PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for those of you with Aristocrats

mithrilG60
09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
If you bought yours with the Set and Forget, what are the diameter of the fan used on the reservoir? The same question for the fan(s) used for independant recirculation? Do they indicate the RPM or CFM ratings for those fans? Thanks!

mosesbotbol
09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
There's just good old small pc fans, nothing fancy.

mithrilG60
09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
There's just good old small pc fans, nothing fancy.

I know, I'm just trying to find out the size so I can look for some ultra silent models to replace them with. My Aristocrat hasn't shipped yet and I'm sure Bob's taking a well deserved long weekend or I'd call the shop and ask him.

Ashcan Bill
09-04-2011, 11:45 PM
To be honest, I can barely hear when mine is running, and that's only if I'm standing right next to it and listening for it. Now the cooling fans make some noise if you get that option, but the humidifier is very quiet.

mosesbotbol
09-05-2011, 05:29 AM
No offense, but it would be wasted effort looking for quieter fans. They are not on all the time and when they are on, you won't hear them unless the door is open, but each to their own.

mithrilG60
09-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Fine, I'll give Bob a call tomorrow. Thanks anyways.

pnoon
09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Geoff - The fan in my set-and-forget is ~2.25" in diameter. The one circulating fan is tough to get to in back without removing the cigars and shelf but by best guesstimate is ~1.25".

Both are fairly quiet. And with their limited run time, I wouldn't think about changing them out. :2

Oh - I have an end table Aristocrat humidor.

jonumberone
09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Geoff, I never hear the recirculating fans.
I actually had to grab a flashlight and hunt for the bottom 2 to be sure they were there.
I do hear My set and forget when it comes on, but I do have 4 of the large humidifiers.
Now that RH is stable, they hardly ever come on.

pnoon
09-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Geoff, I never hear the recirculating fans.
I actually had to grab a flashlight and hunt for the bottom 2 to be sure they were there.
I do hear My set and forget when it comes on, but I do have 4 of the large humidifiers.
Now that RH is stable, they hardly ever come on.

:tpd:

My humidification fan comes on pretty much every time I open it up. But that is because I live in a very dry climate.

mithrilG60
09-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

mithrilG60
10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
So, having now received my Mini Tall and let it season and whatnot I can sort of see what you guys were talking about in terms of noise however I still think it's a bit loud. I don't mean there's anything wrong with the system or the physical fans, they're just louder than I really like.

I think part of that is that (I assume) all of you have much larger cabinets than I do and therefore you've got Bob's larger reserviours which means you've got 60mm fans attached to them instead of the 40mm in the Mini-sized version... and that 40mm fan in mine is rated at 25dBa which is quite loud as fan go. I'm also someone that replaces every fan in new desktop just to install aftermarket low RPM fans. If I can hear a fan it's too loud. Unfortunately the options for aftermarket low RPM fans in 40mm sizing that still move close to the small amount of air as the stock fan are few and far between.

So, here's my solution:

I've had Bob prepare a new reserviour top for me with the lid drilled for a 60mm fan instead of the normal 40mm. He's pre-installing a 60x10mm fan that has about 25% more airflow than the stock 40mm which should be a bit quieter (bigger fans usually equal less noise). The nice thing about having the bigger fan is there are LOTS of options for ultra-quiet fans in the 60mm size so swapping to aftermarket (if necessary) will be a lot easier. I may just swap anyways and install the 60mm coming with the new lid in place of the 40mm independent recirculation fan for more airflow. The recirc fan is very quiet though.