PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Question v. trading

thechrisdotcom
08-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I have a question about shipping to others....

So I've gotten stuff sent to me from USPS in those flat rate boxes before. And I've been given the tracking number, but they've never worked for me when I look them up or the package isn't updated on it's current location.

We're supposed to supply the tracking number to others when we trade correct? Plus I think you have to pay more for the tracking feature, is that right?

I haven't shipped before with the flat rate stuff, so just curious how it works.

Ogre
08-06-2011, 12:11 PM
The cheapest way to ship is to set up an account online with USPS. shipping is cheaper and tracking is free. The post office is a little slow updating their site, so tracking can be a little slow. Tracking is used to confirm the package has shipped and received. Hope this helps.

pnoon
08-06-2011, 12:12 PM
It is a common misconception that it is a tracking number. It is not. It is a DC or Delivery Confirmation number.
It is common practice and a good idea for a DC to be provided in a transaction. But it is not required. If you buy your postage at the PO, I believe the DC costs $0.50. If you print your labels and pay online the DC is free.

AlohaStyle
08-06-2011, 12:12 PM
USPS Delivery Confirmation isn't really a tracking number, it only is supposed to show when it was accepted at the post office and delivered, not the actual tracking.

It costs around $.70 to add the label or it's free if you type up the address label online and print it out.

thechrisdotcom
08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
oh ok, cool. thanks.

RGD.
08-06-2011, 12:55 PM
And also Chris - you can order the boxes for free online when you set up an account.

Ron

thechrisdotcom
08-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I ordered some boxes. So they're on their way. But I really wanted to send my friends stuff out last night so I picked one up on the post office. At least they had a kiosk to print the label and pay so I didn't have to stay in line and wait.

I love the question on the screen about if it's alcohol, tobacco, etc. No Mr. Kiosk, that is not what I'm shipping. hahaha

I think it's pretty generous of the PO to give those boxes out for free.

thechrisdotcom
08-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Do you guys insure your packages?

Because when it asks about if your contents is anything you're not supposed to send, do you still insure it? Because what if something happens and then they say, "well you're not supposed to ship those in the first place."

Emjaysmash
08-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I dont ever insure my packages unless its something really valuable.

Ogre
08-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I ordered some boxes. So they're on their way. But I really wanted to send my friends stuff out last night so I picked one up on the post office. At least they had a kiosk to print the label and pay so I didn't have to stay in line and wait.

I love the question on the screen about if it's alcohol, tobacco, etc. No Mr. Kiosk, that is not what I'm shipping. hahaha

I think it's pretty generous of the PO to give those boxes out for free.

You can ship cigars. The post office does allow cigarette to be mailed.

thechrisdotcom
08-06-2011, 04:36 PM
You can ship cigars. The post office does allow cigarette to be mailed.

Oh I wasn't sure. Some question thing came up on the kiosk and asked if it was cigars, cigarettes, liquor, and a bunch of other stuff. Wasn't sure if that was a list of stuff you can't send or it's something you had to sign for. I just said no and kept going. haha.

Angry_Pirate
08-07-2011, 01:20 AM
This is good to know the post office is such a pain.

jsnake
08-07-2011, 01:29 AM
You would be surprised by how many USPS employees have no idea what is okay to ship and what is not. No matter what they tell you shipping cigars is okay.