PDA

View Full Version : What should a first timer try out?

MrOneEyedBoh
07-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I finally have some money that became available to spend. My humidor is maxxed out, so why not beer? I've had a few flying dogs, magic hats, smuttynose,sierra Nevada's... Since I'm so new to the crafted beers, I'm down to try anything. I'm not sure what I favor, so why not mock up a sampler? What are some good ones to give a shot that would introduce me into certain styles? Forgive my ignorance towards this, but Im looking to get all the help I can. I did like the smuttynose finestkind.

Bill86
07-29-2011, 11:28 PM
IMHO, take it for what it's worth....

Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA, Midas Touch, Palo Santo, World Wide Stout, Black & Blue, Red & White, Squall IPA, 120 Minute IPA
Stone's - Russian Imperial Stout, 10.10.10 Vertical Epic, Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale, Ruination IPA, Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.
Rochefort - Trappistes 8, Trappistes 10
Three Floyds - Robert the Bruce, Dreadnaught
Oskar Blues - Ten Fidy
Avery - Mephistopheles, The Czar
Schneider - Aventinus
Ayinger - Celebrator Doppelbock

Those are some of my favorite beers.

Allow me to explain as yes those are all high gravity beers that might be hard for a beginner to try...

I'm figuring if you try one of the "better", I guess, beers right off the back that'll hook you into the world of craft beer. Or at least that's what happened with me.

msgtusaf
07-30-2011, 03:10 AM
At this time of year you will find a lot of summer ales, wheat beers, and IPA/PAs. As we move into fall and winter you will begin to see availability of pumkin ales, winter ales, and stouts/porters. So, beer is seasonal and the types of ales you will find is somewhat cyclical.

Here are some of my favorites, by style.....

Stouts - Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout
Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Southern Tier Jah-va Imperial Coffee Stout
Southern Tier Mokha Imperial Stout
Southern Tier Choklat Imperial Stout
Lost Abbey Serpents Stout

IPAs - Founder's Centennial IPA
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
COAST HopArt IPA
Mikkellar 10
Blue Point Hoptical Illusion
Bear Rupublic Racer 5
Port Brewing Wipeout IPA
Victory Hop Devil

Belgian - Westvleteren 8 or 12
Rochefort 6 or 10
Chimay Blue Grand Reserve
Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw/Blue
Lost Abbey Ten Commandments
North Coast Brother Thelonius
Delirium Nocturnum
Russian River Damnation
Victory V12

There are many other styles but those are 3 of my favorites. Also, 3 of my favorite U.S. craft brewers are Founders, Lost Abbey, and Southern Tier. I've never had a bad beer from any of them.

Good luck on your journey into craft beer. A most enjoyable future awaits you.

newcigarz
07-30-2011, 05:34 AM
I finally have some money that became available to spend. My humidor is maxxed out, so why not beer? I've had a few flying dogs, magic hats, smuttynose,sierra Nevada's... Since I'm so new to the crafted beers, I'm down to try anything. I'm not sure what I favor, so why not mock up a sampler? What are some good ones to give a shot that would introduce me into certain styles? Forgive my ignorance towards this, but Im looking to get all the help I can. I did like the smuttynose finestkind.

I would need to know where you are located to more accurately recommend some beers to try. A lot of beers have a limited distribution and I would hate to send you on a wild goose chase. :2

MrOneEyedBoh
07-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Oh ok haah sorry

Im in Maryland.

hammondc
07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Oh ok haah sorry

Im in Maryland.

In that case, go to Rehoboth Beach, DE and make me incredibly jealous by going to the Dogfish Head Pub.

MrOneEyedBoh
07-30-2011, 10:56 PM
So this is what Ive went with. I did look for some on the list, but my local store that has craft beers ( there isn't many stores that carry them near me ) doesnt have much. Most on the list, they were out of stock... Wish I could find that 90m IPA from DFH....

So anyway

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qis8xs.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/sl333s.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/z8owk.jpg

msgtusaf
07-31-2011, 04:26 AM
IMO you have made some very good choices of ales to try. I agree with Chip that you should visit the Dogfish Head Pub/Brewery near Rehobeth. They are one of the largest and most well-known of all the American craft breweries.

newcigarz
07-31-2011, 05:10 AM
Nice p/u. Some good ones there. :tu

Average Joe
07-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Wish I could find that 90m IPA from DFH....

Where is Maryland are you? I know 1 place in White Marsh to get it and 1 in Mount Airy. 90 Minute IPA only comes in 4 packs and run ~ $12 - $15 for the 4 pack.

BTW... congrats on your marriage to Mrs. Utz.