PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations

fritz43096
07-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Looking to try some new sticks that I haven't tried before. Not having a cigar shop nearby, I usually have to buy online which means 5-packs more often than not which can be an expensive way to give something a try.

That being said I'm looking for some recommendations.....anyone?

kelmac07
07-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Kind of hard to answer when we don't know your palate. Do you enjoy strong/medium/mild sticks? What flavors do you enjoy when smoking?

Try entering the Newbie Sampler Trade II...great way to sample some different sticks. :tu

pnoon
07-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Kind of hard to answer when we don't know your palate. Do you enjoy strong/medium/mild sticks? What flavors do you enjoy when smoking?

Try entering the Newbie Sampler Trade II...great way to sample some different sticks. :tu

Good advice.

Also, there are a ton of reviews here, cheap stick threads, and other resources discussing cigars. A bit of reading will go a long way in helping you decide on some smokes.

NCRadioMan
07-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Buy and try everything. It takes a long time (years) but it's a fun ride.

Ferrari5180
07-30-2011, 12:00 PM
For a cheap stick, I enjoyed smoking a Carlos Torano Virtuoso.

dwoodward
07-30-2011, 12:02 PM
If you have a small humidor, try something like this:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/spec_wkly.asp?slide=1

N2 GOLD
07-30-2011, 01:35 PM
You can also try something like this:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/connecticut+palooza+no.+01+cigars/item+29949

fritz43096
07-30-2011, 01:42 PM
I have joined in to the newbie trade program. Can't wait.

I'm not looking for cigars that neccessarily match up with what I like so much as I want to know what others have found that they like just to kind of compare tastes I guess.

I've read a lot of the reviews and they're definitely helpful and even entertaining.

For the record, I like a mild cigar almost as often as I like a strong cigar. Depends on the time of day, have I eaten etc. If it has bold flavor to offer I'd try it regardless of "strength". Favorite notes are coffee, cocoa, pepper.

This wasn't a scientific question so much as a social one.

markem
07-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Hiya, Brent! I don't smoke a large selection of NCs anymore, but when I did, I really liked this site for samplers.

http://www.newhavanacigars.com/

Limited marcas, but many people here like those sticks, so if something looks interesting to you, asking about the sticks in the sampler would produce some very good input.

The NST is amazing and more then worth it both for the stick selection and the many fine friends that you will make. :tu

Stinky
07-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Remember the old 'box pass' threads in the past? It's a great way to see/try new cigars and share with other like minded BOTL. Put it out there . . . fun way to try new & different sticks. Trading with other Cigar Asylum Inmates is also a great way to see the world of cigars! Also; various cigar sites have different samplers to introduce an array of cigars.

neoflex
07-31-2011, 07:17 AM
I'll give you a couple quick recommendations on each spectrum. For mild I often recommend the Perdomo Champagne and the Legendario Connecticut from Camacho. They are both mild but still have enough flavor to keep you interested and not feel like your just sucking on warm air. For medium I tend to gravitate to the PDR Capa Oscuro, Tatuaje Red Labels(Havana VI line) or the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial. For full body smokes lately I tend to gravitate to Liga 9s and T-52s, La Sirena(blended by Don Pepin for Miami Cigar) and a nice budget smoke in the full range is the Cuba Libre One.
As mentioned before there are a lot of great cigars out there and part of the fun is trying to get to them all. It's nice to have your regulars or fall back smokes but I always enjoy trying something new in between.

fritz43096
07-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks all for the advice/recommendations so far..