PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have thoughts on the Liga Privada No.9?

KASR
11-26-2008, 08:34 AM
I've been meaning to try one of these, so i finally pulled the trigger and scooped a pair of the No. 9 Beli's. I'm gonna try this them weekend, but wanted to get some fellow inmates thoughts on them. What should I expect?

MadAl
11-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I found them really tasty but really strong (nicotene content-wise). Have a number of them, really like them but gotta find the right time of day

Jason
11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Aldukes says these are tastey, not sure he ever got a bite on his box split query... keep dat in mind if you like em

jovenhut
11-27-2008, 10:45 AM
KASR you will love them. Strong, Flavor Bombs. Kinda like a mix between a Paddy Anni 26 and an Anejo

montecristo#2
11-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I didn't realize they had more than one size of these.

I found the toro sized one to be a little one dimensional. Not a bad cigar, typical Nicaraguan puro flavor profile, but for me, definitely not worth the price. I would smoke one again though.

BHowe
11-27-2008, 11:10 AM
I had one early in my cigar career (6 months ago), and remember it being pretty tasty, but way on the strong side. If I remember correctly I smoked it on an empty stomach while grilling.

tobii3
11-27-2008, 11:12 AM
I didn't realize they had more than one size of these.

That is their newest thing - the LP#9's were one size only from the beginning - and yes, they are EXCELLENT!

Genetic Defect
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM
very tasty but IMO not above avg. Strong :)

groogs
11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I didn't find these to be real strong, but they were tasty. They had a nice creamy flavor. I have one more in the humi, but I won't be buying any more because there are so many other great cigars in that price range, but it was a good smoke.

alley00p
11-27-2008, 11:47 AM
I was gifted with one of these, and I found it was very flavorful, albeit a tad strong.

I would definately smoke another of these! :ss

:dance::dance::dance:

Cigary
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Glad to read these reviews on here. I got a couple at a B&M here in Atlanta that was having a sale with 25% off,,,will let it rest in the humi for a couple of months and see if that tames down the strength.

Beagleone
11-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Tried several and found that although they were strong, they just didn't live up to the hype for me. IMHO not worth the price.

Darrell
11-27-2008, 09:55 PM
I had one, it was :sleep:.

SmokinAFuente
11-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Killer smoke! Love 'em!!

I believe there will be a new size and a price drop (~$1) coming soon.

Asher
11-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Here's a review I posted as part of a blind review contest on another board several months ago:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=836&stc=1&d=1227920929

Appearance (15/15): My expectations for this cigar were high. The cigar was approximately 6 inches long with a ring gauge of about 52, covered by a very toothy dark maduro wrapper, as you can see in the pictures.

This cigar was firm to the touch and showed no significant flaws. The foot revealed consistent bunching, and the head was finished with an attractive double-cap.

The pre-light aroma had faint citrus notes. So far, so good. Unfortunately, it was downhill after this point.

Ash (8/10): The ash was dark gray and showed significant grain. When the burn was uneven, some light-gray ash from the binder was visible. The ash was solid and consistent, and held for about an inch and a half before dropping.

Draw (10/10): The draw was excellent, neither too loose nor too tight.

Burn (7/10): The burn was uneven, though it eventually would correct itself. The wrapper was thick, and the burn problems were particularly noticeable at the edges of the wrapper leaf.

Smoke (9/10): There was plenty of thick, white smoke. The first half-inch or so produced slightly less smoke than I like, but besides that the smoke volume and appearance was excellent.

Flavor/Blend (13/20): Unfortunately, there's not much to say about the flavor of this cigar. The initial aroma smelled of sweet wood: cedar and hints of sandalwood. The flavor was a muddled mix, not unpleasant, but lacking any discernable flavors. After an inch or so, a faint citrus flavor emerged. This was followed by a coppery taste that wasn't overwhelming, but detracted from the already bland taste. Very little flavor development followed. In the second third, I tasted charred wood. The final third was a bit harsher, and delivered a mild cedar flavor. The flavors were never particularly unpleasant, just bland and boring.

Uniqueness (6/10): There's not much to say here, since the cigar lacked well-defined, distinct flavors.

Finish (12/15): The harshness and copper taste detracted from the finish. I smoked the cigar until about an inch and a half remained (about 1.5 hours), and it was pleasant enough that I wasn't fighting an urge to pitch the cigar. I wouldn't smoke this cigar again when trying to relax and enjoy a fine smoke, but it would be an adequate "yard 'gar."

Total Score: 80/100