PDA

View Full Version : Starting to have issues with the Vino's RH lately....

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 11:23 AM
It seems I cannot hold mt 65% anymore... It does some major fluctuations. Like 55-72 sometimes. It will very rarely sit at 65% for long... Maybe a few days. I have 2lbs of RH ( Not HCM ) beads in it from CigarMony.com ( N2 ) , and I open it maybe once a week... I also have around 5-6 cabs, 2 large, 3 small and 2 shelves from ChasDen and around 100 or so ( didn't count ) loose sticks.

My beads are in the mesh bad on top and then the rest in a shallow tub on the bottom. I don't know whats happening. Are the beads shot? They are around 2 years old. They are also starting to discolor.. Is that them absorbing the ammonia, or is that only a trait from Shilala's beads..

None the less, not sure whats going on.

N2Advnture
06-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Anthony,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

With such wide RH swings, my first suspicion would be from the Vino temp control kicking on and off but without being there to see what's going on, it's tough.

I've never had any "go bad" but please feel free to send them back and I'll swap them out.

The discoloration is normal as the RH Beads absorb moisture that contains oils from the tobacco.

I hope this helps and that all is well.

~Mark

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 11:51 AM
No need to send them back, but i appreciate you giving me the offer. As long as the coloration is normal. They do their normal turning clear to milky white, so in terms of them absorbing they re good to go.

I did remember about the fluctuation of the temps, but they temps dont change much on the hygrometer. I'll try and make it a bit colder in there and see if that would help.

Ranger_B
06-21-2011, 11:55 AM
When is the last time you checked your hygrometer?

Apoco
06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
If you haven't already, start by replacing the batteries and then calibrating your hygrometer.

Posted via Mobile Device

N2Advnture
06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
What is the current temp set to?

You may want to use a Johnson's temperature controller as well. If you set it to closer to 70 degrees, it will turn on/off less frequently which should reduce the frequency of wide RH swings.

Also, adding fans will help to evenly distribute the RH throughout.

Sorry, for reason I thought you said you calibrated your hygros - if not, Ranger and Apoco are absolutely correct. Replace the batteries and calibrate them first so we know where we stand.

Hygros do "drift" and weak batteries can give unfavorable readings.

I hope this helps

~Mark

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I did just calibrate it. Maybe my battery is going bad. Because in a sealed baggie with salt I adjusted it to 75 then a few hours later the RH was off again. So maybe the weak battery isn't giving strong readings ...

neoflex
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Could be the battery. I know when mine start to kick they fluctuate a little bit. I do try and change mine at a very minimum, once a year. How do the sticks feel?

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
IMO kinda dry. So the RH would seem to read right. I'm not a cigar expert at all so they could be ok too... they seem to smoke good though.

Smokin Gator
06-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I had one Vino that developed those same kind of symptoms. After looking I found corrosion around the top of the fan assembly on the back (I think it is a fan). The corrosion had gone all the way through and was allowing air in. The unit ran too much and pulled in humidity. I turned that one back into a wine cooler!!

76GTFan
06-21-2011, 03:46 PM
No need to send them back, but i appreciate you giving me the offer. As long as the coloration is normal. They do their normal turning clear to milky white, so in terms of them absorbing they re good to go.

I did remember about the fluctuation of the temps, but they temps dont change much on the hygrometer. I'll try and make it a bit colder in there and see if that would help.

I have found that a plugged in Vinotemp will suck your beads dry (that's what she said). I am not having the fluctuations that you get, but if the beads aren't charged, then your outside RH may get those fluctuations. I used to undercharge my beads, afraid of jacking up the RH. I have learned that when it says to have 70% of them wet, it is the truth. I have been recharging about every 10 days with the vino plugged in. If your A/C is at a good setting, you may try it unplugged. Other than that I don't understand why the thermoelectric units are draining my beads. :2

76GTFan
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
IMO kinda dry. So the RH would seem to read right. I'm not a cigar expert at all so they could be ok too... they seem to smoke good though.

That is the deciding factor. Remember the air RH changes much faster than the cigar RH. Cigars hold their RH very well compared to the other elements (air, beads, etc.). I have gotten many different readings from 60 up to 72. I have found that 60 to 68 is fine with me. They still smoke well.

76GTFan
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
What is the current temp set to?

You may want to use a Johnson's temperature controller as well. If you set it to closer to 70 degrees, it will turn on/off less frequently which should reduce the frequency of wide RH swings.

Do you have a link for the temperature controller? Thanks.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I live in an attic that is finished so it gets hot. We have central AC but its such an old design that its still hot. I have a window unit running but once its hot.

Sherlockholms
06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Is it a thermoelectric?

bobarian
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
The humidity of your Vinotemp is irrelevant. What's important is the Rh of your cigars, place a hygrometer on the inside of a box for 24hours. Take a look at the high and low temps and Rh. Over a period of time the Rh should average out to something in the range of 58-65%. Your wine cooler is cycling more often and there will be fluctuations in the humidity, but I will guess that the Rh of your cigars is exactly where your beads are set. :2

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Will do. But what about my chasden drawers? I have slotted bottoms so wouldn't they fluctuate faster than the ones in the box.

bobarian
06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
They'll swing back just as fast. If the cigars in the drawers are smoking the way you like them, then everything is fine. Cigars are much tougher than anyone gives them credit. If you're concerned take out 10 cigars and place them in a ziplock with a hygrometer for 12 hours, take a reading and look at the high/lows. :2

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Good idea.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I replaced the battery and I noticed that the display on the hygro is WAY brigher now. So maybe the low battery was lagging on the RH reading. So we will see.

Also to add this, I just smoked a stick that I have multiple of and it seems hard to draw from. Before it wasnt, but now I seem to be having an issue with it. So that does lead me to say the RH was off... Are these going to recover?

Sherlockholms
06-21-2011, 11:34 PM
They should being at the right humidity long enough. I had some RH issues at the beginning and had some over humidified sticks. When I got it figured out it took a week or so for them to come back to normal. I would say give them at least two weeks and see where they are then. If they are still tight give them a little longer, maybe even a month if need be.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Ok cool. I have some smokes that I got buy this get that smokes, and these things are tent spikes... Any way to get these smokeable? haha

N2Advnture
06-22-2011, 04:28 AM
Ok cool. I have some smokes that I got buy this get that smokes, and these things are tent spikes... Any way to get these smokeable? haha

If they smoked fine before and now they are very tight, it sounds like the RH is too high.

Try taking a few of the cigars that previously smoked fine and put them in a humidor with no humidification device (ie: dry box) for a few days. Then, try one again.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I dont have another humidor.. I could use a sealed tupperware container right?

Side note: I bought some sticks in a sale last yeah, churchills, and they are like tent spikes... That wasnt uncommon for this year, is there anyway to loosen them up?

big a
06-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I replaced the battery and I noticed that the display on the hygro is WAY brigher now. So maybe the low battery was lagging on the RH reading. So we will see.

Also to add this, I just smoked a stick that I have multiple of and it seems hard to draw from. Before it wasnt, but now I seem to be having an issue with it. So that does lead me to say the RH was off... Are these going to recover?

How long have you noticed the fluctuations? I have smoked 5 from the same box that all smoked a little different.

As bobarian said the sticks are most likely fine. If you are that worried about it I would try throwing them in a zip lock bag with the hygro to see what the sticks are reading as he also suggested. With it fluctuating so much i bet the rh of the sticks is right where you want them in the 63-67 range.

What is the rh like in the room of where the vino is? Mine is in the basement and the humidity got up to around 80% down there. the rh in my vino started to rise so i threw in a dehumidifier and that solved the problem.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Kinda dry up here... around 45-50 or so. which is good for a house, but not cigars haha

What about more beads? No right hah

MrOneEyedBoh
06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I just checked the beads that I wet to 60% of the total area ( recharged them ) and sure enough 95% of the beads were dried up that fast. Last time I fully recharged them was at the start of this thread...

And I have been misting the door pretty much everyday, reason behind that is because I seem someone suggest that and I seen the RH on the gauge low.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Just a report back, I lowered the temp to around 68, moved some beads around and the RH is at 65% now Thanks fellas.

NCRadioMan
06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Kinda dry up here... around 45-50 or so. which is good for a house, but not cigars haha

Who says? I have dry boxed cigars for weeks at a time with the rh around those levels.

If you don't have a dry humidor, any counter top will do. :D A sealed tupperware container will do no good. They seal too well.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
What about a cigar box? I was just always under the impression that you dont want them in anyhting less that 65-60. Lower than that, they will taste foul. But from reading CCs can take on a whole new taste when in lower RHs..

So it seems what to do is to put the tent spikes in a box and let they sit. Maybe I can do a test draw on it every few days to see the progress?

NCRadioMan
06-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Try every few years. It will take that long if they ever open up.

A cigar box would be fine.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-24-2011, 10:16 AM
ohok haha so just leave it in a box on the counter until they open up? what about draw poker?

NCRadioMan
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
ohok haha so just leave it in a box on the counter until they open up? what about draw poker?

I would keep them in a controlled low humidity environment, say 55-60%. Sure, you can always use a draw poker or even a long, skinny drill bit. It may help, it may not.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks!

MrOneEyedBoh
07-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Just an update. I found out what the issue was.. the drain. haha So I got that all fixed up and added a nicely small PC fan and the RH is nice now.

N2Advnture
07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Just an update. I found out what the issue was.. the drain. haha So I got that all fixed up and added a nicely small PC fan and the RH is nice now.

Glad to hear it!

What did you do to you fix the drain?

MrOneEyedBoh
07-06-2011, 10:32 AM
For now to make sure its a 100% fix I just used some duct tape. I hope that wont hurt the cigars at all. The smell is non-existent and I have tons of smokes and cedar in there so maybe its being masked.

Louistogies
07-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I've used a hot glue gun. Its quick and the smell dose not stick around. Just make sure you take everything out first, then put everything back like 5 minutes later.

MrOneEyedBoh
07-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Well to report back... I checked my beads in the back ( I made a troft under the fan where the moisture normally would go into the drain pan ) And the way I made that troft, is so it would drain into my beads tray. Well they are soaking wet. Not puddled in it, but wet enough. I think Im going to need to either A. Get more beads B. Leave the door open for a few hours to let all of that excess humidity evaporate.

I cant get a good RH unless my temp is at 70 degrees neither.. If I take her down to 65 degrees, the RH will be around say, 60

shilala
07-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Anthony, if your vinotemp is sitting on carpet, make sure she's totally level and stiffly supported. In time, the body will warp a little and the door seal wont touch. Sometimes you can adjust the hinge side to fix it, other times you just move it to a hard surface and it'll fix itself.
You can also use a couple pieces of duct tape to check it. You just put a couple pieces of tape on the front in a fashion that they'll go around the side. Close the door holding pressure on the door, and bring the tape around tight. Then leave it alone a couple days and watch for the RH to settle. :tu

shilala
07-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Ahh, I see you didn't have your drain plugged. There's your leak. Plug it up right, you need to anyways. Otherwise you'll forget. :)

MrOneEyedBoh
07-23-2011, 11:28 AM
The drain is plugged, sorry if I mislead you haha. I have made a troft from the back of the vino ( where its molded to funnel the water to the drain ) into a tray that I have beads in. It just seems that there is too much water settling in the tray... So, I think I'll need a bigger fan in there possibly

Weelok
07-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Hah you beat me to it. Plug the drain but good. I also put some cloth on the bottom to catch water and plumbed in a computer five inch fan to blow air across the cloth to try and circulate the humidity.

I can post some pics if you have questions. I wired the fan in parallel with the fan over the cool plate in the back.

MrOneEyedBoh
07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
No I got you, I think thtas what Im going to have to do... I have a small on in there now because I didnt think i needed one THAT big, but I guess I do.

pakrat
07-23-2011, 12:39 PM
It just seems that there is too much water settling in the tray...

What kind of temps is it holding. If the unit has to cycle on too often it will cause the moisture to condense faster than the beads can absorb it.

MrOneEyedBoh
07-23-2011, 12:42 PM
yeah, Im sure it is running more and more. Its hot here today and has been for the past week, around 99-110. And it is stored in the upstairs. Its not hot where its stored, just a tad hotter than the vinos internal temp. The thing that sucks, is I cant store it anywhere else.

designwise1
07-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Hopefully this will be of help to someone.

I've been running my wineador for a week now with 65 beads (drain is plugged). The RH on two hydros read between 45 and 50. It would rise to 60 if I opened the door for a minute. Today I unplugged it. Current RH? 68.

That's it. I'm running without power until further notice.

Weelok
07-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah they are tricky. In my experience if your cooler is trying to cool more then 10 degrees below room temp the cooler will be on quite a bit which will dry out the air due to condensation.

So in summer I keep the ac beteen 74 and 77 which means the cooler is 64 to 67. I also use 70% beads which seem to work better here in Sacramento which can be dry in Summer. The condensation will out pace absorption so I have to drain the cloth on the bottom periodically.

Obviously not a maintenance free storage method hah.