PDA

View Full Version : Relighting Question

Jon11
07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
How long after a cigar goes out in the middle of a smoke do you have to relight before it starts to taste nasty? Could you leave it for an hour or so before relighting or is that too long?

MrOneEyedBoh
07-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Initially for the frist two-three puffs you may taste some harshness. Well the 1st one for sure. But after that it wouldnt be bad for the next few.

NCRadioMan
07-28-2011, 11:32 AM
During the process of relighting, you will need to purge the cigar. That is, just after it is lit, with the lighters flame at the end of the cigar blow out through the cigar to burn off the nasty bits and gasses that will have accumulated. Watch out, the flame can be big. Keep blowing until the flame dies.

You can also purge if the cigar ever gets bitter. It will help.

:2

shilala
07-28-2011, 11:38 AM
If you are letting a cigar go out on purpose, purge it (blow all the smoke out of the cigar) really well before you let it go out, then make sure the burning end is sitting higher than the end that was in your mouth when you put it down in the ashtray or whatever.
That'll keep it from getting gross for a good, long time. I've picked up a cigar that sat in an ashtray on the (covered) porch for a couple weeks or more and it was still fine.
This also works with cigarettes and was taught to me by a cigarette smoker.

jjirons69
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
If you are letting a cigar go out on purpose, purge it (blow all the smoke out of the cigar) really well before you let it go out, then make sure the burning end is sitting higher than the end that was in your mouth when you put it down in the ashtray or whatever.
That'll keep it from getting gross for a good, long time. I've picked up a cigar that sat in an ashtray on the (covered) porch for a couple weeks or more and it was still fine.

My mom used to smoke on a single cigarette all day. Used to make me want to hurl!

Good advise though, Scott and Greg. Purging is underrated.

Flounder
07-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Good to know, I never knew to use the lighter while purging, I would just blow out the end...

CigarNut
07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Good to know, I never knew to use the lighter while purging, I would just blow out the end...
Blowing through the cigar is the most important part...

You don't have to use the lighter -- it just makes a pretty flame :)

Stinky
07-30-2011, 11:57 PM

I find this very interesting. Thanks for posting. I recall reading about this years ago in a book written by Zino Davidoff published 1967. FYI: XiKar introduced a car ashtray this year which is designed to hold the cigar straight up & down with the burn (cherry) down inside the ash-can. Seems the heat & smoke going up into the cigar could ruin it. What do you think? Does it matter to you?