PDA

View Full Version : Scotch Q&A

kayaker
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Just thought I would start a thread where people can ask and answer questions and this great beverage, and share our knowledge.

I am by no means an expert, but I have learned a couple of things in the last couple of years and I like sharing my interest with others.

Please feel free to ask anything you want to know. Can't promise I will be able to answer, but hopefully someone else will chime in.

Please feel free to answer any questions, share you knowledge and experiences.

Let's have some fun (and a dram or two).:al:al:D

kayaker
11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Thought I would start by giving you my definition/explanation about SMSW. I do it backwards:

Whisky = fermented grain (corn, rye, barley…) which is then distilled, usually aged in oak barrels (eg. rye, malt, bourbon).

Scotch = Whisky from Scotland only, has to be aged 3 years min., and must be distilled, aged, bottled in Scotland.

Malt = barley that has been soaked and allowed to germinate to maximize sugars, then dried, crushed and made into beer, which is then distilled.

Single = whisky that comes from one distillery only.

So SMSW is a Scotch whisky made from malted barley and from a single distillery.

Is that as clear as mud?:D

mikeyj23
11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Is a dram a specified amount, just "a pour" or both? I know a "shot" can be 1.5oz, or just a term. What's a dram?
Posted via Mobile Device

kayaker
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Is a dram a specified amount, just "a pour" or both? I know a "shot" can be 1.5oz, or just a term. What's a dram?
Posted via Mobile Device

To my knowledge there is no specific amount. You can have a wee dram, or a big one. I guess it just refers to a serving of indeterminate volume.

mrreindeer
11-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I am by no means an expert....

You sure about that Ian? You, Scott & a handful of others have certainly been a great help for me as I head headfirst down the scotch slope.

This is a great idea! :tu

Cigary
11-24-2008, 10:03 PM
While I don't like scotch as a rule I can't drink enough Drambuie,,which is a scotch whiskey with honey and herbs. If anyone else has had this is there another type of scotch that compares taste wise?

kayaker
11-25-2008, 10:21 AM
While I don't like scotch as a rule I can't drink enough Drambuie,,which is a scotch whiskey with honey and herbs. If anyone else has had this is there another type of scotch that compares taste wise?

I haven't had Drambuie in a while and can't remember it. My guess is it would be sweeter than Scotch would normally be. You might want to try something like an Arran Island malt, which would be pretty light and a bit fruity in taste.

Anyone else have a recommendation?

Scottw
11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I haven't had Drambuie in a while and can't remember it. My guess is it would be sweeter than Scotch would normally be. You might want to try something like an Arran Island malt, which would be pretty light and a bit fruity in taste.

Anything from the Lowland regions would be lighter and fruitier with no peat or smoke. The Glenkinchie is a great one to start with at around $40 per bottle.

elderboy02
11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
I have never had Scotch before. What is a good beginner Scotch?

Scottw
11-25-2008, 11:00 AM

I would start with a Lowland if you are going the single malt rout. Cheaper Lowland is McClelland's which can be had for about $22 per bottle. The Glenkinchie which is a beautiful Lowland is about double that. Remember, the bottle does NOT go in the fridge or freezer for shots, it is to be nurtured, poured gently, sniffed, swirled and tasted. It really is an experience. Please try it and keep us posted!

elderboy02
11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I would start with a Lowland if you are going the single malt rout. Cheaper Lowland is McClelland's which can be had for about $22 per bottle. The Glenkinchie which is a beautiful Lowland is about double that. Remember, the bottle does NOT go in the fridge or freezer for shots, it is to be nurtured, poured gently, sniffed, swirled and tasted. It really is an experience. Please try it and keep us posted!

So I drink it straight and warm? I can't mix it with Coke?

JohnnyFlake
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually there is a specific measurement for a Dram, with reference to liquid. A Dram is 1/8th of an ounce!

However, when the word Dram is used with respect to liquor, I doubt that the actual definition is intended. Many say that they will be having "A Wee Dram of Scotch" the intended meaning, is obviously a small amount of scotch, maybe a half shot, of something like that, and not just 1/8th of an ounce!

Scottw
11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
So I drink it straight and warm? I can't mix it with Coke?

Straight and Warm = neat, maybe a few drops of water to open it up a bit. You can mix it or do with it whatever you'd like. My wife wanted a scotch and soda one day and put Diet Coke in the Balvenie 21 year old (Over $120 per bottle). If she wasn't my wife I would have judo chopped her in the throat.
What I'm suggesting to you is trying the whole scotch experience. Try it for what it is, if you want to mix something with Coke, grab a cheap bottle of Jim Beam and have at it. Scotch Whisky is a horse of a different color.

elderboy02
11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Straight and Warm = neat, maybe a few drops of water to open it up a bit. You can mix it or do with it whatever you'd like. My wife wanted a scotch and soda one day and put Diet Coke in the Balvenie 21 year old (Over $120 per bottle). If she wasn't my wife I would have judo chopped her in the throat.
What I'm suggesting to you is trying the whole scotch experience. Try it for what it is, if you want to mix something with Coke, grab a cheap bottle of Jim Beam and have at it. Scotch Whisky is a horse of a different color.

Gotcha. Does scotch burn more than bourbon?

Scottw
11-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Gotcha. Does scotch burn more than bourbon?
Depends on the quality. Cheap bourbon burns and so does cheap scotch.

Cigary
11-25-2008, 02:13 PM

Good Post here, Kayaker,,,I always try to expand my horizons with different tastes but have never heard what an Arran Island malt is,,where might I find something in this taste or the name of the scotch?:hm

Heliofire
11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
My favorites are the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or and the new Glenmorangie Signet.

icurrie
11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I had a great experience touring Scotland's oldest distillery, Glenturret. I was there about 8 years ago and really learned alot there. Also got to enjoy the samples. Great stuff.

macpappy
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Actually I find the scotch from the Speyside region to be lighter and sweeter than other regions. It's also has less of a smokey peat taste than other regions.

macpappy
11-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Glenlivet is good. I've also developed a liking for McClelland's Single Malt from the Speyside region and it's relatively inexpensive. I get it for $20 a bottle. They also have a McClelland's Highland, Lowland and Islay. I would suggest buying a bottle of each and deciding which profile you like best. Then start exploring more expensive scotch from that region. My current favorite is The Glenrothes. I'm working on a bottle of vintage 1991 right now. The older vintages are even better.

I also have a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra that is very good.

Scottw
11-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Glenlivet is good. I've also developed a liking for McClelland's Single Malt from the Speyside region and it's relatively inexpensive. I get it for $20 a bottle. They also have a McClelland's Highland, Lowland and Islay. I would suggest buying a bottle of each and deciding which profile you like best. Then start exploring more expensive scotch from that region. My current favorite is The Glenrothes. I'm working on a bottle of vintage 1991 right now. The older vintages are even better.

I also have a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra that is very good.

Nadurra? Is that cask strength?

bigloo
11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Nadurra? Is that cask strength?

Yes it is. I have a bottle too. For ~$50, it is tought to beat this. It takes a hairy chest to drink and is somwhat potent (not in a harsh way, in a pungent way if that makes sense), but the back vanilla on the it is outstanding. Pair with a patagas black!

kayaker
11-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Good Post here, Kayaker,,,I always try to expand my horizons with different tastes but have never heard what an Arran Island malt is,,where might I find something in this taste or the name of the scotch?:hm

Sorry I wasn't clear here. There is one distillery in Arran Island, the Arran Island Distillery :).

An Arran Island malt would just be one of theirs. There is a Robbie Burns bottle from this distillery that may be a bit cheaper than their usual bottlings.

Hope that helps.

MTB996
11-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Great thread Kayaker!

Any info on a decent mail order site for purchasing harder to find scotch that doesn't kill you on shipping (the the SE US)?

I see you are from Newfoundland. I spent a week in St Johns a few years back. I think I was sober for about 20 total minutes all week (a friend was getting married up there). Wow, what a cool town.

Scottw
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Cracking open a little Bunnah 12 right now to get in the whisky mood.

SilverFox
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a couple of favourites I will share.

They are not for the faint of heart when it comes to wallet though.

My absolute favorite scotch is BenRiach Madeira Finish an exquisite 15 yr old single malt, it is a limited production scotch (only 2,400) bottles per year.

My other is BruichLaddich 21 year old.

http://www.laddieshop.com/acatalog/21yo_tin_bottlepopup.jpg

kayaker
11-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Great thread Kayaker!

Any info on a decent mail order site for purchasing harder to find scotch that doesn't kill you on shipping (the the SE US)?

I see you are from Newfoundland. I spent a week in St Johns a few years back. I think I was sober for about 20 total minutes all week (a friend was getting married up there). Wow, what a cool town.

Good question. I only know of Royal Mile Whiskies (http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/) off the top of my head, but I'll look into it. RMW is a UK store.

Glad to hear you were treated well on your visit here.:D

EDIT: OK, here's all I found with a quick search. I am not familiar with them.
http://www.lovescotch.com/

Hope this helps.

kayaker
11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I have a couple of favourites I will share.

They are not for the faint of heart when it comes to wallet though.

My absolute favorite scotch is BenRiach Madeira Finish an exquisite 15 yr old single malt, it is a limited production scotch (only 2,400) bottles per year.

My other is BruichLaddich 21 year old.

:dr:dr:dr:dr:dr:dr:dr:dr:dr:

Me likey Brookie. Haven't had the 21 yet though.

My buddy Andrew is from Scotland and manages Grapes and Grains South in Edmonton. He's going home after Christmas for the first time in 5-6 years. For his 30th BDay he will be at the Bruichladdich distillery with his brother, drinking the 30 yr. Bastage.:D

SD Beerman
11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
A great beginner scotch to try is Singleton, a single malt, very mellow and not offensive in any way. Smooth and let's you get the taste of the malts without burning your tongue. Also, fairly inexpensive. Glenkichie is great too but pricey.

macpappy
11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Great thread Kayaker!

Give this place a call.

http://www.specsonline.com/

I don't know what their shipping policy is so you'll have to ask.

Scottw
11-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Thought I would start by giving you my definition/explanation about SMSW. I do it backwards:

Whisky = fermented grain (corn, rye, barley…) which is then distilled, usually aged in oak barrels (eg. rye, malt, bourbon).

Scotch = Whisky from Scotland only, has to be aged 3 years min., and must be distilled, aged, bottled in Scotland.

Malt = barley that has been soaked and allowed to germinate to maximize sugars, then dried, crushed and made into beer, which is then distilled.

Single = whisky that comes from one distillery only.

So SMSW is a Scotch whisky made from malted barley and from a single distillery.

Is that as clear as mud?:D

As I tend to enjoy a single barrel bourbon from time to time. I'd just like to throw my 2 cents in here regarding it.

In order for a Whisky to be called "Bourbon", The primary (at least 51%) ingredient must be corn. The distilled spirit must be aged in NEW charred oak barrels and cannot be distilled at greater than 160 proof. It must be aged at least 2 years to be called a Straight Bourbon Whisky and the spirit must fo int the barrel at no more than 125 proof.

macpappy
11-26-2008, 04:41 AM
As I tend to enjoy a single barrel bourbon from time to time. I'd just like to throw my 2 cents in here regarding it.

In order for a Whisky to be called "Bourbon", The primary (at least 51%) ingredient must be corn. The distilled spirit must be aged in NEW charred oak barrels and cannot be distilled at greater than 160 proof. It must be aged at least 2 years to be called a Straight Bourbon Whisky and the spirit must fo int the barrel at no more than 125 proof.

Though I don't remember why, I was told one time that Scotch Whisky is always spelled "whisky" while Bourbon, Sour Mash and others are always spelled whiskey.

kayaker
11-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Yeah, I'm not fully sure why, but Scotland and Canada leave off the e, US and Ireland use the e.

But it's not carved in stone. Apparently they have appeared in the opposite form in written law in the US and Scotland.

Kevin Erskine talks a bit about it in his book The Instant Expert's Guide to Single Malt Scotch. It's a great little book that you can pick up for $10-12.

Buena Fortuna
11-26-2008, 05:45 AM
I recently procured a bottle of Crown Royal Special Reserve as a way to ease into the world of Whiskey & Scotch w/cigars. I know it's blended Canadian, but my was it ever smooth...

My neighborhood store has a gift set of 10yr. Glenmorangie with glasses for around $50. Has anyone had this scotch and how would you rate it for a first timer like myself?

kayaker
11-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Glenmorangie is a solid single malt and is not too robust in flavour.

Go for it.:D

RBOrrell
11-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Kayaker.... have you had the Glen Breton single malt made by your neighbours on Cape Breton Island? It is really good stuff.

SilverFox
11-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Yup Glenmorangie was my goto scotch for a long time.

Always found it finished a little sweet, almost like honey.

Will still drink it if we are out and about and the local establishment doesn't have a broad scotch collection

kayaker
11-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Kayaker.... have you had the Glen Breton single malt made by your neighbours on Cape Breton Island? It is really good stuff.

I have and enjoyed it well enough. A bit expensive though.

We have another SM distillery opening up on the west coast now.

http://www.shelterpointdistillery.com/index.html

Buena Fortuna
11-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Picked up the Glenmorangie and a bottle of 18 yr. Bowmore w/Bowmore cigar holder. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out...

cigars_n_scotch
11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I love this thread! So much information, I need to keep a book! Thanks Kayaker.

Let me just say that I love scotch. I am no where near the expert but truly enjoy drinking this lovely beverage. I have much to learn.

Some of my favorites [various yrs] are (the norms that you can typically find in any liquor store):
Macallan
Glenlivet
Lagavulin
Glenfiddich
Balvenie
Laphroaig

You know, the standard faves I think. Talisker is also decent.

Blended:
Johnny Walker-Black, Green, and Blue but I don't venture too often into the Blue and Green because of price.

Buena Fortuna, you can't go wrong with Glenmorangie. Solid single malt, especially for a beginner to ease into this lovely world. You might even want to try Macallan 12, a good intro to Scotch.

Spect
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
My wife and I are enjoying a Glenlivet Nadurra right now, it's her 2nd or 3rd scotch and she's loving it. I find the Nadurra a little sweet, for the moment I enjoy it but I don't think it's something I could have regularly.

kayaker
11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
I can't get that (Nadura) where I live so I'll have to keep an eye out for it abroad.

macpappy
11-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Yes it is. I have a bottle too. For ~$50, it is tought to beat this. It takes a hairy chest to drink and is somwhat potent (not in a harsh way, in a pungent way if that makes sense), but the back vanilla on the it is outstanding. Pair with a patagas black!

When I first tried the Nadurra neat my first thought was this will put hair on your chest and if you had hair on your chest it will remove it.:r But I've experimented with it and for me the best way to drink it is one ice cube, two shots of Nadurra and 1/2 shot spring water.

Buena Fortuna
11-26-2008, 06:07 PM
How is the Bowmore 18 for a newbie? Stick w/the Glenmorangie 1st?
Posted via Mobile Device

kayaker
11-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I'd start with the Glenmorangie to warm yourself up. Then give the Bowmore a try. Just cleanse your palate in between with some bread or a plain, unsalted cracker and some water. Go slow on the Bowmore though. It should be pretty smooth at 18, but the taste will still be bigger than the Glenmorangie.

Just us know your impressions.

JohnnyFlake
11-26-2008, 08:57 PM
How is the Bowmore 18 for a newbie? Stick w/the Glenmorangie 1st?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowmore 18 can be pricey. Why not start with a Bowmore 10, a great single malt, at about 1/3 the price!

Scottw
11-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Though I don't remember why, I was told one time that Scotch Whisky is always spelled "whisky" while Bourbon, Sour Mash and others are always spelled whiskey.

I think you are right but I am so used to drinking the single malts and have seen the "e" omitted so many times, I just do it naturally for all although I typically refer to Bourbon as just plain old bourbon, not whisky at all even though it is.

macpappy
11-27-2008, 05:42 AM
I think you are right but I am so used to drinking the single malts and have seen the "e" omitted so many times, I just do it naturally for all although I typically refer to Bourbon as just plain old bourbon, not whisky at all even though it is.

You have a point. When I offer guests something to drink I never say whiskey. I usually say Scotch, Bourbon, Sour Mash, Tequila or Rum unless they are really good friends who know me then I just give them the brand names. (I save a lot of Scotch that way because most of them think of the cheap blends when you say scotch. If I said single malt, I would go through a lot more.)

MadAl
11-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Bowmore 18 can be pricey. Why not start with a Bowmore 10, a great single malt, at about 1/3 the price!

I really like Bowmore Darkest. Probably in the middle pricewise.

Buena Fortuna
11-27-2008, 02:14 PM
I picked up the Bowmore for $60 w/a leather Bowmore cigar case

I really like Bowmore Darkest. Probably in the middle pricewise.
Posted via Mobile Device

spectrrr
11-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Drambuie is of course unique, however for something along similar lines, I would recommend you try the Glayva. I have a bottle, its quite interesting. I like it if I'm in the mood for something sweeter (although I'm still a classic single malt fan at heart).

""Hugely popular Scottish whisky liqueur based on honey, spices and herbs. The name is supposed to have come from Gaelic "Glembath" meaning 'very good' ""
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5237.aspx
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Glayva_Whisky__Review_5614385

spectrrr
11-27-2008, 05:24 PM
What is a good IRISH wiskey?

I've had and have a wide variety of scotch wiskey.. but I've never had Irish. I've heard some good things about the "authentic" stuff that they mostly drink over there.... but I dont know WHAT that is..... anyone have some suggestions for good irish wiskeys?

kayaker
11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
These are the single malts:

Bushmills. I've had the 10 yr and enjoyed it

Connemara is a peated single malt. I've had and enjoyed it more because I like peat.

There's also Locke's and Tryconnell. I only just heard of these so haven't tried them.

Scottw
11-27-2008, 07:48 PM
These are the single malts:

Bushmills. I've had the 10 yr and enjoyed it

Connemara is a peated single malt. I've had and enjoyed it more because I like peat.

There's also Locke's and Tryconnell. I only just heard of these so haven't tried them.

Try the bushmills 21. Even though it is an Irish Whisky and not a scotch, it is unbelievable.

JohnnyFlake
11-27-2008, 11:17 PM
What is a good IRISH wiskey?

I've had and have a wide variety of scotch wiskey.. but I've never had Irish. I've heard some good things about the "authentic" stuff that they mostly drink over there.... but I dont know WHAT that is..... anyone have some suggestions for good irish wiskeys?

Redbreast Irish Whiskey 12yo is wonderful. Also, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Jameson 12yo and Jameson 18yo. I have never tried the 18yo, however, the standard Jameson is a great whiskey and the 12yo is amazing!

spectrrr
11-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Try the bushmills 21. Even though it is an Irish Whisky and not a scotch, it is unbelievable.

21 eh? do I even want to ask what that sucker is going to cost me?
Posted via Mobile Device

Walt
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
After coming across this thread I decided to swing by the Wine and Spirits shop for a bottle of Scotch on the way home from work. I jotted down a few brands and headed out wanting to try something new. Some of the available recommendations were a little pricey so I decided to give the McClelland's Islay a try.

Up until now I have really enjoyed Macallan 12, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet. While in Vegas for IPCPR I had a sample of Laphroag and didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure what variety I had but it was way over the top with a peaty flavor.

I tried this McClelland's Islay tonight and it has that same peaty flavor, although much more subdued. Is this Peaty flavor profile typical of an Islay? After trying it I decided to read the bottle and saw mentions of peaty flavor due to the water used, which is why I ask.

While I dont enjoy it nearly as much as the others mentioned, it certainly won't go to waste. Sure beats my first experience with Scotch in the form of Johnny Walker Red Label (that made me gag after sipping it).

JohnnyFlake
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
After coming across this thread I decided to swing by the Wine and Spirits shop for a bottle of Scotch on the way home from work. I jotted down a few brands and headed out wanting to try something new. Some of the available recommendations were a little pricey so I decided to give the McClelland's Islay a try.

Up until now I have really enjoyed Macallan 12, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet. While in Vegas for IPCPR I had a sample of Laphroag and didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure what variety I had but it was way over the top with a peaty flavor.

I tried this McClelland's Islay tonight and it has that same peaty flavor, although much more subdued. Is this Peaty flavor profile typical of an Islay? After trying it I decided to read the bottle and saw mentions of peaty flavor due to the water used, which is why I ask.

While I dont enjoy it nearly as much as the others mentioned, it certainly won't go to waste. Sure beats my first experience with Scotch in the form of Johnny Walker Red Label (that made me gag after sipping it).

I hope this helps!

This is a brief description of the flavor profiles most prominent by Region:

Lowlands:
The best have strong suggestions of lemon grass and maltiness.

Highlands:
The Northern Areas offer a spicy character.
The remaining areas of the Highlands offer distinctly fruity flavor profiles.

Speyside:
These are noted in general for their elegance, and flowery, heather-honey nuances, and they sometimes offer a very restrained, fragrant, peatiness.

Islay:
The best have strong notes of peat, hints of saltiness and strong medicinal nuances.

Campbeltown:
The best have a briny, salty flavor profile with restrained peaty & medicinal notes.

kayaker
12-04-2008, 05:06 AM
The peaty taste common to the Islay malt, does come in part from the water. However, it would most like come most from the drying process for the malted barley. After the soaking and germination (to get more sugars), the barley has to be dried. Islay has a great deal of peat available on it, so it was common burn peat for the drying.

Some distilleries still malt some of their own barley, but I don't think any malt all of it. Malted barley can be ordered to the exact peating level required (measured in phenolic parts per million). 50 ppms would be at the higher end of the peat spectrum, although there are some distilleries putting out special bottlings with 80 + ppm.

If memory serves me correct, the McClellands Islay is a young Bowmore. Try the older stuff if you can (12 +).

MadAl
12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I hope this helps!

Lowlands:

Highlands:

Speyside:
These are noted in general for their elegance, and flowery, heather-honey nuances, and they sometimes offer a very restrained, fragrant, peatiness.

Islay:
The best have strong notes of peat, hints of saltiness and strong medicinal nuances.

Campbeltown:
The best have a briny, salty flavor profile with restrained peaty & medicinal notes.

Don't forget Islands, though diverse there are some really nice single malts with unique characteristics.

Walt
12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I hope this helps!

Lowlands:

Highlands:

Speyside:

Islay:

Campbeltown:

Thanks, that's a great little resource to have on hand. I'll be printing that out for future reference.

wayner123
01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Can you recommend some nice salty Scotches? I really enjoyed the Glenfiddich 12 yr.

JohnnyFlake
01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Can you recommend some nice salty Scotches? I really enjoyed the Glenfiddich 12 yr.

Most of the younger Spring Bank offerings offer salty, pine nut flavors, that are mostly tasted on the finish. The Spring Bank 10yo is my personal favorite and it offers distinct salty hints in it's flavor profile.

Longrow 10yo, is another that has distinct hints of ocean saltiness mixed into it's flavor profile. A great Scotch!

Note: They are both Campbletown offerings!

kayaker
01-08-2009, 05:08 PM
That's a great question. I don't really know what I've had that would qualify as Salty. It's not a taste I can readily identify.

Are you looking for malts similar to Glenfiddich?

jkim05
01-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Try a scotch from Old Pulteney, I think I know the taste profile you're referring to...if not, then so be it, but I find it more with the Islays generally, though it can be easily overwhelmed by peat.

MadAl
01-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I've had a couple of bottles of Springbank, how does Longrow compare?

Most of the younger Spring Bank offerings offer salty, pine nut flavors, that are mostly tasted on the finish. The Spring Bank 10yo is my personal favorite and it offers distinct salty hints in it's flavor profile.

Longrow 10yo, is another that has distinct hints of ocean saltiness mixed into it's flavor profile. A great Scotch!

wayner123
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Try a scotch from Old Pulteney, I think I know the taste profile you're referring to...if not, then so be it, but I find it more with the Islays generally, though it can be easily overwhelmed by peat.

I have heard a great deal about this scotch lately. It's rather inexpensive as well. It's already on the list, and it just moved up a few places.

Hey thanks, I'll try and get some of both.

That's a great question. I don't really know what I've had that would qualify as Salty. It's not a taste I can readily identify.

Are you looking for malts similar to Glenfiddich?

Well not so much similar to glenfiddich but similar to that salty aftertaste.

RBOrrell
01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Had an opportunity to list my Scotch collection over the holidays. I enjoy each of them but I gravitate to the Islays as my go to malt.

o Highland
Dalwhinnie 15 yo
The Macallan “Cask Strength”
Compass Box Special Canadian Edition
Glenmorangie Original 10 yo

o Isle of Islay
Laphroaig 10 yo
Bowmore Mariner 15 yo
Ardbeg 10 yo
Caol Ila 12 yo

o Speyside
The Glenrothes 12 yo
The Glenlivet 12 yo

o Isle of Jura
Superstition 15 yo

o Lowlands
Auchentoshan 10 yo

o Isle of Skye
Talisker 10 yo

o Orkney Islands
Highland Park 12 yo

o Blends
Whyte & Mackay “The Thirteen” 13 yo

o Canadian Single Malt
Glen Breton 10 yo

kayaker
01-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice list. I'll post mine up later. I had a few nice additions over Christmas. :D

SMW
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Had an opportunity to list my Scotch collection over the holidays. I enjoy each of them but I gravitate to the Islays as my go to malt.

o Highland
Dalwhinnie 15 yo
The Macallan “Cask Strength”
Compass Box Special Canadian Edition
Glenmorangie Original 10 yo

o Isle of Islay
Laphroaig 10 yo
Bowmore Mariner 15 yo
Ardbeg 10 yo
Caol Ila 12 yo

o Speyside
The Glenrothes 12 yo
The Glenlivet 12 yo

o Isle of Jura
Superstition 15 yo

o Lowlands
Auchentoshan 10 yo

o Isle of Skye
Talisker 10 yo

o Orkney Islands
Highland Park 12 yo

o Blends
Whyte & Mackay “The Thirteen” 13 yo

o Canadian Single Malt
Glen Breton 10 yo

Impressive to say the least. Question though, how is the Superstition 15? I've heard some mixed things. I have never had it, but I hear is tastes pretty sweet (literally) throughout.

kayaker
01-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Here's what I have right now. There's a couple of blends and ryes mixed in.

Ardbeg Uigaedail
Ardbeg 1990 12
Auchroisk 14
Balvenie 10
Benromach Traditional
Bowmore 17
Bowmore Cask Strength
Bruichladdie 3D3
Bruichladdie Celtic Nations
Caol Ila 12
Chivas Regal
Compass Box Peat Monster
Dalmore Cigar
Dalwhinnie 15
Famous Grouse 12
Glen Grant 25
Glenfiddich 12
Highland Park 16
Isle of Jura Superstition
Johnny Walker Green Label 15
Lagavulin 2006 12
Lagavulin 16
Macallan Fine Oak 10
Old Pultney 8
Port Ellen 24
Te Bheagh
Arlberta Premium 25
Forty Creek Barrel Select

JohnnyFlake
01-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Kayaker & SMW both have some awesome stuff on hand! I use to have about 25 bottles in reserve, but over the last few years, it's dwindled down considerably. I gave a few bottles away to relatives, and what you see is what I have left, that I enjoy with my cigars and pipes, when I smoke them. I plan on adding 4 to 6 bottles in the next few months. I am trying to put together a selection that will give me a nice variety of flavor profiles! These are what I am working on at present!!!

SMW
01-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Kayaker & SMW both have some awesome stuff on hand! I use to have about 25 bottles in reserve, but over the last few years, it's dwindled down considerably. I gave a few bottles away to relatives, and what you see is what I have left, that I enjoy with my cigars and pipes, when I smoke them. I plan on adding 4 to 6 bottles in the next few months. I am trying to put together a selection that will give me a nice variety of flavor profiles! These are what I am working on at present!!!

Great picture...the visuals add quite a bit. But (unfortunately) I can't take the credit for the post above. That was RBOrrell's collection. Thanks for the props though.

JohnnyFlake
01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Great picture...the visuals add quite a bit. But (unfortunately) I can't take the credit for the post above. That was RBOrrell's collection. Thanks for the props though.

My Bad - thanks for the heads-up!

Studebaker
01-10-2009, 08:42 AM
This may just be my ignorance, but regarding the salty/Glenfiddich discussion a few posts back....

The island region gets its salty influence from the sea air and seaweed, which adds the salty flavor to the peat used by the distilleries. That's what brings out the iodine/medicinal flavor in the island brands too. I haven't acquired that taste so I can't speak to specific brands.

Glenfiddich, on the other hand, is produced in the Highlands and I thought it had more of a malty sweetness. At least the 12-year-old I've been sipping does.

RBOrrell
01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Impressive to say the least. Question though, how is the Superstition 15? I've heard some mixed things. I have never had it, but I hear is tastes pretty sweet (literally) throughout.

I read your post last night and I could not answer it.... so I went and poured myself a glass of it.

It does have a slight sweetness to it, especially on the finish. I could only describe it as slightly caramel.

I bought this bottle and a couple of others at the Whiskey Live show in Toronto a year or so ago. With the admission fee, you got some tickets for samples. I had one taste of Supersitition and I had to buy a bottle. I got a free sample of the Whyte & MacKay at the same show. For a blend (some called it vatted) I was blown away and the cost is reasonable.

Last Friday night I was at the CN Tower in Toronto for dinner. I had a Glenmorangie Sherry cask. It was amazing. It's next on my list to buy.

Kayaker, I see you have the Compass Box Peat Monster on your list. How do you like it? I have considered it too.

kayaker
01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Kayaker, I see you have the Compass Box Peat Monster on your list. How do you like it? I have considered it too.

It's not bad, but I think I would buy a nice peaty single malt instead next time. It's peaty but doesn't have a lot of character, missing some of the nuance of a single distillery.

Worth trying out though to see for yourself.

yourchoice
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Great thread guys, and a lot of good information.

I enjoy Scotch. I enjoy Scotch very much. But when I peruse the isle at the liquor store, I become overwhelmed. I guess that's a good thing -- I have a nice variety from which to choose. The gentleman at the store that specializes in their Scotches seems knowledgeable, but I haven't been "wowed" by any of his recommendations.

I find that I most enjoy the peat associated with Islays. What would be your recommendations (more than one is fine) for a reasonably priced (say less than $50 or $60) SMSW with these characteristics?

If I may, another recommendationesqe (not a word, I know :)) question. I believe in the mantra that variety is the spice of life, and I don't want to focus on one profile/region. I'd like to start (over the course of the next few months) a Scotch collection. What Scotches from the different regions would you recommend that best touch on the attributes associated with each region? This would be more of my learning curve exercise so I wouldn't want things to get too pricy.

Again, thanks for this thread, it is a great resource.

kayaker
01-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey yourchoice,

What have you had so far? That might help narrow down the suggestions.

For an Islay malt, try the Bowmore 12 (~$40). You can also go for the 15 yr, but I'm not sure of the price. I find this one nicely balanced. It's peaty, but not uberly so, (I can make up words too :D) and other nice characteristics in the profile.

Ardbeg 10 is definitely peatier and still within your price range.

Bruichladdich is generally less peaty, but I'm not sure right off whats in their line at $50-60.

With regards to the other regions, or other great Scotches, Highland Part 12 is great, Glenmorangie too.

If you want a good variety, try the Classic 6:

(I just cut this from here (http://www.awa.dk/whisky/clasmalt.htm))
OBAN (Sweet) A 14 year old combining the sophistication of the Highlands with a touch of the peaty style of the Islands. It is rich and full-bodied with a mellow fruity finish.

GLENKINCHIE (Ladies whisky) Glenkinchie is a soft, sweetly aromatic malt from the 'Garden of Scotland'. Is has a fresh, grassy sweetness balanced with a warming, dryish finish.

CRAGGANMORE (Medium) A 12 year old elegant, sophisticated Speyside with the most complex aroma of any malt. Astonishingly fragrant with sweetish notes and a smoky maltiness on the finish.

TALISKER A bit smoked. A 10 year old and the only malt produced on Skye. Its seaweedy, smoky nose and sweet maltiness is perfectly complimented by its spicy, long finish.

DALWHINNIE A 15 year old gentle, delicate malt from the wild and windswept Highlands. It is subtle, smooth delicately smody malt with a heathery honey finish.

LAGAVULIN (This is Smoked.) A 16 year old distinctive and powerful Islay malt. It is deeply smoky and peaty with a velvety, complex finish.

They may generally be at the upper end of your limit or a bit above, but worth considering.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Hope this helps,

kayaker

SMW
01-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I read your post last night and I could not answer it.... so I went and poured myself a glass of it.

It does have a slight sweetness to it, especially on the finish. I could only describe it as slightly caramel.

I bought this bottle and a couple of others at the Whiskey Live show in Toronto a year or so ago. With the admission fee, you got some tickets for samples. I had one taste of Supersitition and I had to buy a bottle. I got a free sample of the Whyte & MacKay at the same show. For a blend (some called it vatted) I was blown away and the cost is reasonable.

Last Friday night I was at the CN Tower in Toronto for dinner. I had a Glenmorangie Sherry cask. It was amazing. It's next on my list to buy.

Thanks for the answer...I hope you weren't saving it for a special occasion. But as they say, just opening a bottle of fine scotch makes it a special occasion. But that sounds like a pretty good drink, "slightly caramel" sounds very interesting indeed. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Whyte & MacKay. Its always nice to stumble upon a blend that surprises. At any rate, thanks for the response.

gpugliese
01-13-2009, 09:00 AM
I find that I most enjoy the peat associated with Islays. What would be your recommendations (more than one is fine) for a reasonably priced (say less than $50 or $60) SMSW with these characteristics?

If I may, another recommendationesqe (not a word, I know :)) question. I believe in the mantra that variety is the spice of life, and I don't want to focus on one profile/region. I'd like to start (over the course of the next few months) a Scotch collection. What Scotches from the different regions would you recommend that best touch on the attributes associated with each region? This would be more of my learning curve exercise so I wouldn't want things to get too pricy.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I never was much of a scotch guy until recently, when I had the chance to do a vertical taste test on Highland Park 18, 25 and 30 years. The 18 year is reasonable, but the 25 & 30 are quite expensive. Definitely an eye opening experience!

I then was introduced to Lagavulin 16, and I really enjoyed the smokey flavor from the peat. A friend of mine recommended Laphroaig 10 or 15 year, as the Lagavulin 16 runs $70+. I've seen Laphroaig 10 at $35 online, but only for $40-50 locally. I did see a bottle of the 15 year on sale for $55, so I grabbed it.

Scottw
01-13-2009, 09:46 AM
The laphroaig is a tasty dram. If you want super Peaty, try Peat Monster by Compass Box whiskey. The owner of the distiller had a tasting that I attended and this thing is full od peaty, smokey goodness. Problem is I don't know how much it costs. It shouldn't be too much higher than your price range through.

JohnnyFlake
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM

Again, thanks for this thread, it is a great resource.

Here are a few suggestions to consider, in your quest for variety! These should all be well within your budget!

Ardberg 10yo - Islay / Michael Jackson’s review – Tar-Like, Medicinal, Seaweedy-Salty, with a light Maltiness and a Lemon Skin Fruitiness!

Arberlour 10yo – Speyside / Michael Jackson’s review – Nutty Maltiness, Unusually Textured, Nougat-Like with a hint of Cherries. It’s beautifully balanced!

Highland Park 12yo – Island (non-Islay) / Michael Jackson’s review – Exceptionally smooth, Succulent, with a Smoky Dryness, a Heathery-Honey Sweetness and a light Maltiness! Exceptional!

Glenmorangie 12yo – Highlands / Michael Jackson’s review – Up front Butterscotch, with lot’s of Vanilla and Honey!

Springbank 10yo – Campbeltown / Michael Jackson’s review – Soft, Marshmallowy, Sweet Red Apples, Pears and Hedgerow Fruits!

I am not very familiar with any, from the Lowland Region, so I cannot make a recommendation at this time.

yourchoice
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Wow, thanks for all the fantastic input everyone. Sometime tonight (when I'm not supposed to be working :)) I'll post what I have had up until this point...of course after reviewing all of the selections I'm thinking about swinging by the liquor store to pick one out!

yourchoice
01-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Okay, shoot me! I put together a list real quick :D

Current Selection at home:
Glenfiddich
Bruichladdich – The Rocks

Have had recently:
Bunnahabhain 12 yr
Tomintoul 10 yr
Speyburn

“It’s been a while” - so long that I can't really recall the characteristics of each:
Balvenie (I can’t recall which one)
Dalwhinnie
Glen Moray

As for blends, I’ve recently had JW Black and Chivas and have had many others not so recently.

Of all the ones noted I recall enjoying the Bunnahabhain the most. It seemed to have a very strong character so to speak. The two I have at home, while nice, just aren’t wowing me. The Bruichladdich has the salty character referenced in an earlier post. The Glenfiddich is….well…. Glenfiddich. Again, nice but just there. I have sampled many others but don’t feel it’s been recent enough for me to even mention them.

yourchoice
01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
If you want a good variety, try the Classic 6:

(I just cut this from here (http://www.awa.dk/whisky/clasmalt.htm))

Well, I did in fact go to my local merchant tonight and they have the display shown in your link. Thought I'd mention it.

I ended up buying the Ardbeg 10yo as recommended by many. It ran me 52.99 which seems reasonable. I intended to try the Glenmorangie as well, but they were out of stock. If they don't have it next time, I think I may try the Highland Park 12 instead.

Thanks for the abundance of info.

JohnnyFlake
01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, I did in fact go to my local merchant tonight and they have the display shown in your link. Thought I'd mention it.

I ended up buying the Ardbeg 10yo as recommended by many. It ran me 52.99 which seems reasonable. I intended to try the Glenmorangie as well, but they were out of stock. If they don't have it next time, I think I may try the Highland Park 12 instead.

Thanks for the abundance of info.

Great choices to start with!

Let us know what your thoughts are, on each of your selections, as you try them!

kayaker
01-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I think I may try the Highland Park 12 instead.

I'd take the HP over Glenmorangie. Ardbeg is a great choice.

Let us know how you like it.

cort
01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Alright guys I will leave this in your hands....

I have only tried a few and am very new to scotch. I am a big Whiskey fan and would like to dabble in the single malt scotch scene a bit.

I would like to try something a bit on the smoother side with maybe a hint of floral or sweet notes. I am looking to spend around $50. What do you suggest? Also what is a descent $30 range bottle?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Scottw
01-13-2009, 09:39 PM
I would do some Ardbeg 10 for th $50.00 bottle and for the $30.00, there's Tomatin 12 or Mclellands high/lowland and they make an Islay as well.

kayaker
01-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Scapa 14 is very smooth, and easy on the pocket book ($40ish). Dalwhinnie is also great but more expensive ($60ish).

Arran Island distillery has some nice, kinda fruity flavoured bottles, not sure on prices.

Glenkinchie is also smooth, but on a price point similar to the Dalwhinnie.

That's all I can come up with right now.

JohnnyFlake
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Alright guys I will leave this in your hands....

I have only tried a few and am very new to scotch. I am a big Whiskey fan and would like to dabble in the single malt scotch scene a bit.

I would like to try something a bit on the smoother side with maybe a hint of floral or sweet notes. I am looking to spend around $50. What do you suggest? Also what is a descent $30 range bottle?

Thanks in advance

Gary

This would be a perfect choice in the $40 range:

Highland Park 12yo – Island (non-Islay) / Michael Jackson’s review – Exceptionally smooth, Succulent, with a Smoky Dryness, a Heathery-Honey Sweetness and a light Maltiness! Exceptional!

Don't know of any SMS in the $30 range that are worthy of recommendation, however, with blends, Johnnie Walker Black is my go to scotch at around $28 a fifth. An amazingly complex scotch! Chivas Regal 12yo is also a worthy choice, in a blend, right at $30 a bottle.

cort
01-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks alot for all of the suggestions guys. Much appreciated. I am going to Bevmo tomorrow to pick up a bottle. I will let you know what I get once I decide. Thanks again.

pmp
01-15-2009, 08:49 AM
I've been drinking the hell out of aberlour 12 lately. I loved the 10, the 16 and abunahd but of all the aberlour range the 12 is my favorite.For 35 bucks a bottle is literally unbeatable.

Another great inexpensive single malt is mccallan fine oak 10. This stuff keeps my interest better than the mccallan fine oak 15 and the regular mccallan range.

As far as more expensive stuff goes I rarely find myself straying from lagavulin or talisker these days. They just offer so much that I want in a quality single malt. The mouthfeel is really what sets them apart for me.

kayaker
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Nice choices there PMP. I need to get more familiar with the Aberlour line.

yourchoice
01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Well guys, I must say I am very pleased with the Ardbeg 10 yo I purchased. The medicinal quality of it is evident and very pleasing. The peatiness of it hits the spot :tu

I'm excited to continue my sampling journey!

kayaker
01-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Glad you enjoy it. I also really enjoy the Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's more expensive, but it is cask strength (usually requires water to drink) and very tasty.

JohnnyFlake
01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Well guys, I must say I am very pleased with the Ardbeg 10 yo I purchased. The medicinal quality of it is evident and very pleasing. The peatiness of it hits the spot :tu

I'm excited to continue my sampling journey!

Excellent choice!

It's very cool that you are happy with the selection you made!

yourchoice
01-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I'd take the HP over Glenmorangie.

I ran out this weekend and picked up the Highland Park 12yo as suggested ($39.99). I couldn't imagine the difference between my two most recent purchases (Ardbeg and HP) being more different. The HP was very smooth, probably the smoothest scotch I've had. Where the Ardbeg was medicinal and peaty, the HP was sweet like honey. Pretty cool that two things so similar could be so entirely different.

In my limited experience the HP 12yo would be a great scotch for someone who is just getting into scotch.

Which did I like better? Most of the time I would see myself reaching for the Ardbeg as I really enjoy the intense flavors, but if I'm looking for something smooth I'd definitely grab the HP.

Now, what to buy next?!? :r

Great...another S
``````````````L
```````````````O
`````````````````P
```````````````````E
`````````````````````!

kayaker
01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Now, what to buy next?!? :r

Try the Bowmore 12 or 15. It has some of the characteristics of both the HP and Ardbeg, nicely balanced.

Glad you are enjoying.

AD720
01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Try the Bowmore 12 or 15. It has some of the characteristics of both the HP and Ardbeg, nicely balanced.

Glad you are enjoying.

:tpd:

The Bowmore 12 year is excellent.

I also really, really enjoy the Bowmore Legend, best under $30 a bottle single malt I've had so for.

Biglizard1
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
The other day I randomly mentioned to my wife that I needed to buy some Scotch, the wonderful bride that she is went to the store the next day and found a bottle of McClellands Highland. My first bottle of Scotch. I think that she did a good job! I am resisting the urge to place anything in the glass with the Scotch. so far so good.;)

kayaker
01-26-2009, 12:36 AM
I was at a Robbie Burn's day celebration this evening. After a sample of Scottish beer (McEwan's and Innis & Gunn), we had haggis supper and several drams.

Here's what I remember of the list:
Dalmore 12 (sprinkled over the haggis)
Glen Ord 12
Old Pultney 12
Bruichladdich XVII
Laphroaig 10
Aberlour A'bunadh
Bunnahabhain (1991, MacPhail's Collection)
Dailuaine 16

A good time was had by all. :D

Too bad it was too cold for a stogie...

RBOrrell
01-26-2009, 08:17 AM
I was at a Robbie Burn's day celebration this evening. After a sample of Scottish beer (McEwan's and Innis & Gunn), we had haggis supper and several drams.

Here's what I remember of the list:
Dalmore 12 (sprinkled over the haggis)
Glen Ord 12
Old Pultney 12
Bruichladdich XVII
Laphroaig 10
Aberlour A'bunadh
Bunnahabhain (1991, MacPhail's Collection)
Dailuaine 16

A good time was had by all. :D

Too bad it was too cold for a stogie...

Great selection. I know this is a Scotch thread but what did you think of Innis and Gunn? I just love this stuff.

I did not get to a Robbie Burns supper because I had to curl last night. Had a McClellan (the only single malt the club has) afterwards in honour of the poet.

kayaker
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Great selection. I know this is a Scotch thread but what did you think of Innis and Gunn? I just love this stuff.

I&G is great. A friend introduced it to me last year. Have you had their limited releases of IPA or the one aged in rum barrels? The IPA was great and the rum aged was very different but also good.

RBOrrell
01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I&G is great. A friend introduced it to me last year. Have you had their limited releases of IPA or the one aged in rum barrels? The IPA was great and the rum aged was very different but also good.

I have only had the original oak aged. The rum aged has just been released by the LCBO - I have to get out to buy some. The IPA is not listed by the LCBO so I have not had it.

I have a neighbour who introduced me to I&G a couple of years ago. He won't drink any old beer and I&G is near the top of his list.

Sauer Grapes
01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Anyone here tried Edradour? Apparently it is available here in the states but who knows where?

Buddy of mine loves the stuff, but I forgot what the name was when I was in the UK. It is apparently the UK's smallest distillery.

TripleF
01-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Recently I had the hankering for whisky....don't know why, I just did.

I bought my first ever bottle and it was Makers Mark. I was impressed. Started with the famous "oh this is gonna burn going down" and then it turned sweet and creamy. Had it with 3 cubes of ice.

I'll be back for another later this week. :D

JohnnyFlake
01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
I have heard of it many times, and always good things, from what I recall. I know that it's not normally available in the USA. So, I was never able to try it. Anyway, I just won a Sealed Collectible Bottle on eBay, and I should have it within a week or so. Any information about it will be appreciated.

Sauer Grapes
01-29-2009, 09:08 PM
I have heard of it many times, and always good things, from what I recall. I know that it's not normally available in the USA. So, I was never able to try it. Anyway, I just won a Sealed Collectible Bottle on eBay, and I should have it within a week or so. Any information about it will be appreciated.

Are you talking about Edradour? I know it's from Scotland's smallest distillery, supposedly VERY good.

JohnnyFlake
01-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Are you talking about Edradour? I know it's from Scotland's smallest distillery, supposedly VERY good.

I don't thing so! Here is a link to a picture of a bottle:

http://www.picable.com/Objects/Bottles/Grand-Old-Parr-Aged-12-Years-Deluxe-Scotch-Whisky.305621

Sauer Grapes
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Oh, I see the title on your post now. I'm a numbnuts.

AD720
01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
So I swung by the wine and spirits store after work to grab a bottle. I've been blowing through my bottle of Bowmore Islay Reserve and ended up drinking mostly Chivas for the last week. I was all ready to grab another bottle of of the Reserve or splurge on a bottle of Glenfiddich and I saw some McCelland's. I know it is cheap-o but for $20 a bottle I figured it's gotta be better than Cutty Shark or Dewars. The only delemma was which one - Highland, Lowland or Islay.

Tough decision...

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/8652150149/DSCF5759.jpg

...so I got them all. For $20 a bottle I am not expecting the world. Hopefully at the least I will get a better idea of the difference between each style. So far the Highland is pretty good. Anyone have experence with this distellery?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/8652150149/DSCF5761.jpg

JohnnyFlake
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't thing so! Here is a link to a picture of a bottle:

http://www.picable.com/Objects/Bottles/Grand-Old-Parr-Aged-12-Years-Deluxe-Scotch-Whisky.305621

I did a number of searches on the Grand Old Parr 12yo I mentioned above. I found two reviews by Michael Jackson, one on the 12yo and one on an 18yo. It is a blended scotch from Scotland. This is what he said about it:

Nose: Malty, Very scented, Cake-Like, Linseed.

Palate: Big, Notably firm-bodied. Malty, Cereal grains, Toasted sesame seeds, Demerara sugar and raisins, Honey, There even seems to be a hint of chili in there somewhere.

Finish: Soothing, Long, Developing slight lemon grass and a peatiness.

He scored it an 8.5 out of 10.0 and likes it better than the 18yo. BTW, this comes in one liter bottles!

I am very anxious about winning this. I hope all goes smoothly!

AD720
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Well I finished a dram of the McCelland's Highland earlier. (I like mine on the rocks).

Overall it was OK. It was a little sweet and almost syrupy for me. There was some interesting almost cirtusy sweetness to it that was pleasing but I think it was a little too sweet overall. I don't know if that is something that is indicative of Highland scotches. :confused: (Kayaker, maybe you can chime in there)

I just got home from dinner and now I am having a bit of the Islay (same way, rocks). I am enjoying this one a little bit more. It opens up with a big mouthful of salt and finishes very smooth with the medical taste on the finish. It is not as complex as the Bowmore Islay though. :hm

I'll try a bit of the Lowland tomorrow.

kayaker
01-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Overall it was OK. It was a little sweet and almost syrupy for me. There was some interesting almost cirtusy sweetness to it that was pleasing but I think it was a little too sweet overall. I don't know if that is something that is indicative of Highland scotches. :confused: (Kayaker, maybe you can chime in there)

I was trying to find out more about the McClelland's line, but my source is out of the country right now. Basically each of these regional malts is a young version from a more popular distillery. For example, I do remember being told that the Islay one is a young Bowmore. The actual age I don't know, but it has to be at least 3 years and is likely younger than 10. But I can't remember what distilleries are used for the other regions.

With regards to highland malts, they tend to be rich and robust. I think about Highland Park and Glenfarclas. I guess they can be considered a little sweet too. However, each region has scotch that may not show itself as a typical example.

One thing I wonder about is whether or not spirit caramel was used in the one you are talking about. It's the only ingredient that is allowed to be added to scotch that is not a necessary part of the process. The caramel adds colour making whisky look richer, but it may also make it sweeter. All the natural colour in Scotch comes from the barrel during the aging process. Therefore a younger whisky would have even less colour naturally and might require more caramel to make it look richer.

I don't know if this is the case here. I will drop by a liquor store to take a look at the bottles myself, and I will see if I can track down my source for more info.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
01-31-2009, 12:21 PM
I been reading this a bit an decided to give it a try.. NOt much of a drinker.. anymore.. Went out an got a bottle of Glenlivet 18.. not bad at all.. 75 bucks wasnt all that bad.. But where the hell do I go from here... Is there one with alittle more sweetness to it..

JohnnyFlake
01-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I been reading this a bit an decided to give it a try.. NOt much of a drinker.. anymore.. Went out an got a bottle of Glenlivet 18.. not bad at all.. 75 bucks wasnt all that bad.. But where the hell do I go from here... Is there one with a little more sweetness to it..

For something with a very nicely balanced sweetness, on the palate and an intense long finish, try a bottle of Glenfarclas 15yo. It's a Speyside Single Malt, and it will cost you about $45. A wonderful scotch!

AD720
01-31-2009, 05:24 PM
I was trying to find out more about the McClelland's line, but my source is out of the country right now. Basically each of these regional malts is a young version from a more popular distillery. For example, I do remember being told that the Islay one is a young Bowmore. The actual age I don't know, but it has to be at least 3 years and is likely younger than 10. But I can't remember what distilleries are used for the other regions.

That is interesting. Like I said I found the McClelland's Islay very similar to the Bowmore Islay, but without as much complexity so it being from the distellery but with less age that definitly adds up.

With regards to highland malts, they tend to be rich and robust. I think about Highland Park and Glenfarclas. I guess they can be considered a little sweet too. However, each region has scotch that may not show itself as a typical example.

One thing I wonder about is whether or not spirit caramel was used in the one you are talking about. It's the only ingredient that is allowed to be added to scotch that is not a necessary part of the process. The caramel adds colour making whisky look richer, but it may also make it sweeter. All the natural colour in Scotch comes from the barrel during the aging process. Therefore a younger whisky would have even less colour naturally and might require more caramel to make it look richer.

I don't know if this is the case here. I will drop by a liquor store to take a look at the bottles myself, and I will see if I can track down my source for more info.

Hope this helps.

I guess the addition of caramel is not something that is easy to find out about. For what it's worth I just looked at all three bottles under a light and there are no difference of color that I can see with my eyes. So if they used that caramel to darken the Highland it didn't make a difference that I can see.

I am trying a dram of the Lowland now. Right off the bat there more of a discernable whiskey smell than the Highland or the Islay. There is almost no saltyness and the finish is sweet in the cirtrisy way that I enjoyed with the Highland and much less of the syrpy sweetness that I didn't like. This one is the spiciest of the three as well. I will reserve my final impression until I finish the glass but I would put this one 2nd behind the Islay with the Highland in thrid.

Big help as always thanks Kayaker.

yourchoice
02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I am rapidly continuing my decent down the Scotch slope. Yesterday, while buying beer for the Super Bowl party (small gathering really) I hosted, I couldn't help myself and perused the Scotch isle. Walking down that isle without buying something would be akin to going to a B&M and not buying a cigar. So, of course another bottle was added to my collection. I went with a bottle of Talisker. I haven't broken the seal yet, but its day is coming! :D

That brings my rapidly increasing Scotch collection to:

Glenfiddich 12
Ardbeg 10
Talisker 10
Highland Park 12
Bruichladdich "The Rocks"

Fun....except for my wallet! :D

kayaker
02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Ardbeg 10
Talisker 10
Highland Park 12

These are great. How is the Bruichladdich? I like a lot of what they do, but have not had that one.

yourchoice
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM
These are great. How is the Bruichladdich? I like a lot of what they do, but have not had that one.

Out of the five I have, it is probably my least favorite. Kind of salty sweet in a strange way.

The aforementioned "Scotch guy" where I shop recommended it. I told him I was looking for something good for someone who was starting out that wouldn't break the bank. He recommended Bunnahabhain 12 yr to me before (which I enjoyed) so I had hoped he had another winner for me, but not so much. For the most part, his recommendations have been more off than on so I stopped asking him. You guys seem much better at it! :D :D

JohnnyFlake
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I have decided to clean out some of my Scotch stash, as I will never be able to dink them all in my life time, and I am always looking to try new to me Scotches as well!

I have the following for sale. PM me if you have any interest.

I’ll be happy to post additional pictures if requested.

Springbank CV – 750ml Campletown Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 46% alc/vol

This is a limited bottling, and is referred to as the Gold Cap Bottling. There was a previous bottling, known as the White Cap Bottling. I purchased a six bottle case of this in 1999. The following is the only review I could find.
When you can find it (very hard to find), it sells for $65 retail.

My price is also $65. However, my price includes insured S&H via USPS, within the Con. USA. I prefer payment via Money Order. I can also accept an online payment. Please add 3.5%, if paying online.

Springbank C.V. (46%, OB, golden cap, CV on the sides, circa 2000) Color: white wine (much paler than the ‘white cap’). Nose: this one starts a little more spirit and less mature than the white cap, with much more grainy and fruity notes (apples, pears) and much less minerals or smoke. There are also notes of wet cardboard, soaked grains, very light coffee, apple juice... But the notes of raw wool are here again. Not exactly the same class as the older version I think, even if both start to converge after a good fifteen minutes. Mouth: this is very different again. Big notes of pear spirit, figs, crystallized lemon zests, smoked fish... And then more and more pear spirit. Pears and kippers? Yes, it’s very unusual whisky I think, I can’t think of any other whisky that tasted like this CV. Finish: longer than the white cap’s, very bold in fact, with these interesting notes of ‘apple juice-soaked kippers’ (sorry about this weird mental image) and a slight dustiness, plus something oddly metallic.

Bowmore Claret Bordeaux Wine Casked – 750ml Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 56% alc/vol

This is a very Limited Edition. This bottle is numbered No. 2706. I purchased several bottles of this in 1998. I was able to locate two online reviews, shown below:

This is extremely rare and very, very hard to find. It is basically impossible to find in the USA, however, some vendors in Europe advertise it at 150uro to 180uro. However, if you check it out, it is almost always out of stock. Today 150uro was equal to $194 US and 180uro was equal to $240 US.

My price is $180. My price includes insured S&H via USPS within the Con USA.I prefer payment via Money Order. I can also accept an online payment. Please add 3.5%, if paying online.

Tasting Notes:
Michael Jackson - Rated it a 9 out of a possible 10

Nose
Very big in both departments. Lots of recognizably claret-like fruit-and-cedar notes-and a powerful response from Bowmore smokiness.

Palate
Bowmore beats Bordeaux.

Finish
Toffeeish (more port-like) fruit fights back convincingly. Oak keeps the contestants apart. Finally a salty battle is won by the distillery character. Comment: The fighter beat the boxer, but it was a wonderfully enjoyable contest.

Doug McIvor - Rated it a 9 out of a possible 10

Nose
Intensely perfumed, ripe summer fruits, bubble gum and honey melon? Evolving to show base notes of peat and more concentrated fruits.

Palate
Delicate to medium bodied. A gentle oiliness carries initial bursts of fruit to drier complexities.

Finish
Teasing, lingering, quite feminine until that Islay smoke kicks in. Comment: A very elaborate malt which enhances Bowmore's association with perfume. Good enough to wear!

kayaker
02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Those look great. A couple of nice picks for someone. :tu

kayaker
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Not really a question, but what a tasting I just had.

First was a special (at least different) bottling of Glen Ord, that was given to Andrew (the host) by his mother, for his 30th B-Day. She used to work at the distillery and he pretty much grew up there.

Then we had some Glenturret from an independent bottler. 13 yo I belive.

Then came the Glenfiddich 18 and 21, and the Glen Garioch 15 and 21.

Next we had Bruichladdich 14 (regular) and Bruichy 14 (aged in French Oak that contained Italian wine).

Finally we finished up with two IBs of Bunnahabain, 15 yrs and 31 yrs.

The store had to close before we got to the 2 Highland Parks (15 yr and an 16 yr IB). :(

In any case, a good time was had by all and it's taken me an hour to write this post because I am a little drunk.

Did I mention the Innis & Gunn and the pint I chugged after the tasting?

Glad I don't have to work in the AM.:D

lightning9191
03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Not really a question, but what a tasting I just had.

First was a special (at least different) bottling of Glen Ord, that was given to Andrew (the host) by his mother, for his 30th B-Day. She used to work at the distillery and he pretty much grew up there.

Then we had some Glenturret from an independent bottler. 13 yo I belive.

Then came the Glenfiddich 18 and 21, and the Glen Garioch 15 and 21.

Next we had Bruichladdich 14 (regular) and Bruichy 14 (aged in French Oak that contained Italian wine).

Finally we finished up with two IBs of Bunnahabain, 15 yrs and 31 yrs.

The store had to close before we got to the 2 Highland Parks (15 yr and an 16 yr IB). :(

In any case, a good time was had by all and it's taken me an hour to write this post because I am a little drunk.

Did I mention the Innis & Gunn and the pint I chugged after the tasting?

Glad I don't have to work in the AM.:D

Wow that is quite the line up! How ya feeling today?

kayaker
03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow that is quite the line up! How ya feeling today?

A little slow today, but not bad considering.

Breakfast and a good cuppa joe will help.

JohnnyFlake
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Okay, just recently got into dark liquor (had a bad experience with bourbon early on). I have been trying and enjoying a few of the irish whiskey offerings because of their slight sweetness. I have been reading a bunch and was told by a good friend a few to try but I want to keep it on the sweeter side. I have heard that Aberlous Abunadh and Glenkinchie were good sweeter scotches to try but would like some more advice. Still do not like harsh dark liquor so smooth and sweet are my main goals. Only drink my Irish with a few rocks and let it melt a bit. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Irish Whiskey I have liked so far: Bushmills, BlackBush, Jamey's and Jamey's 12yo. Irish Whiskey I have not liked so far: Tullamore's dew.

I will also drink the occasional Crown with coke

Here are a few to consider:

Aberlour 12yo Sherry Cask Matured
The Balvenie 10yo Founders Reserve
The Balvenie 12yo Double Wood
Teachers Highland Cream
Cragganmore 12yo
Highland Park 12yo
Highland Park 18yo

Lensjockie
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
The Balvenie 12yo Double Wood
Cragganmore 12yo

I can speak to these and I think both are a solid bodied, full flavor drink the
Double wood is the mellower. I'm all about the mellow.

kayaker
03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
My dad likes scotch, but sticks to what he calls the smoother stuff.

Dalwhinnie, Glenchinkie and Scapa are what he favours. You might also want to try Glen Ord.

Darrell
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I picked this up today after some recommendations.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4491/thedalwhinnie.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thedalwhinnie.jpg)

Any input, Ian? :D

kayaker
03-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Any input, Ian?

:dr:dr:dr:dr:dr

JohnnyFlake
03-09-2009, 09:30 AM

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4491/thedalwhinnie.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thedalwhinnie.jpg)

Any input, Ian? :D

Yummy, Yummy, Lot's of Fruity nuances and hints of Honey!:dr

yourchoice
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Bringing this thread back to the forefront...

After my initial head first dive into the Scotch realm, I leveled off and figured I'd buy a bottle to replace an empty. Having finished off the highly recommended Ardbeg 10yo (thank you for the recommendation gents!), I decided to replace an Islay with an Islay and went with the Laphroaig 10yo. I'm anxious to see what I think of it.

Current Single Malt Inventory (hasn't changed much):
Glenfiddich 12
Laphroaig 10
Talisker 10
Highland Park 12
Bruichladdich "The Rocks"

And kayaker, if you see this, I was pleasantly surprised with the Bruichladdich the last time I had it. Previously I said it was the least favorite of my stock, but after having it again I want to rescind that statement. It may have just been the evening I had it, but I found it almost refreshing, surprisingly so!

lightning9191
04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I decided to replace an Islay with an Islay and went with the Laphroaig 10yo. I'm anxious to see what I think of it.

I like the Laphroaig 10yo....but I found that I definitely need to add some water to it. Bowmore is another good one to try. I prefer it over Laphroaig 10yo. Any try the more aged Laphroaig? Liked them?

kayaker
04-18-2009, 08:36 AM
And kayaker, if you see this, I was pleasantly surprised with the Bruichladdich the last time I had it. Previously I said it was the least favorite of my stock, but after having it again I want to rescind that statement. It may have just been the evening I had it, but I found it almost refreshing, surprisingly so!

Glad you enjoyed it. I find it's always a good idea to give a whisky more than one chance. Our palates can easily change so what tastes good now, may not taste so great later. Or vice-versa.:tu

macpappy
04-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Was at a cigar event last night and they were also providing samples of Glenmorangie scotch. I enjoyed the Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, and all Nector d'Or. These were aged for 10 years in bourbon barrels and then finished for two years in different barrels. The Quinta Ruban has a port finish, the Lasanta has a sherry finish and the Nector d'Or has a sauterne finish.

I also sampled two new scotches from Glenmorangie. The newest is the Astar which is an 18 year old, 100 proof, which is just being introduced in the U.S. (at least that's what we were told) and Glenmorangie Signet. I think he said the Signet was 25 years old but I sort of tuned out when he said, "$179 a bottle." I did find both of these to be exceptional.

wrench turner 85
04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
grate idea for a thread. I love scotch.

AD720
04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
I picked up a bottle of Auchentoshan Single Malt Select last week.

I've had a couple drams so far, some rocks and some neat. It has a sweetness that I really enjoy, more fruity than syrupy with a little honey thrown in. Very little saltiness or medicinal taste.

I am really enjoying it and at around $30 a bottle the price is right. This is a great counter balance to my other go-to cheapie, Bowmore Islay Legend.

wayner123
04-24-2009, 07:14 AM
So I finally went out and picked up some Old Pulteney.

For a $45 bottle of scotch, I was throughly impressed. I got it after the recommendation for a more salty scotch. It has a saltyness to it, but not as much as I would like to see. It had more of a fruit taste. The mouth feel and aftertaste were spot on. If it had a tad more salty or smokey taste, this one could easily beat out Lagavulin or another higher end Scotch. As it is, for $45 you really can't beat it imo.

Savvy
04-24-2009, 07:21 AM
I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 15 to try out some scotch, its ok, I didn't really like it at first, but now being more than halfway through the bottle I believe I've overcome the taste acquisition for scotch. I'll be reading through this thread for suggestions, and posting up what I think of the scotches I try as I go along.

Darrell
04-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I tried some Macallan 12 yesterday, it has a nice not over powering smokey flavor and I also got quite a bit of dark cherry flavor as well. Nothing great, but I might add a bottle to my rotation if I think about it when shopping.

BigCat
04-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I tried some Macallan 12 yesterday, it has a nice not over powering smokey flavor and I also got quite a bit of dark cherry flavor as well. Nothing great, but I might add a bottle to my rotation if I think about it when shopping.

I am really a big fan of the Macallan 12. I think it has some very good flavors. I can see where you are coming from with the dark cherry flavor. I normally associate it with citrus, but I can see that. If you like the Macallan, I'd also recommend you try Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr. At least to my relatively uneducated palate, I find it to taste similarly to the Macallan and it is a few bucks cheaper.

wayner123
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM

Which Macallan 12yr? They have a sherry and oak cast variety.

BigCat
04-27-2009, 03:23 PM
My post referred to the sherry. I've never had the oak.

Savvy
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I just about killed my Glenlivet 15 this week. I'm hooked on scotch now. Went out and bought a bottle of Jura 10. It has a very unique aroma that I can't quite place. Also a unique taste. Quite enjoyable for being as young as it is. I'll have to track down Jura Superstition which I've read about here a bit and see how that is as well.

Darrell
04-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Which Macallan 12yr? They have a sherry and oak cast variety.

Oak cask.

wayner123
04-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Oak cask.

Yeah the sherry cask does not seem to have hardly any smokey taste to it. That's why I asked. I have yet to try the Oak cask, but it's on the list.

On another note to the above poster, Jura is consistantly winning awards for young scotches. They have a 5 year that blows a lot of 20+ yr scotches away.

Savvy
04-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I love my Jura 10. I need to hunt down some Superstition to see how that is in comparison.

Ken
05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Well someone had some Glenlivet 12 at a poker game I was at so I had to give it a try. :tu This will be one of the next bottles I purchase. Not much on peat and this tastes like a great place to start.

lightning9191
05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
I picked up a bottle of Jura yesterday. I haven't tried it yet...maybe later tonight.

Darrell
05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I like Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin 16, Glenrothes, Macallan 12...

Do you think I'd like Balvenie 12?

kayaker
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Mean D.

I'm not overly familiar with the Glenrothes, but if you like the Macallan 12, I think you will enjoy the Balvienie 12. Certainly not identical but I thought they had some similarities in taste profile.

:tu

Darrell
05-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey Mean D.

I'm not overly familiar with the Glenrothes, but if you like the Macallan 12, I think you will enjoy the Balvienie 12. Certainly not identical but I thought they had some similarities in taste profile.

:tu

Thanks Ian, you have not steered me wrong yet. :)

e-man67
05-03-2009, 01:11 PM
The wife surprised me this morning for our 12 year anny with a bottle of Grey Goose vodka (my favorite) and a bottle of Sheep Dip. It is a a blend of 14 dif scotches...having a glass now...very nice...however a little overpowering over the Hoyo churchill I am smoking...I should have had a Tat.

e-man67
05-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I just about killed my Glenlivet 15 this week. I'm hooked on scotch now. Went out and bought a bottle of Jura 10. It has a very unique aroma that I can't quite place. Also a unique taste. Quite enjoyable for being as young as it is. I'll have to track down Jura Superstition which I've read about here a bit and see how that is as well.

That Glenlivet 15 yr is good!!!! :dance:

Darrell
05-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I just picked a bottle of the Doublewood Balvenie 12 yr. I will try some tonight.

ChicagoWhiteSox
05-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Balvenie 17yr Sherry Cask
Talisker 175th Anniversary
Laphroaig Malt 86 10yr

Gary Vaynerchuk does a review on these sms. He's a wine guy but I thought the video was interesting.

http://tv.winelibrary.com/2008/07/25/the-single-malt-scotch-episode-episode-509/

kgoings
06-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Kayaker, Great thread!

Just dove into the Single Malt world with two bottles Macallan 12yr and Glenfiddich 12yr. I defiantly preferred the Macallan, the Glenfiddich I thought had too much burn or bite. I did like the flavors of the Macallan, I had them both neat with a small splash of spring water.

What are some suggestions to try next? I have tasted the Lagavulin 18 yr?? Mithstrike and Extremeblzr gave me some...not so sure I am a big fan of that one REALLY Smokey, maybe too much so for my beginner palate.

Extremeblzr also gave me a bottle of some Colorado Whiskey, Shanahans...VERY good! Hints of cinnamon.

kayaker
06-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Hey Kirk,

Glad you could make it to a new slope. :tu

If you want an nice comparison, pick up a small bottle of Glenlivet. Around here it is always price pointed the same as the Glenfiddich but I like it more.

If the Lagavulin is too much peat and smoke for you, try one of the Islay Malts that have fewer PPMs. Bowmore is a nice balance of smokey along with the richness and sweetness from the Sherry casks. Bruichladdich would also be nice.

If you want to try something that is quite smooth and tasty, try Dalwhinnie, Glenkinchie, or Scapa. If you want something bolder with a hint of peat, try Highkand Park.

Let us know if you pick up something else and what your impressions were.

Smoking Dragon
06-10-2009, 06:29 AM
18 year Glenlivet is my ABSOLUTE favorite scotch. :dr

Sarge

pmwz
06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
i dont have a lot of whisky experience. I have tried an Irish Single Malt cooley 4yrs, a 7 year old Highland Scotch (dont know which) , Springbank 10 + 15. Didnt enjoy the highland as much as the other stuff.
i think about getting a couple of 5cl samples or going to a tasting at a cadenhead's store that is almost right across my street.
can you give me a recommendation for each region (in the sub 50$ range)

kayaker
06-12-2009, 06:29 PM
i dont have a lot of whisky experience. I have tried an Irish Single Malt cooley 4yrs, a 7 year old Highland Scotch (dont know which) , Springbank 10 + 15. Didnt enjoy the highland as much as the other stuff.
i think about getting a couple of 5cl samples or going to a tasting at a cadenhead's store that is almost right across my street.
can you give me a recommendation for each region (in the sub 50$ range)

Going to a tasting would be a great option to try some different whiskies and learn about Scotch in general.

There is a line of single malts called McClellands named for the 4 main regions (Islay, Highland, Speyside, Lowland). Each is a young sample from a distillery in each region. I can't remember what distilleries were used. I think you can even get sampler sized bottles.

I haven't had these, so I don't know what they taste like.

My choices would be Bowmore for Islay, Auchentoshan for Lowland, Highland Park for Highland (though it may test your price limit), and maybe Glenlivet for Speyside. That would be a nice tasting. There maybe nice Speysiders that would fit your budget, but I mostly prefer Islay malts.

Hope this helps and happy dramming.:tu

cricky101
06-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I picked up my first ever bottle of scotch last night - Highland Park 12. I tried a bit last night with a splash of water.

For someone not used to drinking strong alcohol, it definitely will take some getting used to. I could immediately pick out a lot of the flavors described in the thread, though.

I shall soldier on with another glass right now :tu

BrokenSkeg
06-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Single malt scotch is the only hard liquor I'll drink regularly.
Bowmore is too light for me
Laphroaig 10 is very peaty but very aromatic
There is a Laphroaig quarter cask that is available and is excellent also
Glen Morangie is excellent but I prefer the Sherry casked version best
Highland Park is great and the wife likes it as much as I do
Macallan is great also.
If you like cask strength scotch rather than "blended" single malts (as some of the single malts are) try joining the Scoth Single Malt Society.
http://www.smwsa.com/
They aren't cheap. Bottles start at $100. I had one that was 32 years old and 132 proof, casked in sherry oak which was outstanding. It set me back $210. They buy the full barrels from the distillery, bottle it and sell them to the members. Once they're all sold that all there is.

FretSpot
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
This thread is too good to die...

Found this site that looks interesting for those interested in learning more about Scotch:
http://www.maltmadness.com (http://www.maltmadness.com/)

SD Beerman
02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
True. There are so many good scotches out there. Brown liquors are definitely making a comeback. I do like several single malts aged in Sherry, Madera or port casks. I have seen a new wave of Tequilas being aged in sherry and other used barrels. However to me it is still Tequila. If you are new to scotch, either try it with several people with some experience or attend a tasting. Tasting done by a professional will at least teach you terminology and regions where it may be easy to narrow down your likes and dislikes of this noble spirit. Cheers.:2

captain53
02-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Found this site that looks interesting for those interested in learning more about Scotch:

That is an interesting site - Thanks For Sharing.:tu

Malt will never die, fads (tequila, etc) come and go but Scotch is forever in the Man Cave.

Lagavulin Rules - enjoying some now.:ss

GreekGodX
02-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Anyone have any opinions on the Macallan 18yr old?? I was able to try some over New Years, and it was awful :td The price is high and I'd be very disappointed if I had to pay for a whole bottle. The oaky taste was way too over powering and not very smooth for an 18 year old.

I'd much rather have Glenlivet 12 or 18 yr old, Dalwhinnie or Belvinie. Those are my favorites right now. Any other suggestions?

captain53
02-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Anyone have any opinions on the Macallan 18yr old?? I was able to try some over New Years, and it was awful :td The price is high and I'd be very disappointed if I had to pay for a whole bottle. The oaky taste was way too over powering and not very smooth for an 18 year old.

I'd much rather have Glenlivet 12 or 18 yr old, Dalwhinnie or Belvinie. Those are my favorites right now. Any other suggestions?

I am not a Macallan fan myself. Here is a lesser known one that I recently tried and thought was very good for something in the lower Single Malt price range:

http://www.isleofjura.com/index2.cfm

Here is another better known excellent choice for a lower price range Single Malt:

http://www.laphroaig.com/

GreekGodX
02-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I am not a Macallan fan myself. Here is a lesser known one that I recently tried and thought was very good for something in the lower Single Malt price range:

http://www.isleofjura.com/index2.cfm

Here is another better known excellent choice for a lower price range Single Malt:

http://www.laphroaig.com/

See I like 12 year old Macallan a lot more. Not my favorite but I like it. So the 18 y/o really shocked me. I thought I would love it but not the case. My wallet is very happy with my taste buds :r

I'll have to give both your recommendations a shot. I've actually heard of Jura before, but didn't pay it any attention because I never heard of it.

captain53
02-07-2010, 06:23 PM
At first taste the Jura did not do much for me but as I further tasted it I found it pretty good.

BigCat
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
See I like 12 year old Macallan a lot more.

I agree actually. I had the chance to try the 18 year in an airport bar in a state where liquor was a lot cheaper than Michigan. It was about $12 for a shot of the stuff. I was really let down. I thought the 12 was much better. I'd never claim expertise in the field of scotch, but I drink a lot of single malt and know what I like. I wouldn't spend the extra $75 for a bottle of the 18. I'll take the 12. Now glenlivit 18 year is dramatically better than glenlivit 12 in my taste, and the 18 is at least affordable for a nice scotch around here.

spizz
02-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Love Johhnie Blue. My wallet unfortunetly doesn't :(

GreekGodX
02-08-2010, 03:00 AM
I agree actually. I had the chance to try the 18 year in an airport bar in a state where liquor was a lot cheaper than Michigan. It was about $12 for a shot of the stuff. I was really let down. I thought the 12 was much better. I'd never claim expertise in the field of scotch, but I drink a lot of single malt and know what I like. I wouldn't spend the extra $75 for a bottle of the 18. I'll take the 12. Now glenlivit 18 year is dramatically better than glenlivit 12 in my taste, and the 18 is at least affordable for a nice scotch around here.

I agree on the Glenlivet. For the extra money, you are getting a lot more in terms of taste in the 18 y/o.

SD Beerman
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Balvenie doublewood is a great sipping scotch and not too crazy pricey....:ss

kayaker
02-09-2010, 06:37 AM

That site and it's companion sites are great. I use them for reference and a good laugh all the time. :tu

kayaker
02-09-2010, 06:46 AM

None of the Macs are cheap compared to scotches of similar age. Did you have the Fine Oak or the regular version of it? Regular version is aged only in Sherry casks, and the Fine Oak uses Sherry and Bourbon Casks. It's been a while since I've had the regular, but I remember it as being quite good. The Fine Oak 18 was very smooth, but a bit underwhelming for my tastes.

It could have been an off bottle, or you just may not like that style. Try one of the younger versions and see what that's like. You should be able to buy a dram at a decent bar.

I found the Balvenie somewhat similar in style to the Macallan. Glenkintchie, Glen Ord, Arran Island are also quite nice. Actually there are lots of great whiskies. The best part is getting to sample lots and lots to find out what you like.

If you find there's something you don't really like, try it again a year later to see if your tastes have changed. Mine have over the last few years. Your mood and what you've eaten recently can also affect the taste of your dram.

Hope this helps.:tu

Wanger
02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Had some good stuff with a buddy home on leave from Iraq last Friday. Scott's Selection, 1983, bottled in 2004. Haven't been able to find much info on it. It was GOOOD, and paired well with an Opus Petit Lancero. Anyone else tried it, or know anything about it?

silentjon
02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Balvenie doublewood is a great sipping scotch and not too crazy pricey....:ss

One of my favorite Scotchs. :) I always have a bottle behind the bar.

Sanchy
02-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi all, new member here looking to dive back into the world of SMSW. Now, the last bottle I purchased was Laphroaig 10 year old, it came in a white and green container.

And for me it was downright horrendous. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on other scotches that would be similar to this one so I can avoid them, lol.

With that said what recommendations do you guys have for an affordable regular drink and also in the range of $90 USD for more of a special occasions drink. Thanks ahead for any input. :)

silentjon
02-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Hi all, new member here looking to dive back into the world of SMSW. Now, the last bottle I purchased was Laphroaig 10 year old, it came in a white and green container.

And for me it was downright horrendous. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on other scotches that would be similar to this one so I can avoid them, lol.

With that said what recommendations do you guys have for an affordable regular drink and also in the range of $90 USD for more of a special occasions drink. Thanks ahead for any input. :)

Laphroaig is from Islay, whose Scotchs are very peaty. Some other Islay scotchs are Ardberg, Bowmore and Lagavulin.

GreekGodX
02-10-2010, 04:31 AM
None of the Macs are cheap compared to scotches of similar age. Did you have the Fine Oak or the regular version of it? Regular version is aged only in Sherry casks, and the Fine Oak uses Sherry and Bourbon Casks. It's been a while since I've had the regular, but I remember it as being quite good. The Fine Oak 18 was very smooth, but a bit underwhelming for my tastes.

It could have been an off bottle, or you just may not like that style. Try one of the younger versions and see what that's like. You should be able to buy a dram at a decent bar.

I found the Balvenie somewhat similar in style to the Macallan. Glenkintchie, Glen Ord, Arran Island are also quite nice. Actually there are lots of great whiskies. The best part is getting to sample lots and lots to find out what you like.

If you find there's something you don't really like, try it again a year later to see if your tastes have changed. Mine have over the last few years. Your mood and what you've eaten recently can also affect the taste of your dram.

Hope this helps.:tu

It was the Fine Oak. I'll give it a shot again in the future. It is good to know some of the stuff to look for as for me it's intimidating staring at all the bottles of scotch with some of the price tags.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep checkin in here :tu

kayaker
02-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Had some good stuff with a buddy home on leave from Iraq last Friday. Scott's Selection, 1983, bottled in 2004. Haven't been able to find much info on it. It was GOOOD, and paired well with an Opus Petit Lancero. Anyone else tried it, or know anything about it?

Scott's Selection is an Independent Bottler. That means they buy casks of scotch from different distilleries and age and/or bottle the stuff a bit differently than the original distillery.

The distillery name should have been on the bottle somewhere which is the main vital info you need. With the distillery name you can then compare how the the IB presented the scotch versus the Original Bottling. I.e. did they use different casks to age or finish the whisky? Different age? Different ABV? Hopefully the bottle is still around to get that info.

Good luck.:tu

Tripp
02-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I generally go for Islays, but decided to try a Speyside the other day, and picked up a cheapo bottle of Lismore Single Malt, which I did not care for. Anyone know if Lismore is on par or close to other Speysides? To my palate, it had an overpowering sherry flavor, almost like it'd been mixed with sherry.

To make up for the bad scotch, I picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12, one of my all time favorites.

kayaker
02-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I generally go for Islays, but decided to try a Speyside the other day, and picked up a cheapo bottle of Lismore Single Malt, which I did not care for. Anyone know if Lismore is on par or close to other Speysides? To my palate, it had an overpowering sherry flavor, almost like it'd been mixed with sherry.

To make up for the bad scotch, I picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12, one of my all time favorites.

Bowmore is a big favourite of mine. Haven't had Lismore. How much do you want to spend on a Speyside malt?

Speyside has a LOT of distilleries so there can be very big differences in distillery characteristics. I'll see if I can recommend something tasty in your price range.

Tripp
02-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Bowmore is a big favourite of mine. Haven't had Lismore. How much do you want to spend on a Speyside malt?

Speyside has a LOT of distilleries so there can be very big differences in distillery characteristics. I'll see if I can recommend something tasty in your price range.

I usually try to stay under $40 a bottle, but a little over is ok.

spectrrr
02-13-2010, 02:35 PM

I just sniffed (and sipped) a bottle of Tamdhu I had kicking around. based on your description above of what you didn't like, I would NOT get the Tamdhu (smells/tastes like sherry) :2

yourchoice
03-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Reviving thread....

What can anyone tell me about Murray McDavid? My local store has a wide selection, but I've shied away. Any general information or thoughts of their products?

kayaker
03-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Reviving thread....

What can anyone tell me about Murray McDavid? My local store has a wide selection, but I've shied away. Any general information or thoughts of their products?

This is the Independent Bottling division of Bruichladdich. They (like other IBs) buy casks of new make whisky from other distilleries and age it how they see fit.

Like their own house malt, the Murray McDavid offereings are non-chillfiltered and non-caramelized.

I've had a few of these bottlings and enjoyed them. Your best approach to these may to see if they have a bottling of something you already like.

Hope this helps.

Pete
04-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Interesting read. Your experiences may differ.

Scotch ratings (http://www.countryclubuk.com/ci/ci74_whisky.pdf)

yourchoice
04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
This is the Independent Bottling division of Bruichladdich. They (like other IBs) buy casks of new make whisky from other distilleries and age it how they see fit.

Like their own house malt, the Murray McDavid offereings are non-chillfiltered and non-caramelized.

I've had a few of these bottlings and enjoyed them. Your best approach to these may to see if they have a bottling of something you already like.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I think I may make a Murray McDavid bottle my next purchase. Has anyone had any that are on the peaty side? Otherwise I would just pick something from an Islay distillery that I know I like.

spectrrr
04-08-2010, 02:34 PM

very interesting....

wolfandwhisky
04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I may make a Murray McDavid bottle my next purchase. Has anyone had any that are on the peaty side? Otherwise I would just pick something from an Islay distillery that I know I like.

The whisky in the bottle will be from other distilleries, so you may find a M&M bottle of Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Bowmore, etc. In fact, I think I just had a 40yo Bowmore that was an M&M bottle... but it may have been Ducan Taylor... can't remember.

So any Islay distillery is fine - it will be their whisky in an M&M bottle.

HTH...

wolfandwhisky
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks for sharing... I've always been a fan of Michael Jackson's notes as opposed to Jim's. Did it say who the other two tasters were? I missed it.

Not sure I agree entirely with the list, well, not really at all. But that is part of the fun of whisky and notes.

WyoBob
04-09-2010, 05:49 PM

My first bottle of Scotch was Laphroaig 10 year. The initial taste reminded me of the stuff my dentist used to use to deaden an injection site. After a few more sips, the taste mostly went away and I kind of liked it. My father-in-law mentioned he liked Scotch so I gave the mostly full bottle to him.

Weeks later, I was talking to a friend who runs an art shop/cigar/pipe store here about Scotch and he invited me in on a Fri. afternoon to sample some of his collection. My favorite was Balvinie double wood. (Can't remember the other two. I have it written down someplace. I also had my wife drop me off and pick me up.) So, I bought the Balvinie and really enjoyed it. My wife just went to Nebraska and I sent the Balvinie along and had my wife tell my f-i-l if he liked it better to send the Laphroaig back with my wife. So, I've got the Laphroaig to sip on for awhile. He much preferred the Balvinie.

The shop is sponsoring a BBQ/smoker/Scotch tasting April 25th. It includes a BBQ supper, two cigars, a cutter and two drinks out of big selection of Scotch for $40.00. You bet I'm going to that!

WyoBob

kayaker
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
The shop is sponsoring a BBQ/smoker/Scotch tasting April 25th. It includes a BBQ supper, two cigars, a cutter and two drinks out of big selection of Scotch for $40.00. You bet I'm going to that!

That sounds great.:dr

forgop
01-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Tried scotch for the first time last night-it was Singleton 12 year. Anyone really like/dislike this compared to other scotches? I thought it was pretty good for my first time.

Starscream
04-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Tried scotch for the first time last night-it was Singleton 12 year. Anyone really like/dislike this compared to other scotches? I thought it was pretty good for my first time.

I bought my first bottle of scotch last night. Johnnie Walker Red Label. Before you get all "that stuff sucks" on me, I thought it was a good introduction to scotch blends. Pretty sweet and not much burn. Now I'm ready to move on to JW Black label and others. I thought it was a good intro to scotch. Drank it neat, and once again with a 1/4 tsp. of water. Better with the water.

Bill86
04-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I bought my first bottle of scotch last night. Johnnie Walker Red Label. Before you get all "that stuff sucks" on me, I thought it was a good introduction to scotch blends. Pretty sweet and not much burn. Now I'm ready to move on to JW Black label and others. I thought it was a good intro to scotch. Drank it neat, and once again with a 1/4 tsp. of water. Better with the water.

Ain't nothing wrong with Red Label. I actually prefer the red over the black :sh

I would skip the black and go with green. I haven't had gold, swing or blue yet though. Too pricey IMO.

Starscream
04-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with Red Label. I actually prefer the red over the black :sh

I would skip the black and go with green. I haven't had gold, swing or blue yet though. Too pricey IMO.

The bottle of Blue was over $200 at my store. I'm never gonna try that one.:D

Bill86
04-23-2011, 06:40 PM
The bottle of Blue was over $200 at my store. I'm never gonna try that one.:D

Yeah it's $220-$230 here. No thanks

Green cost me like $55 wasn't too bad.

Gold's nearly or right at $100

Red, Black, Green was as far as I went. I've only seen Swing a few times and it's $60-$70

w squared
04-30-2011, 09:29 PM

I'm not a blend kinda guy...but if you enjoyed it, and enjoyed it more with a wee bit of water, then you're on the right road. Try different bottles, share them with friends...because they always taste better when you share them.

smokepuff
05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I thought I would my palette on this Scotch slope.
I purchased a bottle of Ballantine's Blended Scotch Whiskey, thought I tried blended before buying a single malt.
Does scotch need to allow to breathe before drinking, if so what are the benefits?

GreekGodX
05-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Anyone try the Double Black label? If so how do you think it compares to the regular Black label? I picked up a bottle of the Double Black at duty free and am looking forward to trying it.

As far as the JW Blue, if you have the opportunity to try it, do so. However I found that the Gold is much better :2

jayro75
05-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Anyone try the Double Black label? If so how do you think it compares to the regular Black label? I picked up a bottle of the Double Black at duty free and am looking forward to trying it.

As far as the JW Blue, if you have the opportunity to try it, do so. However I found that the Gold is much better :2

Haven't tried the Double Black although I keep meaning to pick it up in my travels. According to a press release I read awhile ago it's supposed to be a smokier, peatier version of Black label. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you try it.

Stick
05-16-2011, 09:27 AM
New beer store/ whiskey bar opened near me. Had some Aberlour A'bunadh which was damn tasty.

Here's their whiskey menu:
http://www.lizardville.net/?q=whiskey

Apoco
05-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Seconded - gold is the best out of the JW line imo
Posted via Mobile Device

simplechords
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I've never tried scotch. When it come to liqour I current really only drink Gin and vodka. The only whiskey that I've ever had is Makers Mark. What would you recommend to me to start with? I'd probably want to stay in the cheaper end of things. And then what would be the best way to drink what you recommend.

76GTFan
05-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I've never tried scotch. When it come to liqour I current really only drink Gin and vodka. The only whiskey that I've ever had is Makers Mark. What would you recommend to me to start with? I'd probably want to stay in the cheaper end of things. And then what would be the best way to drink what you recommend.

I am not an expert, but I have tried quite a few and they were all pretty cheap. Here are a few to get started. And please no barking at my list.:sl

Inver House
Ballentines
McLallen's
Johnny Walker Black
Glenlivet 12yr

Most Scotch is relatively pricey, compared to other spirits. One of the reasons I haven't dove in head first with scotch.