PDA

View Full Version : Cigars in the Summer and Pipes in the Winter?

Tyler
07-21-2011, 01:34 AM
My girlfriend asked me today why I smoke cigars in the summer and pipes in the winter. I never really thought of what I smoke when but subconsciously I have switched from pipes to cigars for the summer. This past winter I basically had a pipe in my hand all day but now its a cigar.

I suppose it has to do with pipes keeping my hands warm in the winter and how cigars can crack if the temperatures are too low maybe I am over-thinking again haha. I am pretty sure the only reason she asked me was because at-least with pipes it was super cheap haha.

I was just wondering, am I the only one that does this?

icehog3
07-21-2011, 01:37 AM
I do cigars in the summer, cigars in the winter, and cigars in between.

Tyler
07-21-2011, 01:47 AM
I do cigars in the summer, cigars in the winter, and cigars in between.

:r Sounds great to me lol. I still smoke cigars occasionally in the winter but for some reason it's about 80% pipes.

icehog3
07-21-2011, 01:49 AM
:r Sounds great to me lol. I still smoke cigars occasionally in the winter but for some reason it's about 80% pipes.

Yeah, during the winter I do tone it down to about 100% cigars. :D

Tyler
07-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Yeah, during the winter I do tone it down to about 100% cigars. :D

Haha might want to up that a bit. Maybe 200% or more. Don't want your health to get bad.

Bill86
07-21-2011, 02:01 AM
:r :r :r

I'm with Tom, always cigars. Never thought about getting into pipes. Too complicated IMHO.

Dunkel
07-21-2011, 02:54 AM
I tend to only smoke a nice briar in the fall and winter. Not sure why, but it just seems right. Maybe it's the warmth of the briar in my hand on a chilly day.

Ferrari5180
07-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I smoke cigars in both the summer and winter. However, I prefer the summer because I can enjoy them outside. In the winter I need to smoke them indoors because it is too cold, making it somewhat less enjoyable in my own opinion.

Emjaysmash
07-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I smoke a lot in the summer and a lot less in the winter. That's the only seasonal habit I have.

So far this summer has been 50% pipes, 50% cigars.

pektel
07-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I smoke cigars in both the summer and winter. However, I prefer the summer because I can enjoy them outside. In the winter I need to smoke them indoors because it is too cold, making it somewhat less enjoyable in my own opinion.

Same here. And since I have little ones around, if I do smoke inside, it's always under the kitchen ventilation hood. WAY less enjoyable than sitting on my deck looking at the lake.

alfredo_buscatti
08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Over 9 years I smoked the pipe almost exclusively, maybe a half-dozen cigars during this span. Then last September I switched unaccountably to cigars. I still smoke a pipe occasionally, and there are periods when I smoke them a bowl a day.

dccraft
08-15-2011, 07:00 PM
I tend to only smoke a nice briar in the fall and winter. Not sure why, but it just seems right. Maybe it's the warmth of the briar in my hand on a chilly day.

I tend to smoke my briars in the fall & winter as well. I have to agree with Doug (me?) that I like the feel and the different aromas that pipe tobacco has during a crisp fall evening. I'm still about 80% cigars & 20% pipes though.

Hippiebrian
08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
I smoke cigars year round. Of course, I live in southern Ca., so can go outside and smoke year round. I used to smoke a pipe, back in the 70's. Never owned a briar, but used to make a lot of them out of plumbing supplies and little screens. Still, I never have bought pipe tobacco...

DaBear
08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Since I'm allowed to smoke my pipes inside and its too cold to go out for a cigar in the winter, I smoke almost exclusively pipes in the winter. Cigar scent sticks around way too long indoors so I seldom can get away with it. Haven't smoked a pipe since my cruise in June

Brad2064
08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
I smoke cigars year round, but in the winter I tend to bring my pipe into mix a bit. Not sure why I do this but the change is nice.

Blak Smyth
08-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Why did you change your name?
I might get into smoking pipe, kinda nice to be able to take 10 minutes and enjoy a quick smoke.

Apoco
08-16-2011, 06:39 AM
...kinda nice to be able to take 10 minutes and enjoy a quick smoke.

This is why I smoke my pipe the majority of the time. It is a nice change of pace, sure...but if I have an hour or 2 to smoke I'm reaching for a cigar.

I also like to have my pipe in the car. Less air out time is needed.
Posted via Mobile Device