PDA

View Full Version : Gurkha Love Hate Relationships

Tyler
06-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I smoked my first Gurkha today (I had bought a couple of samplers to try) and I didn't think it was half bad. It was the Empire Series IV. I was wondering why people seem to either love or hate them with no-one in-between. I thought it was a decent stogie for the $2.50 I paid but maybe it's because Gurkhas tend to be a little over priced. Thoughts? Discussion? Please keep it civil though and respect both sides view points.

hscmit
06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
just like any other brand there are some that I like and some that arent so great

the g3 and g5 are good
I also like the old kh gold label and a few others

cmitch
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
The G3, shaggy's and Elegance were okay but I generally love to hate them.

Cornrow_Wallis
06-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Most people seem to have a problem with their marketing tactics more so than their cigars. IE the $300 box on sale for $80 (super mega special limited edition price.)

Plus they have about 300 different cigars out at any given time and I would hate to have to sift through them all to find the four or five that I would like to smoke.

kelmac07
06-20-2011, 10:33 AM
The few that I have had...Sherpa and the Doble Maduro (which they stopped making) were nice change of paces sticks. All had wrapper issues...I have yet to torch a Gurkha where the wrapper stayed intact. Only sticks I have ever had that problem with.

Acesfull
06-20-2011, 10:41 AM
I stay away from them. There just have been very few that have impressed me. Plus I get confused with their bands. They all look the same to me.

loki
06-20-2011, 10:42 AM
gurkah is one of the few brands that I absolutely do not like at all. they just don't do anything for me

T.G
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
If you like it, smoke it. That's all that matters.

I could tell you why I don't care for the brand, but what point would that serve? At best, it's just my opinion, at worst, it detracts from your enjoyment of the cigar, and I'd rather not do that.

icehog3
06-20-2011, 10:57 AM
All hate here.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Emjaysmash
06-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm that guy in the middle. I like a few of their sticks, but they are generally too overpriced for my liking. If someone gave me a Gurkha to smoke, I'd smoke it without hesitation.

N2 GOLD
06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I can honestly say I like them.

These are the few that I have tried:

Gold
Park Avenue
Castle Hall
Sherpa
Cuban Legacy
Master's Select

This all I have tried up until now... :tu my :2

wayner123
06-20-2011, 11:27 AM
All hate here.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

:tpd:

Tyler
06-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Thank you for all the helpful comments fellas. As far as smoke what you like, like what you smoke and people not wanting to comment, I was just wondering if there were chemicals, dye added to maduros, etc. that made people stay away or hate them.

T.G
06-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Thank you for all the helpful comments fellas. As far as smoke what you like, like what you smoke and people not wanting to comment, I was just wondering if there were chemicals, dye added to maduros, etc. that made people stay away or hate them.

No chemicals or dyes used that I'm aware of.

Ranger_B
06-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I have had a couple I liked just dont ask me what they where. Sent to me while overseas and good luck trying to figure which gimmick it was a part of. I thought the shaggy(only gurka I have bought) was ok. I know many people who love them which must be why they are around.

wayner123
06-20-2011, 12:18 PM

I have done blind taste tests with the sole purpose of getting me to like Gurkha's and they failed. It is the taste that makes me stay away from them.

dwoodward
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
I have a lot of Gurkha's in my humidor. I like them. For the price, they offer a great flavor. People can claim their marketing strategies are false, but whatever, the price is right and the taste is good. Smoke what you like they say, I agree 100%. but don't hate on something without trying it just because of how they market their product.

My favorites are the Regent, Legend, Beast, and Centurian.

Mr B
06-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I tried many of them when I first started out. None of them really made we want to go out and get more with the exception of 1.
I do like the Symphony with age on it. This is the only Gurkha I have in my humi.

icehog3
06-20-2011, 02:17 PM
I was just wondering if there were chemicals, dye added to maduros, etc. that made people stay away or hate them.

Nope....just the flavor.

Ogre
06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
The issue I have with Gurkha is the inconsistency. I bought 4 cigars from the same box, the first one was great. Then I smoked (or tried to) the second and third. I could not get past the 5th draw. I won't spend the money on a crap shoot!!!

scottdurand
06-20-2011, 11:16 PM
I've had a few of the, I thought the Ninja was decent. The problem I had was not isolated to Gurkha, but I found there were much better smokes at the same price available to me.

NCRadioMan
06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Somebody ask massphatness and The Dakotan if they like the Gurkha Viper. :r

I've had a couple I actually liked. Far more that I didn't. Probably will never smoke another, voluntarily. :D

icehog3
06-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Somebody ask massphatness and The Dakotan if they like the Gurkha Viper. :r

I remember my first puff from a Gurkha Legend, Greg.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/SHIVGurkha-1.jpg

NCRadioMan
06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
If you look close, you see me on your shoulder. ;)

I saw/heard when you started hacking up a lung and I walked over. Wish I didn't because that thing did taste very, very bad. :r

icehog3
06-20-2011, 11:29 PM
If you look close, you see me on your shoulder. ;)

I saw/heard when you started hacking up a lung and I walked over. Wish I didn't because that thing did taste very, very bad. :r

I see you....yup, you shoulda stayed where you were. :r

Thank Goodness Coach had that bottle of vokda ready and waiting! :r

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/pnoon1.jpg

Bill86
06-20-2011, 11:39 PM
For me, and I've never smoked one, but the MSRP's to cost obtainable on Cbid or whatever is ridiculously insane.

The Titan or whatever is like a $30 MSRP smoke, yet on cbid you get them for $3-$4. Somethings fishy there.......You know Cbids profiting too....

Also the over the top boxes......I mean it seems obvious where they spent the money eh?

That and the look on the admirals face.....No thanks.

The bands also look stupid to me, I guess that isn't a big deal, but they look really dumb.

For the final nail in the coffin, Gurkha His Majestys reserve....it's a $700 MSRP cognac infused acid and they market it as the best cigar in the world. The masses agree it's barely smokable. So obviously they are lying to you, and me. No reason to give them my money.

docdoty
06-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Not worth the money....the flavor is ok on some but they are way too inconsistent and have burn and draw issues...I have even smoked the 45 and 90 dollar ones the owner sent me to try and I didn't like them at all...that is IMHO though

AlohaStyle
06-21-2011, 12:38 AM
I have a lot of Gurkha's in my humidor. I like them. For the price, they offer a great flavor. People can claim their marketing strategies are false, but whatever, the price is right and the taste is good. Smoke what you like they say, I agree 100%. but don't hate on something without trying it just because of how they market their product.

My favorites are the Regent, Legend, Beast, and Centurian.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/seal-team-6-celebrates-with-gurkha-cigar-121498829.html

Why tell people what to think? Do you like that they send a box of cigars to the Navy and then create their own "press release" that the Nayy SEAL Team 6 celebrates with Gurkha? I agree that people should smoke what they like, but why tell someone they can/cannot like a company for their business practices, especially taking advantage of the name of popular military personnel? Nice frickin' headline trying to make people think they actually celebrated with these cigars when the reading actually admits they just sent the cigars to the Navy, not that they actually smoked them. They just want the headline to imply they did. Read that crap they write about being the Rolls Royce of cigars... LOL!

I've seen other "press releases" where they try and claim to be the best yada, yada. For me, I stay away because I didn't like the ones I've tried once I actually started smoking good cigars, plus it's too hard to keep track of what they actually make.

Here's what it says:

SEAL Team 6 Celebrates With Gurkha Cigar

GURKHA CIGARS SPECIAL OPERATIONS BOX The Gurkha Cigar Special Operations Box, includes 20 cigars, a knife and a challenge coin; inspired by the Navy SEALs. (PRNewsFoto/Gurkha Cigars) MIAMI, FL UNITED STATES

MIAMI, May 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Heading the week after a successful mission by the Special Operations Team known as the Navy SEALs, the team celebrates with a handmade luxury cigar. The military is known quite well through the premium cigar market as many cigar manufacturers support our troops overseas with product, sponsorship and encouragement. If you open any Cigar Magazine, you will note photos of our troops celebrating with a premium cigar, hoping to relax with a taste of comfort in a sometimes very uncomfortable place.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110509/CG97634 )

Gurkha Cigars, having a longstanding relationship with the Special Operations segments of our military released a SpecOps limited edition cigar last year, inspired by the Navy SEALs. The box of 20 sticks includes a knife and a challenge coin designed specifically for the military. Instead of a traditional cigar box, the package used is a pelican case, similar to those designed by the military to transport sensitive equipment and weapons. In this case, the fragile contents are a collection of the Gurkha Assassin, a trademarked rarity used by Gurkha Cigars for several years now. Only recently in Pakistan has the light come to shine on what the military ordinarily does quietly.

So what does SpecOps Team 6 celebrate with? A Gurkha Grand Reserve sent specially by Kaizad Hansotia, owner of Gurkha Cigars to his friends in the Navy. Gurkha has been known more recently as the world's most expensive cigar, releasing the Black Dragon in 2007. Gurkha has the premium cigar market redefined from their $20,000 boxes of 'HMRs' to their special collector's edition that demands over $150,000 for a box of cigars.

Now seen as a status symbol of luxury and the Rolls Royce of cigars, Gurkha continues to be the choice when a celebration in necessary. "Our focus has always been on exclusive, limited availability tobaccos, serving up the most unique and flavorful blends," said Hansotia, affectionately known in the industry as 'Kaizer.'

"When you are smoking a Gurkha you know three things: it's expensive, it's good, and a celebration is in order," said Hansotia. The Gurkha brand has a long history in exclusive trade and in support of the military. Originating in India as British settlers opened trade routes; the name continues the tradition of rarities from distant lands in support of ancient warriors and today is no different. Focusing specifically on the limited and exclusive lots of cigar tobacco has caused Gurkha's reputation to rise from a long history of premium cigars.

About Gurkha:

Gurkha Cigars is one of the most famous brands of luxury cigars in the world. Gurkha is known for limited release and rare tobacco products and the line is available at cigar retailers worldwide. With its extraordinary quality and premium blends of tobacco, Gurkha's cigar brands include the Grand Reserve, Elegance and Shaggy. Created in 1989 and based in Miami, Florida the Gurkha brand is wholly owned by the Beach Cigar Group Inc, privately held and led by President, Kaizad (Kaizer) Hansotia.

SOURCE Gurkha Cigars

icehog3
06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
the Rolls Royce of cigars

:lr :lr :lr :lr :lr

lilwing88
06-21-2011, 08:18 AM
I like some Gurkhas. The Evil, the Shaggy, and the Black Dragon are all very solid.

I just don't like that there's about 200 different blends of The Legend. Or is that just a band they put on every cigar when they run out of bands? :)

yourchoice
06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I've had a couple I actually liked. Far more that I didn't. Probably will never smoke another, voluntarily. :D

:tpd:

Green Lantern
06-21-2011, 09:46 AM

That is still a common process in the industry, but its dyed with food grade ingredients so no harm no foul right XD

NCRadioMan
06-21-2011, 09:49 AM
That is still a common process in the industry, but its dyed with food grade ingredients so no harm no foul right XD

Unless you come away with black lips and fingers, which I have seen. :r

If you see a jet black wrapper with no inconsistencies, it's dyed.

kickerb
06-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Ancient Warrior FTW!

Sled Dog
06-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I enjoy the Regent box pressed from Gurkha, always seem to be a nice smoke with those (for me at least)

Tyler
06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Unless you come away with black lips and fingers, which I have seen. :r

If you see a jet black wrapper with no inconsistencies, it's dyed.

Very wise advice as that is what I have noticed. The JR Alternative La Gloria Cubana Wavell (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=itemDetails&ItemCode=JRLGW3&/JR%20CUBAN%20ALTERNATIVES-LA%20GLORIA%20CUBANA%20WAVELL.html) turned my fingers and lips black as well as my pants as I didn't know my fingers were black and got my cell phone out of my pocket. Nasty little buggers. I now won't try most budget maduro sticks as I am almost certain they do a dye process of some sort. Although, I have heard great things about the Famous 5000 (I think that is the right number?) and people don't seem to complain about any kind of discoloration of the hands or face.

To add to the discussion of the main topic though, I did not have this happen to me when smoking the Gurkha. I will try some of the other Maduro Gurkhas sometime soon and see if it happens or not.

cmitch
06-21-2011, 03:39 PM
I expressed my sentiments on facebook:

dwoodward
06-21-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/seal-team-6-celebrates-with-gurkha-cigar-121498829.html

Why tell people what to think? Do you like that they send a box of cigars to the Navy and then create their own "press release" that the Nayy SEAL Team 6 celebrates with Gurkha? I agree that people should smoke what they like, but why tell someone they can/cannot like a company for their business practices, especially taking advantage of the name of popular military personnel? Nice frickin' headline trying to make people think they actually celebrated with these cigars when the reading actually admits they just sent the cigars to the Navy, not that they actually smoked them. They just want the headline to imply they did. Read that crap they write about being the Rolls Royce of cigars... LOL!

I've seen other "press releases" where they try and claim to be the best yada, yada. For me, I stay away because I didn't like the ones I've tried once I actually started smoking good cigars, plus it's too hard to keep track of what they actually make.

Here's what it says:

SEAL Team 6 Celebrates With Gurkha Cigar

GURKHA CIGARS SPECIAL OPERATIONS BOX The Gurkha Cigar Special Operations Box, includes 20 cigars, a knife and a challenge coin; inspired by the Navy SEALs. (PRNewsFoto/Gurkha Cigars) MIAMI, FL UNITED STATES

MIAMI, May 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Heading the week after a successful mission by the Special Operations Team known as the Navy SEALs, the team celebrates with a handmade luxury cigar. The military is known quite well through the premium cigar market as many cigar manufacturers support our troops overseas with product, sponsorship and encouragement. If you open any Cigar Magazine, you will note photos of our troops celebrating with a premium cigar, hoping to relax with a taste of comfort in a sometimes very uncomfortable place.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110509/CG97634 )

Gurkha Cigars, having a longstanding relationship with the Special Operations segments of our military released a SpecOps limited edition cigar last year, inspired by the Navy SEALs. The box of 20 sticks includes a knife and a challenge coin designed specifically for the military. Instead of a traditional cigar box, the package used is a pelican case, similar to those designed by the military to transport sensitive equipment and weapons. In this case, the fragile contents are a collection of the Gurkha Assassin, a trademarked rarity used by Gurkha Cigars for several years now. Only recently in Pakistan has the light come to shine on what the military ordinarily does quietly.

So what does SpecOps Team 6 celebrate with? A Gurkha Grand Reserve sent specially by Kaizad Hansotia, owner of Gurkha Cigars to his friends in the Navy. Gurkha has been known more recently as the world's most expensive cigar, releasing the Black Dragon in 2007. Gurkha has the premium cigar market redefined from their $20,000 boxes of 'HMRs' to their special collector's edition that demands over $150,000 for a box of cigars.

Now seen as a status symbol of luxury and the Rolls Royce of cigars, Gurkha continues to be the choice when a celebration in necessary. "Our focus has always been on exclusive, limited availability tobaccos, serving up the most unique and flavorful blends," said Hansotia, affectionately known in the industry as 'Kaizer.'

"When you are smoking a Gurkha you know three things: it's expensive, it's good, and a celebration is in order," said Hansotia. The Gurkha brand has a long history in exclusive trade and in support of the military. Originating in India as British settlers opened trade routes; the name continues the tradition of rarities from distant lands in support of ancient warriors and today is no different. Focusing specifically on the limited and exclusive lots of cigar tobacco has caused Gurkha's reputation to rise from a long history of premium cigars.

About Gurkha:

Gurkha Cigars is one of the most famous brands of luxury cigars in the world. Gurkha is known for limited release and rare tobacco products and the line is available at cigar retailers worldwide. With its extraordinary quality and premium blends of tobacco, Gurkha's cigar brands include the Grand Reserve, Elegance and Shaggy. Created in 1989 and based in Miami, Florida the Gurkha brand is wholly owned by the Beach Cigar Group Inc, privately held and led by President, Kaizad (Kaizer) Hansotia.

SOURCE Gurkha Cigars

I'm confused when you say that Gurkha is marketing that article when clearly it's on some random news website not affiliated with Gurkha in anyway. But even so, why wouldn't Gurkha advertise that Seal Team 6 likes their cigars? Any manufacturer would do the same. I'm confused why Gurkha advertising that they support the troops makes them any different from other manufacturers that do the exact same.

AlohaStyle
06-21-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm confused when you say that Gurkha is marketing that article when clearly it's on some random news website not affiliated with Gurkha in anyway. But even so, why wouldn't Gurkha advertise that Seal Team 6 likes their cigars? Any manufacturer would do the same. I'm confused why Gurkha advertising that they support the troops makes them any different from other manufacturers that do the exact same.

Not affiliated with Gurkha in any way?!? Look at the bottom, the source is FROM GURKHA... meaning they wrote the "press release." If you didn't notice, I bolded that sentence in my original post. I've seen other laughable "press releases" that were written from Gurkha as well.

And why wouldn't they advertise the Seal 6 Team likes them? Because all they said is they sent the cigars to them... this is classic marketing BS, writing things that imply one thing, but actually admit to something entirely far from what they are implying. If you actually believe the SEAL 6 Team celebrated with these cigars, I have something nice to sell you...

Edit: I would have much more respect for them if they simply said they sponsor the Navy SEALs and created a special cigar to honor them... not try to capitalize on the recent fame of the SEAL 6 team by claiming they celebrated with their cigars.

dwoodward
06-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Not affiliated with Gurkha in any way?!? Look at the bottom, the source is FROM GURKHA... meaning they wrote the "press release." If you didn't notice, I bolded that sentence in my original post. I've seen other laughable "press releases" that were written from Gurkha as well.

And why wouldn't they advertise the Seal 6 Team likes them? Because all they said is they sent the cigars to them... this is classic marketing BS, writing things that imply one thing, but actually admit to something entirely far from what they are implying. If you actually believe the SEAL 6 Team celebrated with these cigars, I have something nice to sell you...

Edit: I would have much more respect for them if they simply said they sponsor the Navy SEALs and created a special cigar to honor them... not try to capitalize on the recent fame of the SEAL 6 team by claiming they celebrated with their cigars.

But this is still no different from any other manufacturer in all sorts of industries. This is done every day all the time. For instance, Dell computers all the time advertises their "XPS Laptop as the fastest laptop on the planet". Well as it might come to no surprise, the laptop I picked up from another manufacturer for less actually benched almost twice as fast as the Dell in their article. Maybe not the same thing, but the marketing practice is the same. Kind of like how Burger King a few years back marketed that their fries in blind tastings scored higher than McDonalds. There was no tastings at all, Burger King just said there was to get sales. And you can bet the exact same things go on in the Cigar industry, and Gurkha isn't the only one doing it either.

AlohaStyle
06-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Brother, I don't care if you or anyone else likes Gurkha, that's fine by me. If you don't care that they are exploiting our fine military then so be it, but I do. I find it very different than claiming to be the fastest computer.

icehog3
06-22-2011, 12:18 AM
So what does SpecOps Team 6 celebrate with? A Gurkha Grand Reserve sent specially by Kaizad Hansotia, owner of Gurkha Cigars to his friends in the Navy.

Gurkha sends some cigars to a contact in the Navy, then just claims that Team 6 smoked them to celebrate the OBL mission....and that is OK? I would bet a dollar to donuts that nobody from Team 6 ever saw one of those cigars. ;)

Geez, Jack Daniels should send a case to the Navy and say the Team 6 all got waxed on it to celebrate as well. :rolleyes:

Bill86
06-22-2011, 12:25 AM
That's probably a good thing though Tom, such a great deed they did to be rewarded like that is a slap in the face, no?

lilwing88
06-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Had a Gurkha Nepalese Warrior with about 3yrs of age on it. Very good smoke. So, for reference, these do well with age.....

Starscream
06-26-2011, 07:34 PM
I haven't tried every Gurkha, but all of the one's I have tasted have had a similar "earthy" profile, or "dirt" as I call it. I've pretty much written off the entire brand.

Caymus
06-26-2011, 07:56 PM
There are two things I don't like about Gurkha that others have mentioned: 1) They have so many labels and blends, I can't keep them straight. I'm overwhelmed. I feel like Rocky Patel is heading down this road too, though I like a lot of his labels. 2) I'm turned off by their misleading pricing structure. They claim retail prices of $20 a cigar or so, but can be found regularly and easily for $3 - 4 online.

There are some that are ok, others I've had were boring. I haven't had one that I recall that was outstandng. I'm still open to trying ones I haven't had though.

sheeper
06-27-2011, 06:19 AM
it IS hard to keep track of the different Gurkhas. But the Beast, Titan, Ninja, Assassin, Viper, Evil and Empires are all good smokes.
and i can't say if all Navy Seals smoke 'em but the couple of Seals that i work with do.

baddevildog82
06-27-2011, 06:36 AM
I smoked my first (A shaggy Belicoso) last week and it was an OK stick. Very mild. I have been smoking cigars for about ten years but have always stayed away from Gurkha due to friends opinions and their marketing. My first experience with them though was not a bad one and I will give a couple of others a try.

Apoco
06-27-2011, 07:49 AM
The Ninja, Status, and Assassins were each pretty decent sticks (as long as you don't buy them at MSRP). Nothing else I've had by them has really been all that great. I just don't tend to reach for their stuff any more due to my frustrations and putting down a cigar from the same brand over and over again. I'd much rather reach for Padron, AF, Tat, RyJ, Illusione, etc etc etc.

No grudges here, I just don't parciularly like their stuff :sh
Posted via Mobile Device

bishjd123
06-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I've had a couple of good Gurkha's, the 1887 comes to mind. I just won't be looking for them since there are so many different versions. Give me a few core blends with some varying wrappers and sizes and call it a day.