PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a humidor

Goldfinger
09-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Since getting into the cigar hobby I'm seriously thinking about buying a humidor to keep in my room. Since I'm always on the move between my home and college I was thinking about buying this travel humidor that I saw at one of the local shops. It's a travel humidor that would fit my needs and has gotten overall good reviews on amazon, but I want to hear what some of the more experienced members think? Since quality needs to be precise with a humidor.

Also on a somewhat unrelated note, since I'm just getting into the hobby is it a little too premature to get a humidor?

In any case here is the product in question,

http://www.amazon.com/5-Cigar-Travel-Humidor/dp/B000WI3UC0

Doctorossi
09-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Also on a somewhat unrelated note, since I'm just getting into the hobby is it a little too premature to get a humidor?

I would say it's only too early if you lack confidence that you'll still be enjoying cigars in, say, two years' time. :2

Bill86
09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I think that's not a bad idea to start with traveler. I'd get a 10-15 though.

Blak Smyth
09-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I think that's not a bad idea to start with traveler. I'd get a 10-15 though.

^---- Same thoughts!

DPD6030
09-22-2011, 02:32 PM
30 count would be my suggestion. If you find the slope like the rest you'll eventually have desktops, coolers and a vinotemp and possibly a walk-in :D

Ogre
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Save yourself the money. Buy a 50qt cooler with a tight lid. Spend the money on cigars!! Just my opinion. They also travel real well.

DMK
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
or if you post a pic of an empty humi......:r:r
You'll be looking at coolers and a Vino before you know it...:hy

timj219
09-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I started with a small (it holds about 10 cigars) tupperware container and a boveda pack. I actually had the tupperware already and just repurposed it. Total cost was about $4 for the boveda. That was over a year ago and though I've added more storage since then, I still use that original tupperware for travel.
If you do that you'll be able to treat yourself to some very nice cigars with the money you saved.

shilala
09-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I have a 5, 10, and 15 Cigar Caddy. I'm pretty sure I got them all from Ron. His prices beat your link. (http://www.cigarsolutions.com/categories/Cigar-Caddy/)
If you join his email list you can get another 10% off, as well. The 10 and 15 are a far better value and you can fit your lighter and cutter in there. I like the 5 because it fits in my car door.
I think it's a great idea, by the way.

CigarNut
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Since you are new to cigars and don't know much yet, I would get yourself an inexpensive rubbermaid or tupperware container (one made for storing food). You can get one pretty cheaply and they will take care of your cigars quite well. You can use beads or a Boveda Pack to keep it humidified. Once you get more into this (slide further down the "Slippery Slope") you can get yourself something bigger as well as a travel humidor.

Just my :2

mosesbotbol
09-22-2011, 08:25 PM
How many days will you go between home and college? Is price a major concern or utility?

Humidors can be pretty inexpensive; check Craigslist for them.

CigarSquid
09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
30 count... or bigger is what I would do if I was in your shoes.

deadrise
09-22-2011, 10:21 PM
http://tinyurl.com/3qg4s3b lots of nice small humis can be had for 20 bucks part of the experience is learning how to keep your cigars properly