PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Folding Cigar Ashtray with Accessories

kaelaria
07-06-2011, 10:06 PM
http://cigarobsession.com/wp-content/gallery/wfa/20110706wfa0002-edit.jpg

This is a folding desktop ashtray unit sent in by 1st Class Cigar Humidors – thank you very much guys! My first impression is it looks GREAT and has quite a heft to it! It’s definitely something to compliment an office, end table, smoking room, etc. with a detailed walnut veneer and very thick lacquer finish. Opening the unit up it separates in to an ashtray and rest, with magnets holding the tray, a cutter plus a punch in place. The punch works great, with a spring loaded extractor, screw on cap and hole for attachment to a keychain. The cutter is a basic single guillotine that has ok results although no single blade cutter gives a very clean cut. It’s sharp enough to do the job though. Holding it in your hand it’s actually sharp edged and uncomfortable, however it’s not actually designed to be used in your hand. It’s to be placed in the unit to act as a stationary guillotine while placing the cigar on the rest. The results are not that great unfortunately. The other big negative for the unit is the construction. It’s made in China and has sub standard assembly. The hinges are not applied correctly, looking a bit sloppy with some play, and are placed so the unit does not open flat creating a rock when placing the whole thing down. The ashtray itself is a nice steel unit that easily removed by pressing to one side, where a slight indentation below creates a pivot allowing the bowl to be easily picked up. It’s a good size, enough for several cigars, although when using the cigar rest the ash will not be over the bowl for more than the start of a cigar, it’s separated by a couple inches. Photography by BGPictures.com, video on the site

icehog3
07-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Looks pretty classy, Bryan...what's the price point?

Thanks for the pic and review. :tu

emopunker2004
07-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Looks pretty classy, Bryan...what's the price point?

Thanks for the pic and review. :tu

Looking at the site, $39 w/o humidor purchase, $35 w/ humidor purchase

icehog3
07-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Looking at the site, $39 w/o humidor purchase, $35 w/ humidor purchase

Thanks Justin. :)

emopunker2004
07-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks Justin. :)

:tu

LostAbbott
07-07-2011, 12:45 AM
So it sounds like you would like it if it easily built a little better, but as is not don't recommend it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Blak Smyth
07-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Wow that looks really classy. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that bad boy.
Nice find!

kaelaria
07-07-2011, 08:24 AM
The company assured me they had never heard of the hinge problem and this was a fluke. But from this experience alone, I would recommend it but with the caveat about the possible rock issue. It it a really nice looking unit for sure regardless.

Blak Smyth
07-07-2011, 08:33 AM
I do wish the holder would slide towards the tray more, could get messy if ash falls into the gullitine cutter hole?

kaelaria
07-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Yes that's why I mentioned that. I would not use the rest.

Drez
07-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Even with the hinge and holder issue still seems like a nice display piece for a office or coffee table.

Parshooter
07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I have something very simular made by Colibri. Never used it.

Blak Smyth
07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Even with the hinge and holder issue still seems like a nice display piece for a office or coffee table.

Yes it is beautiful in the pics, would be great on a coffee table!

Sherlockholms
07-12-2011, 01:31 PM
That looks classy Bryan, thanks for the info and pics.

hscmit
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
great template for a handy botl

Tyler
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
It seems they could put an extender on the cigar rest part so then it will extend to inside the bowl thus it would be long enough to rest and ash at any stage throughout the smoke. Looks very classy though. Maybe I should buy one and modify it myself. :tu Thanks for the review.

Tbagley
07-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Adding a slider to the rest wouldn't seem to be too much trouble and really make it usable.

Blak Smyth
07-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I saw one with the identical layout in a B&M this weekend. it did not appear to be so appealing. Maybe it is a lesser brand or manufacturer? It didn't look like real wood, finish didn't look at all like glass.

Tbagley
07-13-2011, 02:30 PM
It didn't look like real wood, finish didn't look at all like glass.

Well this one is a veneer so one could say this isn't either.