PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - want a pistol

jjirons69
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Never have been much of a gun person. I've had a Remington 870 12-gauge since I was a teen and I also have a Remington 22 auto rifle. That's it. I've been seriously thinking about getting a pistol within the next several months. For size and use, I'd probably be getting something in the 9 mm range. Don't think I need the power of a .38 or larger and I'd like something bigger than a .22 pistol. I'm going to use it mainly for target practicing and I'd like to have something to take camping, as well as for personal protection if that event ever happens. Nothing fancy or too high-priced, but quality and longevity. I'd like a step or so above an entry level. I am going to research but I thought you folks could start me in the right direction.

replicant_argent
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Wheel gun or Auto? For you alone or the family? Car camping or hiking?

J0eybb
09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Glock 19. Don't listen to Pete.

J0eybb
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
No, but seriously. Get to a range and shoot. Some people love Glocks/XD/Polymer, while some love their 1911's.

I personally love my glock 26, I shoot a glock 17 in competition. One day I'l own a 1911 style pistol.

There is also the beretta 92fs, proven fighting pistol.

I personally like semi-autos over a revolver. Revolvers are simple, but reloading is a pita.

MurphysLaw
09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
If you have a local range where you can rent a few different guns, go do it. Holding a gun and shooting it is going to tell you a lot more about what is right for you than the opinion of someone else and what works for them. Once you can narrow yourself down to a few options, then do your homework and find the best prices you can. Just my :2

09-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Best advice is shoot whatever you can get your hands on before you buy something. Many gun ranges offer rentals. You can rent a pistol and a lane and try a few out. Might cost you $40, but it'll be better than buying that same pistol for $500-1000 and finding out you don't like it.

If you have friends with pistols get a few of them to bring them to the range at the same time. You can learn a lot about your preferences in just one or two sessions this way.

Revolvers are great, reliable, simple, and can be easy to carry if you pick the right one. Semi-Autos have higher capacity, different caliber options, and offer more manufacturers for different options. I'm a 1911 guy myself, as my Kimber is my only handgun. That said, I'm probably going to buy a .357 revolver next. I'm not a big fan of Glock, but I would never put them down. They are well made and reliable, they just don't feel as good in my hand. Nor do I shoot them as well as I do my Kimber.

Like cigars, there are endless options and opinions on each. In the long run only your opinon counts.

replicant_argent
09-21-2011, 12:01 PM
No, but seriously. Get to a range and shoot. Some people love Glocks/XD/Polymer, while some love their 1911's.

I personally love my glock 26, I shoot a glock 17 in competition. One day I'l own a 1911 style pistol.

There is also the beretta 92fs, proven fighting pistol.

I personally like semi-autos over a revolver. Revolvers are simple, but reloading is a pita.
I rike my Grock too.
Many thousands of rounds through my 17. Ugly and plastic, but they go bang every time. Not for a "trigger Connoisseur" or someone with taste. Same for the other plastic wondernines.
That being said, a Ruger SR1911 is probably going to end up in my hands soon.
9mm is the most affordable centerfire to shoot, and will do all of the things you said above. Without concealment criteria, remember that the longer the sight radius, the more accurate you will most likely be.
Grip angle, length of pull to the trigger from the back of your hand, the size of your mitt, all will guide you a bit as far as what fits you and what feels right. Try to learn a correct firing stance from someone you trust knows their stuff and bring each candidate up to firing position. Some will more naturally point for you than others. Geometry of the pistols will tell you what might point better/worse for you.
Joe shoots a lot.

icehog3
09-21-2011, 12:30 PM
If you have a local range where you can rent a few different guns, go do it. Holding a gun and shooting it is going to tell you a lot more about what is right for you than the opinion of someone else and what works for them. Once you can narrow yourself down to a few options, then do your homework and find the best prices you can. Just my :2

Best advice is shoot whatever you can get your hands on before you buy something. Many gun ranges offer rentals. You can rent a pistol and a lane and try a few out. Might cost you $40, but it'll be better than buying that same pistol for $500-1000 and finding out you don't like it.

If you have friends with pistols get a few of them to bring them to the range at the same time. You can learn a lot about your preferences in just one or two sessions this way.

Revolvers are great, reliable, simple, and can be easy to carry if you pick the right one. Semi-Autos have higher capacity, different caliber options, and offer more manufacturers for different options. I'm a 1911 guy myself, as my Kimber is my only handgun. That said, I'm probably going to buy a .357 revolver next. I'm not a big fan of Glock, but I would never put them down. They are well made and reliable, they just don't feel as good in my hand. Nor do I shoot them as well as I do my Kimber.

Like cigars, there are endless options and opinions on each. In the long run only your opinon counts.

Good advice from these gents.....Try some out, that's how I pick handguns as well. :tu

elderboy02
09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Glock, Glock, Glock, and then a Glock :gn :tu

icehog3
09-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Try, try, try and then try a bunch. ;)

elderboy02
09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Also, the Smith & Wesson M&P models are great. I know you said you were looking at 9mm. I have the fullsize M&P 9mm and it is one of the most accurate guns I know. They make smaller sizes too for concealed carry.

safariguy
09-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I can't believe I am going to say this, but Joey is right. And so are all the other guys that say try out lots of different kinds.

shilala
09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a Smith & Wesson SW9VE (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764980_-1_757929_757928_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y), Jamie. I even got you a linky for it.
It's got some weight to it, barks them off real sweet, and doesn't gob up even with cheapo rounds. They make nice little holsters for them that work great.
They're very economical and hold up very nice, and they're easy to shoot. Easy to shoot fast, too.
I'm not a "gun person" either, although I've been a hunter and shooter all my life. I went to Grice Gun shop near home, handled some guns, and this one suited me. It's worked out great and is super easy to shoot. I'd like something fancier and shinier later, but I know with this I can take care of any protection problems if need be. The safety is in the trigger, which is nice if you're nervous.
It's a good "dispatch" weapon for hunting and trapping, as well.
If you try it and don't like it for some odd reason, you can always trade up. You'd lose less than you would going to a range and renting a gun.
It's not a great option if you're gonna go all covert ops and sh1t, and be carrying your gun to the grocery store. I'm not about that. It's crossed my mind that I might like a conceal and carry, but I'd have another gun for that completely. A small gun like that isn't for targets and hunting, so it'd be pretty much useless to me except for getting me in trouble.
For a CCW, I'd probably have a little Ruger LCP .380 or S&W Bodyguard 38. More likely the former, it's way lighter. :tu
Take a look at budsgunshop.com, it'll give you some good, inexpensive ideas.

kickerb
09-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Glock, Glock, Glock, and then a Glock :gn :tu:tpd:

neoflex
09-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Also, the Smith & Wesson M&P models are great. I know you said you were looking at 9mm. I have the fullsize M&P 9mm and it is one of the most accurate guns I know. They make smaller sizes too for concealed carry.

Glad to see someone else recommended this line of firearms. I have the M&P 40 and have never had an issue with the gun with close to 1,000 rounds through it. Super reliable and very reasonably priced. At the time when I bought mine S&W was running a crazy deal on them where you got a $50 Rebate and two Free Mags with it. I bought it from Buds Gun Shop (online retailer) and after was all said and done was into it for around $400. My wife is even dead accurate with this thing so much so that I now leave that gun at home at all times for her and picked up a 1911 for carry. Like Elderboy mentioned they do offer it in a 9mm and it comes with three different sized back straps to try and help tailor it to different sized hands.
Also like others have mentioned get to the range and rent a couple different pistols or go to the range with friends who may have a wide array of guns. Best way to find out what you like is to actually shoot it. I was never a big 1911 guy until I went to the range with a friend who is a 1911 nut, I put a few rounds down range with a couple of his and knew right than and there I needed to add a 1911 to the family.

J0eybb
09-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I always so quick to say go to the range and rent.... Even better go find some friends and shoot their guns, but remember to bring ammo, or money for ammo. Most will decline, but its not as cheap to shoot as it once was.

jjirons69
09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Many thanks, guys! It happens there's an older gentleman that works in our company that shoots quite a bit at the range. I've heard him talking about it in passing, but have never thought about asking him anything about it. I will now. I'll also invite myself over and shoot with him to see what feels good. That's an excellent suggestion. Always nice to try something out before a commitment. Anyway, it's the story I used on my wife. ;)

Stevez
09-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Double ditto on the S&W M&P. I have the 9mm and I love it. I also have a full size 1911 Colt and love that, but totally, totally different. Like others have said, rent if you can first to try. The S&W is very, very smooth, accurate and reliable. I also carry this occassionally and it's pretty concealable. Steve

Ogre
09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Go to a range and test fire as many pistols as you can. You will get as many opinions here as there are members. Some of the pistols listed above I think are junk, and some are great.. Its like cigars, shot what you like.

lawrand
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm a firearms instructor and I also teach concealed carry. I've instructed lots of people who have never fired a handgun before. We provide Glock 19's in our classes. I've had lots of people try to buy their Glock after the class. I usually carry the Glock or a S&W M&P. I really like both platforms. Best advice has been to shoot as many as you can and decide for yourself. Just make sure it is reliable. I wish you were near Missouri, I have about 12 different 9mm you could try out. Good luck in your search.

replicant_argent
09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Many thanks, guys! It happens there's an older gentleman that works in our company that shoots quite a bit at the range. I've heard him talking about it in passing, but have never thought about asking him anything about it. I will now. I'll also invite myself over and shoot with him to see what feels good. That's an excellent suggestion. Always nice to try something out before a commitment. Anyway, it's the story I used on my wife. ;)

You are on a good track here. Tell him you would like to shoot as wide a variety as he thinks is appropriate, and let you know what ammo would run for a good trial of what he would like to let you experiment with. I would also suggest a nice bottle of scotch or rum when you are done, along with a cigar. But that's just me. ;)

Barcode
09-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Go to a range and test fire as many pistols as you can. You will get as many opinions here as there are members. Some of the pistols listed above I think are junk, and some are great.. Its like cigars, shot what you like.

^^^Very good advice^^^

On a side note I carry and shoot the Springfield XD line and love it but that's just me, find what's the most comfortable in your hand

WyGuy
09-21-2011, 04:28 PM
There's a lot of great pistols out there, I'm sure you'll find something you like in whatever price range you're looking in. I personally have a Glock, Sig, and a 1911. Enjoy shooting them all equally. Be careful though...it's another expensive slope to fall down!

RGD.
09-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Sig, Sig, Sig, and then a Sig :gn :tu

Fixed it for you - you're welcome. :D

Ron

Drez
09-21-2011, 04:33 PM

+1

also look around for gun shows and shop around to try and get the best deal when you do find something you like :tu

Smokin Gator
09-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Dang hard question for me to answer. You don't mention a carry pistol. If you did I would suggest a S&W Defender 38. I have had mine for several years and love it. Light and will get the job done. For an inside the vehicle piece I prefer the Ruger Security Six. Obviously, I am a revolver kind of guy.

Now... I know you said you wanted something larger than a 22, but for what you described I would suggest a Ruger Mark III. It is a great shooting piece and is a great piece to have fun plicking with.

taltos
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Agree on trying as many weapons as possible. I have several with my favorite being a Kimber Pro Carry in .45 but I also own a couple more semi's and revolvers in various calibers with my favorite being a Colt Python in .357. I would love to get a Sig in .357 Auto but would have to sell several other guns to buy it. The key thing is to buy what you like and can shoot accurately. Good luck.

J0eybb
09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Love the Mark III for plinking.

PindarsLight
09-21-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree with go to the range and rent many types and and models, I would like to add to be mindful of your objective, if you want to just plink I would recommended the smaller more economical calibers 22 LR, and 9mm maybe even a 380 or 38 super. Prices in my area vary. If you plan on carry their is a buffet of top notch carry pistols but be mindful again of your budget do research alot of research and like you already have it your head and most have mentioned ask around the best advice is usually word of mouth from an old timer.

What your looking for in a pistol also determines your selection, be sure that the grip and length and thickness of the grip/back strap fits your hand you want to be comfortable when you fire your weapon I suggest either going with somebody that knows how to shoot or take a basic shooting course like a NRA basic or something.

A trend now with some the poly framed weapons is inter changeable back straps so you can try different sizes and textures. I like the S&W MP and the FNH FNX series of pistols for this fact.

So in review:

1) Looking around and do research
2) Be mindful of use and budget
3) Ask a friend or ask a dealer for advice even holding the weapon could give you a good idea what your looking for
4) Shoot and enjoy, guns are a wonderful hobby and one you can enjoy for years

Resipsa
09-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Since you're asking for my opinions, mine is don't buy a weapon

elderboy02
09-21-2011, 06:15 PM

:r

J0eybb
09-21-2011, 06:16 PM
How did I not mention a sig? I will sit back in my corner.

PindarsLight
09-21-2011, 07:01 PM
How did I not mention a sig? I will sit back in my corner.

It's ok the Sig Gods forgive you.-(P Do you have a sig?

replicant_argent
09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
In honor of Joeys sacriledge, I will mention the Sig C3, of which I would like... One.. Maybe 2...
Ok, I am bad at shopping.
Look, Shiny!

Bill86
09-21-2011, 07:43 PM
I agree with all of the above shoot as many pistols/revolvers as you can. Truly everyone is different. If you go with a revolver the ones that have back and front sights :banger

You might consider multiple pistols. For target practicing I would get a 9mm, probably a Browning. 9mm ammo is cheap.

I have to agree with Brent though. Don't write off a .22 for target practice they are literally ALMOST free to shoot. I mean 500 rounds is like $20. That's a lot of shooting :D You won't feel bad practicing all day at those kinda prices.

As far as camping, well you never know what kinda animals you MIGHT run into. Probably a .357/.44 magnum or a .45.

Personal protection I think a .357/.44 or .45 would fit the bill as well. People carry smaller calibers and I personally don't get it at all. I would rather know my gun is good for one shot stoppage then having to empty a clip.

But the ammo for those calibers isn't cheap.

Before I had shot one I would NEVER recommend a revolver but after shooting them......hard to argue. People will debate the ammo capacity but you tell me how many shots it takes with a .44 magnum before "your target" stops doing what he/she/it is doing? Probably one, and it probably doesn't need to be placed in any particular area either. A .357 is right there as well with one, maybe two shots and that's all she wrote.

It's easy to get an airweight .357 that will fit inside your pocket in a holster won't break the bank either. Don't kid yourself either I was surprised how far a .357 2 inch barrel would shoot accurately.

You'll notice a huge different in shooting metal guns and polymer. Personally I don't shoot too well with polymer. They are usually big, boxy and bulky. You'll save a bit of weight but eh...

To date (5 years of shooting guns) my favorites were Browning 9mm, S&W .38/.357 airweight, and a Dan Wesson 1911. The ones I hated the most, Glock .45 full size, Sig polymer .40, and a kel tec polymer. Some guns that were OKAY Taurus 9mm, baby desert eagle, .38 taurus, and a .40 glock (smaller but still had those $hitty sites :td).

oh and DON'T buy Glock. They are made for full size gorillas to shoot and unless you have leather hands they aren't comfortable either. The only gun to ever give me blisters and wear down on your skin while shooting......a glock.

jjirons69
09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great suggestions. All I need - another slippery slope.

floydpink
09-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Based on your desire for quality and longevity, I'd give Smith and Wesson a serious look.

They've been around a while and, personally, I found the Airweight 38 and me to be a perfect fit.

Ratters
09-22-2011, 08:52 AM
CZ75 [/thread]

:D

M1903A1
09-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Exactly. Why stop at one? :D

Seriously, besides the M1911 design, consider also the Browning High-Power. It's served in many a country's army since 1935, for a reason!

PindarsLight
09-22-2011, 01:40 PM
CZ75 [/thread]

:D

Awsome, so awsome I love the cz75

neoflex
09-25-2011, 09:58 AM
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great suggestions. All I need - another slippery slope.

It can be a slippery slope if you let it.:sl

Ashcan Bill
09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Try, try, try and then try a bunch. ;)

Spot on advice.

Decide first if you're partial to a revolver or a semi-auto.

Then see which brands/models feel good in your hand and shoot well for you.

Then start researching reliability and durability.

Lastly, start listening to personal opinions. ;)

boom
09-25-2011, 12:23 PM
+1 for the M&P... Love my 40.... I have been eyeing the 9 as well to add to the family

jaxstraww
09-25-2011, 06:27 PM
S&W .38 Revolver

Hammer-less - No issue with it getting caught on your belt

Unless someone is holding the cylinder you never need to worry about a jam

6 shots - If you need more than that your in trouble

Revolver isn't as cool or tuckable as a semi but when its time to cause action it'll never fail.

DrDubzz
09-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I love my 1911, but if I had to pick one single pistol to do everything: carry, camping, target shooting, etc. I'd probably take a Sig Sauer P226,228, or 229 in 9mm or .40

They're not too heavy, very reliable, very accurate (easy to shoot), and very well made.

I have shot glocks and the like, and the new Gen4 models are great, but I just don't care for them as much. However, you can get a Glock 19 for about half the price of a Sig 226

jjirons69
09-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Looked around a lot on the net, plus watched many videos. No hands on yet, but I like the way the 642 S&W looks. Double action with a concealed hammer and it's small enough to conceal. Not looking at shooting "whatever" at 50 yds, so something like this looks like a good fit for short to medium distance. I like that it's sub-$400, uses a common .38 shell, and is not so powerful my wife wouldn't shoot it. I'm going to keep looking, but I've started a list now.

floydpink
09-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Looked around a lot on the net, plus watched many videos. No hands on yet, but I like the way the 642 S&W looks. Double action with a concealed hammer and it's small enough to conceal. Not looking at shooting "whatever" at 50 yds, so something like this looks like a good fit for short to medium distance. I like that it's sub-$400, uses a common .38 shell, and is not so powerful my wife wouldn't shoot it. I'm going to keep looking, but I've started a list now.

Exactly what I chose when I was looking.

The guy at my local range encouraged me to try it as did my brother who is a Sgt and carries it off duty.

With a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for summer and Uncle Mike's IWB in the winter, I barely notice it's in my front pocket.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/rastapete69/SW38sp.jpg

I have since added Crimson trace laser grips and don't even think about a different setup.

A lot of the semi-auto guys like 9 or more shots, but I figure if I need more than 5, I'm in a prolonged gunfight that i should have ran from a long time ago.

I'm a wheelgun guy for life.

elderboy02
09-26-2011, 06:59 AM

I carry a similar pistol every day. I carry the S&W Bodyguard 38. It is basically the same pistol as the 642, except it has a laser and the cylinder release is on the top instead of the side.

I highly recommend it! :tu