PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy vs. Hellboy II - Which do you prefer?

Darrell
11-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I watched Hellboy II last night and I was reluctant to do so as I thought the 1st one was not very good at all. I liked Ron Perlman's character of Hellboy, but the story line and other aspects of the film were lacking.

I think the biggest and best thing they did for this series was put Guillermo Del Toro in the director seat. Talk about an EXCELLENT film (Hellboy II). It was so visually stunning, like Pan's Labyrinth meets a comic book. The story was fun and fresh, characters were imaginative and interesting. It was great.

I hope he stays on board for Part III.

Discuss.

massphatness
11-22-2008, 01:14 PM
I know it's the conventional wisdom for Del Toro to get props for HBII, but honestly, I enjoyed the original more. It was a movie that didn't require any heavy lifting on my part. I could just sit back and enjoy it. While I admit the effects were better in II, I found the whole story to be rather boring.

Ironfreak
11-22-2008, 01:19 PM
I think the original had a much better storyline.. I just didn't get into Hellboy 2. (Although the action sequences were pretty good)

Gone Dave
11-22-2008, 01:34 PM
I think the original had a much better storyline.. I just didn't get into Hellboy 2. (Although the action sequences were pretty good):tu:tu

boonedoggle
11-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Overall, I think DOS was better. It's hard to find movies that improve at the sequal. I wonder how III will be.

K Baz
11-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I understand both have Selma Blair in them so that would make them equally as good to me.

Unless we want to breakdown screen time and outfits and so on.

I have not seen HBII but I will thanks to Selma

Skywalker
11-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I know it's the conventional wisdom for Del Toro to get props for HBII, but honestly, I enjoyed the original more. It was a movie that didn't require any heavy lifting on my part. I could just sit back and enjoy it. While I admit the effects were better in II, I found the whole story to be rather boring.

I think the original had a much better storyline.. I just didn't get into Hellboy 2. (Although the action sequences were pretty good)

I'm with Dumb & Dumber on this one!!! (Sorry, they didn't make a Smiley that said I'm with Stupids)

I thought the part with Abe and HB singing Berry Manilow was ridiculous!!!

longknocker
11-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Hellboy II is better because "The Admiral" played Hellboy in II!:D

VirtualSmitty
11-22-2008, 07:21 PM

Ja, I liked the first one movie alot better.

Starscream
11-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm with Darrell, I like this one better than the original.

kayaker
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I think the biggest and best thing they did for this series was put Guillermo Del Toro in the director seat.

Umm... I haven't seen the second one yet, but enjoyed the first one well enough. It's my understanding that del Toro directed both of the Hellboy movies, as well as the animated series.

Darrell
11-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Umm... I haven't seen the second one yet, but enjoyed the first one well enough. It's my understanding that del Toro directed both of the Hellboy movies.

Weird. I did not realize that. Oh well. II rocks! :tu

nozero
11-22-2008, 09:28 PM
We just finished watching Hellboy II and both my wife and I liked the first one far better in every respect.