PDA

View Full Version : Will you guys suggest a good Civil War book?

shilala
07-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I like a textbook style learnin'. I'd like a book that covers the pre-war political climate, at least lightly, then goes through the battles and actual war pretty comprehensively. A short tie-up, assassination, postwar climate, at least lightly, would be ideal.
I've pieced everything together over the years, studying all the pre-war stuff, and have recently been reading articles in Smithsonian that have me wanting to read more. Mostly so I can get all the stuff in my melon organized. :D
I'm not sure if a different point of view than a narrative would be more fun to read, but something more interesting than soup can ingredients would be highly appreciated.
I looked in iBooks and there were some that may be okay. I have kindle on my iPad, too. I should have mentioned I want to find it in ebook format.
Thank You!!!

Don Fernando
07-17-2011, 11:41 AM
a fellow inmate wrote about about Gettysburg.

Emjaysmash
07-17-2011, 12:31 PM
a fellow inmate wrote about about Gettysburg.

I think he wants a complete overview of the whole war, in one book.

Coach Deg
07-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Scott a professor friend of mine has written some pretty extensive Napolean books for Oklahoma Press. Try googling Oaklahoma press and see what they have. One of my buddies books was 800 pages and included all kinds of maps. He was out in the German and French archives for months. So I'm sure they have to have some good ones on the Civil War.

Ashcan Bill
07-17-2011, 02:20 PM
If you want something other than a textbook format, take a look at John Jakes' North and South Trilogy. It's historical fiction and covers the periods you're interested in. If I recall, it wasn't a bad read. While the main characters are fictional, he's fairly accurate from a historical perspective and provides an interesting flavor of the times.

hotreds
07-17-2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Catton/e/B000AP8M9Q/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

gettysburgfreak
07-17-2011, 05:37 PM
James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom

shilala
07-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I got this one, the audio/video version. I'm slogging through the beginning, which so far has earned the word slog. I'm sure it'll pick up soon.

I will take a look at this one tomorrow. I'm sure I'll get it, it comes very highly endorsed. :)

Thank You, gentlemen!!! :tu

forgop
07-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I have this trilogy, but haven't started it yet. This will be saved to read after I finish nursing school in May.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Narrative-Vol-Set/dp/0394749138/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310960146&sr=8-1

RevSmoke
07-17-2011, 10:44 PM

I'll second this one. Read it twice. Good stuff!

shilala
07-18-2011, 10:21 AM

This one went and got real good on me already. It kept me up till 2:00 last night, and I expect I'll have my nose in it all day. :D

OLS
07-18-2011, 11:12 AM
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote..........might not be critically detailed, or should I say there was a tremendous
amount of narrative and southern style put into this work by the late Memphis resident. This is the book that inspired the
Ken Burns epic. Even if you select something else, pick this UP!

shilala
07-18-2011, 12:22 PM
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote..........might not be critically detailed, or should I say there was a tremendous
amount of narrative and southern style put into this work by the late Memphis resident. This is the book that inspired the

There's a bunch of Shelby Foote audio blurbs all over this book. I'll see what else he has to say and grab that book if I'm not completely Civil War'd out. Thanks Brad!!! :tu

gettysburgfreak
07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
If you want to read about civil war medicine, you can pick up my book :D

Stephen
07-18-2011, 03:03 PM
I like a textbook style learnin'. I'd like a book that covers the pre-war political climate, at least lightly, then goes through the battles and actual war pretty comprehensively. A short tie-up, assassination, postwar climate, at least lightly, would be ideal.
I've pieced everything together over the years, studying all the pre-war stuff, and have recently been reading articles in Smithsonian that have me wanting to read more. Mostly so I can get all the stuff in my melon organized. :D
I'm not sure if a different point of view than a narrative would be more fun to read, but something more interesting than soup can ingredients would be highly appreciated.
I looked in iBooks and there were some that may be okay. I have kindle on my iPad, too. I should have mentioned I want to find it in ebook format.
Thank You!!!

For my money, although it's not one book:

The Coming Fury
Terrible Swift Sword
Never Call Retreat

Catton's earlier trilogy focused on the Army of the Potomac, while these offered a broader view of not only the battles, but the socio-economic and political map of the day.

Stephen
07-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Yep, definitely told from a Southern point of view (not saying that in a negative way mind you, merely agreeing). If I remember correctly, he even refers to some of the major battles by what they were known as in the South (for instance, Battle of Antietam is called the Battle of Sharpsburg).

Stephen
07-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah, this is the book you want if you're limiting yourself to one book.

shilala
07-19-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm about a 1/4th of the way through Civil War: An Illustrated History. I could do without the sojourns into essaydom, but I suppose it breaks things up. I think it disrupts the flow and it's redundant. I may skip the rest and come back to them later.
I'd complain if they hung me with a new rope, though. :D
So far it's been an excellent read, and exactly what I was looking for. :tu

bscottskangum
07-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Shelby Foote ftw

shilala
07-23-2011, 03:20 AM
I just finished "Civil War - An Illustrated History" and I very much enjoyed it. I just picked up Battle Cry of Freedom, and I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks again, gentlemen!!! :tu

kgoings
09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
looks like good reads

shilala
09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm still reading Battle Cry of Freedom. It's incredibly long and my reading time has been short, but it's an excellent read. The war just recently started, so it'll move along now. I'm pretty well versed in this phase from the last book. The post-war is what I'm interested in, and the politics during the war, and this book is chock full of that stuff. I'll get done with it some day, I'm sure.

shilala
10-14-2011, 07:13 AM
I finally finished Battle Cry last night. What an awesome read. :tu