PDA

View Full Version : Review them or just smoke them?

TheTraveler
08-14-2011, 01:06 PM
While cleaning some bookshelves at home I came across a binder with detailed cigar review sheets in it, the last one dated 7/21/10. I'd created a detailed review sheet (it even has a space set aside to glue the band to the sheet) and made sure to review a cigar if I'd never smoked it before. If I was smoking a cigar I'd reviewed already but hadn't smoked in a long time I'd refer to the old review while smoking to see if my tastes had changed or if I still felt the same way about the cigar. A quick skim through some of the reviews brought memories of a couple of dog rockets out of the cold-storage of my long term memory, but it also reminded me of a few gems I'd forgotten - now I want to revisit those gems so I'll probably start scouring the usual sites and looking at WTS threads here on CA.

So, why the hell did I get lazy and stop doing them?!!! :sl

Anyway it made me curious about my fellow cigar smokers. Do you make a detailed review or do you smoke 'em and move on? Which do you do?

Bill86
08-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure how detailed my reviews are but if I smoke something I want to remember or was really good I'll review it here if only to look back on it.

That and I read the reviews here to find new smokes, it's nice to contribute to the reviews here.

Ogre
08-14-2011, 01:58 PM
I smoke them. If I find something I really like I will write the name down.

WittyUserName
08-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I would like to start keeping a cigar journal. I have just started looking to try and find one, have any of you ever run across one or just created your own?

kaisersozei
08-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I'll usually review the first few sticks of something I haven't tried before. If it's new or noteworthy, I'll share it here. After that, I just smoke 'em.

kelmac07
08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I keep an Excel database on every stick I torch (my thoughts/likes/dislikes/would I smoke again, etc). Kinda my way to remember if I liked it or not. :D

TheTraveler
08-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I would like to start keeping a cigar journal. I have just started looking to try and find one, have any of you ever run across one or just created your own?

I made my own. I think there are one or two floating around on the net for download though.

I keep an Excel database on every stick I torch (my thoughts/likes/dislikes/would I smoke again, etc). Kinda my way to remember if I liked it or not. :D

I did that for a while but got lazy with it too and let it fall behind. No way to catch it up now though. :)

area51
08-14-2011, 04:59 PM
I put each cigar I smoke into Cigar Aficionados Personal humidor...That is about the extent of it.

pgagnon
08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I have caught the reviewer disease. Thanks to guys like @GCPuff on twitter and Don Fernando. You two guys inspired me to start publishing reviews.

Than you also to Glyveth, mon Chatton who tickled my ego and made me WANT to make reviews.

Drez
08-14-2011, 05:25 PM

But all you smoke are 601 blues Mac :r

Ok for real I don't review the cigars I smoke but if something I really like or want to revisit I'll take the band off and keep it in a old fish bowl. I'll also write it on a post it so I can keep a eye out for sales.

kelmac07
08-14-2011, 05:39 PM
But all you smoke are 601 blues Mac :r

Makes it easy to maintain the datbase. :r :r

Aporschaguy
08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I Smoke em and keep buying what I like and keep adding. It's a mental list.

Hippiebrian
08-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I just smoke
em and move on. If it's good, I'll get another (or a box). Otherwise, once and a while I look through all my old bands just to jog the memory of particular smokes.

irratebass
08-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I Smoke em and keep buying what I like and keep adding. It's a mental list.

This is what I have been doing.

Blak Smyth
08-15-2011, 05:41 AM
I'm not sure how detailed my reviews are but if I smoke something I want to remember or was really good I'll review it here if only to look back on it.

That and I read the reviews here to find new smokes, it's nice to contribute to the reviews here.

Exactly this

Subvet642
08-15-2011, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't call what I do a review as such, but I do scribble some notes when I try a new stick.

Skywalker
08-15-2011, 07:29 AM
I've become lazy!

Once in awhile I'll do a review but not like I use to.

Wanger
08-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Too many blowhards giving reviews out there, and since everyone's palate is different, I don't think anyone should really care about this blowhards review any more (unless it's a horrendously bad stick, like the Gorilla Finger). So I smoke 'em, remember what it was (if I don't have more), and move on to the next one. :)

shilala
08-15-2011, 07:44 AM
I've never kept a log of my own reviews, or even excel notes like Mac does (which is a great idea). That'd make smoking like work to me.
I'll do a review here if a cigar is really good or really bad. I remember saying before in a review that "I'm not interested in heaping words onto mediocrity." I will definately go out of my way if a cigar is super good, in hopes that some brothers will try it and enjoy it. If it's real bad, I don't really try to warn guys off the cigar, but ask them to lower their expectations and see what they think. I do that because lots of times I get all excited by hype and the cigar doesn't play up to my expectations, and I wonder how I'd have received it were I not already expecting big things.

BC-Axeman
08-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I've never kept a log of my own reviews, or even excel notes like Mac does (which is a great idea). That'd make smoking like work to me.
I'll do a review here if a cigar is really good or really bad. I remember saying before in a review that "I'm not interested in heaping words onto mediocrity." I will definately go out of my way if a cigar is super good, in hopes that some brothers will try it and enjoy it. If it's real bad, I don't really try to warn guys off the cigar, but ask them to lower their expectations and see what they think. I do that because lots of times I get all excited by hype and the cigar doesn't play up to my expectations, and I wonder how I'd have received it were I not already expecting big things.
Sklee!
Except I would review a rare or unusual cigar too.

MajorCaptSilly
08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I don't review nearly enough. My sieve of a brain often forgets what I like and what I don't.

MCS

TheTraveler
08-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Too many blowhards giving reviews out there, and since everyone's palate is different, I don't think anyone should really care about this blowhards review any more (unless it's a horrendously bad stick, like the Gorilla Finger). So I smoke 'em, remember what it was (if I don't have more), and move on to the next one. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of reviewing for my own use. I kept up with it steadily for a good while then stopped, and now I'd already forgotten a lot of the ones I'd only smoked once or twice. I may need to get back on the wagon and start scribing again.

And don't go bad-mouthing the gorilla finger man! Mario says they rock. :r

I don't review nearly enough. My sieve of a brain often forgets what I like and what I don't.

MCS

Perzackly my thoughts at the moment. :)