PDA

View Full Version : Drymistat Customer Service

Country313
09-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Not really impressed!!

Heres Why:

1st email:
I recently purchased a few drymistat tubes the other day and placed them in a tupperware container with my hygrometer to make sure they were working. they were only putting out 62% RH. I added water and filled to the line. I placed the tube back in the container and now it's putting out 80%. Is there a way for me to bring the level down closer to 70% rather quickly?

1st Response;
Where did you purchase this drymistat from?

Thank you,
Jeff Oster
President
DryMistat inc.
jeff@drymistat.com
954-974-5230
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really?!?! I understand wanting to know this, but how about helping the consumer who paid for your product before worrying about the retailer!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO I was a good sport and replied;

Not sure the name of the store. They are located in Southfield, Mi. On Southfield road south of 12 mile. I would really like to be able to put cigars in the container asap. Will you please let me know how to fix this or at least tell me I wasted my money so I can buy something else

The response I recieved was;

You certainly didn’t waste your money. You should only need 1 drymistat in a Tupperware container. I would put the cigars in and check it again. We have sold over 1 million units in the past 10 years and the beautiful thing is the drymistat is self regulating. Do you know how accurate the hygrometer is?

Thank you,
Jeff Oster
President
DryMistat inc.
jeff@drymistat.com
954-974-5230

Ok, I figured, no we're getting somewhere right? So I respond again

My response;

My hygrometer is digital and is +1%. It was last calibrated (9/19/2011). If it is self regulating it shouldn't matter if there are cigars in the container or not. I am not going to put cigars in the container until I am sure that the rh level is where it should be

This is the last I have heard from anyone. I'm sorry but I do not agree with the way this issue is being handled. Customer Service is about Serving the Customer

pnoon
09-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Cigars in the humidor most certainly make a difference.
How long before you say the beads were "putting out" 80% humidity?

FWIW - this hobby/obsession requires patience. Wanting results quickly will only frustrate you and cause you to tinker with things that should be left to stabilize on their own.

Finally, my impression to your first reply (and all of them for that matter) to the manufacturer had a tone that did nothing to make this a pleasant exchange. Yes, the manufacturer should be working to help the customer but they work harder for those that are cooperative.

:2

T.G
09-24-2011, 09:37 AM
The response I recieved was;

You certainly didn’t waste your money. You should only need 1 drymistat in a Tupperware container. I would put the cigars in and check it again. We have sold over 1 million units in the past 10 years and the beautiful thing is the drymistat is self regulating. Do you know how accurate the hygrometer is?

Country, Drymistat tubes are PG gel, similar to the humi-care jars. They will absorb excess humidity out of the air, but not as quickly as beads (heartfelt or HCM) will. They do work, and yes, having cigars in there will help. Another thing to keep in mind is that the tupperware is (near) air tight and depending on how small the container is, that one tube could be overkill and maybe a single Boveda pack would have been a better option. :2

ysr_racer
09-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I use Boveda packs, and they work well.

CigarNut
09-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Cigars in the humidor most certainly make a difference....

FWIW - this hobby/obsession requires patience. Wanting results quickly will only frustrate you and cause you to tinker with things that should be left to stabilize on their own.
...Peter made some very good points here -- there is nothing to regulate in an empty tupperware humidor so your humidity will be out of wack. In tupperware there is no wood to absorb the excess moisture so it stays in the air. Put your cigars in there and check them in a week or two. Yes, a week or two.

Next, everything takes time. A little patience goes a long way. Your cigars will not change overnight -- they need lots of time to absorb or give off moisture, ammonia, hydrocarbons. Give them time.

Finally, cigars are much more resiliant than people give them credit for. If the RH is too low or too high for a few days or a week (or even longer) -- it won't harm them. And, once the RH is corrected your cigars will come back around (slowly as always) and be fine.

CigarNut
09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I use Boveda packs, and they work well.Personally, I think Boveda packs are a much better product than the Drymistat tubes.

Boveda packs regulate RH, while Drimistat simply release and absorb moisture.

Beads are best :)

Country313
09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
I guess I should have posted here originally rather than emailing the company. Way more help here! THANK YOU ALL!!

Bill86
09-24-2011, 01:47 PM
You could have left it at 62RH and been fine.

Boveda packs are a better option though.

68TriShield
09-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Naked Tupperware is not an optimal storage option,I agree.

RonC
09-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Bovedas work perfectly in Tupperware.

my opinion is that the drymistat works as advertised in wood humidors that breathe a little bit. In airtight containers, it seems that they do not absorb excess humidity as well as the hovers