PDA

View Full Version : Fiscal Responsibility

N2Advnture
11-26-2008, 05:08 AM
This has been on my mind for quite some time and only write this with the most heartfelt intentions.

I have noticed something that is a little disturbing to me but really none of my business but as a friend to many, I thought it best to express my views. (especially with newer/younger BOTLs)

The problem?

I've noticed many BOTLs who are over extended on their credit in the name of acquiring more cigars. I've heard some disturbing balances being maintained on their credit cards due to large number of purchases of cigars.

I believe that with the amount of discussions in the forums, pictures of collections being shown, crazy sales by retailers, that it is easy to get caught up in the "keeping with the Jones'" mentality but I would be remiss if I didn't express my concern.

PLEASE keep in mind that cigars are a hobby and should be BUDGETED for and is SOLELY based on disposable income. You SHOULD NOT be "investing" in cigars - they are a consumable that are susceptible to damage (fire, water, improper storage, beetles, theft, etc...).

People talk about a "cigar budget" and we all laugh when we blow that budget. But like any other aspect of your life, you REALLY should have a "cigar budget" and stick that budget the same as you would for emergency savings (6+ months), vacation savings, retirement, etc...

The senseless act of carrying credit card debt just to amass a cigar collect is not fiscally responsible and you are doing yourself a disservice in the long run.

The one thing that I have learned over the nearly 2 decades of being into cigars is that it's is not about the cigars. The cigars are just a compliment to the commaradarie. Yeah, the cigars are good but meeting new people and developing longer term friendships has been the best part of the hobby to me. There are many people that I now consider friends (some stay at my home) and I wouldn't have met them otherwise.

My point?

In the great scheme of the cigar community, cigar are meaningless and should not be coveted to the point where we throw away common sense and fiscal responsibility.

So please, take a step back and look at YOUR financial plan (if you don't have one, then make one!). It is your responsibility to take care of your financial security.

Happy smoking my friends.

~Mark

68TriShield
11-26-2008, 05:14 AM
Me thinks Mark was looking in the mirror when he typed this ;)

Seriously though,this is sage advice Mark.

Thanks for posting it :tu

Ron1YY
11-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Words of Wisedom that should be heeded!!!!!!

This should be a Sticky!!!!!!!!!!

macpappy
11-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Thanks Mark. I have been thinking along the same lines myself and while I don't have a cigar budget per se, I believe I have a reasonable approach that works for me. I'm self employed and have a set number of clients that I can count on for a solid base income every week. Usually once or twice a month I have small jobs come in that aren't on my weekly schedule. I take half of the income from the "non-scheduled" work and that's what the wife and I use for splurge spending - I use mine to buy cigars.

I have never been able to wrap my mind around the whole "invest in cigars" thing. In my mind, "invest" means you're going to see a profit from your expenditure. When I buy cigars I know I'm not going to re-sell them so there is no profit.

Now I do admit that I have a small stockpile for future enjoyment, but that's different.

Buena Fortuna
11-26-2008, 05:27 AM
Absolutely! Cash is king, debt is death...

BroncoHorvath
11-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Great post Mark. Hopefully some of the people in those situations will take your advice seriously. Bottom line, don't spend money you don't have.:2

TripleF
11-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Great advise Mark!! Thanks. In 2 years of smoking cigars I have yet to charge any cigar, or cigar related purchase.

Unfortunately most who read this, will not reply because charging and paying the minimum monthly fee is the way of life in today's world.

RGD.
11-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Yep - good post. Also reminded me that I had another responsibility in a group buy on another board that I was remiss in (apologies Mark - taken care of).

Personally though - cigars are one of those things that I don't use the credit card on - but I already have a budget in place (mostly - :ss)

Ron

rck70
11-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Don't be Slave to the Lender........Cash is King....

DBall
11-26-2008, 06:27 AM
100% agree... I haven't charged any cigar purchases. Ever. If I don't have the money in my checking account and enough to cover what else needs to be taken care of, I'm not buying... plain and simple.

Well written post, Mark :tu

elderboy02
11-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Nice post sir! :tu Now..... I can't wait for your Black Friday sale.. :D

Redbaron
11-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Great post MArk!

I learned along time ago from some wise older BOTL, if you cant afford what your smoking you won't trully enjoy the cigar.

The other lesson learned over the years is, and your 100% right MArk, its not about the cigar, its about the experiance. The experiance of bonding with great BOTL and relaxing. I've been extremely lucky to try some cigars, that I could never afford and I trully appreciate the guys that allowed me to take a puff here and there.

ucla695
11-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Well said Mark. Cigars are a luxury and not a necessity. :)

Tombstone
11-26-2008, 06:47 AM
If anyone is interested in getting out of debt...I suggest Dave Ramsey's plan. I followed his suggestions and paid off about 17k of debt in 6 months. Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW, as the status symbol of choice!

rck70
11-26-2008, 06:49 AM
If anyone is interested in getting out of debt...I suggest Dave Ramsey's plan. I followed his suggestions and paid off about 17k of debt in 6 months. Debt is dumb, cash is king, and the paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW, as the status symbol of choice!

Live like no one else so later you can LIVE like no on else

Tenor CS
11-26-2008, 07:06 AM

Is there a specific book or website or something you recommend for this?

Edited to add: Also, as a retailer, I think that Mark has a unique and useful insight into this.

Tombstone
11-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Is there a specific book or website or something you recommend for this?

Edited to add: Also, as a retailer, I think that Mark has a unique and useful insight into this.

Try the links below. If you are motivated and follow his rules it will work!!

http://www.daveramsey.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Money-Makeover-Financial-Fitness/dp/0785289089/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227709042&sr=8-1

TripleF
11-26-2008, 07:26 AM

How'd I know you'd be in here Tombstone? :tu :tu

auburnfan1980
11-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Words of Wisedom that should be heeded!!!!!!

This should be a Sticky!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed....a sticky this must become. This is a hard lesson I've had to learn and over the past few months, sat down, faced the harsh realization that at the rate I was spending, more money was going out than was coming in. I, too, felt the need to "keep up with the Joneses," and this is not necessary with the fine folks on this forum. Let me say that again: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO OVEREXTEND YOURSELF FINANCIALLY TO KEEP UP WITH EVERYONE ELSE'S CIGAR COLLECTION!!! We will all "ooooh! and ahhhh!" over it, but take it from someone who knows...you will hurt in the end. There are some great people on this board who could honestly care less whether or not you have 2,000 premium cigars or 2 bargain sticks in your humidor....they just appreciate your friendship. If this place ever had any sort of "elitist" feel to it, I'd certainly not be here. During this time of Thanksgiving, i'm thankful for a place to meet with like-minded individuals for a few moments of each day. I hope all of you have a very safe and happy holiday with your families, and as always....smoke 'em IF you've got em! :ss

Jason

Tombstone
11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
How'd I know you'd be in here Tombstone? :tu :tu

Great minds think alike.:r

Mugen910
11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Great advice Mark! I will be honest...when I first started in May I overextended myself with credit cards...not because I wanted to "Keep up with the Jones'" but because I usually jump in head first in most things I do. I have however been diligent in making cash be king. If I can't afford it on cash (not just cigars but in general) then I cannot afford to put myself in more debt.

bigloo
11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
There is definately a lot of over spending going on. I am fortunate in that I am doing well currently and feel for guys loosing jobs, etc. However, over the last three weeks I have made several purchases on various forums from guys essentially needing cash, I did not need these sticks, I did it as I felt I was helping some folks out. Some of these were fair, some I got screwed but I never complained as I felt my $25-50 was helping a botl out. Truth is, my $25 is not going to help someone pay the rent. To a large degree I am beginning to think that the WTS sections on the various boards might contribute to the "cigars are an investment" mentality. I have sold cigars once on the forums because I did not have room for them, thats OK although I should not have bought in the first place right? Selling cigars you dont like, thats also OK. Selling swag, same argument, should we have bought it in the first place? (Hell, I admit, I am trying to sell swag now). But selling cigars to meet the rent is not good. I know this will sound like me being a royal a$$hole, but if you have debt on your credit cards you cannot pay off, struggle to make rent, you should not be smoking Padron 1926,Graycliffs, etc for the same reason I dont drive a Ferrari, yeah I could afford one by missing my morgage and getting action on the credit cards that would haunt me for a lifetime. The best cigars in my humidors come from folks selling them to make casht to pay the bills. Different strokes for different folks, and you do what you want with your money, but Mark is spot on and I am glad someone said it.

One final rant, I agree this should be a sticky. I have seen a lot of .edu email addresses lately. There are college kids in here with enough financial problems they dont realize they have yet without having to deal with a $300/month cigar habit!

pnoon
11-26-2008, 08:32 AM
I have seen a lot of .edu email addresses lately.
I'm curious. Where have you "seen" email addresses here at The Asylum? Are you talking about those that were provided to you by individuals? If so, that's o.k. But if you can "see" everyone's email address, that is a problem for the Team of 11 to address.

Redbaron
11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm curious. Where have you "seen" email addresses here at The Asylum? Are you talking about those that were provided to you by individuals? If so, that's o.k. But if you can "see" everyone's email address, that is a problem for the Team of 11 to address.

Pretty sure its from when he is buying sticks from people. :confused:

(least thats what I got from the post)

landhoney
11-26-2008, 08:41 AM
I agree with the OP, keep within your budget.

My only general disagreement is with people's idea that credit cards are bad, or that you shouldn't charge things. If you have the money, what's wrong with that? I pay my balances off each month and an amazing thing happens....I get money back from the CC companies for every dollar I spend, to the tune of several hunded dollars a year. I'm in the camp that guns don't kill people, people kill people. It's the same with credit cards, they're not bad, but irresponsible spending with them is of course.
They also are a great way to keep track of spending (debit cards will do the same though). We upload all transactions into a financial program to track spending and keep up with how and where we are spending money. Harder to do with cash transactions.

bigloo
11-26-2008, 08:48 AM
With regards to posters asking were the .edu emails come from, it is from ****** accts, no security flaws for the mods to be concerned with.

Also, landhoney, I agree with you. I get all I can from my credit cards in cash back, consumer protection and even double warranties, but I pay them off like you which is why I said carrying debt. I treat my credit cards like charge cards and mostly enjoy up to 2 months (month+grace period) where big purchases go interest free. I think the message is that this is a restraint issue and that credit cards are the vehicle.

pnoon
11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
With regards to posters asking were the .edu emails come from, it is from ****** accts, no security flaws for the mods to be concerned with.

I appreciate the prompt reply and am pleased that there is not a security flaw. :)

padronme
11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
One of the better posts I've read in a while.

Homebrewer
11-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I've often thought about this subject when I read about how some posters are waiting to get paid in order to buy cigars. If you're waiting to get paid to buy something, then that means you probably have zero savings.

I built up a lot of debt in my 20s, buying expensive meals, booze and cigars. When I was making $12/hr, I was smoking Ashtons and Hemmingways every day. Now that I'm going to be 40 I look back and can see the error in my ways. I'm fine financially now, but it took me YEARS to dig myself out.

That being said, now may be the time to extend yourself and buy some boxes. If these new taxes take effect, who knows how much they may cost in the future.

pnutbutrsangwich
11-26-2008, 09:22 AM
That being said, now may be the time to extend yourself and buy some boxes. If these new taxes take effect, who knows how much they may cost in the future.

And here, I'd say the nail has been hit on the head. This attitude (unfortunately, in my own personal experience) is what can, if left unchecked, lead to destruction.

"Oh they'll never be this cheap again"

"I'll never see these again"

"That's a great price on those"

These are all thoughts that have cost me a considerable amount of money.

zmancbr
11-26-2008, 09:31 AM
I agree with the OP, keep within your budget.

My only general disagreement is with people's idea that credit cards are bad, or that you shouldn't charge things. If you have the money, what's wrong with that? I pay my balances off each month and an amazing thing happens....I get money back from the CC companies for every dollar I spend, to the tune of several hunded dollars a year. I'm in the camp that guns don't kill people, people kill people. It's the same with credit cards, they're not bad, but irresponsible spending with them is of course.
They also are a great way to keep track of spending (debit cards will do the same though). We upload all transactions into a financial program to track spending and keep up with how and where we are spending money. Harder to do with cash transactions.

I have to agree... this is Great advice from Mark to stay within your budget, but it is also a good idea to use the perks given to you if you can.

I keep a credit card on hand for monthly usage and I charged lots of stuff on that card. I get cash rewards for using it, plus I keep my money in the bank to earn interest (which is a crazy 4.56% on my checking account). Then come the due date on my card I pay off the entire balance that month... It is my special way of sticking it to the man since he stuck it to me until I learned not to carry balances... :D

Ace$nyper
11-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Well said, there is a reason my humidor is pretty light, I want to buy a house soon, as much as I like burning money *yes enjoy the pun* I know there will be a time in life I have to enjoy more things, but right now school and work are #1.

They will put me in a better place, I can swing grabbing a few sticks here and there and I do and I enjoy it. I get to smoke almost as much as I'd like, and I feel really happy I get to smoke what I do as "often" as I do.

The more active I'm here the more I see what you mean about the cigars go with the people i've never seen a site with such a cool group of honestly caring people. If I never had another stick again I'd still be here often.

I work with a lot of people in my age group *early 20s* and you are right, they are swimming in debt, for foolish things at that not even investments like school. One of the most glaring cases that sticks out in my head was someone dropping a good degree one year away for a sports car.

It's a great hobby and great group, don't let impressions take you down, I feel if you conduct yourself here well you'll be liked and treated just as well if you smoked one stick a month then if you had a weekly flight to havana lined up to stock up.

MLC
11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks Mark, you just saved me and lost you money... no really thanks. Good advice. This forum is like poison to me - every thread I see - I end up asking myself have I tried that? Everyone else seems to have experienced this or that - why not me!? And I spend more than I should - That explains why I'm broke! :cb My budget is zero - starting.... now...... :confused:

Dgar
11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
One does not have to use credit cards in order to overspend...

This post was a great reminder to live within one's means (pot calling the kettle black here).. cigars are a luxury.

Something else one might consider when trying to enjoy the leaf while maintaing a budget is this..... if you didnt know the brand or cost of the cigar you were smoking you might be surprised.... You dont have to spen 5-10+ dollars to find a good smoke. Spend wisley... some great cigars out there that wont break the bank.

Snake Hips
11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I only spend what I don't need for anything else, and only spend what I've got. My responsibilities go first, and I only use debit.

But this is a good read, and should be stickied.

BengalMan
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Great post Mark! I for one have adopted a cigar budget for the New Year as well.

M1903A1
11-26-2008, 04:07 PM
This is one of the reasons I try to hold myself to only a couple of cigars a week (more or less).

I have on occasion built up a balance, but I intentionally chose a fairly low limit on my card when I got it, so that it couldn't get out of control. And I've never done it on cigars...though the one and only time my card got declined was at a B&M. (I still carry that rejection receipt in my wallet to this day.)

RGD.
11-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I've often thought about this subject when I read about how some posters are waiting to get paid in order to buy cigars. If you're waiting to get paid to buy something, then that means you probably have zero savings. . . .

I don't know that this could be true in all circumstances. I may wait until I get paid to buy certain cigars because cigar money does not come out of house money - it comes out of whats left over - play money if you will. Currently I spend $150 every two weeks, budgeted, on my staple cigars. So any cigar money outside of that is from what ever is leftover after bills, savings, etc are paid. That money though could be spent on books, tools, computer parts, truck parts, etc etc - just about anything that I don't really need - :ss

Ron

Dennis569
11-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Nice!
I especially like what DGAR had to say.
There are so many good cheap sticks out there.
I grew up dirt poor so pinching pennies comes naturally.

Da Klugs
11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Nice post by Mark the OP.

Hobbies are supposed to enhance our lives with fun and inveraction. Most aspects of ours does. The downside of the "slide" is that it can addict those so inclined to an ever increasing load of purchases. Good news is that you can always resell them without significant material loss if you buy right.

One contrarian point that has only to do with timing. If as part of "your plan" regarding prudent cigar purchasing you anticipate and budget a larger than normal portion of your budget in the "now to christmas" period, much $$ can be saved by significant sales.

Or you could be homeless my January. :D

hoyohio
11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
One contrarian point that has only to do with timing. If as part of "your plan" regarding prudent cigar purchasing you anticipate and budget a larger than normal portion of your budget in the "now to christmas" period, much $$ can be saved by significant sales.Very true...but only if you are managing your collection to a finite space. If you simply add storage as your collection increases, then "sales" purchases become incremental -- rather than opportunities for "savings."

I committed to a space (albeit a big one) and that is how I keep spending under control. It is impossible for me to store additional cigars beyond my agreed upon storage space without compromising their condition. I also only buy cigars with debit -- never on credit.

Da Klugs
11-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Very true...but only if you are managing your collection to a finite space. If you simply add storage as your collection increases, then "sales" purchases become incremental -- rather than opportunities for "savings."

I committed to a space (albeit a big one) and that is how I keep spending under control. It is impossible for me to store additional cigars beyond my agreed upon storage space without compromising their condition. I also only buy cigars with debit -- never on credit.

Your willpower is an example to all! :tu

Me? I'm gonna buy another cooler on Friday. :fl:D

hoyohio
11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Your willpower is an example to all! :tu

Me? I'm gonna buy another cooler on Friday. :fl:DI vowed never to go back to coolers. They drive me bonkers.

Willpower? Well, I don't think they make a bigger Aristocrat...lol.

awsmith4
11-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't know that this could be true in all circumstances. I may wait until I get paid to buy certain cigars because cigar money does not come out of house money - it comes out of whats left over - play money if you will. Currently I spend $150 every two weeks, budgeted, on my staple cigars. So any cigar money outside of that is from what ever is leftover after bills, savings, etc are paid. That money though could be spent on books, tools, computer parts, truck parts, etc etc - just about anything that I don't really need - :ss

Ron

I agree, I don't ever dip into my savings for my hobbies, I just use whats left over from payday. That is unless I set up an additional savings pot with the extra money specifically for that hobby.

Da Klugs
11-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I vowed never to go back to coolers. They drive me bonkers.

Willpower? Well, I don't think they make a bigger Aristocrat...lol.

Maybe coolers like short trips? :)

I did the same vow when I bought the cigar Club Wall thing. Vows work only until you are confronted with "that last thing" that wont cram into available space. For me it was Monte A's for sub $6 a stick. Vows be darned and coolers be bought.

M1903A1
11-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Maybe coolers like short trips? :)
For me it was Monte A's for sub $6 a stick. Vows be darned and coolers be bought.

Yes...at a moment like that, everything goes out the window!!! :tu

hoyohio
11-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I did the same vow when I bought the cigar Club Wall thing. Vows work only until you are confronted with "that last thing" that wont cram into available space.Crap...I'm about ten boxes away from being tested by the Universe...lol

Da Klugs
11-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Crap...I'm about ten boxes away from being tested by the Universe...lol

Not as infinite as the universe, but I'm pretty sure the cooler manufacturers have us covered in our times of need. :D

neoflex
11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Great post and oh so true. This philosophy should be used on all aspects of life and if everyone used this mentality the country and economy would be in a lot better shape right now. I have put myself in the credit card hole many times in the past and now we try to use cash for most things to avoid that mistake again. I have been working my ass off to get rid of a lot of dumb bills with side work and it has worked and I feel so much better knowing I can pay cash for things now and can put money into savings again. As far as my Cigar budget, it is almost Nil these days just with the economy being the way it is and the fact that there have been major layoffs at work and you never know if your up next. Went a little crazy this month with a handful of purchases but I did it as sort of a reward for myself for working so hard the last year but overall I have cut my purchases down a lot but than again I could probably honestly go a year without making a single purchase and still have plenty to smoke. Yet another reason why I have slowed myself down.
Just don't do this with cigar purchases. Use it in every purchase of your life. Hell, I hate seeing the people in my neighborhood who over bought and than can't afford to do basic landscaping or improvements to their homes because they are house poor. Again, if everyone learns to budget a little better and not over extend themselves than the country as a whole will improve financially. Unfortunately, most of us learn this the hard way. I know I did.

Studebaker
11-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Just want to add my AMEN. And I was pleasantly surprised to see this thread take a brief detour to endorse Dave "Better Than I Deserve" Ramsey's teachings. I couldn't agree more with the OP and with Dave.

I could buy more cigars and more expensive cigars than I do, but I try to stick to a budget! What a concept! I've got some nice cigars in my modest humi, and I'm content with them ( well, most of the time). I'm proud to day I'm debt-free except for my mortgage, pay my credit card off every month, and do it all on a modest salary. If you want to have a sense of freedom, try living on less than you earn! As Dave says, part of being an adult is having the ability to delay pleasure in order to achieve a greater goal! It's absolutely worth it.

alley00p
11-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd like to agree with everyone that this was a great post that should cause everyone to stop and think about their spending habits.

I realized that I was becoming a "slave" to the emails from various vendors, showing the 'unbelievable price" on this box or assortment of sticks. I fell prey to these for a short time, especially on sticks that I favored.

In my case, I have a 0% card that returns cash when used for purchases. I only use it for cigars and accessories and pay it off each month. But, after a spending spree this summer, I realized that I had dropped almost $800 on cigars in a 30 day period - almost all "sales" or or "once in a lifetime" deals! Fortunately, my card didn't hit me for finance charges because I couldn't afford to pay the card off that month.

Since that time, I've been much more careful in buying cigars. I realized that I could probably go without buying for months and never run out of sticks! Now, I pick up a stick or 2 at my local B&M, but I have been ignoring the sales pitches that arrive in my email box daily.

I hope that all my BOTLs and SOTLs will have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday!

:dance::dance::dance:

Snake Hips
11-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Very true...but only if you are managing your collection to a finite space. If you simply add storage as your collection increases, then "sales" purchases become incremental -- rather than opportunities for "savings."

That's my plan. The Vino and the desktop are as far as I go. Once the Vino is filled, my spending will go way down. A few singles at the B&M and replacing stock as I smoke it. No more $500 sprees for the sake of filling space...

Drazzil
08-31-2010, 12:54 PM
I have had to address this problem in my own life as of late. I wont mention on what but I most certainly overspent on cigars recently. I got suckered in by the "I wont see it again" mentality.

I have recently witnessed my financial aid (University grants) slashed by seventy percent, and I don't know how I am going to finish school (on last six months of business degree) and yet I spent two hundred and thirteen dollars on a bundle that I thought I really wanted. Granted they are good smokes, but they are NOT worth my financial peace of mind, which is why I am selling half of them.

I used to spend between one and two hundred dollars a month on going out to eat for lunch. Now I pack my lunch.

People are conditioned to be this way. And it's just a matter of conditioning ourselves to deny every little impulse that comes our way.

newlifetaxidermy
09-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Its good to see this post revisited. Its an easy trap to fall into. I would venture to say the large majority of us have "over-extended" ourselves on cigar purchases at some time or another. Personally, I cannot be trusted with credit cards, so I do not carry them. My wife does the same. We follow Dave Ramsey's philosophy and have a reserve for emergencies. If we "HAD" to take a credit card out, it would be only for the worst of the worst emergencies that our reserves could not cover. A major sale at your favorite B&M or online cigar shop is NOT, I repeat NOT, an emergency. Also, it feels good to be able to receive a purchase or even just smoke a cigar, knowing that there is no looming credit card bill coming behind it in the mail.

stitch
09-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Yep, verry good advise here ... Remember, in the long run it's just a cigar,
A rolled up tube of tobacco that you are at some point you are going to set on fire and smoke.
It isn't going to give you a life altering experience.
So don't go over board.

Every thing in Moderation ... Including Moderation :D

hotreds
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Sticky!

treatneggy
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I have to admit I'm guilty also. Stocked up on snus and snuff when PACT passed, thinking it would be my last chance to buy (FDA did stop importation of some flavors), then splurged on some HTF releases.

The wife decides since we are moving soon we need new furniture in the new house. Admittedly it is stuff we don't currently have - beds for both boys (we only have one twin), dining room table and bookcases (neither of which we currently have since we don't have room).

Then she gets slapped with an extra class at school that won't be covered by financial aid (plus $200+ extra in books)....

Now the cards are hurtin' and I'm trying to find time to sort out stuff we're not moving so I can try to sell it for some extra cash.

brigey57
09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Fiscal Responsibility

Excellent post and a point well taken. :tu

Mr B
09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Absolutely! Cash is king, debt is death...

Don't be Slave to the Lender........Cash is King....

Agree 100%. Ramsey's Total Money Makeover will change your life.

Awesome Post. I have thought it many times but never had the nerve to post it.
Thanks Mark.

Da Klugs
09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Hobbies are meant to enhace our lives in positive ways. When a hobby becomes our lives... that is an obsession and only "The Alba Obsession" is generally good for us. :)

General - Duh - Mr. Obvious comment -

Know what your disposable income is based upon being a responsible adult. No cheating and not putting money in the 401k to support a buying habit. Food is not optional. Housing is not optional. Utility payments are not optional. Buying cigars when you carry a credit card balance month to month (and you have cigars to smoke) is really the answer to the unspoken question we each should ask ourselves - " Do I have a Problem".

If you are married - assume your bride can spend the same amount on "her hobbie" as well. Tends to help put things in perspective.

It's all relative is a term that everyone needs to understand. Just because you see folks out of control and buying things left and right.. it does not justify your behavior nor does it necessarily represent to them what it might to you to spend so much on cigars.

Klugs general rule of thumb:

No Job No income - Dont buy cigars (at least not by the box)
Ongoing Credit card Debt - Buy only what you can smoke in a month
Feeling secure but college for kids is not funded - Less than 5%
Feeling secure but not loaded - Know your DI and spend <10%
Feeling secure, college fund looks good but still have Mortgage < 15%
Fully funded on all fronts, College, retirement, home, - :banger

Eleven
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Lots of Dave Ramsey Love in this thread but not a single one of us who HASN'T gotten debt free would be safe from the wrath of Dave himself if he found out we were buying Cigars!

Live like no one else so you can Live like no one else means NO extra spending. He wants you to eat TV dinners and sell cars and even move into smaller living spaces until you are debt free.

I may not be debt free yet, but we're working on it...and enjoying cigars...Sorry Dave :)

Smokin Gator
09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I am surprised I never saw this post before. It is some really good advice. I learned long ago in hobbies that I could go overboard. I have been fortunate in this hobby to not do that. I have one account that is only used for cigar purchases with a prepaid card. I only put my "play" money in that account. If there is none in there I don't buy. If there is a little I may pick up something I have been looking at. If there is a lot... Katie bar the door!!!

papajohn67
09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Guess I'm grumpy today :tg. Yep sage advise for some but deep down inside I feel whatever someone buys and how as well as how much they spend is nobody's damn business but their own.

jwfish81
09-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Guess I'm grumpy today :tg. Yep sage advise for some but deep down inside I feel whatever someone buys and how as well as how much they spend is nobody's damn business but their own.

I don't think anyone is trying to pry or be nosy about personal business or information. Just good advice for those, expecially the younger generations, who may have never thought about it before. I wish some had informed me about 10 years ago, and definitely some of my friends that had to resort to bankruptcy.

markem
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM

:tpd: but just like gambling, it is prudent to not get carried away.

CigarDisciple
09-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Truer words have never been spoken, I let credit cards control me for yrs and I got into serious trouble. I no longer have cards and deal cash only or debit card. If I can't afford to pay cash I won't get it besides I'm currently under a cigar embargo imposed by the better or other half (LOL) but trust me cards can detroy you if you aren't careful. :2

Col. Kurtz
12-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Friendly bump. Perhaps some sage advice. Glad I saw it the first time around.

Also; sub $6 monte a's? Dang it!

G G
12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
I looked back through the entire thread and agree with the advice because it's good. I was struck by the names of folks I used to interact with regularly and even though I have been less involved here for the last year or so, I miss some of those that posted in the thread way back when and they haven't been active for a long time.

bruceolee
12-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Couldn't agree more here. I have certain medical conditions that limit me from indulging in many things so most of my cigar budget is my entire indulgence budget so it allows me to spend more on smokes than most. I also have no children and am not married. If i were, it would be criminal for me to continue in this fun hobby at the pace i'm enjoying it now. I love smoking great cigars but i won't use credit as a means to buy. I save my money and only then buy cigars once i can afford to. I hope no one here is extended beyond their means just for a hobby. Hobbies should be fun and never stressful. :)

ChicagoWhiteSox
12-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Spend it before it's spent for you, for the 8th time!:po

No seriously, spend, spend, spend and then spend some more. It's good for us all.

CigarSquid
12-16-2013, 09:26 PM
I agree. This slope is crazy, but we all have the controls to slow it down a bit.

I went off the deep end and realized I have plenty of smokes to last me a while.

Now I blow the budget on chasing 'seasonal' cigars. More money but to me, they are pretty cool.