PDA

View Full Version : Storing Boxes in Coolerador/Building Coolerador

celtic250
08-15-2011, 12:48 AM
I am currently building my first coolerador to store boxes that I have not opened and do not fit in my desktop for obvious reason. My question is if the boxes are still wrapped in plastic a) should I remove the plastic from the boxes before throwing them in the cooler or b) does it not really matter whether or not I remove the plastic from them? I am pretty excited to get this project under way. Also if any of you have created one of these before, could you please post recommendations, necessities, or pics of your cooleradors you have built. What coolers did everyone use? All input is highly appreciated! I have learned a lot from you guys/gals in such a short time of being on here. Thanks

PS: I have already bought 1 lb of 65% beads and a hygrometer

Bill86
08-15-2011, 12:56 AM
I would remove the plastic from the boxes personally, if only for ease of access, however from what I gather it doesn't matter. I'm sure someone else can confirm this.

The Coleman Xtreme's are quite popular. If you got a pound of beads I would recommend going right around ~90-100 quarts. I used 2 pounds in my 120 and it held 64-65 rock solid. Not sure how less beads would have done but I dunno, I'd rather have more than not enough.

Many people like the 70 quarts because they aren't overly large and easier to move.

I would recommend scrubbing it out with baking soda and hot water to get the plastic smell out if there is one. Even if there isn't may as well do it anyways.

After that really just toss the boxes in with the required amount of beads and that's about it. A digital hygro would help.