PDA

View Full Version : Calling all computer geeks! Looking for advice!

spincycle
11-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I've run out of space on my dinky laptop hard drive, and I'm looking to buy some sort of external hard drive. I know there are some network enabled mass storage options these days, but I don't even know where to start. I really like the idea of being able to access information from more than one computer and dropping the hard drives next to my router.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

spin

shilala
11-22-2008, 12:24 PM
I bought a 500gb Maxtor One Touch external for like 60 bucks on Black Friday last year at Staples. I'd expect something like that this year, too.
There's little dinky portable externals, too, but I'd go for the big one.

SilverFox
11-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I went with the SeaGate Sata FreeAgent pro - 1 Terabyte. Networked to my main system accessible by all my systems in the house (wireless and wired) as well as I can VPN in from the net.

JE3146
11-22-2008, 12:39 PM
I went with the SeaGate Sata FreeAgent pro - 1 Terabyte. Networked to my main system accessible by all my systems in the house (wireless and wired) as well as I can VPN in from the net.

Geek....

/jealous

:D ... I need a VPN router.... but then again, I hardly ever leave home :r

wcktalvrg
11-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Thats the way to do it. I'm probably going to have a similar setup after black friday, I'm going to try to find deals on external Tera

spincycle
11-22-2008, 02:11 PM
I was searching the net and found this:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=666

I like UPnP capabilities, but I'll still need to buy hard drives! :)

DrDubzz
11-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Western Digital has some good external HD options, many of which you can put on your network and access from anywhere with and interweb connection

acruce
11-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I bought a 500gb Maxtor One Touch external for like 60 bucks on Black Friday last year at Staples. I'd expect something like that this year, too.
There's little dinky portable externals, too, but I'd go for the big one.

This is what I have.

Mugen910
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Ease up on the nudie stuff brother! :r

Honestly, I just grabbed a spare HD and bought a case for it to make it portable..works well.

ucla695
11-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Honestly, I just grabbed a spare HD and bought a case for it to make it portable..works well.

:r :r :r Hmmmm....nudie stuff on the go. :r

Genetic Defect
11-25-2008, 07:09 PM

:tpd: SeaGate FAP is the one I would go with

spincycle
11-25-2008, 07:18 PM

But you sister makes so much good stuff! :r :r :r

I kid, I kid... :dance:

I bought the Dlink I mentioned above.. just over $100, allow me to FTP, VPN, runs a UPnP server, everything I need. Shutsdwn the HD's too when they're not being used. Very happy so far! :)

Genetic Defect
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
But you sister makes so much good stuff! :r :r :r

I kid, I kid... :dance:

I bought the Dlink I mentioned above.. just over $100, allow me to FTP, VPN, runs a UPnP server, everything I need. Shutsdwn the HD's too when they're not being used. Very happy so far! :)

pm link :)

spincycle
11-25-2008, 07:22 PM
pm link :)

:r :r :r

Okay, we better stop or he'll have his windmill forwarded to us.

Seanohue
11-25-2008, 10:44 PM
You can also save a few more $$$ if you buy the enclosure and the hard drive separately.

tsolomon
11-26-2008, 06:57 AM
I went with the SeaGate Sata FreeAgent pro - 1 Terabyte. Networked to my main system accessible by all my systems in the house (wireless and wired) as well as I can VPN in from the net.I like the solution, but how or where are you backing up data that is on it?