PDA

View Full Version : Golf and drunks dont mix

Cenookie
11-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Today was the annual Turkey Shoot golf tournament at the club that I belong to. Well I got paired with a guy who started drinking on the first freaking hole. Now I have nothing against a guy having a beer on the course, but this guy was ridiculous. I mean losing track of his ball every other shot, not remembering his score. The sad thing is the guy is a serious stick when he's sober. By the time we were at the 13th hole the poor bastage was drunk off his ass. All most got into a fight with his cart mate, then just stopped playing and started looking for the beer girl. Sorry for the rant but people should go to bars to get drunk, not the golf course.:fl:fl

Texan in Mexico
11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I agree with you - clear case of differing expectations for the day.

auburnfan1980
11-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Certainly bad form when playing the "gentleman's game"

groogs
11-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't see anything wrong with having a few drinks and enjoying a cigar on the golf course, but getting plastered is out of line IMO. I am sorry you had to deal with that.

awsmith4
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I agree, I do drink from tee off to the end but always make sure I stay in control. Why pay the money for a round and don't finish?

BigBruce
11-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Well let me say there is a time and place for everything. Before I left to go to Afghan I was around a 4 handicap. When I went to a normal little comp I'd drink a few beers at most. Helps me unwind a little bit and not over think my shots. When I'm out with the guys I'll drink from tee off till the end and may be a little buzzed at the end. Now if there is a company (Army) 4 man scramble I'm going to get plastered. We have Kegs all over the course and certain drinking games at holes. Plus the marshells all are old retired army guys so they get a kick out of it. :r

Doogie
11-23-2008, 06:42 AM
I have no problem with drunks on the course as long as they respect the game. getting into a fight with your cartmate is unaceptable

Steve
11-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Man, that bites!

I was invited to fill an open anglers spot for a tournament several years ago. I new one of the other anglers, but the boat and crew was one of the top charters in the area. Long story short, one guy started pounding back before we left the dock (~5:00am) and kept right on going. Even a 50' Sport fisher is way too small with a drunk on board!

BigAl_SC
11-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Was at a company scramble several years ago and one foursome (all heavy drinkers) were teamed together. When we got to the 19th hole, there was a hush around the clubhouse instead of the usual loud talk. The awards and lunch went on as scheduled. No one talked about it but everyone found out later that one of the drunk guys had taken to parking about 1 foot from the greens. On one missed and trenched the green. Police or pay. $1000 later I guess they sobered up.

troutbreath
11-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow! You got to play with John Daly?!? (he recently made news at a Hooters in our town)

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/ee231dea66_daly_10302008.jpg

MikeyC
11-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Clearly this was the problem. Sometimes this behaviour is OK and sometimes not. It depends on what expected behaviour is for that particular tournament. Most of the time this is not acceptable behaviour.

On a side note, I used to work with a guy who once got so drunk playing golf that he flipped his golf cart over. It fell on his leg and he was out of work for a couple of days.

Bear
11-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Today was the annual Turkey Shoot golf tournament at the club that I belong to. Well I got paired with a guy who started drinking on the first freaking hole. Now I have nothing against a guy having a beer on the course, but this guy was ridiculous. I mean losing track of his ball every other shot, not remembering his score. The sad thing is the guy is a serious stick when he's sober. By the time we were at the 13th hole the poor bastage was drunk off his ass. All most got into a fight with his cart mate, then just stopped playing and started looking for the beer girl. Sorry for the rant but people should go to bars to get drunk, not the golf course.:fl:fl

IMO, There's nothing wrong with getting plastered while at a golf tourney (especially if it's a scramble) IF and only IF everyone in the foursome is on the same page AND you don't hold up play or damage the course.

cf2112
11-23-2008, 09:16 AM

I'm a 2 handicap and play a lot of golf sometimes sober but mostly with a beer and a cigar. We play golf by one rule "if you can't play drunk don't play". I usually play every Friday afternoon and start with a six pack sometimes that lasts all round, sometimes I'll switch to mixed drinks, sometimes I need another six pack. Our group (12-20 people) has it's own cart girl and they fight to be "our girl" because we have the most fun and tip well. We have never had anyone get too out of hand and never damage the course. We have a sober golfer for rides home (winner of the most money picks next weeks "winner") or My wife joins me for dinner and drives me home.

It sounds like you we paired with someone who doesn't resept the game or himself.

If you or anyone is ever in Mid-Missouri lmk and golf and cigars are on me (drinks also if you indulge).

icehog3
11-23-2008, 09:49 AM
On a side note, I used to work with a guy who once got so drunk playing golf that he flipped his golf cart over. It fell on his leg and he was out of work for a couple of days.

Too ironic....last time I golfed my co-worker and I drank a beer a hole (this was a work sponsored outing). I flipped the cart on the 16th hole and it landed on top of both of us, and it took several co-workers to get it off of us.

That was indeed the last time I ever golfed....it was in 1988.

I have continued to drink, however. ;)

Clampdown
11-23-2008, 09:57 AM
As long as you have a driver to take the drunks home I see nothing wrong with this. 18 shots in a bottle of scotch, 18 holes on a golf course. My friends and I will get together during the summer and there is nothing better to me on a nice summer day then drinking beer with friends, smoking cigars and playing golf. I have played and been the drunk on the course. Respecting the game, the course and drinking can all take place at the same time. Sorry you had a bad time with it, some guys just cant handle their alcohol.

SmokinApe
11-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey man, I am sorry... I was just trying to have a good time....

groogs
11-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Too ironic....last time I golfed my co-worker and I drank a beer a hole (this was a work sponsored outing). I flipped the cart on the 16th hole and it landed on top of both of us, and it took several co-workers to get it off of us.

That was indeed the last time I ever golfed....it was in 1988.

I have continued to drink, however. ;)

That is great, I am LMAO just thinking about it.:r

tobii3
11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
apparently some of y'all take this golf crap seriously.

:r:r:r