PDA

View Full Version : lou2row B.T.T. cigar #2

lou2row
08-13-2011, 04:07 PM
We have a full panel, so let's roll with the reviews for cigar #2
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg80/lou2row/100_3509.jpg

Jimbud
Cigar: lou2row’s Cigar No. 2 in 4th (or 5th) Blind Taste Test.
Vitola/Wrapper/Binder: 5 by 50; Natural wrapper.
Drink/Food: Ice water; before lunch.
Outside Factors: About 84 degrees (and rising); patio.
Price: Unknown.
Cut: Using a cheap cutter that has a feature that is breaking me of the habit of clipping too much.

Construction: Looks to be a well-made cigar; there are several veins visible, but none are offensive; none should affect the smoking experience. I’ll note off the bat that this stick looks to me – in my limited experience with them – to be Cuban in origin. It has that lighter-than-expected feel to it; and I mean that in a good way. No soft spots; just the veins I mentioned. Triple capped.

Prelight: The foot of the cigar reveals, perhaps, a few stems, but still, this appears well-rolled and filled. Pre-light draw gives me spearmint tea with floral notes with some underlying old book scent. I like it. I suspect this will be a lighter medium bodied stick, and I’m glad I’m smoking this in the (late) morning.

First Third: Lit with me incredibly reliable Bugatti lighter. Initial draw is perfect. Very interesting…I am having some difficulty identifying the tastes – burn is sharp; ash is whitish gray. An inch in and I can’t put my finger easily on even a broad flavor range yet. I really expected this cigar to trend heavily toward the floral/herbal notes—and there is some of that to be sure—but there is an underlying “kick” to it. I virtually certain I’ve never had this stick. The smoke smells quite sweet (floral, perfume, lilac). As the first third ends, I’m getting lilac, tea, and very light milk chocolate (I think I mention chocolate of some kind in just about every review…. No coffee taste yet, which I always seem to pick up on in cigars.)

Second Third: A bit of pecan or cashew makes an appearance. I rarely pick up these flavors. The retrohale yields clear floral, sweet notes that are more discernable than when taking regular puffs. I still suspect this is a Cuban. The smoke coming off of this cigar is quite sweet. Absolutely no construction issues; no relights. This cigar does not fit my normal definition of “complex,” which I usually use to describe more full bodied sticks, but I think I would still describe this cigar as complex – just in a different way. I find this cigar to be mild to medium, and, thus far, is a very good morning stick. As I approach the end of the second third, the flavor picks up in strength a bit, but not a lot.

Final Third: Still a bit of pecan, and now some butterscotch or toffee, along with the subtle tea and floral. I’ve got to rely on the retrohale here – still floral and sweet. Great burn; great draw. In contrast to stick no. 1 – which was only slightly longer – this is a quick smoke. Reached the final third in about 30 minutes. Just poured myself a bit of coffee to see how this pairs or changes things up – the butterscotch or slight saltiness comes through. Bit of a nic kick when I stood up. Without the coffee, the floral notes return. Toward the very end, the inevitable (for me) coffee ground flavor appears with a bit of cedar and spearmint. Just about finished – 40 minute smoke, although I tend to quickly.

Overall: A light to medium stick. Not a significant change in flavors over the course of this smoke, but I enjoyed it very much. This is a great change from many of the full/full sticks coming out. I would definitely buy it and keep in stock. I can tell from the construction this is not a cheap stick. The only people who would not enjoy this cigar are those who only like cigars that punch them in the face. I am betting this is a Cuban because of the construction and taste. I don’t want to break down my rating into different categories because I have found that I end up manipulating the numbers to get where I want to end up. I would give this cigar an 86. Thanks Lou!

Emjaysmash
Cigar: Number 2
Vitola / Wrapper / Binder: N/a
Drink / Food: N/a
Outside Factors: Nice
Construction: The cigar is a bit lumpy but firm all the way through. The cap is decent but looks a little sloppy from the sides. The wrapper is a khaki/dark tan color with no large veins.
Prelight : Not much flavor on the prelight. Slight grass and hay notes.
First Third: This cigar begins with a slightly herbal flavor accompanied by vegetal and woodiness. The major flavors are nuts and possibly tannin.
Draw: The draw is tighter than I would like. It seems there is a tighter wrap near the cap that is restricting airflow.
Burn: Excellent burn despite a slight breeze outside.
Ash/Smoke: The ash is white streak with light gray. IT is solid and stays on for a good inch before needing to be tapped off.
Second Third: The second third is comprised again with slight vegetal notes, slight sweetness form the tobacco and woodiness. The tannin has ramped up a lot into the second third, giving the flavors a sharp bitterness. The nuttiness from the first third progresses into a sunflower seed flavor. The finish is of sweet tobacco and feels creamy/thick on the palate.
Final third: This third is much the same as the second third, except for some citrus notes weaving in and out of the smoke. The sharp bitterness overshadows most of the other flavors now to the point where there are only hints of sunflower seeds and tobacco.
Strength: mild Flavor: medium
Overall Impression: I was surprised by this cigar. It had no triple cap that I could discern which made me think that it wasn’t a Cuban cigar. However as I smoked it further I and fairly certain this was a Cuban. Not sure of the Marca but I think I’ve smoked this marca before. If there was no tannin/bitterness this would be an excellent cigar in my opinion. Because the flavors were so over shadowed by the tannin I can’t give this cigar an “excellent” grade.
Construction: 8 10
Prelight: 3 5
First Third: 12 15
Draw: 7 10
Burn: 10 10
Ash / Smoke: 10 10
Second Third: 8 10
Final Third: 6 10
Overall impression: 13 20
Total Score: 77 100

hoyodude
Cigar: Cigar #2
Vitola / Wrapper: Dusky, medium brown wrapper on this robusto with
some veins but very smooth.
Drink : Modelo Especial.
Outside Factors: It’s finally cooling off from almost 100 to the
upper 80’s so it’s been a hot one. Almost cool in my house at about
Construction: Medium firm to the squeeze and looks very well made.
Prelight: Nondescript.
First Third: Once lit I immediately was taken by the sweetness of
this mild cigar. Not a trace of pepper and somewhat creamy but mostly
a mild, sweet smoke.
Draw: Perfect.
Burn: Mostly straight burning, nothing that didn’t correct itself.
Second Third: Now another element is showing up and it’s a kind of
almond-like flavor that I find in mostly, but not only, younger
cigars. As I smoke it further down that flavor begins to get a little
tannic and a leathery taste is coming forward. The sweetness is still
present but not nearly as noticeable.
Final third: The flavor on this one has gone a little south for me
now. The sweetness is mostly gone and the tannic leathery taste has
ramped up while not being a rich flavor, just more “crisp”. Not a bad
tasting cigar but not one I’d persue.
Strength: Mild
Flavor: Mild/Medium
Overall Impression: A well-made, mild cigar that might have paired
better with a morning coffee than with a light pilsner. As noted, it
was not a bad cigar but it just didn’t fit with my palate in the end.
If it had been consistent with the first third I would have written a
completely different review but it changed in ways I wasn’t thrilled
with.
Construction: 9
Prelight: 5
First Third: 12
Draw: 10
Burn: 7
Ash / Smoke: 8
Second Third: 5
Final Third: 9
Overall impression: 8
Total Score: 73

lou2row
08-13-2011, 04:14 PM
SteveH
Cigar: Number 2
Vitola / Wrapper / Binder: 4 ¾” x 48. Medium brown veiny wrapper; slightly oily and smooth to the touch.
Drink / Food: None
Outside Factors: Rain
Construction: Firm to the touch; abit light in the hand
Prelight : Sweetness…Faint; but there. Akin to molassas
Cut: Straight cut using Xikar Xi
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QDvuFU3vxDk/TiYo0No0zuI/AAAAAAAAHJ8/Z3H1wU3525E/s640/IMG_00224.jpg

First Third: Sweetness hit right off the bat – damn near swisher-sweet in flavor and aroma. The sweetness stayed throughout the first third; and a dark molassas flavor lingered in the back of my throat. Once things got going; there was a nice light floral/heather-like flavor coming in; along with some cedar.
Draw: Very good ; trending towards the light side.
Burn: Good. Stayed lit and burned cool
Ash/Smoke: Bright white ash; light grey smoke. Minimal smoke from the cigar when resting. The ash only hung around for about ½” or so.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8UTH_6kdPaM/TiYo160EsLI/AAAAAAAAHKA/hrxtLkcv0DQ/s640/IMG_00225.jpg

Second Third: Picking up the pace. The amount of smoke from the cigar at rest is increasing; as is the volume of smoke it produces per puff. The sweetness is still at the forefront; although in more of a malted milk profile. This is going real nice with the chocolate flavors which are starting to appear as well – almost like a whopper candy ball. Interestingly enough the burn (which was a little jagged on the first 1/3rd has straightened out nicely – although still isn’t razor sharp. About ½ way through the cigar leather flavors come out. Really quite enjoyable.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ti0Jp3rgkZI/TiYo4aAvWQI/AAAAAAAAHKE/OrAwNUfNKKY/s640/IMG_00226.jpg

Final third: The smoke is becoming thicker as we near the finish line. The sweetness has faded and toast and herbal flavors are pulling through. There’s a slight asphault/tar hint in there…Which interestingly works well (somewhat like the smell of freshly sealed parking lots). As expected, the cigar is starting to burn warm; but nothing out of the ordinary. The ash is starting to get on my nerves though, as it won’t reach more than ¼” before falling off. Finally at the very end the cigar lets me know it’s done.
Total Smoking Time: 72mins
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oUDYHV444BY/TiYo50-T-nI/AAAAAAAAHKI/ROvpKO8rIDM/s640/IMG_00227.jpg
Strength: Mild Flavor: Medium
Overall Impression: Not a bad day to day stick (dependent upon price of course). There was just enough there to keep you interested, although if you took the time to seriously taste the cigar it may become boring. The sweetness was welcoming considering I wasn’t pairing with a beverage; it left your mouth with a pleasant after-taste that wasn’t drying in any way.
Construction: 6 10
Prelight: 2 5
First Third: 12 15
Draw: 7 10
Burn: 7 10
Ash / Smoke: 6 10
Final Third: 7 10
Overall impression: 16 20
Total Score: 71 100

Hscmit
Construction: good construction, no noticeable flaws or soft spots. wrapper has several small veins but is very smooth

Prelightight hay flavor

First Third: some pepper on the first few puffs, as the cigar gets going a lot of oak flavors come to the front

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p430/hscmit/101_1157.jpg

Draw: draw is good

Burn: burn is a little off, but not enough for me to correct

Ash/Smoke: plenty of smoke and a strong ash

Second Third: pepper comes back into the front, oak persists. Starts to develop a bitter flavor, purge helps

Final third: strong oak flavor and some leather notes as well

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p430/hscmit/101_1158.jpg

Strength:med

Flavor: med

Overall: good, but quick burning only lasted about 45 minutes, I enjoyed this one

Scoring

Construction: 9/10
Prelight: 4/5
First Third: 13/15
Draw: 10/10
Burn: 8/10
Ash / Smoke: 9/10
Second Third: 8/10
Final Third: 8/10
Overall impression: 17/20
Total Score: 86/100

tj2001cobra
Cigar: Lou’s Cigar taste Test – Cigar #2
Vitola / Wrapper / Binder: Toro perhaps… Medium colored wrapper.
Drink / Food: No food. Bud Light to drink
Outside Factors: Hot as hell outside. 11 at night and around 98 degrees. Ugh
Construction: Cigar has a triple cap, but seems pretty veiny. Pretty bumpy and doesn’t look like it was wrapped by a pro. A couple of spots look like they got bunched up when the wrapper was wet.
Prelight : Nice cedar smell. Pre-light draw seems a bit barnyard. Clipped with my Palio and torched with my Tat Triple Flame.

First Third: 11:07PM Having a hard time with this smoke. It seems mild/medium to me and not a lot of flavor. After about the first inch or so, I got a sweet taste, but it went away after a couple of puffs. Pretty much straight tobacco taste to me.

Draw: Nice easy draw. Works perfect for me.
Burn: Even burn. No complaints and no touch ups needed.
Ash/Smoke: Medium gray colored ash that only held about an inch. Dropped right in front of my laptop (whew). Never held longer than an inch the entire cigar

Second Third: 11:25 This thing is burning REALLY fast. I’m not puffing it that much and it is close to being halfway gone! More of the same bland taste. Very one-dimensional. I have no idea what these flavors are in this one. “Dull” is the best way I can think to explain them. Perhaps I should go see an ENT to see if something is wrong with my taste buds.

Final third: 11:40 This thing is burning like crazy. Underfilled perhaps? I forgot to squeeze it before I lighted but it is pretty mushy right now. The ash wont hold more than about ¾ of an inch now. Nothing to write home about

Strength: Mild/Medium Flavor: There was a little
Overall Impression: Finished this cigar in about 45 minutes. Can’t believe how fast it burned, yet it didn’t get hot. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t buy this cigar. Nothing about it jumped out at me. One dimensional and burned really fast.

Construction: 7 10
Prelight: 3 5
First Third: 8 15
Draw: 9 10
Burn: 7 10
Ash / Smoke: 5 10
Final Third: 8 10
Overall impression: 10 20
Total Score: 65 100

lou2row
08-14-2011, 03:41 PM
This is a cigar I picked up on a whim. When I first had the cigar I had no great expectations. As I smoked it, the dang ash held like a rock until only an inch was left before it fell! I also got a good complexity of flavors throughout. They were subtle, but definitely there. As I smoked through the bundle (hint hint) I had a couple that were not as flavorful, but never a bad one. I wasn't originally going to add this, but as I smoked one while getting the cigars ready to send I had another much like the first. I decided to add this to see what others thought.

When several mentioned sweet, that had never came to me. Probably because I have a ravenous sweet tooth, and it never seemed that sweet, but may have been part of why I enjoy them so much.

Sometimes you just want a stick that gets the job done. While mowing, dog walking, out on the boat, or whenever. For a couple of you, hopefully I have given you a new option. And that it had enough going for it to make you think a Habano, I think you will be pleased to find an inexpensive alternative.

Cigar #2 is:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg80/lou2row/100_4018.jpg

Flor de Copan

SteveH
08-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Interesting ! I think we all agreed that it was a good day-day smoke.

jimbud
08-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Hello all, My first post here. Looks like a great forum -- I particularly like the number and quality of the reviews available in a separate sub-forum.

I thought this stick was much more expensive than it really was. Top notch construction throughout. Enjoyed it very much. Enjoyed reading the other guys' reviews -- well done.

lou2row
08-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks for coming over Jim. One of the most fun things I like to do is expose people to something they may not have tried otherwise. The first one I remember was Andytv getting great reviews to a Cu Avana maduro. The next (that I was a part of) was to the Peterson gran reserve. I bought two boxes before they disappeared due to that blind review, and have a box of the Cu Avanas aging. I always send a low end or two, but never one that I do not thoroughly enjoy.

It doesn't appear to be much interest in this type of review anymore. I thought this would be my new home for doing these, but I may call it quits once this one finishes.

Emjaysmash
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Hello all, My first post here. Looks like a great forum -- I particularly like the number and quality of the reviews available in a separate sub-forum.

I thought this stick was much more expensive than it really was. Top notch construction throughout. Enjoyed it very much. Enjoyed reading the other guys' reviews -- well done.

:tpd:

I could have sworn this cigar was cuban. It was truly a treat!

hscmit
08-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Hey lou, thanks for hosting this, I always enjoy these and reading everyone's opinions

I was surprised by some of the low scores on this stick, I enjoyed it