PDA

View Full Version : Marzen's

ChicagoWhiteSox
08-16-2011, 09:04 AM
It's getting close to that time again. German lagers in general are underrated beers IMO, and I really like a good Marzen/Oktoberfest. I know people drink a lot of SA Octoberfest, but there are better ones to be had. With the cold, crisp nights just around the corner, what Marzen's are you looking forward to again? Me, I like the stuff from Germany, Ayinger and Spaten.

pektel
08-16-2011, 09:07 AM
I've always enjoyed Paulaner. Used to buy it long before I was 21. Still enjoy it now.

Doctorossi
08-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I've always enjoyed Paulaner.

:tpd:

kaisersozei
08-16-2011, 09:52 AM
My wife's not a big beer drinker, but she does enjoy the Spaten. I prefer Paulaner. The only American marzen that I really like is Avery's The Kaiser. (go figure...;) ) Other than that, I haven't found many craft brewed marzens that are remarkable, and I'm not a big fan of SA's. :sh

b0rderman
08-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I love Marzens, my favorite session style...Last year was the first year I really started doing some more serious tastings with them, rather than just gulping, and I found that I like the Paulaner best, if I had to pick. Really, I haven't met a German Marzen that I did not like and I agree with many that the domestic offerings don't stack up, as is often the case with other classic German styles...but none of this will stop me from trying them all again this fall!

Happy Marzening

ChicagoWhiteSox
08-16-2011, 10:28 AM
I can't remember if I've ever had Paulaner's Oktoberfest. I'm going to have to give that a go for sure.

Doctorossi
08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I can't remember if I've ever had Paulaner's Oktoberfest. I'm going to have to give that a go for sure.

In bottle, Paulaner sells an Oktoberfest and an Oktoberfest-Marzen. The Oktoberfest is quite good, but the Oktoberfest-Marzen is a world-beater. :tu

ChicagoWhiteSox
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
In bottle, Paulaner sells an Oktoberfest and an Oktoberfest-Marzen. The Oktoberfest is quite good, but the Oktoberfest-Marzen is a world-beater. :tu

I'll look for the Oktoberfest-Marzen.

Mini kegs of German Marzens are awesome too:tu

b0rderman
08-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Oktoberfest-Marzen is definitely the one to get!

Mini kegs, massive mugs :banger

Killian
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Ayinger is probably tops on my list. As far as domestics go, I just had the Shiner version on Sat and it was pretty good.

ChicagoWhiteSox
08-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Has anyone sampled Capital Brewing's Oktoberfest? Capital makes some decent German style lagers, so maybe this one is good too.

boom
09-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Gordon Biersch has a great Marzen....

pnoon
09-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Gordon Biersch has a great Marzen....

It's pretty good. And just a stone's throw from where I work.

chippewastud79
09-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Hofbrauhaus Oktoberfest, straight from the tap. Can't wait to get down there with a giant mug and dance on some tables. :tu

kaisersozei
09-06-2011, 10:41 AM
My wife's not a big beer drinker, but she does enjoy the Spaten. I prefer Paulaner. The only American marzen that I really like is Avery's The Kaiser. (go figure...;) ) Other than that, I haven't found many craft brewed marzens that are remarkable, and I'm not a big fan of SA's. :sh

Correction, I forgot about another of my favorites: Bell's Octoberfest is freakin' awesome!

cobra03
09-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I've always enjoyed Paulaner. Used to buy it long before I was 21. Still enjoy it now.

:tpd: love me some Paulaner. one of my favorite all time beers. :dr

Mikes
09-16-2011, 07:06 AM
If you can believe this my local liquor store is blowing out cases of Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzen for 9.99$!!!! I bought 2 ;o)

I have been trying to figure out which Marzen style production kegs to put in the kegerator this year. Tried bottles of shiner, real ale, brooklyn, paulaner, spaten, widmiers, and a few others and found the little Texas brewery , Real Ale, puts out ...for my tates the boldest Marzen and comes in a 1/4b. Easiest to drink was brooklyns (1/6b) example of this style followed my shiners (1/4b) offering.

So gonna start with the 1/6b of Brooklyn and go to the Real Ale version in about 2 weeks when this keg floats.

BeerAdvocate
09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
I picked up some Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzen today along with some Schlafly Pumpkin Ale

gator_79
09-22-2011, 11:21 AM

I've been drinking the Paulaner Octoberfest. It's a pretty good beer. I usually prefer something darker but this is good.

cobra03
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I picked up some Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzen today along with some Schlafly Pumpkin Ale

Im jealous none of the stores around here have the Paulaner in bottles yet. Just the large oil can with the stein which is cool but i already have one.

gator_79
09-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Paulaner Octoberfest-Marzen is what I've been drinking lately.

BeerAdvocate
09-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Paulaner Octoberfest-Marzen is what I've been drinking lately.

:tu:chr Me too

68TriShield
09-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Had some Flying Dog Marzen last night,delicious stuff.

yourchoice
09-24-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm generally not a big fan of Marzen's, but Victory's Festbier is good.

shark
09-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I liked the one bottle of Ayinger that I had. Went back to the store a couple of weeks later, and didn't see any. Also the Spaten Oktoberfest this year was very too, IMO. Gotta go back to Merchant's and ask them if they have any Ayinger left...I'll spend the twenty plus bucks for six bottles...