PDA

View Full Version : Online Stores

acarr
11-24-2008, 07:01 AM
What online stores ship with humidity control? I know when I ordered from Fullers Pullers and New Havana, they protected the cigars. However, many of the others seem to just ship them out. I am a little worried about that living in Arizona with less than 10% humidity most of the time.

md4958
11-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Most of the shops I have orderd from will always send them in some sort of ziplock baggie. Which ive heard you could store a cigar in for weeks with little ill effects.

The only one ive ever had shipped with a humi-pillow is Taboo, and it was on a larger order... not on the smaller ones.

If you call Rob (taboo) and ask him for a humi-pack im sure he would oblige, perhaps for a small fee, they are usually only about a buck anyway.

dunng
11-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Stay away from the major retailers (CI, Holts, and Famous) then... they do not ship with humidity control as far as I know. :ss

acarr
11-24-2008, 07:07 AM
How long can the cigars go without any type of humidity device if they are shipped in just the original box with the plastic around it?

Footbag
11-24-2008, 07:21 AM
I buy from NHC and they use the humidity pillow as you suggest, but unless it's sitting in a warehouse for a long holiday/weekend I cannot see it helping much. Sure it's nice to get an extra pillow, but it is packed on the outside of the box.
I think this would be more helpful for overseas shipping.

awsmith4
11-24-2008, 07:33 AM
I feel that the cigars will be fine for at least a week or more in a zip lock in the mail. Most retailers over humidify as it is so a little time without humidity is probably ok. With that said I (almost :D) always let my packages rest in my humi after they have traveled before I light them up.

Footbag
11-24-2008, 07:37 AM
I feel that the cigars will be fine for at least a week or more in a zip lock in the mail. Most retailers over humidify as it is so a little time without humidity is probably ok. With that said I (almost :D) always let my packages rest in my humi after they have traveled before I light them up.

LOL! I almost always let them rest too! Wait... How often is almost, because sometimes I just cannot wait?

dcamacho
11-24-2008, 07:41 AM
either way, u should always let them rest for a while before smoking. i usually let them rest for 2 weeks ... its hard, i know. but so worth it ;)

68TriShield
11-24-2008, 07:42 AM

This man is correct.
If you want to stress over what amounts to nothing,go ahead.
Cigars should cause relaxation not worry :)

pnoon
11-24-2008, 07:46 AM

:tpd:

Minimum 2 week rest for me. So that the cigars acclimate to my storage conditions.

barbourjay
11-24-2008, 08:17 AM
:tpd:

Minimum 2 week rest for me. So that the cigars acclimate to my storage conditions.

totally agree with that. the cigars are never the same without this adjustment. i've been severely dissapointed with blends because i rushed them instead of waiting for them to even out for a few days.

MithShrike
11-24-2008, 08:33 AM
We will put Water Pillows in on request. We have only had two customers complain about dry cigars and that was in the middle of summer shipping across country. For them we now include Water Pillows by default.

Whee
11-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Cigar.com has always shipped with a water pillow.

hotreds
11-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Really shouldn't be an issue. Luckily the USPS and other package shippers are quite good in the US, and with their speed cigars should not go bad during their trip from the seller to your door. I agree that one should let the newbies rest in your humi for a week or two b4 smoking to let them stabilize.

bonjing
11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
so paying for overnighte shipping is not necessary then?

SonsofClubDeck
11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
CI ships in ziplocks and I've never had a problem. I'm more scared of the Tobacco Road Outlets around. It takes a lot of lovin' to bring those back to life.

md4958
11-24-2008, 10:11 AM
so paying for overnighte shipping is not necessary then?

not im my opinion... any that ship USPS priority will arrive in 2-3 days anyway.

UPS ground usually arrives in 3 or 4 days also

hotreds
11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
not im my opinion... any that ship USPS priority will arrive in 2-3 days anyway.

UPS ground usually arrives in 3 or 4 days also

Ditto- unless you need 'em maņana for a herf or something, not necessary!

md4958
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
oh, a little tip for ya.

If they give you the option, and its the same price, I always pick USPS priority, espically close to the weekend. Order on Friday with USPS priority Shipping, and youll have them Monday (most of the time, sometimes even order Sat and get them Mon!!)

USPS ships (and delivers) on Saturday, UPS and FedEx dont (at least I dont think they do)

bonjing
11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
good to know.

bonjing
11-24-2008, 10:29 AM
the reason why i ask is that my experience, with UPS ground, when ordering other things online is that it takes up to 8 days.

also i agree about the USPS option. not only does it arrive in 2 - 3 days but is usually a cheaper option.

auburnfan1980
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
The only problem I've ever experienced with shipping from Cigar.com or CI/C-bid is that if I try to smoke them straight outta the box, the wrapper seems more prone to come unraveled or crack. This is probably due moreso to the temperature change from the shipper to destination, however.

Jason

Jdbwolverines
11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I've never really had a problem with any being too dry. I think most the major retailers actually keep their warehouses a little on the damp side, so when they do ship out they won't dry out or if people order from them just for a special occasion or something and don't really know a whole lot about cigar storage and leave them out for week or something they will still be ok. just give them a rest for a while once they arrive and you will be fine.

Going back to your original question though, I know that Tampa sweethearts put Boveda packs in with their orders.

Commander Quan
11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Check out TNTcigars.com I'm not sure where they ship from but most of their stores are in AZ it shouldn't take that long for you to get you stuff from them.

Cigary
11-24-2008, 02:25 PM

I agree with this totally as this is what I do without fail. The little suckers need to nap in your humi before you smoke em anyway.

Texan in Mexico
11-24-2008, 04:44 PM
As has been mentioned - the big retailers don't do this - I have only received this from Rob and Kioki.

For most of you it probably doesn't make much difference but if your shipment takes more than three or four days I think it is well worth it.

Mine take 7 to 10 days nowadays and the water pillow at least makes me feel better.