PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS

RevSmoke
06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I am looking at getting a handheld GPS for Father's Day/Anniversary. We want one that I can use in the woods, geo-caching, and will also function in the car getting from place to place. It wouldn't be a bad thing if it could do stuff on the water either.

I'd like to leave it under $300, or even much less.

I have been looking a bit, and one that seems to come up to the top is Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

So, is this a good purchase? Or does anybody have a better suggestion?

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Old Sailor
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Had one awhile back....top notch!!:2

Ranger_B
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Todd if you can find one I would say yeah its a good unit. I have used the Etrex as well. I use a Delorme at work and it is great too. Might want to check this out. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31585&section=10461 I like the maps with this as well.

J0eybb
06-17-2011, 04:29 PM
I use a Delorme PN-20, I think. came with topo maps, and all of the US, plus so much credit for more detailed maps. Paid $200 when it was their only model. Saw them on ebay for a lot less.

Ratters
06-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Always check Amazon for GPSs, they frequently have very great deals and free shipping.

I have a Garmin Nuvi, mostly car oriented, but I love the thing. And the Nuvis are incredibly cheap. Problem is the built in batteries and short battery life so won't be that great for your application.

TXRebel
06-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I've been using a GPSMAP 60CSx for about 5 years with no complaints. The screen is to small to navigate with while driving. I believe it is a discontinued unit and will be replaced by the 62.

RevSmoke
06-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Todd if you can find one I would say yeah its a good unit. I have used the Etrex as well. I use a Delorme at work and it is great too. Might want to check this out. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31585&section=10461 I like the maps with this as well.

Your link has it out of stock. I found it at http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthmate-PN-40-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B001FVLTNA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308413312&sr=1-1

Is this the same model?

If you have used both, which is better?

As I said, one of the uses will be in the car and traveling. Someone stated the that GarminŽ GPSMAP 60CSx has a small screen and was difficult to use while driving. Do you see that as an issue - is the Delorme any better in that regard? Or is it a wash either way?

Thanks for the help.

RevSmoke
06-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Your link has it out of stock. I found it at http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthmate-PN-40-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B001FVLTNA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308413312&sr=1-1

Is this the same model?

If you have used both, which is better?

As I said, one of the uses will be in the car and traveling. Someone stated the that GarminŽ GPSMAP 60CSx has a small screen and was difficult to use while driving. Do you see that as an issue - is the Delorme any better in that regard? Or is it a wash either way?

Thanks for the help.

Anybody else have any suggestions on this comparison?

RevSmoke
07-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, ended up getting the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Used it on vacation. If there is one feature that I would like to have had on there, it is the ability to type in the name of a restaurant/point of interest/etc... and not simply just search those areas to see what is locally available. It would have been nice to look for a Big Boy in Ignace while still in Traverse City (Pauline had a nostalgic hankering for Big Boy, and we figured that Ignace was the right place, in regard to travel distance, for our lunch) that way, while traveling, we could have known if we should look for one closer or futher on our route.

I know where to enter an address and execute a search in that manner, but I 'd like to do it without knowing the address, just knowing the name.

Anyway, just a small issue, but one that would have made it a nicer unit.

Or, maybe I just need to figure out how to do a specific name search. :D

Thanks for the help and suggestions as I did the investigative process before purchase.

Ratters
07-12-2011, 12:58 AM
That's one of the things that makes me like the GPS on my phone, I can google search anything and in two clicks have it telling me how to get there. But phones don't work well for gps when you get out to the boonies as they download maps as you go.

Congrats on the new unit! :tu

Bill86
07-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Yeah I like the GPS on my Iphone. I had no luck with most handhelds. :td

Probably better now then like 4 years ago though.