PDA

View Full Version : Help With Humidor

Tyler
07-20-2011, 06:24 PM
My girlfriend is house sitting for a family friend and I noticed that the father has a small desktop humidor. I opened it up to inspect his tastes and I looked on in horror. The cigars are bone dry. He has a pretty good collection of NC Partagas, Cohiba, Macanudo, and others. Luckily there is not any cracking except for on one cigar, a Davidoff. :td Here is a picture of the 25-50 count humidor.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/reptman34/41cb89d4.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/reptman34/2cf9947f.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/reptman34/fd105b76.jpg

Have any of you guys heard of G Watts humidors?

I was going to try the dollar bill seal trick later and see if it has a good seal. If it turns out the seal is good then I am thinking of giving him my little humidification device I used in my desktop with other little ones as Bill just sent me a heartfelt tube I am going to use.

http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/a0/19/b8/94943697-149x149-0-0_Xikar+Xikar+Crystal+4+Oz+Clear+Humidifier+Xikar. jpg

Do you guys think this would be big enough to keep it humidified? It is currently only humidified by a big clay thing that I don't think does anything useful.

Tyler
07-20-2011, 06:26 PM
I also can't tell if this is mold that dried out, severe plume, or dust on these two cigars. It is not on any of the other ones. It looks much worse in person.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/reptman34/19a3a0d4.jpg

Anyways, they come back in a week and I would love to surprise him with a functioning humidor. I don't know if he even smokes but it is sad to see the sticks all dried out. They aren't to the point of cracking so that leads me to believe that he does smoke.

Devanmc
07-20-2011, 06:27 PM
yes but id re-season it to be sure.

i would, if aloud, move the cigars to your proper humidor(assuming so). for a few weeks while you re-season his.

looks moldy?

Tyler
07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I am hoping that I can season it and have everything ready when they get back. It looks like mold to me too but the cigars are bone dry so maybe it is dried mold?

Devanmc
07-20-2011, 06:35 PM
i dont think mold really dries. maybe wipe your finger across and see what happens?

Tyler
07-20-2011, 07:30 PM
i dont think mold really dries. maybe wipe your finger across and see what happens?

Thanks alot I have aids now.

Tyler
07-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Anyone else want to chime in?

nofeardiver
07-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Defiate with the xikar humidification, I would wipe it out, maybe even with a damp cloth damp not soaked, just lightly wipe it down, just to kinda kick start the seasoning part you could move the cigars to new storage and stick a bowl of warm water in there for a few days, and then move everyone back with you device! As far if that is mold hard to tell from the pics, nice looking humi though!

T.G
07-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Unless he asked you to revive them, I wouldn't mess with them.

If he does tell you to revive them, then just stick a humidifier in the humidor and close the lid. The humidor will season and cigars will all come up slowly together, which will help to keep them from suffering damage.

But really, I wouldn't mess with them. You're just his house sitter's B/F afterall. Him coming back to her letting you screw with his stuff is a pretty severe violation of the trust he has placed in her. This could create a serious issue for her and possibly even you too.

Close the lid, walk away.

:2

audio1der
07-21-2011, 09:18 AM

If he does tell you to revive them, then just stick a humidifier in the humidor and close the lid. The humidor will season and cigars will all come up slowly together, which will help to keep them from suffering damage.

But really, I wouldn't mess with them. You're just his house sitter's B/F afterall. Him coming back to her letting you screw with his stuff is a pretty severe violation of the trust he has placed in her. This could create a serious issue for her and possibly even you too.

+1 It means you opened the lid to HIS humi to begin with.

kickerb
07-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Ugh, yeah. I would be PISSED if someone just opened up my humidor without asking or me knowing. Well, that goes for any item in my house. Not cool.

I would have waited for the father's return and then asking to see his collection. Most likely it's not going to be a problem that you did open it, but you never know.

pektel
07-21-2011, 09:34 AM
I agree with Adam. I see the trust issue they are talking about, and even though your intentions are good, someone could mistake your actions as untrustworthy. YOU know you only mean to help. But HE may see it differently.

Now, since it's a family friend, it depends on how close they are, and what the general "feel" of the relationship is to make a determined decision about what to do. But, we don't know the situation. Therefore, we must advise on the side of caution, and recommend nothing be done to remedy his cigar issue.

Would I be pissed if a family friend's BF opened my humi when they were housesitting for me? Maybe a little, but after knowing they were actually into the hobby seriously, and not just poking around my stuff, I would not be mad in the slightest. BUT, I am not him.

baddevildog82
07-21-2011, 09:34 AM

+1. I understand your curiosity and why you would want to help, but unless the humidor was specifically listed as an item for your GF to take care of, I would leave it alone.

OLS
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
What is he hiding in his underwear drawer??

I am surprised you would think to further mess with his stuff to the point of "fixing" his humidor. None of that is
any of your affair, as near as I can tell. And to take PICTURES of it? :sh

Tyler
07-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Well I can see how it would be awkward if it was a random family but I have known them my whole life. They are best friends with my parents and practically family. I used to babysit their kids when I was younger and we went on joint family vacations. I am going to hold off on doing anything and just ask him about it when they get back. The humidor is sitting out in plain sight so I didn't violate his privacy. It is sitting when you first walk in the door where it is painfully obvious. I don't think he would care anyways. As far as the picture goes it was just on my phone so it's not like I set up a photoshoot lol. I just wanted to see about helping him revive the dried up sticks as he has some really expensive ones that have dried out. :tu

pnoon
07-21-2011, 02:18 PM
I agree with everyone else who advise against doing aything. Closets and chests of drawers are in plain sight. Do you think you don't violate someone's privacy by opening them up?

NUNYA
Posted via Mobile Device

replicant_argent
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't know if he even smokes

I have known them my whole life. They are best friends with my parents and practically family.

Think about what you said here, leave his things alone. Advice given, and worth the :2 you didn't pay for it.

CigarNut
07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with everyone else who advise against doing aything. Closets and chests of drawers are in plain sight. Do you think you don't violate someone's privacy by opening them up?

NUNYA
Posted via Mobile DeviceI know that I personally would not like it. It's why we don't have housesitters outside of immediate family. And then, when my son is watching the house I lock my humidors. Not that he could not get into it if he wanted, but he needs an obvious reminder to stay out of somethings... :)

Tyler
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Think about what you said here, leave his things alone. Advice given, and worth the :2 you didn't pay for it.

Well I know he smokes cigars but I don't know how frequently. He has only smoked a few times in front of me and we don't hangout everyday so I have no way of telling.

I don't know. I think that the cigar forum people, us, are a different breed. To most of those here cigars are almost holy and if someone touches your sh!t you freak out lol. Idk it's not that big of a deal to me. I wouldn't care if someone came in and looked at my stash as long as they didn't take anything or hurt them. If the cigars were on the verge of being ruined and they saved them they I would be grateful. This is only a 25 count humidor we are talking about here. It is not like it is some of the 3000+ count humidors. I planned on asking him about it all next week though when they get back. I think you guys have blown this way out of proportion.

massphatness
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
I think you guys have blown this way out of proportion.

I think you didn't get the response you were expecting.

Tyler
07-21-2011, 02:57 PM
I think you didn't get the response you were expecting.

No, I expected for you guys to give me grief. I decided before though, after I posted and really thought about it for a bit, that I was going to wait to ask him when he gets back or offer him one of my smokes so it comes up in conversation before offering to help. I don't think he would mind but it is better to be safe than sorry. No-one answered my questions though besides Devan.

pnoon
07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
It's not about the cigars and humidor. It is about trust and respect. Things that are very important to many of us. If that is "blown out of proportion", we're guilty as charged.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tyler
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I guess if no-one is going to answer my questions you can lock the thread up. No hard feelings it is just getting cyclical.

bvilchez
07-21-2011, 03:12 PM
You're question was answered AND other fellow inmates here gave you some advice as well. Be lucky they gave you the advice they did.

Imagine if they didn't advise you and you never thought of the trust and respect factor. Now the owner comes home and he thinks trust and respect were violated from the beginning. Now what?

Take it for what it's worth but others are just trying to look out for you, your g/f, and the homeowner.:2

Tyler
07-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I came to the conclusion before reading the inmates posts. My girlfriend and I talked about it and she suggested I wait until he got home so I could offer him some of my nice sticks to smoke if he wanted. I guess I am lucky for being disrespected. You are right.

bvilchez
07-21-2011, 03:16 PM
I came to the conclusion before reading the inmates posts. My girlfriend and I talked about it and she suggested I wait until he got home so I could offer him some of my nice sticks to smoke if he wanted. I guess I am lucky for being disrespected. You are right.

Who in this forum disrespected you? Please point out the brother from out of the 12 that responded disrespected you?

I must have missed that post.:tf

pnoon
07-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Please share how you were disrespected.
Is it because many advised you that your actions raised concerns?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tyler
07-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Your only proving my point.

http://werkinggerl.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/pointless.jpg

http://policelink.monster.com/nfs/policelink/photos/0238/1129/thread_direction_max600.gif?1268955027

Tyler
07-21-2011, 03:27 PM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/9/Thread-Crap-Forget.jpg

Lock it up now?

replicant_argent
07-21-2011, 03:31 PM
You requested advice/help regarding a humidor, young man.
The advice/help was given, however the advice is that said humidor should simply be a closed wooden box to you. You do not seem to understand that no matter if it contains cigars, love letters, chewed bubble gum, or keys to his Aston Martin, it is no business of yours if he has not given YOU express permission to have inspection of all his things. YOU are not house sitting for him and no one was tasked with taking care of that box. Whether your girlfriend or you understand this situation, she has violated his trust, and you are violating the trust he has placed in her.

bvilchez
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Funny you should post the thread took a wrong turn.

YOU are the one who noted you were being disrespected.

YOU were the one who who wanted others to chime in correct?

I'm not trying to be an a$$hole here but let's get straight to it. You asked a question on the forum. It was answered. Others chimed in and gave you what THEY think. You don't have to follow that advice. You're a grown man I take it and you can make your own decisions. If you feel like going ahead prepping the humi go ahead.

But don't tell others that the thread took a wrong turn or that you were disrespected when all they were trying to do is take care of your 6.

Tyler
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/2/9/7/4/6/this_thread_wont_die.jpg

http://207.199.174.56/img/jnaKrbmkFe_you-there-you-sir-smell-of-poo.jpg

Tyler
07-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Funny you should post the thread took a wrong turn.

YOU are the one who noted you were being disrespected.

YOU were the one who who wanted others to chime in correct?

I'm not trying to be an a$$hole here but let's get straight to it. You asked a question on the forum. It was answered. Others chimed in and gave you what THEY think. You don't have to follow that advice. You're a grown man I take it and you can make your own decisions. If you feel like going ahead prepping the humi go ahead.

But don't tell others that the thread took a wrong turn or that you were disrespected when all they were trying to do is take care of your 6.

I suppose that is right but the thread should have been locked up a long time ago. The questions I was asking is if anyone had heard of the humidor, if it is a good one or not, and if the small humidifier would be good for that space. But noone has answered those questions yet. I tried looking up the humidor but not alot came up. I think the humidifier is for 50 cigars right? I have had it for a long time but I don't think they ever go bad? I just don't need it any more and would love to see it go to good use helping him keep his cigars at the correct humidity.

Tbagley
07-21-2011, 04:02 PM
G Watts humidors are not cheap. Below a little tib bit I found.

{Bestsellers at Kremer's are humidors priced from $250 to $475 made by George Watts, a Mississippian who makes the humidors at his woodworking shop, Sallee said.

Sallee rates the Watts items as among the best-made on the market, but hard to get. "I'm lucky to get 20 a month," he said. }

On another note I'd agree with many that have already spoken.

Tyler
07-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks Tom. I appreciate it.

T.G
07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
if anyone had heard of the humidor,

No.

if it is a good one or not

Can't tell from the photos if it's veneer over MDF or solid wood. Doesn't matter really though.

if the small humidifier would be good for that space.

Yes the 2 oz gel jar will be fine, as I said to you about 25 posts ago, "just stick the humidifier in there", pending the owner's approval of course.

I think the humidifier is for 50 cigars right?

For use in a humidor, yes, typically that's about right. But it varies based on the space and the cigars - that jar could humidify 500 cigars in a coolerdor that seals well.

I have had it for a long time but I don't think they ever go bad?

The polymer can break down, but it takes many, many years, or even over a decade or longer for some of the formulas.

I just don't need it any more and would love to see it go to good use helping him keep his cigars at the correct humidity.

That's very noble, but there's a difference between giving it to someone who wants it and forcing it onto someone who might not care or want it. I have a friend whom I've given cigars to in the past - every time he would take them and leave them in the glove box of his truck for a month or two to dry out and get to "be the way he liked them". I wouldn't smoke them that way, but he sure enjoyed them like that

Tyler
07-21-2011, 04:08 PM
if anyone had heard of the humidor,

No.

if it is a good one or not

Can't tell from the photos if it's veneer over MDF or solid wood. Doesn't matter really though.

if the small humidifier would be good for that space.

Yes the 2 oz gel jar will be fine, as I said to you about 25 posts ago, "just stick the humidifier in there", pending the owner's approval of course.

I think the humidifier is for 50 cigars right?

For use in a humidor, yes, typically that's about right. But it varies based on the space and the cigars - that jar could humidify 500 cigars in a coolerdor that seals well.

I have had it for a long time but I don't think they ever go bad?

The polymer can break down, but it takes many, many years, or even over a decade or longer for some of the formulas.

I just don't need it any more and would love to see it go to good use helping him keep his cigars at the correct humidity.

That's very noble, but there's a difference between giving it to someone who wants it and forcing it onto someone.

Thanks a ton Adam. I apologize for not seeing your answer before on if it would be good for the space. :tu