PDA

View Full Version : Mistaken Identity and Credit Rating

Noodles
06-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Background:

A little over two years ago, we received a mail from a collection agency asking my wife to pay a hospital bill. Needless to say, this was a mistake. The person who incurred the bill had the same first name and last name as my wife*. Different second name altogether.

We've called them to make the correction. Sent them whatever documents they require of us to no avail. They've promised to work on it but the record still shows up.

My wife's credit suffered because of this. This is the same women who pays her credit card in full, the day after the bill closes.

What else can we do to rectify this?

*Women from countries influenced by Spain normally has two names e.g. Maria Carmela Esperanza. Maria is rarely used. Usually second and last name.

kelmac07
06-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Might try contacting the credit bureau. If you've provided all the appropriate documentation and it still shows up...something doesn't seem right (especially after two years).

Thanks for the correct agency Deano!! :tu

Isom-niac2
06-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Contact the credit bureaus reporting the neg rating and dispute it through them showing all your documentation justifying your claim. I believe you can do it either online or in wriiten letter. The credit bureaus will contact the hospital advising them of the dispute and your "evidence"and the hospital will then have to provide proof why they believe the neg rating should remain. If after the review process the hospital has proven their side again, then you will probably have to take legal action against the hospital. Generally a letter from your attorney will do the job..