PDA

View Full Version : Best naturally "Sweet" cigar

DetroitMister
08-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi there,
I'm looking for recommendations on a naturally sweet cigar (not infused).
Something that has a natural sweetness to the tobacco.
Sometimes I think these cigars are described as "creamy" too.
I'm looking for a premium cigar, but please try to keep it under $8.00.
Thanks -Aaron

CigarSquid
08-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm not a sweet fan so I can't help ya. Explore the site and have fun. Remember, search is a friend.

Blak Smyth
08-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Are you talking about a really sweet natural product or just a tobacco flavor with a hint of sweetness?
I have not had a non-infused cigar that was really sweet.
If sweet is your goal I would point you back toward infused, although you will despise that answer I am sure.

Doctorossi
08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm looking for a premium cigar, but please try to keep it under $8.00.

Half an Anejo? :r

;s

DetroitMister
08-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Are you talking about a really sweet natural product or just a tobacco flavor with a hint of sweetness?
I have not had a non-infused cigar that was really sweet.
If sweet is your goal I would point you back toward infused, although you will despise that answer I am sure.

I'm talking about a tobacco flavor with a hint of sweetness.
In the cigar magazines, you read reviews about cigars that have a sweet taste, or a hint of sweetness. Creamy, etc.
I would like to see what people on here are smoking, and if they taste this "sweetness".
I did search "sweet" and it gave way too many results.
Thanks -Aaron

pnoon
08-29-2011, 01:57 PM
It would help us help you if you gave us an example of what you consider sweet.
:2
Posted via Mobile Device

Blak Smyth
08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
I just looked through some of my notes (When I used to take notes), and I had found some sweetness in a Carlos Torano Signature.

My notes where:
"Sweet and mild. Good Burn, tight draw. Very impressed! Real nice flavors and aftertaste."

And here is a picture I found:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/5926164376_a78cf9d806.jpg

BC-Axeman
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
This is a good question and I am curios as to the answers. Especially non-cuban ones. Anything I came across was aged a lot.

DaBear
08-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Hemingway Maduros always taste like chocolate bars when I smoke em. :dr love those sticks. Kristoff Maduros always come across as pretty similar for more of a budget smoke

I don't find all "creamy" smokes sweet. I wouldn't consider and EPC Core Line sweet despite it being a cream bomb

icehog3
08-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Back in the day I found some of the milder AVOs to have a sweet quality.

The old blend of La Aroma de Cuba (only the vitola that came in a tubos) was creamy, but I haven't had one for years so I can't speak to that.

Some (I repeat, some) Opus X had a black cherry and anise tone that I found sweet, but they likely don't meet your rpice criteria anyway.

gorob23
08-29-2011, 02:38 PM
So the Grapes Swishers are out huh ?? :sh

Rob ;s

JJG
08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
The most noticeably sweet cigars in my opinion are the Artuo Fuente Don Carlos line (the red and black band). More so than any cigar, the sweetness of these really comes through.

They are also in your price range, available at just about every tobacco shop, and one of my favorite cigars!

:chr

Doctorossi
08-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't find all "creamy" smokes sweet. I wouldn't consider and EPC Core Line sweet despite it being a cream bomb

:tpd:

The Fuente Chateau series is another line I'd say are "creamy" as cigars get, but much more savory than sweet.

yourchoice
08-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I think the advanced search feature would really help you narrow down the threads. When you said sweet, I immediately thought of honey, which I sometimes find in cigars. I searched for honey in the reviews forum and found the following:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/search.php?searchid=4989402

Some may refer to the color as honey causing some extra reading, but most refer to the taste. One that popped out that I agreed with was Arturo Fuente Hemingway series. For that matter, I find most cigars with a Cameroon wrapper somewhat on the sweet side.

Try the advanced search with sweet, sweetness or other similar words. Good luck.

krb
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
The only cigar I've tried that I could consider sweet is the Brickhouse Toro.

I later tried a robusto and it didn't have the same flavor.

NCRadioMan
08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Casa Torano and Chateau Real

JohnnyFlake
08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Baccarat cigars have a nice light natural sweetness to them, especially in the larger ring gauges.

Gispert cigars also have a nice delicate sweetness to them, especially the larger ring gauges and when young, so buy then fresh in small batches. Once they get some age on them, 9 months, a years they start to get spicy.

Most Maduro Cigars tend to have a nice sweetness to them. Fuente 898s are very nice. Also another Fuente product, the Montesino brand in Maduro have a nice natural sweetness.

I know they are flavored or infused but Drew Estate has some very nice, high quality cigars that have wonderful sweet flavor profiles. Do not hesitate to try them, they are truly good cigars.

J0eybb
08-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you're sweet. :D

DetroitMister
08-29-2011, 03:30 PM
I just looked through some of my notes (When I used to take notes), and I had found some sweetness in a Carlos Torano Signature.

My notes where:
"Sweet and mild. Good Burn, tight draw. Very impressed! Real nice flavors and aftertaste."

YES! Thanks! This is the kind of "sweetness" I am talking about. I have had the Torano Signature and I agree.
So we have:
Torano Signature
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos (red&black lablel)
Casa Torano
Chateau Real
Hemmingway Maduro

Any more? Thanks for the suggestions so far! Please keep them coming!:chr

El Threesom
08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Did you try the Rum dip from Blue mountain Cigars.
It has a cigar taste with a rum after taste not sugar tipped

The Poet
08-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I've found that a number of the ERdM maduros have a natural sweetness, especially in the larger lengths and ringsize. Try the Robusto Larga and the Reserva Salado, for instance, which fall well within your price point.

Bill86
08-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Sounds infused. Is it?

icehog3
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM

I've never even heard of Blue mountain Cigars.

quantim0
08-29-2011, 05:49 PM
I get a sweetness from sun grown wrappers, especially the Diamond Crown Maximus and a little from the VSG. But those are over $8. So I'm useless.

kelmac07
08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
I get a sweetness from sun grown wrappers, especially the Diamond Crown Maximus and a little from the VSG. But those are over $8. So I'm useless.

Just goes to show everyones taste are different Andrew. While I'm a HUGE maduro fan...I cannot get into the Sun Grown wrappers at all. I know some rave about them, but they taste rancid to me. :2

Crownedone
08-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I find sweetness in the robusto size of the saint Luis rey g maduro.

chippewastud79
08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Graycliff Crystal
AVO Signature

:hm

Blak Smyth
08-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I think the advanced search feature would really help you narrow down the threads. When you said sweet, I immediately thought of honey, which I sometimes find in cigars. I searched for honey in the reviews forum and found the following:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/search.php?searchid=4989402

Haha link FAIL!;s

Cyrann
08-30-2011, 12:53 PM
My two favorites with a subtle sweetness and some nice spice...

LFD Air Bender
Room 101 Namakubi

Apoco
08-30-2011, 12:55 PM
E.P. Carrillo Maduros have the classic maduro sweetness. Very good stick - and my local B&M (Burn's Tobacconist) carries them at $6.00 a pop for something like a 5.5x42.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
There are gobs of maduros that impart big sweetness. Someone mentioned Hemingway maduros. Oliva Special G Maduros are another.
For a real clean sweetness like honey, lots of cc's deliver.
I'm trying to think of something that is singularly sweet, where that's all you'd say about the cigar, but I have nothing. Any good maduro will show you a lot of sweet. DPG JJ Maduro is probably way up there.

RevSmoke
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Sugar, honey, chocolate bars, marshmallows, syrup, :noon

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Skywalker
08-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Nat Shermans have a sweet creaminess to them!

RevSmoke
08-30-2011, 02:09 PM
On a more serious note.

El Rey del Mundo Robusto/Robusto Larga/Robusto Suprema all have a very distinctive sweetness.

I have also found some sweetness in the Taboo HSG line.

Don Fernando
08-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Flor de Oliva

Skywalker
08-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Flor de Oliva

:tu Good one!

cmitch
08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Baccarat cigars have a nice light natural sweetness to them, especially in the larger ring gauges.

Ditto. :tpd:

jaxstraww
08-30-2011, 06:17 PM

I know they are flavored or infused but Drew Estate has some very nice, high quality cigars that have wonderful sweet flavor profiles. Do not hesitate to try them, they are truly good cigars.

Ding ding ding.......I think this is what he is looking for with Baccarat. You need to check the bands because there is the sugary one and a more tobacco only version.

Agreed that the DE stuff is definitely infused. I use to hide the fact that I think the Atom Maduro is a great smoke for me. But as I got older I said I could give a **** what anyone thought. Its a great change of pace cigar.

muhren
08-30-2011, 06:20 PM
"Sweetest" & "Creamiest" (both in the same cigar) that I've had was a Montecristo Seven. I thought it had to be infused or something! Research said not infused.

I enjoyed it immensely for that sweet factor. It was almost TO sweet.

Give that a try.

M

taltos
08-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Try Indian Tabac Extra Fuerte Maduro. Sweetness in every puff.

gbum
08-31-2011, 05:16 AM
try nub cameroon...
this is my review
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=626344&postcount=2

Jasonw560
08-31-2011, 07:14 AM
There's always these (http://www.oldtimecandy.com/bubble-gum-cigars.htm)

quantim0
08-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Just goes to show everyones taste are different Andrew. While I'm a HUGE maduro fan...I cannot get into the Sun Grown wrappers at all. I know some rave about them, but they taste rancid to me. :2

Lol. That's funny because I can't smoke maduros. They taste like bitter rotting dirt to me. There are a few I can handle, but I have not enjoyed about 95% of the ones I have had.

But I will smoke oscuros from LFD and Liga Privada.

kelmac07
08-31-2011, 08:35 AM
But I will smoke oscuros from LFD and Liga Privada.

:dr :dr :dr

wayner123
08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
I have found that more often than not, I get a sweetness from Nicaraguan leaf. That's not to say a Dominican can't be sweet, but it usually takes a premium Dominican cigar to provide that level of sweetness that a $3 Famous Nicaraguan can.

Here is a short list:

La Esencia - while it can be a bit spicy, the sweetness can really shine through
Anejo - Most maduro's are sweeter and the Anjeo is a great example of that
Hirsh y Garcia - IMO the perfect cigar

yourchoice
08-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Haha link FAIL!;s

Well that's weird! Try THIS (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/search.php?searchid=4995865).

sikk50
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Creamy sweet, first thought is Taboo Twist

SvilleKid
08-31-2011, 09:10 PM
It's amazing what people pick up different in the same sticks! For example, Torano's Sigs and AF's Don Carlos are both two of my long-term favorites! I have at least two boxes of each of these in my coolers. But, I don't think I'd describe either as "Sweet". However, I WOULD describe them both as smooth! I seem to get more in the nature of leather, and nuts (Like pecan) from these sticks! Just goes to show that what someone else tastes may not be the same taste you get out of a cigar!

While I don't get "sweet" out of these two, I definitely recommend them!!! Probably the best "sweet" I remember came from the original Famous Nic 3000 sticks, and also from many of the AF Anejo's I've had. But, the Anejo does not fit your price break! The Famous Nic 3000's definitely do, but I haven't had any of these newer than the third production run (several years ago!), so I have NO idea if the current production is anything like the 3000's from the past.

Good luck on the search!

Col. Kurtz
08-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Short stories always give me a sweet, gingerbread-y flavor.

BC-Axeman
09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Flor de Oliva
Reading this made me dig out a FdO from my cheap stash and I would agree it seemed sweet.

vinnydisilvio
09-04-2011, 06:27 PM
in all honesty i find a natural sweetness from Perdomo Grand Cru (natural) and Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary (i've only had it in Torpedo).

688sonarmen
09-04-2011, 06:43 PM
E.P. Carrillo Maduros have the classic maduro sweetness. Very good stick - and my local B&M (Burn's Tobacconist) carries them at $6.00 a pop for something like a 5.5x42.
Posted via Mobile Device

X2

gator_79
09-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I find that a lot of Maduro's have that "maduro" sweetness to them. AF 8-5-8 Maduro, Padron 2000/3000, AF Hemingway Maduro and Kristoff Maduro. Some Cameroon wrappers also have a gentle sweetness to them, AF Hemingway Signature is my favorite Cameroon. Also The AF Queen B, Sungrown imparts a slight sweetness. All smokes listed would fall with in your price range. Hope this helps.

scottdurand
09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
There are a number I could think of, the Af Rosada belicoso has some natural sweetness to it.

Jon11
09-07-2011, 03:46 PM
If your looking for sweet tobacco taste without infusion, just the natural sweetness of tobacco, you need to get a pipe and try different straight virginia tobacco's. I personally have never had natural tobacco sweetness like this with a cigar, just a pipe. Sorry if this isnt an option, but I smoke both and never grab for a cigar when I'm looking for that sweet tobacco taste.

54 Conqueror
09-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Carbonell. From the description

If you enjoy mild cigars with some sweetness, I promise youll fall in love with Carbonell cigars.

Carbonell is a great-tasting, mild and pleasant smoke. Rolled in the Dominican Republic since 1907, this cigar consists of long-filler Dominican leaves and an Indonesian wrapper. They´re unique because of their naturally sweet taste. The sweetness comes from the Carbonell "sweet leaf," which gives it an incredibly smooth, mild taste and rich aroma. Carbonell is not widely available, but those who try them always stay with the brand. If you like pleasant, mild cigars with a sweet touch, then Carbonell is a must to sample.

kjd2121
09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I find the Pepin Miami 8/11 Churchills to be sweet and very creamy. Especially after the first third.

rrjj1171
04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Bro I have the cigar you need. Made by my fathers cigars- door de las antillas-toro

This was rated number one by cigar afficionado at 98 points I believe.

This cigar is about $7 Its creamy, sweet just enough naturally to the pallate and smokes even and has a great draw. ENJOY--let me know what you think

688sonarmen
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
El Primer Mundo "Black"

shilala
04-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Even though this thread is from the dead...
Lots of very cheap Rocky Patel maduros are molasses sloppy sweet. The dipped wrappers make a mess, but they're still a good fit for what the OP is looking for.

Lockspur
04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Doesn't look like the OP ever came back. :sh

Porch Dweller
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Bro I have the cigar you need. Made by my fathers cigars- door de las antillas-toro

This was rated number one by cigar afficionado at 98 points I believe.

This cigar is about $7 Its creamy, sweet just enough naturally to the pallate and smokes even and has a great draw. ENJOY--let me know what you think

Welcome to the forum! Why don't you stop by the new inmate processing area and introduce yourself.

BTW, this thread was a year and a half old; if the OP's still looking then he's not looking hard enough. :)

RobR1205
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
If you can your hands on them, I can pick up quite sweet notes from CC Fonsecas. They become especially present after smoking smoking stronger like a Monte. Grassy, somewhat creamy, and quite cheap. But don't let the price fool you, they are outstanding cigars in my opinion.