PDA

View Full Version : Plasma or LCD?

icantbejon
11-26-2008, 01:16 PM
So I'm about to embark upon the HD TV experience. Just looking for general opinions. Which do you valued forum posters like better, a plasma or LCD tv? I'm going to go with at least a 46" flat panel, and it will be 1080p.

Darrell
11-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Spending that hazardous duty/hostile fire/tax free pay well I see. :D

LasciviousXXX
11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
It really depends on size IMO. But if you are going 50 or bigger I would most definitely go Plasma.

Before I bought my plasma I did a fair amount of research on www.AVSForum.com and got some GREAT technical information on going High Def.

Good choice on the 1080P bro :tu

icantbejon
11-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Spending that hazardous duty/hostile fire/tax free pay well I see. :D

I'm going with the Per Diem payment when I get home actually. But yeah, I'm treating myself (and I suppose the wife as well) to a new TV. We are currently using an exceptionally old and crappy 27" so it's time for an upgrade. We owe it to ourselves!!! :D

mash
11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I have both. Plasma is definitely a nicer, more life-like picture. But, the room has to be dark, and I wouldn't advise gaming on it. Still some concern re: static images and burn-in.

icantbejon
11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Good choice on the 1080P bro :tu

My wife was sending some links for 720p, but I didn't want to go with a technology that has already been replaced.

Darrell
11-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm going with the Per Diem payment when I get home actually. But yeah, I'm treating myself (and I suppose the wife as well) to a new TV. We are currently using an exceptionally old and crappy 27" so it's time for an upgrade. We owe it to ourselves!!! :D

I bought my first iPOD with my Per Diem from a TDY to Okinawa. That was back when the biggest one was like 30GB and cost $400. :r

DPD6030
11-26-2008, 01:46 PM
When I upgraded I looked at both plasma and LCD. Plasma has a higher burn in rate and won't last as long as the LCD according to what I researched. I hope this helps some. LCDs are cheaper too.

Alee
11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Instead of choosing one and eliminating one choice completely, I would look at specific TVs from a spec, price, and quality standpoint and then go from there.

Or just buy a pioneer elite.

icantbejon
11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
I have read that the burn in problem has been corrected, for the most part anyway. I've also read a lot of good things on the shelf life of plasmas now. I guess there is only one way to really find out if all that's true now.

jjirons69
11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Plasma by far. Burn ins were a thing of the past. New sets also have extended lives of up to 100,000 hours. If you're hitting the slope, go with something you won't regret. Start with 50". Panasonic makes a damn nice 50" (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-th-50pz80u/4505-6482_7-32887126.html?tag=rnav) and can be had for <$1300 if you search around. I have a Panny 42" that's 4 years old and it still wows me. LCDs are getting better, especially the 120 Hz models. I like the warm plasma look though. Nothing smaller than 1920x1080.

Genetic Defect
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Plasma by far. Burn ins were a thing of the past. New sets also have extended lives of up to 100,000 hours. If you're hitting the slope, go with something you won't regret. Start with 50". Panasonic makes a damn nice 50" (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-th-50pz80u/4505-6482_7-32887126.html?tag=rnav) and can be had for <$1300 if you search around. I have a Panny 42" that's 4 years old and it still wows me. LCDs are getting better, especially the 120 Hz models. I like the warm plasma look though. Nothing smaller than 1920x1080.

I second this

Clampdown
11-26-2008, 02:32 PM
I picked up a 50 inch Vizio plasma from Costco. I love the damn thing. However, it can make the room very warm if left on for an extended period of time.

Studebaker
11-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I went with plasma when I took the plunge early this year. And I went with a Panasonic 42" 1080p. The screen has an anti-reflective coating so bright room glare is minimized too. Plasma has a wider viewing angle than LCD, which was another of my requirements. The set I got really fits my needs and wows me too, even though conventional wisdom says a 42" is too small to show the full glory of 1080p.

lenguamor
11-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Plasma, no doubt.

The best LCD's have about a 50,000-to-1 dynamic contrast ratio; plasma has 1,000,000-to-1. Meaning you'll get a better picture, higher contrast and truer blacks with plasma.

mash
11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Another piece of advice. Like a humi, go bigger than you think. In order to really appreciate 1080p, you need to be closer than with a CRT. The larger the TV, the further away you can sit.

AD720
11-26-2008, 03:51 PM
It depends on what you are looking to do.

Do you game? Want to use it a computer monitor? Then maybe LCD is a better choice.

Do you want a more realistic picture (less BOOM than LCD) with truer colors and blacks? A warmer picture? Maybe plasma then.

That being said, I have a 42inch Panasonic plasma that I am extremely happy with. Mine is a 720p. I sit about 8 feet away and the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size, at that distance is negligible. At the time there was about a $500 price difference which was 50% more. Plus I have no 1080p sources (except for Dish On Demand movies, which I have never rented).

As it was stated before permanent imagine retention (burn in) is pretty much a thing of the past unless you crack the hell out of the contrast and leave a static image up for a ridiculously long time.

I would be more concerned about getting something with PLENTY of HDMI inputs. Mine has 3, but only two are in the back so I had to pick up an HDMI switcher.

mugwump
11-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I went through this a few years back and settled on a 42" Panasonic 720p plasma. Wider viewing angle and better picture sealed it for me. If you do go with a plasma just go easy for the first 100 or so hours -- avoid static images for long periods of time, etc. Once you're past that point you can pretty much go nuts with no permanent ill effects. I game heavily on my plasma and have never had any burn-in issues.

RGD.
11-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I would say - go look at them and decide what looks best to you. I bought a Sony Bravia LCD last year and am thoroughly pleased. Excellent picture and people often comment on it.

Couple of Notes:

Always check the specs and features of the sets - don't go with just a 1080 whatever. Look at refresh rates, speakers, inputs, outputs, etc etc.
HDMI inputs - the more the better and use them!
You may get a 1080 set - but know that not all broadcast, cable, etc signals are in 1080. Some of the HD channels I get are in 720.
Surge protection - you about to make an investment - buy a surge protector. I have a whole house unit on my circuit panel plus a plug in on my Sony.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Ron

acruce
11-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I bought my 60" Hitachi plasma 1080P about 6 months ago. It has an absolutely stunning picture.The image burn is a thing of the past. My TV will get a 100,000 hours until you get half life which they say is still a great picture . So thats about 15 to 20 years of excellent quality TV. The half life which should be another 10 years of great TV. I would definitely go plasma and go BIG!!. I bought the biggest they had at the time.I believe you can get a 65" plasma know days. I LOVE MY PLASMA.:ss

ucla695
11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a Sony XBR (120 Mhz) and it's great for the bedroom. We do most of my gaming there... Then after some research, I plucked down some coin and pulled the trigger on a Pioneer Elite Kuros. Even better. :tu Just do some research and see what fits your budget. For live action and sports, I would go for a plasma. Less motion blur.

MTB996
11-26-2008, 09:42 PM
As others have said, depends on the size and use. Large (>52") and not for gaming, go with plasma. The pioneer Kuros is the best TV on the market today. If smaller size or burn in is an issue, go with LCD.

As far as LCD, we are starting to see LED backlit LCDs and they can get to over 500,000 contrast ratio and the 120hz resolves most of the motion artifacts. My problem, my TV is not available yet: LED backlit (RGB, not white) LCD at 65"....it will be the best of both worlds, just not available yet.

Da Klugs
11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
A/B comparisions at the store can help you figure out "what you like". Once you get them home you will like what you see, (and hear) no matter what you buy so price should be a big consideration for all but the stupid rich. The hearing part many folks miss in the decision process. What surround sound system will you add to the new toy.

Contrast ratios, brightness and refresh rates are specs you should not ignore.... not just resolution.

mash
11-26-2008, 10:32 PM
A/B comparisions at the store can help you figure out "what you like". Once you get them home you will like what you see, (and hear) no matter what you buy so price should be a big consideration for all but the stupid rich. The hearing part many folks miss in the decision process. What surround sound system will you add to the new toy.

Contrast ratios, brightness and refresh rates are specs you should not ignore.... not just resolution.

The one caveat about comparing them in the store is a potential difference in set up. Particularly where they have the contrast and brightness at. That can make a big impact, if they are set up differently you may not be comparing apples to apples. Typically stores have those settings way up, what is referred to as "torch mode", to make them stand out. If you do get plasma, make sure to turn down the contrast when you get it home. If there is someone in your area that does ISF calibration, you may want to consider it.

KASR
11-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Am I the only one that's gonna pitch the "bang for the buck" value of an HDTV DLP???
There's smoking deals at tigerdirect for Mitsubishi 60+inch 1080p DLP's over there!
The thickness is about 15inch and horizontal width of anywhere from 53+ inches.

I'm hoping Santa brings me the 65inch model! :D

icantbejon
11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Does anyone know what Directv broadcasts? Are they 1080 or 720?

KASR
11-27-2008, 09:44 AM
1080i

AD720
11-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know what Directv broadcasts? Are they 1080 or 720?

I believe Direct TV does 1280x1080 (not the full 1920x1080 which = 1080i) for all of the HD channels now, which is often referred to as "HD-Lite".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Lite

KASR
11-27-2008, 09:48 AM
...which is often referred to as "HD-Lite".

It's HD with half the fat AND it's less filling!!! :D

ahc4353
11-27-2008, 09:51 AM
I picked up a 50 inch Vizio plasma from Costco. I love the damn thing. However, it can make the room very warm if left on for an extended period of time.

That's your girlfriend that is causing that, not the TV.

Glad I could help. :D

AD720
11-27-2008, 10:01 AM
It's HD with half the fat AND it's less filling!!! :D

Same great HD taste, half the calories!

ucla695
11-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Looks great, less filling.

Depending on where you shop, you might also want to bring along copies of some of your favorite movies so you can see how good they look on the TVs your considering.

shilala
11-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I have a couple 42" Toshiba plasmas and a 52" Toshiba DLP.
I love all of them.
I don't like the look of an LCD at all, still haven't seen one I'd take home.
Add to that, if the room is bright I can't see it.

Genetic Defect
11-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Am I the only one that's gonna pitch the "bang for the buck" value of an HDTV DLP???
There's smoking deals at tigerdirect for Mitsubishi 60+inch 1080p DLP's over there!

have a 50 inch Sammy DLP not a new LED one but still has a great picture :)

DragonMan
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I bought the Samsung Series 5 50" Plasma TV and the picture quality is great!! I have yet to see a LCD with as nice a picture as a Plasma. Good luck with your purchase Jon! :salute:

http://smilies.vidahost.com/games/ff/ff6/ff6bosses/whitedragon.gif

Genetic Defect
11-27-2008, 01:31 PM
I bought the Samsung Series 5 50" Plasma TV and the picture quality is great!! I have yet to see a LCD with as nice a picture as a Plasma. Good luck with your purchase Jon! :salute:

http://smilies.vidahost.com/games/ff/ff6/ff6bosses/whitedragon.gif

how do black helicopters look on it?

Rabidsquirrel
11-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Just bought a 46" Samsung 5 series LCD. I didn't like the way the plasmas looked.

JE3146
11-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Plasmas > LCD

The worst plasma will look equal to a mid line LCD. Enough said. And the burn-in thing is a wive's tale. Technology has overcome it. There may be IR, but that is not burn-in.

I use my Plasma for gaming, and after nearly 2 years. No signs of burnin.

Only thing to sway yourself to an LCD over the plasma is if you have a lot of windows in your living room, OR you have a small room that'd get too hot, too quickly. Plasmas put out a lot of heat.

DragonMan
11-27-2008, 07:01 PM
how do black helicopters look on it?

Quite real, especially with the surround sound!!! Good thing my cigars are not kept in the same room!! :lv

http://smilies.vidahost.com/games/ff/ff6/espers/bahamut.gif

Genetic Defect
11-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Quite real, especially with the surround sound!!! Good thing my cigars are not kept in the same room!! :lv

http://smilies.vidahost.com/games/ff/ff6/espers/bahamut.gif

:r:r to funny :)

icantbejon
11-28-2008, 02:03 PM
So I ended up changing my stance on the whole issue. I went with a 42" Samsung 1080p Plasma. It had great reviews and the price was right during all these crazy Black Friday deals. I also ended up getting a BluRay DVD player. I was gonna get the PS3, as it's BluRay, but I just don't play games so I saw no need to spend the extra $100. I have my wife picking it up tomorrow, as I still can't. I told her after she picks up the box, it should be the last time she touches the TV until I get home.

Buena Fortuna
11-28-2008, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=icantbejon;90893]So I ended up changing my stance on the whole issue. I went with a 42" Samsung 1080p Plasma. It had great reviews and the price was right during all these crazy Black Friday deals.

Nice pickup. You are going to love it!!

shvictor
11-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Santa (my wife) got me one today...Man I love that woman :ss

JE3146
11-28-2008, 07:27 PM
So I ended up changing my stance on the whole issue. I went with a 42" Samsung 1080p Plasma. It had great reviews and the price was right during all these crazy Black Friday deals. I also ended up getting a BluRay DVD player. I was gonna get the PS3, as it's BluRay, but I just don't play games so I saw no need to spend the extra $100. I have my wife picking it up tomorrow, as I still can't. I told her after she picks up the box, it should be the last time she touches the TV until I get home.

What blu-ray player if I may ask?

And that's... kinda mean about the wife thing :D

JE3146
11-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Biggest gripe I have with DLP's is the viewing angles. Not every room will allow proper viewing with a DLP, so it's tricky.

Other than that, they offer a great picture and as long as you get en LED model, then really no worry about bulbs.

D3uce
11-28-2008, 07:41 PM
In all, colors and blacks are better on plasma. LCD are lighter (lbs) and have a slower response and poor blacks/colors. Done loads of research on this topic, bought a 1080p plasma and it's beautiful. Plasma uses more electricity but are cheaper initially. LCD uses less power and cost more initially. Burn in is a thing of the past, you have to TRY to burn an image in, especially after about 100 hrs of use has passed. The whole "watch it with the lights off" thing is dependent on your setup. On or off, looks great in HD, as long as you are at the optimal viewing distance (sweet spot) which is different for each size and for LCD/plasma.

Bottom line, do your homework and you'll find your answers. In the end, it's what do you want to use it for.

Bruzee
11-28-2008, 08:15 PM

Good for you Bro.... Give us an update when you get a chance to use it and make up your mind abou it.

icantbejon
11-29-2008, 08:20 AM
What blu-ray player if I may ask?

And that's... kinda mean about the wife thing :D

Panasonic DMP-BD35K BD-Live Blu-ray Disc Player is what I got my hands on. I hope to enjoy this as well.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=223385&cc_fm=Recently+Viewed+Items

The wife had to be told, cause she'll break it. She's not at all technologically inclined. She plugs things in and they blow up. Seriously, it's insane.

shilala
11-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm excited to see how the blu-ray works out. I use an upconvert dvd player and my movies look stellar. For some reason I can't get excited about blu-ray. I suppose I need to come over and watch your tv to see why I need one. :)
You forgot to get surround sound. ;)

barbourjay
11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm excited to see how the blu-ray works out. I use an upconvert dvd player and my movies look stellar. For some reason I can't get excited about blu-ray. I suppose I need to come over and watch your tv to see why I need one. :)

i use to use an oppo player to do all of my converting. thought it looked great till i bought my 50" pioneer. then i hooked up my blu-ray player and got a new denon that can handle the new HD codecs for sound. haven't looked or thought back since. regular dvd's even up converted look/sound way worse. i'll try to post pics of my setup at some point.

icantbejon
11-29-2008, 12:57 PM

Surround sound is next. I have a JVC 5.1 at the house now, but I want to upgrade that as well. Had to stay within a certain budget though. You know, hard economic times and all.

CHRONO14
11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Panasonic DMP-BD35K BD-Live Blu-ray Disc Player is what I got my hands on. I hope to enjoy this as well.

Just picked up the same blu-ray player from amazon. Along with a 1080p 60" DLP that I got for a pretty good deal from BB. I can't wait till they finally get delivered. Congrats on the buy BTW.

AdamC
11-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I prefer LCD to Plasma...Plasma burns out too easily and the picture isn't that much better. Just a little. But with the burnout it's not worth the hassel. My boy went through 2 plasma's before he would listen. Get an LCD.

I got a 46" Sony Wega LCD 720p. I've had it for 3 years. Got my bluray hooked up and Sony 5.1 surround sound. My tv still looks better than a lot, I am a expert at Calibrating for HD

icantbejon
11-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Congrats on the buy BTW.

Thanks. I really look forward to plugging all this stuff in and experiencing HD.

barbourjay
11-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I prefer LCD to Plasma...Plasma burns out too easily and the picture isn't that much better. Just a little. But with the burnout it's not worth the hassel. My boy went through 2 plasma's before he would listen. Get an LCD.

I got a 46" Sony Wega LCD 720p. I've had it for 3 years. Got my bluray hooked up and Sony 5.1 surround sound. My tv still looks better than a lot, I am a expert at Calibrating for HD

not to be a know it all but your boy didn't do something right. plasma half life (half point of brightness) is generally over 100,000 hours now. as for burn in with proper break in done (using a disc that displays solid color schemes for a certain amount of time) burn in is non existant. i've owned 3 plasmas so far, each one was upgrading resolutions and there is NO LCD that can touch the picture quality and speed of my pioneer. the technology for LCD's is not near as close to higher end plasmas yet and even with 120hz there is still crazy motion blur. if you've never had a good plasma you probably wouldn't know what you are missing. the LCDers who work with me are amazed when they see true 24hz reproduction with TRUE blacks displayed on the TV.

LCD has one advantage. it's cheaper. the cons everyone lists for plasma are generally sales tactics to get people into a set with a higher profit margin.

SimonTemplar
11-29-2008, 04:15 PM
So what kind of cabinets/stands are you guys using? If you have it wall mounted; did you set up an entertainment storage unit underneath? I just got a 50" Samsung plasma for the family's Christmas, and I'm looking at all options. I want to be able to hide all the movies and kids games. Pics would be great.

I'm thinking about using a vintage credenza. Fits our decorating. Something like this:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/ashlea30/Rosewoodcredenzamstr.jpg

Rabidsquirrel
11-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I haven't noticed any motion blur on my LCD.

barbourjay
11-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I haven't noticed any motion blur on my LCD.

i have even with the 120hz.

the fact is that LCD's have slower response time and longer processing time. if you've never had a plasma you wouldn't notice it.

AD720
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
i have even with the 120hz.

the fact is that LCD's have slower response time and longer processing time. if you've never had a plasma you wouldn't notice it.

:tpd:

I'll go even further and say if it's your first big screen or HD you probably would not even notice.

Before my plasma I had a 51 inch CRT. Coming off that I could barely stand the motion blurs on the LCDs in the stores and I couldn't get past the grayish blacks.

It was plasma or new generation DLP (I can see the "iris" in the older sets) for me and the aesthetics of a plasma was a better fit for us. :2

That being said I would get a 22 or 26 inch LCD for the bedroom in a heart beat but the prices on the smaller sets just aren't dropping low enough right now. I refuse to pay $350 for 22 inch when I can get a 32 inch for $400.

acruce
11-29-2008, 06:02 PM

The company that installed my TV recommended a DVD player with HDMI and upscaling.They said the picture quality is just as good. Now I don't have a blue ray player to compare it to but my picture quality is awsome.

AD720
11-29-2008, 06:04 PM
i use to use an oppo player to do all of my converting. thought it looked great till i bought my 50" pioneer. then i hooked up my blu-ray player and got a new denon that can handle the new HD codecs for sound. haven't looked or thought back since. regular dvd's even up converted look/sound way worse. i'll try to post pics of my setup at some point.

I've got an Oppo too, I got it last spring when I was still sort of waiting out the Blu-ray/HDDVD thing. I figured I might as well get a really good Dvd player while I still can. :r

It is a stellar player though.

DBall
11-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I just (like Friday) bought one...

Panasonic Viera TH-50PX80U

Holy crap is this thing incredible... and it was a black Friday special... $863 (total, with tax) for a 50". The only concession I had to make was that Shell would be able to buy a new bedspread. Sounds like a fair deal to me... :D

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/89-187-045-07.jpg

I haven't tried watching it in the daylight yet (as I heard plasma's suck for that), but this has some glare-proof screen... we'll see how that goes.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

icantbejon
11-30-2008, 08:59 AM
I bought the 42" version of this TV so it's good to know that you like it. Another review to let me know that I made a solid purchase.

MikeyC
11-30-2008, 09:09 AM
A few months ago, I bought this TV:

http://images.panasonic.com/static/models/th-50pz85u.jpg

It's a 50" plasma 1080 with a nice gloss black surround. The picture is really incredible and I've been very happy with it. I got plasma because the room I keep it in doesn't get huge amounts of sunlight and because I felt that even though LCD screens have improved plasma still has a higher quality picture especially when viewing action movies or sports.

The 3 years 0% interest financing Best Buy offered didn't hurt either! :tu

Rabidsquirrel
11-30-2008, 10:16 AM
The 3 years 0% interest financing Best Buy offered didn't hurt either! :tu

Watch out for that. I got a 6 months 0% interest deal when I bought my laptop. Even though I had payed the laptop off in 5 months, I was still charged interest.

parafumar
11-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I think you have to pay 5 minutes before they cut the bill or they charge you interest anyway.

:c

JE3146
11-30-2008, 01:31 PM

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=223385&cc_fm=Recently+Viewed+Items

The wife had to be told, cause she'll break it. She's not at all technologically inclined. She plugs things in and they blow up. Seriously, it's insane.

You got a damn good Blu-ray player. Seriously one of the better ones in that price tier. Congrats on that.

And as for the wife... :r:r:r

I'm beginning to see your logic on that one :D

JE3146
11-30-2008, 01:35 PM
So what kind of cabinets/stands are you guys using? If you have it wall mounted; did you set up an entertainment storage unit underneath? I just got a 50" Samsung plasma for the family's Christmas, and I'm looking at all options. I want to be able to hide all the movies and kids games. Pics would be great.

I'm thinking about using a vintage credenza. Fits our decorating. Something like this:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/ashlea30/Rosewoodcredenzamstr.jpg

Just consider the fact that a 50" Plasma is gonna weigh about 200 lbs, so make sure the table is rated to carry that much weight :D

Never and I mean never, put one on top of a glass table. So consider that as well.

DBall
11-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Just consider the fact that a 50" Plasma is gonna weigh about 200 lbs...

Mine weighs <80lbs... a lot of them that I saw were pretty light (considering what and how big they are).

SimonTemplar
11-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Just consider the fact that a 50" Plasma is gonna weigh about 200 lbs, so make sure the table is rated to carry that much weight :D

Never and I mean never, put one on top of a glass table. So consider that as well.

Thank you. Sorry for the off topic post!

Weight is still a concern; even though the specs say it only weighs 82lbs. with the stand. Just curios as to how many of you are hanging yours -vs- setting them on a stand. I have this nightmarish thought of it crashing down off the wall.:rolleyes:

Just got confirm' that the TV is in!:dance: Now to get this cabinet done(decided to build one out of poplar and do a zebrawood veneer); and get it hooked up! Hope it's easy!!

barbourjay
11-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Thank you. Sorry for the off topic post!

Weight is still a concern; even though the specs say it only weighs 82lbs. with the stand. Just curios as to how many of you are hanging yours -vs- setting them on a stand. I have this nightmarish thought of it crashing down off the wall.:rolleyes:

Just got confirm' that the TV is in!:dance: Now to get this cabinet done(decided to build one out of poplar and do a zebrawood veneer); and get it hooked up! Hope it's easy!!

my 50inch is hung on the wall. no problems holding my entire 200lb body weight. it screwed into the studs with 6 by half inch screws in multiple places. never had a concern with it falling off ever.

JE3146
11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Mine weighs <80lbs... a lot of them that I saw were pretty light (considering what and how big they are).

No kidding?

My 42" weighs like 100 lbs and the 50" I was looking at was like at around 175ish.

200 lbs was exaggerating I guess, but that seems odd that they don't weigh as much as they did a couple years back. Mine is built like a slab of concrete in the back. The heatsinks must be made of lead :D

fxpose
11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
We have a 40" LCD hanging in our kitchen.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/jojisan/WifesTV.jpg

TonySmith
11-30-2008, 04:12 PM
This is a great and timely thread. I'm interested in moving up to a bigger tv.
It appears the longevity issue has been put to rest. One thing that has been mentioned is the heat dissapation of a plasma, would be alright in the winter but not so good in the summer. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks for the input

JE3146
11-30-2008, 07:05 PM
It appears the longevity issue has been put to rest. One thing that has been mentioned is the heat dissapation of a plasma, would be alright in the winter but not so good in the summer. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks for the input

If you have central air, then don't even worry about heat output at all.

In the hottest months of summer... (this is in Oregon though :D )... where we have no AC... the most I have to do is keep a fan going, but I need that regardless of the TV or not as it's so hot out.

In the winter though, it seems to help heat the place nicely. Personally I think adding a few extra people to the room for movie night puts more heat in the room than the TV, but that's me.

mosesbotbol
11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Plasma for overall picture, but bang for the buck go for LCD.

barbourjay
11-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the input

i'm in FL and summers are hotter than balls. never had any problems with the heat.

Cigary
11-30-2008, 10:21 PM

You should actually buy the PS3 because you can not only have a game to play but it also plays the HI DEF movies,,you get 2 birds with one stone. From what I read the BluRay will go the way of the LaserDisc in another year but PS3 will be around a bit longer.

JE3146
11-30-2008, 11:57 PM
You should actually buy the PS3 because you can not only have a game to play but it also plays the HI DEF movies,,you get 2 birds with one stone. From what I read the BluRay will go the way of the LaserDisc in another year but PS3 will be around a bit longer.

I believe the number was like 2 million blu-ray discs sold in the month of October this year alone.

A year ago, it was barely 400,000 in the same month.

The Dark Knight is going to be the first movie to ship over 1 million discs.

Player prices are constantly hitting the sub 200$ mark and Blu-ray sales were clearly evident EVERYWHERE this black friday.

Blu-ray isn't going anywhere.... as much as people love to think.

jjirons69
12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Panasonic DMP-BD35K BD-Live Blu-ray Disc Player is what I got my hands on.

+1 for the Blu-Ray. The best non-PS3 player.

Try cnet for all your questions. I love this site. Great job with TV reviews, too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/

vicvitola
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Regarding LCD screens have a tendency to blur images, that was true for older generation (higher pixel response) LCD screens. On newer models it is almost negligible. Just as negligable as the "burn in" issues on Plasma now.

Viewing angles are also siginificantly better on newer LCD sets now.

Regarding life expectancy, it is reassuring to know you will most likely get 60,000 plus hours with an LCD. Great point to consider if you are looking for a work horse TV in the well lit family room that the kids are going to punish.

RGD.
12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
. . .

Blu-ray isn't going anywhere.... as much as people love to think.

Personally I look forward to the day that I actually pick up a Blu-Ray player. But that date will have to wait on two things - one I get the basement remodeled (with new tv set and theater system - and the most important - when I can burn my own Blu-Ray movies.

Regarding LCD screens have a tendency to blur images, that was true for older generation (higher pixel response) LCD screens. On newer models it is almost negligible. Just as negligable as the "burn in" issues on Plasma now.

Regarding life expectancy, it is reassuring to know you will most likely get 60,000 plus hours with an LCD. Great point to consider if you are looking for a work horse TV in the well lit family room that the kids are going to punish.

I have never noticed any blurring on my Sony Bravia. But yes I have seen it on other sets.

Plasma verse LCD - two different types cause one is not perfect for everyone. I tend to pause what I am watching quite often - sometimes for an hour or so. I also have my computer hooked up to it - can't do that with a Plasma. So really each person needs to decide what's best for them.

That said - once the basement is remodeled I will buy a Plasma for that room. Lighting will be lower, no computers hooked up to it - no games connected to it.

Ron

LasciviousXXX
12-02-2008, 06:02 PM
- and the most important - when I can burn my own Blu-Ray movies.

Blu-Ray burners are becoming cheaper and cheaper by the day my friend :D

I tend to pause what I am watching quite often - sometimes for an hour or so. I also have my computer hooked up to it - can't do that with a Plasma.

Actually with today's technology you can my friend. Most HD DVR's as well as Blu-Ray/DVD players come with a screen saver function so that even if you do pause for an hour, the set is still fine. ;)

barbourjay
12-02-2008, 06:47 PM

here's the only thing i will comment on about LCD's again. i still see blur. when i purchased my pioneer mid-way through the year all the manufacturers had released this years models LCD's and i ended up trying 5 of them out at my house before i decided LCD was not for me. all had motion blur issues especially with 24p play back on blu-ray. some were over processed causing the film to look fake or sped-up. some were too laggy and comparing two LCD's side by side one would sometimes be almost a quarter second behind if not more. keep in mind a plasma doesn't have a 4ms response time like LCD's do, they are way way faster than LCD's.

BTW, LCD's should last longer than 60k and plasma are way above that marker for half life now.

if anyone is still wanting to learn more i'd highly recommend avsforum. i've been a member there for more than a few years now.

current setup

denon 1909
klipsch rf-82's
klipsch rc-62
klipsch rs-52
klipsch R-2650-C
Epik Castle sub
Gik acoustic panels and a few bass traps
Pioneer 5010
samsung bdp-1500 (won it at work :) )

shilala
12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
here's the only thing i will comment on about LCD's again. i still see blur.

They look blurry to me, too.
I just flat don't like them for a whole bunch of reasons. I'd rather have a tube when it gets right down to it.
It's a matter of preference, I suppose. I say that because I wouldn't have an ED plasma, either. It looks like I'm watching tv through a screen door.
I can't tell a quality difference between most plasmas, although some dlp's really suck.
All my tv's (2hd plasmas and one dlp, all toshiba) have "cable clear" software that cleans up bad cable signals beautifully. Even the worst channels look decent.
At this point I'm a full throttle Toshiba fanboi, but they've earned it.
They're good stuff. If it weren't for Toshiba I'd definately have Samsungs because I like their picture, too.
I've heard wonderful things said about Panasonic but I just don't like their picture the way I like Toshiba and Samsung. Samsung stuff is a lot more expensive or I'd have bought them in the first place.

RGD.
12-03-2008, 12:10 AM
. . .

current setup

denon 1909

How do you like the 1909? I have the 3808CI (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3510.asp) upstairs and was looking at the 2808CI or the 1909 which I really like also for the downstairs.

I joined AVForums a while back when trying to figure out some programing on the 3808 but never posted the question(s). My electrician (certified Denon dealer/installer who I bought it through) stopped by to help and went through my whole setup for me.
But I have done a whole ton of reading there over - boat load of info.

Ron

RGD.
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Blu-Ray burners are becoming cheaper and cheaper by the day my friend :D

I know - keeping an eye on them :D
Doubt I will get to the basement until next summer - so I have a while.

Actually with today's technology you can my friend. Most HD DVR's as well as Blu-Ray/DVD players come with a screen saver function so that even if you do pause for an hour, the set is still fine. ;)

I have Cox cable and their DVR - which will actually blank the screen out. They are finishing up installing the Verizon Fios lines on my street - so looking to change over as soon as it's ready. Suppose to have been available last month. Looking forward to at least tripling my internet speeds - :ss

Ron

barbourjay
12-03-2008, 06:25 AM
How do you like the 1909? I have the 3808CI (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3510.asp) upstairs and was looking at the 2808CI or the 1909 which I really like also for the downstairs.

I joined AVForums a while back when trying to figure out some programing on the 3808 but never posted the question(s). My electrician (certified Denon dealer/installer who I bought it through) stopped by to help and went through my whole setup for me.
But I have done a whole ton of reading there over - boat load of info.

Ron

i love it, dynamic volume is great for everyday TV watching. i got a great deal on the unit at the time from an online dealer and it was like 25$ over cost as a promotion. way more than enough to run my high sensitivity speakers.

barbourjay
12-03-2008, 06:26 AM
I have Cox cable and their DVR - which will actually blank the screen out. They are finishing up installing the Verizon Fios lines on my street - so looking to change over as soon as it's ready. Suppose to have been available last month. Looking forward to at least tripling my internet speeds - :ss

Ron

i had brighthouse before and now i've got fios. i get a ton more channels in HD but the picture quality is all really the same.

RGD.
12-03-2008, 08:36 AM
i had brighthouse before and now i've got fios. i get a ton more channels in HD but the picture quality is all really the same.

I currently have 75 HD channels - with exactly four HD movie channels - one each of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz - :mad:

Ron

Resipsa
12-03-2008, 10:28 AM
was looking at the 2808CI or the 1909 which I really like also for the downstairs.

Ron I recently got the 988, (same thing as the 2808CI basically but branded for the big box stores)

You can get a 988 or 2808 for about 50 more than the 1909 and it is a FAR superior piece of equipment than the 1909 (Burr-Brown DAC's, etc).

The only advantage the 1909, or any of the 9 series may have, is Dynamic volume which the 8 series didn't have. For me the 988 was a better choice.

barbourjay
12-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I recently got the 988, (same thing as the 2808CI basically but branded for the big box stores)

You can get a 988 or 2808 for about 50 more than the 1909 and it is a FAR superior piece of equipment than the 1909 (Burr-Brown DAC's, etc).

The only advantage the 1909, or any of the 9 series may have, is Dynamic volume which the 8 series didn't have. For me the 988 was a better choice.

i almost bought the 2808, i played then at the local shop over and over again and i couldn't hear the difference. i could hear the difference when dynamic volume was engaged for normal tv watching. i ended up with the 1909.

the problem with receivers is that they are like cigars. one person can hear a difference while the other can't.

Resipsa
12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
i almost bought the 2808, i played then at the local shop over and over again and i couldn't hear the difference. i could hear the difference when dynamic volume was engaged for normal tv watching. i ended up with the 1909.

the problem with receivers is that they are like cigars. one person can hear a difference while the other can't.While I agree that, to date, people like Dynamic Volume, as a matter of the hardware and software features the 1909 isn't in the same class as the 988/2808. No way I was going to spend the same amount of money on a machine that is way outclassed just for one feature, when there were a TON of features the 2808 has that the 1909 doesn't, and from a technogical/hardware standpoint the 2808 is far superior.

The real comparison is the 2808/988 to the 2809, which is simply the 2808 with Dynamic Volume added to it. My GF scored the 988 for $500 for me as a xmas present. Best price for the 2809 right now, if you can still get the Black Friday price, is $750. Not worth it to me for her to spend half again as much for one single feature that's unproven. To get the 988 at $500 when a year ago it was selling for $1,200 is an absolute steal. A year or two from now I'll be able to sell it for what she paid for it and upgrade again if I want, while a year from now I'll be able to grab a 1909 for around $250.

For me it wasn't really a difficult decision, but everyone has their own wants and needs.

RGD.
12-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Didn't know that - but the 2808 was my first pick and top of the list. I haven't shopped price yet as my basement isn't done yet. Just making my list and planning on what wires and cables I'll need to be running - :D

the problem with receivers is that they are like cigars. one person can hear a difference while the other can't.

Isn't that the truth! For me though - I don't have the "have to keep up with the Jone's" syndrome. The 3808 just replaced my old JVC setup from 1985. Matter of fact I just gave my daughter the JBL's from that setup which still crank to take back to college with her.

So hopefully the 3808 will give me the same years of service.

Ron