PDA

View Full Version : Same Cigar, Different Experience

nexprofit
08-11-2011, 07:23 AM
First of all, i am a noob that hasnt been smoking cigars for more than a year yet. I got my first noob trade a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to Chainsaw (Bob), i got some amazing sticks. I smoked a Fuente Short Story, and i was so impressed, that i named it my new 2nd favorite cigar. I went to the local shop, bought a couple from there, and they tasted nothing like the one that Chainsaw sent me.... SO.... does this mean that
1. All cigars, whether they are the same cigar or not, are going to taste different.
2. My experience will be different because of a change in my taste.
3. Chainsaw laced the cigar with rainbows and to make that specific cigar taste better.

Fordman4ever
08-11-2011, 07:25 AM
I'm going with option #3

Bill86
08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Could be age.

Could be storage conditions.

Could be you. Sometimes when you first try something it's so great, then the rest aren't as good. This happened to me with CoLas. But they still are damn tasty :tu

pnoon
08-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Could be age.

Could be you. Sometimes when you first try something it's so great, then the rest aren't as good. This happened to me with CoLas. But they still are damn tasty :tu
Bingo.
To expand on Bill's third point, one's frame of mind and food/beverage accompaniment can also effect the experience.

Finally, it could have just been a bad stick.

:2
Posted via Mobile Device

Drez
08-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Could be age.

Bingo.
To expand on Bill's third point, one's frame of mind and food/beverage accompaniment can also effect the experience.

Finally, it could have just been a bad stick.

:2
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with both Peter and bill

What I try to do when i find a cigar that I like is I try and and pick up a few more and put one down to rest for about 6 months or longer. I'll also smoke one with say maybe a nice hot cup of coffee and another with a soda or drink.

I play around until I find a combo that works for me. Also come six months or longer when I smoke the one or two I put down I also take into account if the rest improved the smoke to me.

I personally think thats the best part of this hobby / addiction / lifestyle.

Always remember always try and give a cigar a chance or 2 before you write it off.

Devanmc
08-11-2011, 08:10 AM
i would blame it on storage condition or add it to the list. many and most shops ive walked into store their flavor infused cigars in with the rest. These infused cigars will change the taste of everything else in the humidor. Atleast from what i am told.

Blak Smyth
08-11-2011, 08:13 AM
First of all, i am a noob that hasnt been smoking cigars for more than a year yet. I got my first noob trade a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to Chainsaw (Bob), i got some amazing sticks. I smoked a Fuente Short Story, and i was so impressed, that i named it my new 2nd favorite cigar. I went to the local shop, bought a couple from there, and they tasted nothing like the one that Chainsaw sent me.... SO.... does this mean that
1. All cigars, whether they are the same cigar or not, are going to taste different.
2. My experience will be different because of a change in my taste.
3. Chainsaw laced the cigar with rainbows and to make that specific cigar taste better.

I would imagine the cigar age and storage condition would be the primary issues here, like everybody else said already.

What is your #1 cigar?

Killian
Definitely a change in your taste. Short stories are no good. You better box all of them up and send them to me for immediate disposal.

All kidding aside.....give them some time, come back and enjoy them later.

Bill86
i would blame it on storage condition or add it to the list. many and most shops ive walked into store their flavor infused cigars in with the rest. These infused cigars will change the taste of everything else in the humidor. Atleast from what i am told.

The word is that you CAN store Acids with regulars if you have a walk in of a certain size.

Devanmc
08-11-2011, 08:16 AM
had a cigar out of a walk-in the size of an office. it was a gurka black dragon(i was still very much a newb). it tasted sugary and creamy. the owner had the entire acid line in the humidor.

you very well could be right and id assume its the case. but im thinking it would be a very large walk-in

Blak Smyth
08-11-2011, 08:20 AM
had a cigar out of a walk-in the size of an office. it was a gurka black dragon(i was still very much a newb). it tasted sugary and creamy. the owner had the entire acid line in the humidor.

you very well could be right and id assume its the case. but im thinking it would be a very large walk-in

So we should add you to the Gurkha list?:dr

Gurkha infused cigars coming soon, MSRP $97.00 each but I will sell them to you for $3.00 each, cause I like you.

nexprofit
08-11-2011, 08:20 AM
I agree with both Peter and bill

What I try to do when i find a cigar that I like is I try and and pick up a few more and put one down to rest for about 6 months or longer. I'll also smoke one with say maybe a nice hot cup of coffee and another with a soda or drink.

I play around until I find a combo that works for me. Also come six months or longer when I smoke the one or two I put down I also take into account if the rest improved the smoke to me.

I personally think thats the best part of this hobby / addiction / lifestyle.

Always remember always try and give a cigar a chance or 2 before you write it off.

Ill do that, im gonna lay them to rest, chainsaw must have had a little sleeping bag and pillow for the one he sent, because god dang it was amazing.

Devanmc
08-11-2011, 08:21 AM
So we should add you to the Gurkha list?:dr

no i had one from a different shop shortly after and pitched it like 5 puffs in. :pu never again

Drez
08-11-2011, 08:22 AM

Why acids and other infused sticks can impact the taste of other cigars I believe that a walk in at a b&m won't offer the conditions needed to allow that flavor exchange. Remember the door opening and closing offers a big air exchange within the humidor on top ofthe fact that alot of boxes that are being stored there are sealed and offer very little air exchange. The open boxes take a lot of real estate and I don't think a few open boxes of acids and other infused sticks offer enough of the "smell" to be let out and absorbed by the other cigars.

To my understanding too is that it will take a good amount of time for the cigars to "marry" flavors and if the b&m is fairly busy the stock should move well before that will happen.

Just my :2

nexprofit
08-11-2011, 08:22 AM
I would imagine the cigar age and storage condition would be the primary issues here, like everybody else said already.

What is your #1 cigar?

#1 is the La Flor Dominicana, Factory Press III. if you can find them, get em. theyre on auction today. theyre limited so whats left is slim pickins

nexprofit
08-11-2011, 08:26 AM

Ive been looking for a damn Black Dragon!
Its on my List of $h!t to smoke

Devanmc
08-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Why acids and other infused sticks can impact the taste of other cigars I believe that a walk in at a b&m won't offer the conditions needed to allow that flavor exchange. Remember the door opening and closing offers a big air exchange within the humidor on top ofthe fact that alot of boxes that are being stored there are sealed and offer very little air exchange. The open boxes take a lot of real estate and I don't think a few open boxes of acids and other infused sticks offer enough of the "smell" to be let out and absorbed by the other cigars.

To my understanding too is that it will take a good amount of time for the cigars to "marry" flavors and if the b&m is fairly busy the stock should move well before that will happen.

Just my :2

sounds fair enough to me.

yeah this place was uuhhh interesting and very very hard to explain. no boxes just singles(thousands of them, maybe 300 different styles from your various brands) and the "humidification" was this mist sprayer in the ceiling. rooms was the size of a medium sized office. I thought alabama felt humid then i walked into their humidor.

Drez
08-11-2011, 08:32 AM
sounds fair enough to me.

yeah this place was uuhhh interesting and very very hard to explain. no boxes just singles and the "humidification" was this mist sprayer in the ceiling. I thought alabama felt humid then i walked into their humidor.

:r:r

Yea I really think it depends on the b&m. Hell I've smoked cigars from boxes right next to the complete acid line and had zero flavor issues.

Devanmc
08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
yeah these were across the room and you could taste it. :td

good to know its not a big issue

N2 GOLD
08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm sure Storage conditions & aging & the key factor... -(P

Chainsaw13
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I"m going to go with option #3. I had a large shipment of rainbows I needed to do something with. the damn leprachauns kept eating all my food, drinking my booze and smoking my cigars. Good thing I stole a pot o' gold to recoup some of my costs.

I've had that box for about 2.5 years. Bought it on a crawl in New Orleans in 09.

nexprofit
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I"m going to go with option #3. I had a large shipment of rainbows I needed to do something with. the damn leprachauns kept eating all my food, drinking my booze and smoking my cigars. Good thing I stole a pot o' gold to recoup some of my costs.

I've had that box for about 2.5 years. Bought it on a crawl in New Orleans in 09.

Damn Leprachauns! :hf
so that explains a lot of it. thanks for putting this one to bed. i need a bigger humidor so i can let some rest. because the same thing happened to me with the camacho triple maduro.
you learn something new every day