless of all the molds. It would appear light gray or white. Plume sparkles in the light like tiny crystals. I've also seen green mold on cigars and I wouldn't consider ever smoking one like that. I'd steer clear of any store that allows mold to go unchecked.