PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Shape

JJKJR
08-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Is there any reason or benefit that a person would smoke a torpedo vs. a Robusto (rounded end) shaped cigar? Is it the cigar roller's decision based on a particular tobacco leaf or is it how they feel the cigar should be smoked? The reason I ask is I have both types and personally see no difference in the smoke, other than cutting the cigar.

OLS
08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
That's the benefit. Cutting the cigar. How often have you chomped on a robusto or fatter cigar and looked in
the mirror and seen how stupid it can make you look? That's a lot of cigar butt in there. With a figurado,
often you can smoke a giant ring gauge and only have to hold the equivalent of a petit corona or even a panatela
in your mouth. It focuses all the intensity of a 4-8 leaf blend into the a hole the size of a pencil.

Mattso3000
08-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Also, torpedo shape helps concentrate the flavors into a smaller opening, almost like a funnel. Allows you to customize draw a little easier by how much you cut as well.

Emjaysmash
08-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Torpedos allow you to use the "Dickman" cut, and then let you giggle about the name with all your friends. :ss

Mattso3000
08-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Torpedos allow you to use the "Dickman" cut, and then let you giggle about the name with all your friends. :ss

:r:r

timj219
08-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Torpedo is great for yard work. Easier to hold in the teeth.

Skywalker
08-17-2011, 09:09 AM
I like this thread!!!:D

wayner123
08-17-2011, 09:29 AM
That's the benefit. Cutting the cigar. How often have you chomped on a robusto or fatter cigar and looked in
the mirror and seen how stupid it can make you look? That's a lot of cigar butt in there. With a figurado,
often you can smoke a giant ring gauge and only have to hold the equivalent of a petit corona or even a panatela
in your mouth. It focuses all the intensity of a 4-8 leaf blend into the a hole the size of a pencil.

A hole punch will accomplish the same thing.

IMO, it's about marketing. That and it might save a step in production.

Doctorossi
08-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Let's not forget the value of visual aesthetic for its own sake. Different cigar shapes look cool in different ways and it's fun to enjoy a variety of formats, just to mix it up.

Subvet642
08-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Let's not forget the value of visual aesthetic for its own sake. Different cigar shapes look cool in different ways and it's fun to enjoy a variety of formats, just to mix it up.

I'm with the Doc on this one. Just like with food; they say that you eat first with your eyes.

kelmac07
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
What the hell is a "Dickman Cut"??? Sounds like it hurts. :r :r

DaBear
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM
People also claim that torpedos/figurados are "better quality" seeing as companies have to use their better rollers to roll those two shapes as they are much harder to roll without inconsistencies than a traditional shap

N2 GOLD
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM

I that anything like the "Dickman" kick??? :gary

Doctorossi
08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
People also claim that torpedos/figurados are "better quality" seeing as companies have to use their better rollers to roll those two shapes as they are much harder to roll without inconsistencies than a traditional shap

That is, assuming the 'better roller' and the 'more difficult shape to roll' don't effectively cancel each other out.

DaBear
08-17-2011, 11:05 AM
That is, assuming the 'better roller' and the 'more difficult shape to roll' don't effectively cancel each other out.

I'm not one of said people, I only discriminate on size by time constraint, if none then I'll grab a toro as they just feel the best in my hand.

irratebass
08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm not one of said people, I only discriminate on size by time constraint, if none then I'll grab a toro as they just feel the best in my hand.

That's what she said......sorry couldn't resist.

RevSmoke
08-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Torpedo is great for yard work. Easier to hold in the teeth.

Actually, I have a friend who would argue this point with you, that it is the torpedo which is harder to hold - that the shape intensifies the possiblity that the cigar may shoot out of your mouth because it is so tapered. In fact, not learning his lesson the first time (torpedo shooting out of his mouth and into the stream where we were fishing) that he tried it a second time (ony a couple hours later) with the same results.

I had all I could do not to say, "Torpedos, according to their name, have an affinity toward water, so you must smoke far on land."

Anyway, just some comic thoughts at the expense of a friend who cannot keep a shaped cigar in his mouth while near water.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Ogre
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
What the hell is a "Dickman Cut"??? Sounds like it hurts. :r :r

Its like "circumcising" your cigar, just snip the tip!!!!

Now to the original post. I think its all personal choice. I dont notice any flavor differences in taste. Is it worth the cost??? Thats what you have to ask.

JJKJR
08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Great information. Thanks. When you say just "snip the tip," do you do so straight like a non torpedo cigar or more like a bevel cut. This is not a joke question, I really don't know now, based on what I learned today. In the past, I cut it straight up and down just like the other cigars. Is that correct?

Emjaysmash
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Many enjoy both. The bevel cut is what I alluded to as the "Dickman Cut". I dont care which way I cut as I have found no difference in flavor between the two.

Ogre
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
I usually do a straight cut, but have seen the V-Cut used on torpedoes. Just experiment and find what works for you.

alfredo_buscatti
08-17-2011, 06:35 PM
If it's a flat-ended cigar, I will often punch it, if the end is large enough. I've cracked the wrapper on cigars with a smaller ring gauge.

But I often find that a punch doesn't give me a sufficient draw; by sufficient I mean anything other than a difficult draw, which if I can't correct becomes a reject. If the punch doesn't work then I turn around and cut it. But when I do so, on all cigars, whether I've tried the punch or not, I use a "nick" cut, which only takes off the cap with no tobacco. I do this as, although an extreme example, anything I can do to maintain the cap's integrity, I'll do. A ruined cap is more or less a ruined cigar.

I've become conscious of eyeing the cap to see how far it extends before I do anything.

SteelCityBoy
10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I find that torpedos tend to squirt out of your mouth too easily (especially when you are drinking too much alchohol). But, I will definately say that my favorite torpedo out there right now that I have tried is the Diesel Unholdy Cocktail. Absolutely Delicious....and at a great price too!!