PDA

View Full Version : working out with an injury - need advice.

Devanmc
07-17-2011, 08:07 AM
So as some of you know i was in the army and was discharged due to an injury to my left hip. it makes walking, running, jumping, push ups, sit ups and even cycling painful. This has made working out more like torture then a healthy choice.

Im curious if you guys have any advice for things i can do? Im loosing weight and getting weak down to 139 from 165 a year ago. :sl

thanks in advance brothers

Fordman4ever
07-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Just try to concentrate on the things you can actually do that don't cause pain. Chest, back, arms and shoulders are great things to work out. Have you tried going to or at least talking to a physical therapist. They can work wonders on joint injuries.

Devanmc
07-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Just try to concentrate on the things you can actually do that don't cause pain. Chest, back, arms and shoulders are great things to work out. Have you tried going to or at least talking to a physical therapist. They can work wonders on joint injuries.

i did physical therapy for over a year, it helps but doesnt solve things. im waiting on my va specalist to recommend surgery and get all that approved.

688sonarmen
07-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Not sure of your exact injury but swimming is low impact and can be a full body work out.

Devanmc
07-17-2011, 08:27 AM
to be specific, i have a labral tear in my left hip. That is deffinitly worth a try, thank you

SvilleKid
07-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Good Luck, Devan. Glad to see you posting. Hope you make it back to Bama sometime soon!

Bill86
07-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Hey Devan, good to see you on the forum again :tu. From someone who used to be your size I'd say what you need to do is a high protein diet and utilize your upper body which has no damage.

If you can eat and lift weights....You're in good hands.

From what I gather from talking to you in the last 6 months or so, you gotta stop the cardio that won't be good with a bum hip. Do upper body exercises. That's all I do anyways. Eat mostly lean meat and protein you put the weight right back on.

Glad to see you back posting brother :tu

Apoco
07-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I tore the labram in my shoulder about 5 months ago. The surgery has helped tremendously. I hope they approve you soon so that you can get on the road to healing.

I can't really make any recommendations about exercise. Just wanted to say good luck and don't try to push it - those injuries can get worse if you don't lay off of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Devanmc
07-20-2011, 06:18 PM
so you mean saying F it and doing crossfit after hours in the military was a bad idea... lol. i just cant do it now. hurts to much

Apoco
07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
so you mean saying F it and doing crossfit after hours in the military was a bad idea... lol. i just cant do it now. hurts to much

*sigh* lol

I wasn't ever dedicated enough to just work through the pain. I wore my sling around like it was an olympic medal or something.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigheadmark
07-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Not sure of your exact injury but swimming is low impact and can be a full body work out.

:tu

forgop
07-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Key to gaining weight-get older, eat at chinese buffets/fast food often, argue on message boards for hours a day, and drink beer. That seems to do the trick.

Seriously though-increase your calories in your diet with lot of protein and lay off anything that causes any more discomfort than normal until after you get the apparent surgery. It'll only make things more unpleasant for you than they already are.

chachee52
07-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Labral tears in the hip are tough because one second it hurts the next it doesn't. Mike Lowell had a labral tear his second to last season with the Red Sox.
Basically the more you work through the pain, the more potential of tearing it a little more you have. The labrum is just flapping in the joint causing the pain.
As a PT, aquatic therapy is a great alternative. You'd be suprised how much water and a little foan dumb bell can do!!!!
I was trained in the Burdenko method and I was a sceptic when I first went into training, but after hours and months in the pool doing workouts, I full recomend this type of no-impact exercising for almost any person.

Devanmc
07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Labral tears in the hip are tough because one second it hurts the next it doesn't. Mike Lowell had a labral tear his second to last season with the Red Sox.
Basically the more you work through the pain, the more potential of tearing it a little more you have. The labrum is just flapping in the joint causing the pain.
As a PT, aquatic therapy is a great alternative. You'd be suprised how much water and a little foan dumb bell can do!!!!
I was trained in the Burdenko method and I was a sceptic when I first went into training, but after hours and months in the pool doing workouts, I full recomend this type of no-impact exercising for almost any person.

i can deffinitly agree with that. my first surgeon in the army said i couldn't make it worse. But im in alot more constant pain now even without working out then at the time of getting the injury.

i will try going exercises in the water. where can i find things besides swimming for me to do?

chachee52
07-22-2011, 05:09 AM
I think that the other people have said a lot. Focus on increasing caloric intake, and upper body workouts.
Stay away from the machines for legs (I'm personally not a fan of them for anyone anyway) because a lot of them put a ton of unneeded stress on your hips and knees.
Theraball work outs are a good all around conditioning workout. Doesn't build huge muscles, but gets tone and endurance for the whole body.