PDA

View Full Version : Cigars for tailgating

iamsolitary
08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
With the approach of football season I am curious what cigars people smoke for tailgating.

Personally I'm a college football fan and my team (Iowa Hawkeyes) tends to play at 11am (local time). This is my first season as a cigar smoker and I hope to have a few good morning cigars for tailgating. I had a Maroma Dulce Robusto Natural this morning and it was an enjoyable mild cigar. My main issue with it was it seemed to shed tobacco in my mouth quite a bit.

So.... basically I'm looking for some good cigars for smoking in the morning, alongside some (probably pretty lousy) beer, that are not too expensive because I'll probably be handing a bunch out.

Any thoughts?

DaBear
08-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Taboo Twists, Baccarats, Onyxs, and any tins of small smokes(ie. padron corticos). Tins are the best choice IMO since you can just pre cut all the cigars before you leave and stick them all back in the tin, where they'll at least be somewhat protected from any drunken shenanigans occuring. I only smoked at one morning tailgate last season, but I had a Taboo Twist on an empty stomach while helping set up, good smoke and won't hit you at all. I then proceeded to have two Punches right after we got some eggs and ham cookin.

Coach Deg
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I usually smoke what what I like. AF 858, VSG, or whatever is in the travel Humi that I'm in the mood for. I also keep some inexpensive sticks in the travel for when the non-smokers want one.

About the tobbacco in mouth try a punch instead of a cutter.

bobarian
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
The Maroma's are a mixed filler cigar, quite often you will get bits of tobacco with both short or mixed filler(the tobacco is smaller pieces rather than full leaves) Smoke whatever you like, there are ton's of affordable bundle smokes which are good for tailgating. You wont feel bad if you hand one to a novice smoker and they "forget" it on the table after one or two puffs. :2

neoflex
08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
The Maroma's are a mixed filler cigar, quite often you will get bits of tobacco with both short or mixed filler(the tobacco is smaller pieces rather than full leaves) Smoke whatever you like, there are ton's of affordable bundle smokes which are good for tailgating. You wont feel bad if you hand one to a novice smoker and they "forget" it on the table after one or two puffs. :2

:tpd: That and a good bundle smoke is good simply because tailgating usually involves drinking so you don't want to smoke your A product when you half in the bag. The Flor De Oliva Maduros usually make a good tailgating or fishing smoke.

thechrisdotcom
08-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't take any cigars with me for tailgating. Too busy drinking and eating food.

GTsetGO
08-21-2011, 06:51 PM
i don't buy anything special for my tailgating. i just go with what i would smoke on a regular day.

maninblack
08-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Iowa fan, eh? Ready for my Huskers to whoop your hawkeye asses? I smoke all my faves.

iamsolitary
08-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm ready for a pretty lousy season. sigh

CueTheMusic
08-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Ahh, a topic close to my heart. Tailgating season is the best time of the year. I usually bring something really nice to the first tailgate, just to celebrate. But generally, I don't change what I bring just because it is early morning. I'm usually up and ready to go, so stronger cigars are ok. For regular games, I sometimes like something smaller to start out with, like a Fuente Short Story, or something like it. Then get some food eaten and move on to something larger. I usually bring some cheaper cigars for the other guys that ask me for one. I usually ask them what they want, and they are welcome to my more expensive stuff, but oddly they usually want something that didn't cost as much.

I usually consistently have padrons, tatuajes, padillas, etc. Then for the cheaper cigars I usually bring some little havana overruns, tatuaje white labels. Smoke what you like, you'll get more enjoyment that way. Just make sure to have some food and a pop or gatorade (in addition to the beer) so you are ready if the nicotine hits you.

Kneo
08-21-2011, 09:31 PM
With the approach of football season I am curious what cigars people smoke for tailgating.

Personally I'm a college football fan and my team (Iowa Hawkeyes) tends to play at 11am (local time). This is my first season as a cigar smoker and I hope to have a few good morning cigars for tailgating. I had a Maroma Dulce Robusto Natural this morning and it was an enjoyable mild cigar. My main issue with it was it seemed to shed tobacco in my mouth quite a bit.

So.... basically I'm looking for some good cigars for smoking in the morning, alongside some (probably pretty lousy) beer, that are not too expensive because I'll probably be handing a bunch out.

Any thoughts?

Go Hawks!

TBone
08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Smoke what you like, you'll get more enjoyment that way. Just make sure to have some food and a pop or gatorade (in addition to the beer) so you are ready if the nicotine hits you.[/QUOTE]

I love the RP Edge and I always have chocolate with me. If you should get a Nic headache suck on a piece of chocolate and it'll work on taking it away in about 10 mins. Otherwise like everyone else said smoke what you like.

E.J.
08-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I always take special sticks or something that is really calling at me. I only smoke one while tailgating and since you only get the opportunity 5-6 times a year(I may only do it 2-3 times), I try to make the most of it.

CigarSquid
08-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I pick something in the humi I've been wanting. Kinda a special occasion I think since it's not an everyday thing.

WittyUserName
08-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Being a recent college grad and spending many a weekend getting drunk off my a$$ at sporting event tailgates I would not recommend a "special" cigar. This is going to be almost a weekly event for you and if memory serves me people tend to drink a ton. The last thing I would want to do is bring that special cigar that has been aging for just the right amount of time only to not remember it the next day.

Just my :2

DaBear
08-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Being a recent college grad and spending many a weekend getting drunk off my a$$ at sporting event tailgates I would not recommend a "special" cigar. This is going to be almost a weekly event for you and if memory serves me people tend to drink a ton. The last thing I would want to do is bring that special cigar that has been aging for just the right amount of time only to not remember it the next day.

Just my :2

Yea, theres a difference in tailgates really depending on your age. For anyone still around college aged(including relatively recent grads), just smoking a cheapie is probably best as you're more likely to not remember it the next day, nor will you care as much, its more of a smoking just to smoke, not to enjoy thing. The "older" crowd tends to have much more tame tailgates where a nice cigar may be appropriate. It all really comes down to what you enjoy and what you're in the mood for. I personally stick to milder cheaper stuff for tailgates. I'll save the nice stuff for the post game victory smoke -(P

:2

danreeve
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
I have a pretty big tailgate every saturday so I tend to mix it up. If I had to pick one I go to a lot it would be the Tat havana VI Gordito. Good flavor, big size.