PDA

View Full Version : Alaska cruise who's been on one?

Angry_Pirate
08-04-2011, 02:01 AM
My wife and I are going to book an Alaska cruise soon and I was wanting opinions on cruise lines, if they are cigar friendly and sell cigars and best excursions. I think we will leave from Seattle, 10-14 day cruise. I was also told that the best time to go is at the end of the cruise season as items are discounted due to the season ending, don't know if this is true or not but it makes sense. Thanks for any feedback!!

longknocker
08-04-2011, 04:14 AM
My wife and I are going to book an Alaska cruise soon and I was wanting opinions on cruise lines, if they are cigar friendly and sell cigars and best excursions. I think we will leave from Seattle, 10-14 day cruise. I was also told that the best time to go is at the end of the cruise season as items are discounted due to the season ending, don't know if this is true or not but it makes sense. Thanks for any feedback!!

We Went The Last Week Of August & The Weather Was Cold & Rainy Every Day.:td June Is Supposedly Bad With All The Mosquitos. I Would Recommend The Last Of July Or The First Of August. I Smoked Cigars Everywhere In Alaska & On The Balcony Of The Cruise Ship. Check The Newer Restrictions On Your Cruise Ship; I Understand They're Not As "Cigar Friendly" As They Used To Be. Have Fun!:)

Coach Deg
08-04-2011, 05:18 AM
I went on Princess the first week in June. Small bar to smoke and my balcony. Could not buy a cigar on ship. We did the 10 day because my parents could not do the walking involved with the 14day. I hear the 14 day is great. I did a helicopter ride on to a glacier(very cool), whale watching( seen more on cruise), dog sledding( neat, only time Mosquitos were really bad), old train ride into some mountain to Canada( was ok), and a trip to a Glacier( watching it like a waterfall).

Overall trip was great. I went from Anchohrage down to Vancouver. Had a few sticks for 10 days. Got to Vancouver bought a few CC's for when I got home. Awesome trip. Will do the 14day when my daughter gets about 12-13 and will really remember it.

Ashcan Bill
08-04-2011, 10:16 PM
The weather up there is unpredictable. We went in the middle of summer and got rained on almost every day. :D I'd just book whenever you can get a good deal, take warm jackets, and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. All the lines offer plenty of excursions.

As far as cigars (and smoking in general), the rules change all the time. Check the line policy before you book. I usually look at a ship's deck plan and see if they have a dedicated cigar bar. I've met great people in the cigar bars. Even if a line has a decent smoking policy, not all their ships may have a cigar bar. As an example, NCL's Star had a great cigar bar I spent a lot of time in over several cruises. Even smoked one in that lounge once with the Captain. So what did NCL do - during a dry dock they ripped it out to make room for an art auction. I won't be cruising on the Star again. :(

And I take my own cigars. Less expensive, and I can smoke what I enjoy versus what's available.

ysr_racer
08-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Been to Alaska many times. It ALWAYS rains.

Angry_Pirate
08-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys!! Lots of stuff to point us in the right direction. I'm off every year for 2 weeks for the fourth of July we will probably go then. We wanted to go in August-September because my wife is finishing her M.S in nursing and it could be like a celebration cruise. Keep the info coming :tu

ysr_racer
08-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Here's a link to some pictures I took: http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2007.htm