PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Divers

WittyUserName
08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Any of the other inmates here divers? I got certified about 6 months ago at the beginning of my rotation down here and I figured I would share some pictures and stories.

Diving is one of the most popular recreational activities on the island and for those that have never had the chance to do it I encourage you to give it a try.

Here are a couple pictures from my dives this weekend.

My dive partner right after he got a lion fish. He was stung on the ankle while swimming through a cave a month ago and he finally for revenge.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/6047374141_be461a728c_b.jpg

This is a close up of the fish. They are an invasive species that kills the local wildlife as well as the coral reef. People are encouraged to kill on sight, and they taste GREAT!!
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6191/6047379515_0e97b77465_b.jpg

I found this little crab hiding out in some sponge.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6047920080_9317fc9c75_b.jpg

WittyUserName
08-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I found a broken bottle and decided to try and shank somebody.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6198/6046963911_cefb24e0ed_b.jpg

Ogre
08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Looks like your having fun!! I have been a diver for 15 years

kelmac07
08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Looks like your having fun!! I have been a diver for 15 years

Great pics Adam, thanks for sharing. And Larry...muff diving doesn't count. :r :r

Ogre
08-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Great pics Adam, thanks for sharing. And Larry...muff diving doesn't count. :r :r

Then I have 20+ years experience!!!

Drez
08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Cool pics. Been trying to get me cert so I can go lobster fishing.

GodOfFire
08-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I hate to sound stupid but what does lobster fishing have to do with Diving?

Aporschaguy
08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I love diving it's great. My buddy is a certified diver I'm not though I wish I was. We went on a ship dive in July in Cartagena Coombia. It was awesome...

Drez
08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I hate to sound stupid but what does lobster fishing have to do with Diving?

to catch lobster down here in miami and the keys its a royal pain to freedive 10+ ft over and over.

lobsters are caught by hand (well net and tickle stick) so its easier to just dive in 15 ft of water then try to freedive it..

Aporschaguy
08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
to catch lobster down here in miami and the keys its a royal pain to freedive 10+ ft over and over.

lobsters are caught by hand (well net and tickle stick) so its easier to just dive in 15 ft of water then try to freedive it..

When I lived in the keys we use to catch lobsters. It was a great time. At the end of the day we took them to the bar I worked at (Hog Heaven) and the cook would do them up boiled, grilled, blackened.... Man I miss that... ;) you guys have it good in Florida.

Aporschaguy
08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
This is my buddy and I in Cartagena. http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l569/1971911e/8c5d6f79.jpg

WittyUserName
08-16-2011, 05:53 AM
FRANK, you live in a diving haven, get certified.

Great Picture Adam!!

Lobsters are a ton of fun to go after down there and we are not limited like they are in the keys. They are pretty hard to find unless you are on a night dive. Most of the time I am the picture taker, but we do use slings to catch fish as well as spear guns.

On Sunday a group of my friends were diving on the leeward side and while loading a gun it miss fired and shot my friend Lauryn through her bicep. She had to have surgery but is going to be fine once it heals.

This really made me take a step back and realize that spear guns are just like real guns and need to be treated as so. I am guilty of not paying any attention to the people around me with guns.

Kneo
08-16-2011, 07:21 AM
I have my cert. I love to dive but don't get to do it much since I live in Iowa. I have not got the chance to do ocean diving but I have done some cool quarry dives include one where they sank a Boeing 757 from the movie US Marshalls.

I have dived in the Epcot tanks a few times too.

Apoco
08-16-2011, 07:24 AM
I am certified...but there isn't much diving around TN :(

I spent a week in Key West with the boy scouts diving. Was a GREAT week. Really hope to have that chance again :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

sheeper
08-16-2011, 07:47 AM
i'm certified. And living here on the Florida east coast we dive a lot. I'm usually out once or twice a week depending on the work/travel schedule.

We'll go out early....do a one tank dive....maybe hunt lobster and be back in the home office at work by 0930.

DPD6030
08-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm certified open water. I've never dove here in MI. I prefer the warm Caribbean waters.

WittyUserName
08-16-2011, 08:54 AM
I have dived in the Epcot tanks a few times too.

You can dive Epcot?

I am certified...but there isn't much diving around TN :(Posted via Mobile Device

When I leave here I will be going back to VA and I was thinking the same thing. You will be surprised where you can dive; quarries and lakes. There a a punch in VA, PA and WVA. I am sure there are some down in TN.

i'm certified. And living here on the Florida east coast we dive a lot. I'm usually out once or twice a week depending on the work/travel schedule.

We'll go out early....do a one tank dive....maybe hunt lobster and be back in the home office at work by 0930.

Man, that is awesome. I am going to go through withdraws when I have to leave here.

I'm certified open water. I've never dove here in MI. I prefer the warm Caribbean waters.

Yeah MI might be a little cold. I have a friend from Duluth MN and he wants to go diving up there. It is supposed to be beautiful, just have to price out dry suits.

Apoco
08-16-2011, 09:08 AM
When I leave here I will be going back to VA and I was thinking the same thing. You will be surprised where you can dive; quarries and lakes. There a a punch in VA, PA and WVA. I am sure there are some down in TN.

Oh we have plenty of lakes in the area. The issue being that I have been told all of them are VERY murky and really are practically useless to dive in.

There's quarries within an hour or 2 of here. I dove in one of them for my certification, actually. It was pretty cool because of the amount of stuff they had submerged (an old firetruck, a missle carrying semi truck, etc.), but I'd imagine it would still get pretty old.

Maybe I'm just making excuses. I dunno. I need to go home and see if I can find my PADI folder...
Posted via Mobile Device

Blak Smyth
08-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Awesome pics, keep them coming.

WittyUserName
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
There's quarries within an hour or 2 of here. I dove in one of them for my certification, actually. It was pretty cool because of the amount of stuff they had submerged (an old firetruck, a missle carrying semi truck, etc.), but I'd imagine it would still get pretty old.

Maybe I'm just making excuses. I dunno. I need to go home and see if I can find my PADI folder...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I they sink a lot of cool stuff in the quarries. Go find that folder and plan a trip.

Awesome pics, keep them coming.

Thanks, I have a ton more, I will have to pick a few to post up. I have some of a fully intact S2 Viking navy plane from my Deep Dive course. :tu

stinkie
08-16-2011, 12:33 PM
i was one of those diver people for many years. but life got in the way. original cert.76. instructors cert 82. stopped 90. will have post pics.

stinkie-(P

WittyUserName
08-16-2011, 12:36 PM
i was one of those diver people for many years. but life got in the way. original cert.76. instructors cert 82. stopped 90. will have post pics.

stinkie-(P

Please do post some pictures, I would love to see them.

I am debating if I want to go Divemaster. This would be the best place to do it, I could be done in 8 weeks if not sooner. I just don't want to be THAT divemaster with less than 100 dives, haha. Noe much cred.

shilala
08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I got my certs a few years ago. I haven't been in the water for what seems like forever, but there's not many a day go by that I don't think about it. If there's a place on earth that I was meant to be, it's right down there where the gulf meets the atlantic. I'm completely convinced God created it specifically for me. ;)
I always worry that someday I'll wake up, pack a bag and that'll be that. I always did tend to get a bit walky, but that's kinda simmered down as I get older. Fortunately I have a good woman who keeps my feet stuck, and she understands how I miss it. She's promised she's going with me when the time comes.
I grew up on the water between cape cod and a lake in PA, and it's really tough not to be near it.

sheeper
08-16-2011, 05:11 PM
we're diving thursday morning. hit the water at 7am. gonna hunt some lobsters

WittyUserName
08-16-2011, 06:42 PM
we're diving thursday morning. hit the water at 7am. gonna hunt some lobsters

Nice, I hope it is a good one. I just got home from our boat dive this afternoon. The tide was heading out of the bay and the Vis was crappy. I have 4 dives lined up for tomorrow as long as I don't run out of bottom time. Two boat dives at 0930 then get the tanks jammed and head out in the afternoon. :banger:banger

bigpedunn
08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Had my cert for 8 years but it a long way to the ocean from nebraska.

GoatLocker
08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Been certified since 1988 and logged over 1000 dives in my first 8 years. Would have been more if not for those pesky deployments. Of course living in Guam and Hawaii during those 8 years made it pretty easy. Only a few dozen since then and none in over 18 months. I have got to start getting wet again soon, or quit claiming to be a diver...

sheeper
08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
3' viz on this morning's dive. sucked. found the bottom by bumping into it.
as my partner today was inexperienced (not my regular dive buddy), we called it quits fairly quickly.

oh well....I'll dive again over the weekend if things clear up here

justonemorestick
08-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I am certified through rescue diver and will dive in a mud puddle if given the chance.

WittyUserName
08-18-2011, 04:46 PM
I am certified through rescue diver and will dive in a mud puddle if given the chance.

Nice!!

I ended up doing 3 dives yesterday and they were all amazing. We had vis around 60-80 feet and almost no current. Four more boat dives planned this weekend, cannot wait.

sheeper
08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
diving again saturday. trying an area i've not dove before. supposedly big lobsters and small sharks.

WittyUserName
08-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Heading out today at 1300 for two boat dives.

TBone
08-21-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm a certified Dive Master but won't dive in quarries just don't like the fresh water. Haven't done much diving in the last 2 yrs messing around with getting new hip joints and all, but would love to go off the coast of VA and do a little diving. I'm unable to see the first photo's you took states they are unavailable.

junkinduck
08-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Certified PADI rescue diver in 94 but then life got in the way. Still got the gear but tanks are out of date.

sheeper
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
diving is out for a number of days around here thanks to Hurricane Irene. hopefully conditions will be back next week by mid-week or so

WittyUserName
09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Well I have decided to go for Dive Master. I signed up for my Rescue Diver class today and should be done with that by the end of the month and then start the Dive Master stuff the beginning of October!!

Blak Smyth
09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Congrats and good luck Adam!

sheeper
09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Adam...very cool! good luck on the DM path. ya come over to the Florida treasure coast let me know. got some great diving nearby

WittyUserName
09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Well I am getting over my head cold/flu thingy just in time to finish up Rescue Diver and Emergency Frist Responder training this weekend. Thank God, this has probably been the sickest I have been in a long time.

Today I also stopped by the dive shop and signed up and paid for the Underwater Photography class as well as the Dive Master package. I have no clue what I am getting into but eh.....when in rome.

DPD6030
09-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Do what Romans do Adam. That sound awesome about the DM and photography and all other stuff as well.

theycallmedan'lboone
09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2009-11-15-ronaldoembed_380x26_518445a.jpg

icehog3
09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Crosbydive.jpg

DPD6030
09-30-2011, 01:25 AM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Crosbydive.jpg

Ya know you rarely see this get called by the refs :sh It happens quite often, at least last year I saw quite a bit.