PDA

View Full Version : What influences your purchase of a new stick? (poll)

muhren
08-16-2011, 11:03 AM
I was just thinking of this with all the new releases...

What influences your purchase decision when it's a stick you haven't tried yet?

Obviously the assumption here is that you've not tried them

I'm asking which is the MOST influential.

M

76GTFan
08-16-2011, 11:08 AM
I wish I could pick more than one. Forum reviews and history with the brand are my top two, but sometimes I just trust a random recommendation. I hate the Cain line, but decided to try the Daytona on a B&M recommendation. And I thought it was a very good cigar.

massphatness
08-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I selected "trusted forum-user reviews" but it's not so much the reviews I read online, but rather discussions of new cigars among the guys I herf with or interact with online. They may not be reviews in the truest sense of the word, but I can relate to their experiences better as I have a feel for how their palettes may (or may not) be similar to mine.

irratebass
08-16-2011, 11:12 AM
What Vin said, def.

Stephen
08-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I wish I could pick more than one. Forum reviews and history with the brand are my top two
:tpd:

Bill86
Pretty much what Vin said, there's a few people I know who have a similar palette. If they give it a :tu I'll certainly try one-5 or maybe a box, depending on price.

Every now and then I'll dip into the youtube videos if I cannot find it here. More than once have they saved me from a crappy box.

Ashcan Bill
There are guys whose reviews I trust, and with similar tastes to my own, that I give the most credence to.

muhren
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Word. I was thinking forum reviews as well but selected "my own history".

Having been around long enough, you start to notice folks who seem to enjoy what you like (similar pallets) and can use them as sort of guinea pigs/guides to the news sticks.

Nice input so far guys! :tu

M

CigarNut
08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I selected "trusted forum-user reviews" but it's not so much the reviews I read online, but rather discussions of new cigars among the guys I herf with or interact with online. They may not be reviews in the truest sense of the word, but I can relate to their experiences better as I have a feel for how their palettes may (or may not) be similar to mine.:tu

I did not select an option -- you need one that says "friend/BOTL recommendations".

irratebass
08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Pretty much what Vin said, there's a few people I know who have a similar palette. If they give it a :tu I'll certainly try one-5 or maybe a box, depending on price.

Every now and then I'll dip into the youtube videos if I cannot find it here. More than once have they saved me from a crappy box.

One more reason to love Youtube, I will have to do this more often.:tu

Blak Smyth
08-16-2011, 11:26 AM
I wish I could pick more than one.
This!!!

I have to admit advertising does peak my interests, a label I have never heard of but looks attractive grabs my eye. A fellow BOTL recomendation. I have had bad luck with B&M owners and Sales Reps, I beleive I have just not been to a good one.
Now I just see a Maduro and my mouth starts watering doesn't mater who makes it!
I have purchased Tatuajes and Illusiones just because of you CA BOTLs!

Bill86
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
One more reason to love Youtube, I will have to do this more often.:tu

There can be some good videos, but some are purely AWFUL. You'll figure that one out :D

Everyone has their own opinion though.

thechrisdotcom
08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I went with best value/price of the stick. I like to find cigars that won't break the bank but still taste awesome for a good price.

Brickhouse for example. And the new Loyal from Torano will be a good one too, about 4.50 a stick.

kelmac07
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Past experience from the brand seems to drive me back.

BC-Axeman
08-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I wish I could have picked more than one answer.
How about "Someone gave me one and I liked it". Got me a few times.

bobarian
08-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I like fancy bands. :banger

Emjaysmash
08-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Hype. If its being talked about, I'm more likely to try it.

RevSmoke
08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
What friends of mine (whose palate in comparison to mine is a known entity) say about a cigar is the first thing.

My own experience with a maker is the second thing.

Ogre
08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I selected "trusted forum-user reviews" but it's not so much the reviews I read online, but rather discussions of new cigars among the guys I herf with or interact with online. They may not be reviews in the truest sense of the word, but I can relate to their experiences better as I have a feel for how their palettes may (or may not) be similar to mine.

:tpd: what he said!!!

Skywalker
08-16-2011, 02:51 PM

I'm with Vin on this one!:tu

dvickery
08-16-2011, 03:42 PM
couldnt vote as by biggest reason for buying a cigar i have never tried is...

ring...the closer to 42rg the better chance i will buy a new cigar.

length...the closer to 5 1/8 inch the better chance i will buy a new cigar.

reviews...pffft...you may love churchills/pyramids/robustos but i dont...i trust my own intuition.

derrek :hm

Cenookie
08-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I tend to base my decisions on fellow BOTL reviews as they have nothing to gain by saying whether a certain stick is worth trying. I never go by ads or sales reps.

Starscream
08-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I wish I could pick more than one. Forum reviews and history with the brand are my top two, but sometimes I just trust a random recommendation. I hate the Cain line, but decided to try the Daytona on a B&M recommendation. And I thought it was a very good cigar.
Agreed. We need multiple options for this poll.

The Poet
08-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I went with best value/price of the stick.

:tpd:

With my budget, or lack of same, this perforce is my primary concern.

DaBear
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
I selected prior history, but really thats only a deciding factor if the cigar is borderline worth it. Generally if it looks/smells good I'll try it. I tend to be rather adventurous though

Aporschaguy
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm with 76GTFAN I wish I could pick more than 1. 1st my history with the marca 2nd Limited availability all was makes me want to try 1. 3rd a good forum review.

CigarSquid
08-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I wish, as well, I could pick more than one.

I look at the reviews from the site it self. I read up on forums.. I try to see if I have had any from them before and also what kind of deal am I getting.

maverickdrinker
08-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

shilala
08-16-2011, 07:08 PM
I think what first gets my interest is brand loyalty, then I'll ask my buds and see if anyone gave the latest and greatest whatever a shot.
Lots of times I'll cut right to the chase and ask a particular brother
what they think about the cigar I'm considering, because I know so much about what he likes that I know he'll be thinking the same way I would.
That's one of the best parts of sharing cigars with so many brothers. I know I've said this to Todd (revsmoke) before. It makes lots of sense for me to introduce others to things I like so that I can ultimately know what they like, and I can go back and use their brain when mine hasn't been somewhere yet. Plus I can't possibly smoke everything I want, and when he tells me what he thinks, I just plain understand.
So it's BOTL recommendation, but more like specific BOTL recommendation, and when I look for that recommendation, it's with laser-guided precision.

fritz43096
08-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I read the reviews here and other places as well. I really enjoy seeing reviews from different people on the same cigar. I watch for reviews on cigars I have smoked and hope for a review from the same person on something I haven't smoked.