PDA

View Full Version : building a coolidor

gray8188
08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Well I'm running out of space in my humidor and I'm figuring the cheapest route would be to build a coolidor. I don't want it to be huge. But do I need to tape cigar box panels to the sides to absorb humidity? Or I would like to be able to just put the cigars in cigar boxes and maybe put a shelf on top for any loose singles. Would that be okay? And as far as a humidification device goes can I use maybe one or 2 of these? http://www.tampahumidor.com/accessories/cigar-mechanic-250.php.
Thanks for the help, I'm still a bit of a newb but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Drez
08-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Coolers are very simple to set up.

1. Buy coole
2. Air out cooler for a couple days
3. Buy beads (or other humidification device)
4. Put beads in cooler
5. Add boxes and a hygro
6. Sit back and relax

Drez
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Also the humidifier you posted would work but depending on the size of the cooler you will need multiple.

Look into heartfelt beads.

Tyler
08-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Taping cigar box panels to the sides is not necessary but some do it. I just have the cigar boxes in the cooler and then a small plastic tub on top of those that I keep singles in.

For humidification I go with Heartfelt Industries beads. I use a 1/2 pound of 65% beads in my 48QT cooler. The cooler is a 48QT Coleman that I picked up for $16 from the local Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Half pound of beads is at the bottom of the page. $18 plus shipping. You might want to get a small mesh bag to put the beads in. You just spray the beads till they are around 60% clear and then put them in and you are done. This way the whole setup is around $40. You can also get a hygrometer if you wish.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads

They have a tool that tells you how many beads you will need for your space.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Good luck bro and be sure to show us pictures!

Also, like Frank said, be sure to let the cooler air out for a few days. I also used baking soda and poured it in the inside and then washed it out with distilled water to get the smell out. :tu

gray8188
08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
When taping the panels do you cover the whole thing or just put a few here or there?

gray8188
08-09-2011, 09:33 PM
AAnd yea I'm aware of the beads I was thinking thats what I would have to get. But if I have say a 28qt cooler would 2 of those cigar mechanics work? There just very convenient.

Jbailey
08-09-2011, 09:37 PM
When taping the panels do you cover the whole thing or just put a few here or there?

I wouldn't worry about taping panels in there. Just storing boxes in there will do the trick.

Ranger_B
08-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Ive never taped. That would be users preference I am sure. In my opinion no real need to put scaps in your cooler. Leave more room for boxes. No experience with the humidifier you posted but like others have said beads make it simple. Dont forget a good digital hygrometer.

Tyler
08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
AAnd yea I'm aware of the beads I was thinking thats what I would have to get. But if I have say a 28qt cooler would 2 of those cigar mechanics work? There just very convenient.

Well in all actuality I believe beads would be easier for you. The other ones work fine I guess but the beads stay at a constant humidity. I believe you would only need like a quarter pound for the 28QT based on the dimensions. Before I didn't use beads and just wrote them off as being the same as the other humidification devices but after switching I now see they are far superior. It is just my opinion but I know some of the other guys would agree that beads are the way to go. They are cheaper than the cigar mechanics too I believe.

Jbailey
08-09-2011, 09:45 PM

With a 28qt cooler you would need roughly 3oz of beads. You can use more which wouldn't hurt just help stabilize.

TBone
08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
:tpd:Taping cigar box panels to the sides is not necessary but some do it. I just have the cigar boxes in the cooler and then a small plastic tub on top of those that I keep singles in.

For humidification I go with Heartfelt Industries beads. I use a 1/2 pound of 65% beads in my 48QT cooler. The cooler is a 48QT Coleman that I picked up for $16 from the local Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Half pound of beads is at the bottom of the page. $18 plus shipping. You might want to get a small mesh bag to put the beads in. You just spray the beads till they are around 60% clear and then put them in and you are done. This way the whole setup is around $40. You can also get a hygrometer if you wish.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads

They have a tool that tells you how many beads you will need for your space.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Good luck bro and be sure to show us pictures!

Also, like Frank said, be sure to let the cooler air out for a few days. I also used baking soda and poured it in the inside and then washed it out with distilled water to get the smell out. :tu

gray8188
08-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Alrite well beads it is i guess. And im trying to get this done as soon as possible thats the only reason i was second guessing the beads is cause i would have to wait for shipping and all that. And the box of cigars i want are on sale and i need to get them soon before they run out. And i have no place to keep them. But are these beads the same thing? http://www.tampahumidor.com/accessories/humidor-humidification-beads----1/2-pound.php Reason for these is there at my local B&M. Lol sorry for all the questions guys, just trying to make sure i have all things covered before i jump into this.

WittyUserName
08-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Alrite well beads it is i guess. And im trying to get this done as soon as possible thats the only reason i was second guessing the beads is cause i would have to wait for shipping and all that. And the box of cigars i want are on sale and i need to get them soon before they run out. And i have no place to keep them. But are these beads the same thing? http://www.tampahumidor.com/accessories/humidor-humidification-beads----1/2-pound.php Reason for these is there at my local B&M. Lol sorry for all the questions guys, just trying to make sure i have all things covered before i jump into this.

If the picture of the product that you posted is correct then they do appear to the Heartfelt Beads. :tu But the product description does not mention the brand...I would just double check.

Jbailey
08-10-2011, 06:49 AM
The only ones I've used were heartfelt and never had one problem with them. If I needed to get some more beads its what I would buy again.

Tyler
08-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Those appear to be the 70% Heartfelt beads.

I'd go with the 65% beads over the 70% but some people like their cigars better around 70% so it is all personal preference. If you want the 70% just go with what your local B&M has as they do appear to be the exact same. If you want 65% just order online. They are shipped in a padded envelope priority mail and only take a few days. In all honesty the box would be fine in the cooler without beads while the beads are in transit for a few days. Just don't open the box or if you do just put a moist sponge in the coolidor. This is not really good for long term storage but for the 3 days it takes for the beads to get to you it is no problem.

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 07:47 AM
I see you guys all referenced the Heartfelt beads, are the Heartfelts better than the Shilalas? Just trying to decide which ones to order when I am ready.

Heartfelt Link (http://heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14)

Shilala Link (http://www.shilalasbeads.com/)

As far as taping panels to the inside of the coolidor, I would think that the tape may have chemicals on it that we wouldn't want in there with the cigars, prolly doesn't matter but I tend to over think this stuff.

WittyUserName
08-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I see you guys all referenced the Heartfelt beads, are the Heartfelts better than the Shilalas? Just trying to decide which ones to order when I am ready.

As far as taping panels to the inside of the coolidor, I would think that the tape may have chemicals on it that we wouldn't want in there with the cigars, prolly doesn't matter but I tend to over think this stuff.

These are also an alternative to those two choices. I ordered a Puck-ifier 100/65% the other day and will post a review once it comes in.

http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065-1.aspx There is a pull down menu that shows the different options.

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 08:00 AM
These are also an alternative to those two choices. I ordered a Puck-ifier 100/65% the other day and will post a review once it comes in.

http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065-1.aspx There is a pull down menu that shows the different options.

I am blocked from that site at work sorry, dumb censorship in the work place. It's like they think the internet would somehow disrupt my work flow...
Well onto the next thread:r:r:r

I was leaning towards the shilala primarily because they come in their own nice sealed bag.

WittyUserName
08-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I am blocked from that site at work sorry, dumb censorship in the work place. It's like they think the internet would somehow disrupt my work flow...
Well onto the next thread:r:r:r

I was leaning towards the shilala primarily because they come in their own nice sealed bag.

I understand being blocked from everything at work. :td
I just happen to have special permissions and not to many restrictions :tu

Tyler
08-10-2011, 08:04 AM
No, some guys prefer one over the other. The only reason I went heartfelt really is the price. I believe there might be a slight difference between the two. I believe there is also a third company that makes beads? The name escapes me.

For heartfelt you can buy their mesh bag for a few bucks or just use a pair of your wife/girlfriend/whatever's old panty hose.

gray8188
08-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Those appear to be the 70% Heartfelt beads.

I'd go with the 65% beads over the 70% but some people like their cigars better around 70% so it is all personal preference. If you want the 70% just go with what your local B&M has as they do appear to be the exact same. If you want 65% just order online. They are shipped in a padded envelope priority mail and only take a few days. In all honesty the box would be fine in the cooler without beads while the beads are in transit for a few days. Just don't open the box or if you do just put a moist sponge in the coolidor. This is not really good for long term storage but for the 3 days it takes for the beads to get to you it is no problem.

Excuse my ignorance I'm still learning lol. But what would the advantages be with the 65% over the 70% beads? And anybody recommend a good cooler brand that tends to have a good seal?

gray8188
08-10-2011, 08:10 AM
And say I just put a half pound of beads in there does it matter how many cigars i have in there? I'm kinda slowly building my selection up. And will probably only have a box in there with 20 and maybe another cigar box with some random singles.

BlindedByScience
08-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Most guys tend to overthink this process. I had five coolers up and running before I moved into my cabinet, and this is basically what I did:

1. Buy coole
4. Put beads in cooler
5. Add boxes and a hygro
6. Sit back and relax
A couple of other points;

I would rinse the cooler out with very hot water to help it outgas the plastic a bit. I found that if you rinse it out and let it stand open for a couple days (in the sun helps too) they pretty much lose the plastic smell. Not that I think the smell would be that big of a deal, but some guys really worry about it. I am one of the guys that do not believe the plastic smell will "permeate" your smokes. I had tons of cigars in more than one cooler for years and never had a problem.
I would NOT use chlorine bleach to clean out the cooler...!! Some guys recommend using a weak bleach solution, but I think the use of ANY chlorine in a cigar container is a very bad idea. Chlorine is an incredibly powerful oxidizer and just doesn't strike me as the right stuff for the job. Very hot water, a couple of days to outgas, and you will be good.
I also would NOT line the cooler with any cedar. You'll be occupying valuable humidified space and there is simply no need. Every one of my coolers held humidity flawlessly (and I used Heartfelt beads as well). Use the space for cigars, not linings.
If your cooler isn't full when you start it up, I always had good luck filling the unoccupied space with bubble wrap. No need to humidify airspace that isn't being occupied by cigars, I think.

A very famous cigar cabinet maker once posted that "....anything other than a cooler is an extravagance...." and I have to agree. Coolers are the best storage for the money there is....period.

Good luck - don't worry.....:tu

N.F.H.

WittyUserName
08-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Excuse my ignorance I'm still learning lol. But what would the advantages be with the 65% over the 70% beads? And anybody recommend a good cooler brand that tends to have a good seal?

From what I have gathered based on other responses in this forum it is personal preference.

Tyler
08-10-2011, 08:17 AM

As far as a coolers go I have a Coleman and am really pleased. Like I believe I said before it was $16 for this 48QT. In all honesty just go ahead and buy one like this because a) it is dirt cheap b) you will need a bigger one before you realize. I thought I would never fill this one up and I am almost at maximum capacity.

I have the red but they also make it in the blue as shown here.
http://www.capitolsupply.com/ImageServer.ashx?t=product&h=200&w=200&imageid=CS8175166

If you buy your cooler in person let the lid drop shut from like half way open. If you hear a swoosh when it closes or feel it push air when it shuts closed then it has a good seal. You can also do a dollar bill test I guess but that is more for wooden humidors.

As far as the beads go, the benefit is that with the 65% beads your cigars stay around 63-65% versus the 68-70%. (The ranges are as the beads start to need recharging but in my experience they hold about dead on for a while). Now this next part is just my opinion and I am sure some others agree and some disagree. In my opinion anything above 67% makes my cigars too moist for how I like to smoke them. I prefer around 63% to be honest. So the benefit of 65% beads is that they keep your humidor at a slightly lower humidity. It comes down to personal preference, like I keep repeating like a broken record haha, on how moist you prefer your cigars. Like anything in life people may tell you that one way is the sure way to go and others tell you the exact opposite is the way to go. It ultimately comes down to your preference really. It also isn't that big of a deal as all this makes it seem. :tu Just buy a cooler and some beads and you are set. :tu

CigarNut
08-10-2011, 08:26 AM

...Both websites have a lot of information as to which product is "best". Although I am biased :) both are good products. There is also a lot of info on Cigar Asylum about these products; Search (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/search.php)is your friend :)

BlindedByScience

As has been mentioned, 65% vs. 70% beads is personal preference only. Get a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them what their preferred RH is. You'll probably get answers from 55% to 75%. Most guys run 65% as their set point, which actually means the box will be 63-63%. My cabinet runs about 68% during the summer months. Honestly I can't tell a whole lot of difference....:2
For coolers, I found the type with the "loose" lid, rather than a lid on hinges typically seal better. With these types, if there's a seal issue, you can line the lip of the lid with weatherstripping tape (thin adhesive backed foam) and that will take care of it. I never had to, FWIW.

gray8188
Awesome guys thank you so much for all the quick responses. I'm pretty excited to do this hopefully ill get the cooler this weekend, and I think I'm going to go with the 65% beads. and just one more question is it okay to use trays like the one in this pic :http://www.cigargadget.com/spanish-cedar-cigar-trays/
And does it matter where the beads are placed?

Tyler
08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Trays are perfectly fine and, again in my opinion, actually ideal for singles (most guys use old empty boxes or plastic little bins) but the cedar will probably help with the humidity and add that nice smell. Basically the trays will make it easier, look nicer, and smell better but are not required. Just another add on but I have been thinking of buying some myself. I like seeing my singles as I often forget what I have haha. If they are in old boxes I forget what is in which box and end up taking all of them out and opening them when I go to get a cigar. I recently switched to bins which helps but the ones I have are awkward dimensions for the cooler and don't stack well.

No it doesn't matter too much where the beads are placed really. Some might argue it does but for me it hasn't really changed anything if I move them around inside as I play tetris with the boxes haha. They are on top of the boxes right now though right next to my singles bin and I have had no ill effects.

Boz
08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
As far as a coolers go I have a Coleman and am really pleased. Like I believe I said before it was $16 for this 48QT. In all honesty just go ahead and buy one like this because a) it is dirt cheap b) you will need a bigger one before you realize. I thought I would never fill this one up and I am almost at maximum capacity.

I have the red but they also make it in the blue as shown here.
http://www.capitolsupply.com/ImageServer.ashx?t=product&h=200&w=200&imageid=CS8175166

If you buy your cooler in person let the lid drop shut from like half way open. If you hear a swoosh when it closes or feel it push air when it shuts closed then it has a good seal. You can also do a dollar bill test I guess but that is more for wooden humidors.

As far as the beads go, the benefit is that with the 65% beads your cigars stay around 63-65% versus the 68-70%. (The ranges are as the beads start to need recharging but in my experience they hold about dead on for a while). Now this next part is just my opinion and I am sure some others agree and some disagree. In my opinion anything above 67% makes my cigars too moist for how I like to smoke them. I prefer around 63% to be honest. So the benefit of 65% beads is that they keep your humidor at a slightly lower humidity. It comes down to personal preference, like I keep repeating like a broken record haha, on how moist you prefer your cigars. Like anything in life people may tell you that one way is the sure way to go and others tell you the exact opposite is the way to go. It ultimately comes down to your preference really. It also isn't that big of a deal as all this makes it seem. :tu Just buy a cooler and some beads and you are set. :tu

This is exactly the cooler I have (i got mine from Bass Pro) with 1lbs of 65% heartfelt beads (overkill) and an accurite digital hygrometer from Walmart. I was planning on a nice cabinet but Im more than happy with my cooler setup. :tu

gray8188
08-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Awesome thank you so much guys! I'm in love with the forum already. The responses are so fast. I can't wait to get this done. And ill be sure to post some pics!

Tyler
08-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Awesome thank you so much guys! I'm in love with the forum already. The responses are so fast. I can't wait to get this done. And ill be sure to post some pics!

Haha well we are pretty damn good at enabling, and quick too! Good luck and for sure post up some pictures. You can also check out the show us your humidor thread to see some of the guys setups. But like we have all said just buy a cooler, air it out or whatever, throw some beads in it, put your boxes in and fugetaboutit. :tu

Tyler
08-10-2011, 08:38 AM
This is exactly the cooler I have (i got mine from Bass Pro) with 1lbs of 65% heartfelt beads (overkill) and an accurite digital hygrometer from Walmart. I was planning on a nice cabinet but Im more than happy with my cooler setup. :tu

:r I think with the dimensions we only need like 4oz. That thing must get back to 65% AS you are closing the lid with that amount of beads. :r You can never have too many beads on hand though and now if you buy another cooler you can just do 1/2 and 1/2. :tu Wait I think I should probably get some more beads. Hm..... :noon

BlindedByScience
08-10-2011, 08:41 AM
For singles, I would recommend stopping by your local B&M and picking up a couple nice cedar boxes. Or, PM me with your address and I am sure I can find a couple to send along....:tu

Good luck with your project...!!....if I can pull off five of them, it ain't exactly rocket science.....:D

Cheers - N.F.H.

Boz
08-10-2011, 09:16 AM
:r I think with the dimensions we only need like 4oz. That thing must get back to 65% AS you are closing the lid with that amount of beads. :r You can never have too many beads on hand though and now if you buy another cooler you can just do 1/2 and 1/2. :tu Wait I think I should probably get some more beads. Hm..... :noon

Haha that was pretty much my thinking. Now I have enough beads to spread em out a little bit if need be.

gray8188
08-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Alrite I'm looking at a few coolers at my local wallmart. These are the 2 I'm considering.
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Marine-36-Quart-Cooler/16437965?pos=30
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Island-Breeze-48-Quart-Cooler/16437961
Any thoughts? I like the marine one I think it would be a little easier to kinda hide in my closet and I'm thinking the seal might be better because there meant to not leak or allow odors out.

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Alrite I'm looking at a few coolers at my local wallmart. These are the 2 I'm considering.
Any thoughts? I like the marine one I think it would be a little easier to kinda hide in my closet and I'm thinking the seal might be better because there meant to not leak or allow odors out.

I think the marine cooler is a better unit, but the red one is larger and cheaper.

gray8188
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM
For singles, I would recommend stopping by your local B&M and picking up a couple nice cedar boxes. Or, PM me with your address and I am sure I can find a couple to send along....:tu

Good luck with your project...!!....if I can pull off five of them, it ain't exactly rocket science.....:D

Cheers - N.F.H.

I just might have to take you up on that. Thanks man! This forum gets better amd better lol.

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I just might have to take you up on that. Thanks man! This forum gets better amd better lol.

If you do get some boxes from Notfromhere make sure you get a copy of the CA newsletter, I really learned alot from it.

Tyler
08-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Just NEVER EVER ask for Cigar Asylum stickers or to be added to the newsletter list. :gary :D

If you do get some boxes from Notfromhere make sure you get a copy of the CA newletter, I really learned alot from it.

:sl :sl

gray8188
08-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Lol hmm I'm guessing there's a story to these cigar asylum stickers and newsletter? Lol

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Lol hmm I'm guessing there's a story to these cigar asylum stickers and newsletter? Lol

Yah, there is a CA news letter with tons of good info but you have to request it, just don't "ask" for stickers. You may have to wait a bit until you have access to the newsletter section, unless you ask for it earlier.

You are killing me Wallbright!:r

Tyler
08-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Yah, there is a CA news letter with tons of good info but you have to request it, just don't "ask" for stickers. You may have to wait a bit until you have access to the newsletter section, unless you ask for it earlier.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1088/857449028_c8bbe79fce.jpg

gray8188
08-10-2011, 09:57 AM

That's pretty cool how do you request it? I'm always down for reading and learning stuff.

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1088/857449028_c8bbe79fce.jpg

With one arm around my humidor and one eye on my newsletter, that's how!

Tyler
08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
That's pretty cool how do you request it? I'm always down for reading and learning stuff.

Don't get too excited. This forum is a mean mean mother. I am going to get smacked around for this but use the search function and search CA newsletter. You shall find the information you are looking for.

With one arm around my humidor and one eye on my newsletter, that's how!

:sl :r

T.G
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Do not buy the second one. The Island Breeze coolers leak like sieves. I picked two up last year for like $6 at the end of the year clearance from CVS, neither held humidity for squat. I just use them for food/drinks now since they were worthless for cigar storage.

BlindedByScience
08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Don't get too excited. This forum is a mean mean mother. I am going to get smacked around for this but use the search function and search CA newsletter. You shall find the information you are looking for.
....searching "CA Newsletter" produces 11 pages of threads dating back to 2008. As another new member, I'd appreciate if you could narrow it down, just a bit...I'd like to subscribe, too.....:tu

gray8188
08-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Do not buy the second one. The Island Breeze coolers leak like sieves. I picked two up last year for like $6 at the end of the year clearance from CVS, neither held humidity for squat. I just use them for food/drinks now since they were worthless for cigar storage.

Alrite thanks I guess that ones out of the question. Is the marine one good you think?

gray8188
08-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Alrite thanks ill look that up. And are newbs not supposed to be subscribed to it?

CigarNut
08-10-2011, 10:26 AM

....searching "CA Newsletter" produces 11 pages of threads dating back to 2008. As another new member, I'd appreciate if you could narrow it down, just a bit...I'd like to subscribe, too.....:tu

When you ask for stickers or a newsletter or show pictures of your empty humidor you are asking to be bombed. These guys are just yanking your chain...

If you really want a newsletter -- go for it....

gray8188
08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
When you ask for stickers or a newsletter or show pictures of your empty humidor you are asking to be bombed. These guys are just yanking your chain...

If you really want a newsletter -- go for it....

lol alrite I guess ill hold off for a little bit on the newsletter. But hey my humidor is full that gets me some rep right? Lol.

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
lol alrite I guess ill hold off for a little bit on the newsletter. But hey my humidor is full that gets me some rep right? Lol.

Unless it's because you haven't been smoking them:r

Yes the "newsletter" is kind of a tradition on here, I went through the same confusion you are now going through. Just paying it forward.

T.G
08-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Alrite thanks I guess that ones out of the question. Is the marine one good you think?

I don't have one of the marine ones like you linked to, so I have no personal experience with it to say. I do know that a lot of people use marine coolers successfully, but I don't know if that is the brand that many use or not.

WittyUserName
08-10-2011, 10:43 AM
As I read through this I was getting really excited about this news letter and then as I read on my hopes were and dreams were shot out of the sky. Now I am just a little less confused than I was 5 minutes ago, but it is cool because I am always confused.

BlindedByScience
08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
OK, I get it....let the hazing commence....:D

I don't want stickers and my Staebell is wall to wall full....so while bombs are a nice thought, I sure don't need them. In fact, as a Marine dad, I ask folks to send them to the troops instead of me.

Party on, gentlemen.....N.F.H.

Tyler
08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
As I read through this I was getting really excited about this news letter and then as I read on my hopes were and dreams were shot out of the sky. Now I am just a little less confused than I was 5 minutes ago, but it is cool because I am always confused.

It's a rite of passage. Kind of like snipe hunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

WittyUserName
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
It's a rite of passage. Kind of like snipe hunting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

Oh I am very familiar with the art of snipe hunting. It is a joyous past time of mine, I cannot say my friends feel the same way. :r:r

gray8188
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Yes the "newsletter" is kind of a tradition on here, I went through the same confusion you are now going through. Just paying it forward.

Lol no I try to smoke one every chance I get. And thanks man, I guess I have to take some for being the newb lol.

N2 GOLD
08-10-2011, 11:03 AM

1. Buy coole
4. Put beads in cooler
5. Add boxes and a hygro
6. Sit back and relax

Most guys tend to overthink this process. I had five coolers up and running before I moved into my cabinet, and this is basically what I did:

A couple of other points;

I would rinse the cooler out with very hot water to help it outgas the plastic a bit. I found that if you rinse it out and let it stand open for a couple days (in the sun helps too) they pretty much lose the plastic smell. Not that I think the smell would be that big of a deal, but some guys really worry about it. I am one of the guys that do not believe the plastic smell will "permeate" your smokes. I had tons of cigars in more than one cooler for years and never had a problem.
I would NOT use chlorine bleach to clean out the cooler...!! Some guys recommend using a weak bleach solution, but I think the use of ANY chlorine in a cigar container is a very bad idea. Chlorine is an incredibly powerful oxidizer and just doesn't strike me as the right stuff for the job. Very hot water, a couple of days to outgas, and you will be good.
I also would NOT line the cooler with any cedar. You'll be occupying valuable humidified space and there is simply no need. Every one of my coolers held humidity flawlessly (and I used Heartfelt beads as well). Use the space for cigars, not linings.
If your cooler isn't full when you start it up, I always had good luck filling the unoccupied space with bubble wrap. No need to humidify airspace that isn't being occupied by cigars, I think.

A very famous cigar cabinet maker once posted that "....anything other than a cooler is an extravagance...." and I have to agree. Coolers are the best storage for the money there is....period.

Good luck - don't worry.....:tu

N.F.H.

Personally, I think this would be the best way to execute your ultimate goal. Which would be keeping your cigars FRESH... I have two cabinets that are filled & 5 desk tops. But, now I'm looking toget the BIGGEST bang for my buck so I'm leaning towards Koolers now. It will do the exact same thing for alot LESS. Sure, it may not be as PRETTY but the ultimate goal is FRESH cigars not pretty storage. :2

Smoke on... -(P

CigarNut
08-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Yes the "newsletter" is kind of a tradition on here, I went through the same confusion you are now going through. Just paying it forward.I would not go so far as to call it a tradition. It's hardly been around that long...

It does serve a purpose though -- all banter aside I think many newbies feel more a part of CA after they receive their newsletter...

Blak Smyth
08-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I would not go so far as to call it a tradition. It's hardly been around that long...

It does serve a purpose though -- all banter aside I think many newbies feel more a part of CA after they receive their newsletter...

Fair enough.

I am going to look at coolers this weekend, I had been delaying the process simply because I thought they were more expensive.

gray8188
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I might try to go look at some today. I'm leaning towards that marine one and 65% beads.

gray8188
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Well picked up my cooler its a 48 qt igloo marine cooler. It seemed to seal okay in the store I hope it hold humidity well.
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq206/Graystenzel/IMAG0397.jpg
And I picked up a cheap Wal-Mart hygrometer for 7$ figure it would be okay for a little while. And I'm testing its accuracy now.
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq206/Graystenzel/IMAG0400.jpg
Next up is the beads and then buying cigars to fill it.

kickerb
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Can we get an update on your project status?

irratebass
09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Gray that hygrometer is the same one I have as well.....it works great! Nice looking cooler.....soon my brothers, soon.