PDA

View Full Version : Puros Indios Reserva Maxima ’03 Robusto

Starscream
11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I received this cigar in a sampler deal from CI. I have read numerous posts about how bad Puros Indios cigars and anything else by Rolando Reyes Jr. are. Well after smoking this stick I would completely agree. From the first draw to a little past the halfway point, this cigar was disgusting. Tastes of dry cardboard and leaves. :pu Normaly, I would have put this stick down but I wanted to do a review on it, so I kept on puffin:bh. The last third was surprisingly decent, but I wouldn't want anyone to suffer for as long as I did just to get to a slightly decent final third of a robusto. It reminded me of one of the CI el-cheapos (Cremosa, Oro Cubano, Joya Del Jefe, etc.). At least these dog rockets are less than a buck a peice.
Would I recommend this stick to anyone? Hell no!
Would I buy this stick again? Hell no!
I know normaly I wouldn't write off a certain brand by smoking just one stick, but in this case...:hn

My recommendation to all interested in trying a Puros Indios: STAY AWAY!

EEE
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
it's funny, not in the "ha-ha" way, that anyone would write off all other cigar lines of a manufacturer, or even the one reviewed, based on a single experience.

How did you ever get married - or did you marry the first girl you dated?

I guarantee that I can send you 10 blinded sticks and you wouldn't be able to pick out the 5 Puros Indios/Reyes Family ones I put in there. In fact - I would be willing to bet money that if you gave 10 honest reviews that you'd rate a couple of them at the top of your list.

I'm new here but have been looking through a lot of posts and am quite surprised at how negative this site is on some manufacturers but are overly positive on others.

ade06
07-07-2009, 08:49 AM
it's funny, not in the "ha-ha" way, that anyone would write off all other cigar lines of a manufacturer, or even the one reviewed, based on a single experience.

How did you ever get married - or did you marry the first girl you dated?

I guarantee that I can send you 10 blinded sticks and you wouldn't be able to pick out the 5 Puros Indios/Reyes Family ones I put in there. In fact - I would be willing to bet money that if you gave 10 honest reviews that you'd rate a couple of them at the top of your list.

I'm new here but have been looking through a lot of posts and am quite surprised at how negative this site is on some manufacturers but are overly positive on others.

Welcome to CA, way to attack a member's post from 8 months ago on your first post...:( An introduction first would be more approprate. :ss

MajorCaptSilly
07-07-2009, 08:52 AM
When these came out in the Cigar boom years, they were all the rage. One liqour store in my area carried the brand and they were going for $12-$18 a stick. I don't think they taste much different now than when I got robbed all those years ago.

MCS

Col. Kurtz
07-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Triple E, Too many good cigars out there to keep wasting money on something you're sure you won't enjoy.

Kinda how I've written off Oliva and most Tats. Heresy, I know. But I've wasted too much money trying to enjoy those sticks.

Andrew, thanks for the review, never had a desire to pick one up. Now I won't.

goalie204
07-07-2009, 09:11 AM
i've had some bunk puros indios, and some awesome ones

O-Danger
07-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Last one of these I had was not good :P I have to pitch it. I think I got it in 06...

Dunkel
07-07-2009, 09:35 AM
I was tempted to try this one. Seeing that it is reasonably priced, and Resere or Reserva usually denotes something that was special at one time or another. Thanks for saving me $7 for a 5 pack on C bid.

EEE
07-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Welcome to CA, way to attack a member's post from 8 months ago on your first post...:( An introduction first would be more approprate. :ss

definitely wasn't meant as an attack, and, like I said - I have been reading a lot of posts here and voiced what trend(s) I have found.

If slamming the door shut after smoking one cigar, and everyone else is ok with that kind of mantra then, well, allllllrighty then.

will go back to staying behind the scenes and just reading. thanks.

14holestogie
07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
definitely wasn't meant as an attack, and, like I said - I have been reading a lot of posts here and voiced what trend(s) I have found.

If slamming the door shut after smoking one cigar, and everyone else is ok with that kind of mantra then, well, allllllrighty then.

Opinions are just that, one person's opinion, and shouldn't necessarily be used to make a final determination as to your smoking preferences.

They are, however, useful if you know your preferences mirror that of the OP.

Feel free to continue voicing yours, but an introductory post would be the way to go. :2

BlackIrish
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM

Opinions are just that, one person's opinion, and shouldn't necessarily be used to make a final determination as to your smoking preferences.

They are, however, useful if you know your preferences mirror that of the OP.

Feel free to continue voicing yours, but an introductory post would be the way to go. :2

Hey, EEE. This is generally a pretty friendly forum, one that's tolerant of a wide range of opinions. If you'd let me, I'd like to offer a couple of constructive comments that might be helpful.

First, as several people have noted, it's generally good practice to introduce yourself. Just as you'd introduce yourself to the host and guests at a party at someone's house, you should pop over to the New Inmate Processing forum to say a few words about yourself.

Second, some of the reaction to your post may have had to do with the way you phrased it. Instead of challenging the OP (who's been around for quite a while and is known to many of us) or questioning how he got married, you might have said something like, "I'm sorry you didn't like it. I've smoked these and other Reyes cigars and I've really enjoyed them. You might try [insert favorite]. . . ." If you take a look at a review I posted for a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial just yesterday, which was lackluster, you'll see that several folks pointed me toward another size in the line. That kind of response is helpful and more respectful of the time I spent posting the review.

Third, there are definitely contingents of vocal fans of particular cigars here in the Asylum. Some people love anything by Pepin, others love Illusiones, others love Olivas. But you don't have to look far to find inmates who don't care much for Olivas, or who think Pepin has overextended himself, or who don't like Dion's methods of marketing.

You shouldn't be shy about expressing your opinions; you might just do it in a way that is more positive and less directed as a criticism. And, just as you wouldn't write off an entire line based on one cigar, don't go back to lurking based upon this experience.

Welcome.

ade06
07-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Having you as a passive member was not my intention. From what I've experienced here, all opinions are welcomed. It just struck me as odd that you used your 1st post to generalize the CA members' thoughts and opinions as a whole, by stating "how negative this site is on some manufacturers but are overly positive on others." In fact, you used an older review to support this "trend" that you believe. A "hi I'm from… and I like cigars..." might have been a better 1st post. That's just my opinion and I don't speak for CA as a whole or for anyone else here at CA for that matter. Smoke what you like and read the cigar reviews for what they are… someone's individual opinion concerning what they liked or disliked, and hopefully why. :ss

tuxpuff
07-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey, EEE. This is generally a pretty friendly forum, one that's tolerant of a wide range of opinions. If you'd let me, I'd like to offer a couple of constructive comments that might be helpful.

First, as several people have noted, it's generally good practice to introduce yourself. Just as you'd introduce yourself to the host and guests at a party at someone's house, you should pop over to the New Inmate Processing forum to say a few words about yourself.

Second, some of the reaction to your post may have had to do with the way you phrased it. Instead of challenging the OP (who's been around for quite a while and is known to many of us) or questioning how he got married, you might have said something like, "I'm sorry you didn't like it. I've smoked these and other Reyes cigars and I've really enjoyed them. You might try [insert favorite]. . . ." If you take a look at a review I posted for a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial just yesterday, which was lackluster, you'll see that several folks pointed me toward another size in the line. That kind of response is helpful and more respectful of the time I spent posting the review.

Third, there are definitely contingents of vocal fans of particular cigars here in the Asylum. Some people love anything by Pepin, others love Illusiones, others love Olivas. But you don't have to look far to find inmates who don't care much for Olivas, or who think Pepin has overextended himself, or who don't like Dion's methods of marketing.

You shouldn't be shy about expressing your opinions; you might just do it in a way that is more positive and less directed as a criticism. And, just as you wouldn't write off an entire line based on one cigar, don't go back to lurking based upon this experience.

Welcome.

Well said :tu

Genetic Defect
07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
hello:wo

borndead1
07-07-2009, 12:14 PM

I'll take that challenge if you're serious. None of that new "Reyes Family" reinvention of the name stuff though. Rolando Sr. cigars only. I promise to give 10 honest reviews.

P.S. Welcome to Cigar Asylum. :ss

EEE
07-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I'll take that challenge if you're serious. None of that new "Reyes Family" reinvention of the name stuff though. Rolando Sr. cigars only. I promise to give 10 honest reviews.

P.S. Welcome to Cigar Asylum. :ss

send me your addy via PM. I'll send a 10 spot mix of P.I. stuff with other non P.I. stuff

borndead1
07-07-2009, 12:38 PM
send me your addy via PM. I'll send a 10 spot mix of P.I. stuff with other non P.I. stuff

PM sent, bro.

May I have your word as a cigar smoker and a gentleman that the cigars will be truthfully identified after I'm done smoking them? :)

pnoon
07-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Another trend you must have noticed is that virtually everyone in our community posts an introduction.

Wise words from BlackIrish

as several people have noted, it's generally good practice to introduce yourself. Just as you'd introduce yourself to the host and guests at a party at someone's house, you should pop over to the New Inmate Processing forum to say a few words about yourself.

EEE
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
PM sent, bro.

May I have your word as a cigar smoker and a gentleman that the cigars will be truthfully identified after I'm done smoking them? :)

100%

I may have not made the best first impression but I have been around long enough not to screw with stuff like this. And, if you end up ranking the P.I.'s at the bottom of the list - I can handle it.

SchizoFilly
07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Another trend you must have noticed is that virtually everyone in our community posts an introduction.

Wise words from BlackIrish

.....but why do that when you can shoot from the hip on a zombie thread :cb

pnoon
07-07-2009, 12:51 PM
.....but why do that when you can shoot from the hip on a zombie thread :cb

Don't need any gasoline on a potential fire. :2

SchizoFilly
07-07-2009, 01:02 PM

aw, come on....this close to the 4th nobody would notice a few extra fireworks:(

EEE
07-07-2009, 01:03 PM

I'm a big boy - I can take. ;)

pnoon
07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
aw, come on....this close to the 4th nobody would notice a few extra fireworks:(
:)
The admin team here has enough to do without any additional fireworks.

SchizoFilly
07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
:)
The admin team here has enough to do without any additional fireworks.

and a great job you do:tu

pnoon
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
and a great job you do:tu

Thanks. We appreciate the support.

bigloo
07-07-2009, 02:42 PM
This could be a good one. EEE, welcome. Once the storm dies down you will enjoy yourself here. I have tried 2-3 different PI blends, none tickled my fancy, one (the plain green label) was outright nasty. That being said, a good blind taste test is always welcome in my books. Make sure you guys get a thread going for all to bookmark.

The Poet
07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey, whaddaya know - somebody in hot $#!+, and it ain't me!

Welcome to the Asylum, 3E - enjoy your stay. Here, here's your meds.

Garbandz
07-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I would also like to try a blind taster,I love reviewing cigars,and I used to enjoy Aliados as a regular smoke.I have not had any of the newer offerings,I would gladly review some.Thanks for joining us here,and welcome!!!!

Starscream
07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Knocking my review is alright w/ me. Knocking my marriage is not.
I will take you up on your offer though. I may not be able to tell which ones are the PIs, but I will be able to tell you which one's I don't like (and I'll bet that they will be the Indios sticks).

EEE
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Knocking my review is alright w/ me. Knocking my marriage is not.
I will take you up on your offer though. I may not be able to tell which ones are the PIs, but I will be able to tell you which one's I don't like (and I'll bet that they will be the Indios sticks).

I wasn't knocking your marriage - and if it was taken that way I publicly apologize.

I already had one guy step up for the 10 spot and I'll send 10 to you as well. I'm not going to say if they are, or are not, the same cigars as the other gentleman.

Please pm me a mailing addy

mcmoyer
07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Alrighty! I can hardly wait to see the results of the blind smoke test here!! Way to go 3E!!

:tu

ade06
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I wasn't knocking your marriage - and if it was taken that way I publicly apologize.

I already had one guy step up for the 10 spot and I'll send 10 to you as well. I'm not going to say if they are, or are not, the same cigars as the other gentleman.

Nice recovery. I look forward to reading the two blind reviews.:ss

borndead1
07-08-2009, 07:32 AM

Since this was Andy's review, and the challenge was originally issued to him, I can step aside. No problem. :ss

EEE
07-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Since this was Andy's review, and the challenge was originally issued to him, I can step aside. No problem. :ss

the more the merrier - and I have enough cigars right now that I won't miss 20.

It will be interesting to see your guys' reviews side by side.

bigheadmark
11-16-2009, 08:38 AM
well....what happened? did the blind test ever occur?
Puros Indios have been hit or miss for me....based on the reserva maxima that I bought off CI several months ago, I will not be buying PI again...I'm of the thought that if you screw me once, IE bad product, then that's it...there are way too many GOOD consistent brands out there to smoke than to give a certain brand a 2nd, or 3rd chance....I give them a shot, and if they fail, then see ya!