PDA

View Full Version : Infested!

688sonarmen
06-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Guess it was only a matter of time. I have a hatch of beetles in one of my boxes. I hope I caught it early enough since I've been going through my stock about every day now. That being said I purchased the "New Air" 28 bottle wine cooler, does anyone have this model? If so how is it and do you have cedar shelves for it? Damn beetles!

Subvet642
06-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Aw man! What a friggin drag! :c

hscmit
06-16-2011, 07:32 AM
sorry to hear it

get em in the freezer bro

massphatness
06-16-2011, 07:35 AM
And this is precisely why I freeze EVERYTHING that comes in. If I kill all the eggs, I don't have to worry about a compressor failing in a VinoTemp during a heat wave or any other of the hundreds of possible things that can lead to an infestation.

I hope everything works out for you controlling the infestation. :(

For anyone who's unfamilair with freezing cigars, there's a sticky on the subject HERE (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919&highlight=freezing+science)

688sonarmen
06-16-2011, 07:45 AM
And this is precisely why I freeze EVERYTHING that comes in. If I kill all the eggs, I don't have to worry about a compressor failing in a VinoTemp during a heat wave or any other of the hundreds of possible things that can lead to an infestation.

I hope everything works out for you controlling the infestation. :(

For anyone who's unfamilair with freezing cigars, there's a sticky on the subject HERE (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919&highlight=freezing+science)

Good info there Vin, I will take that on board!

jesseboston81
06-16-2011, 07:50 AM
And this is precisely why I freeze EVERYTHING that comes in.

This is the same policy I take (even though I have a vino), and stories like this make me glad I do. Sorry to hear about your infestation, Jake, but I'm glad you caught it early.

kelmac07
06-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Sorry to hear Jake.

Zeuceone
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Time to start smoking.

688sonarmen
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear Jake.

Thanks Mac

Time to start smoking.

Haha, right?

There are worse things, I had been telling the wife I need a wine cooler, but after I bought a Montague last year she was not hearing it to well. After showing her the cigar with beetles in it, I dropped it and said "They are going to be all over the house now!" It was easy to talk her into a wine cooler:r But yeah, there is a lot less room in the cooler than what I have now, I hope it all fits, if not the troops will be getting what I can't store:tu

76GTFan
06-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks Mac

Haha, right?

There are worse things, I had been telling the wife I need a wine cooler, but after I bought a Montague last year she was not hearing it to well. After showing her the cigar with beetles in it, I dropped it and said "They are going to be all over the house now!" It was easy to talk her into a wine cooler:r But yeah, there is a lot less room in the cooler than what I have now, I hope it all fits, if not the troops will be getting what I can't store:tu

I have vino with shelves along with a cooler for long term storage.:2

LostAbbott
06-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Do you have pictures? I would love to see them. Also do you know the box where the infestation came from?

688sonarmen
06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Do you have pictures? I would love to see them. Also do you know the box where the infestation came from?

It was a box of Tatuaje Unicos, the cigar is in the trash. I'll dig it out.

neoflex
06-16-2011, 02:35 PM
I was almost expecting to hear the culprit box was from a Swiss Chocolate factory. Nothing against those factories but anytime I have had an issue it was always with my chocolates.:D
Sorry to hear of your outbreak. I do hate these post because it always has me ripping out every cigar I own for inspection. Looks like I have my work cut out for me Saturday.:r

688sonarmen
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1068.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1069.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1070.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1084.jpg

In the 3rd pic "Big Bertha" is still alive on the foot, the close up later on I squashed her big butt:su

Flounder
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Yuck. Just getting my desktop regulated now. Still gotta go pick up a hydrometer. Glad I stay in our finished basement, never gets much above 70. Although I do know people who pay no mind to their temp sometimes it gets well over 80 in their humi, and they have never had problems.

AlohaStyle
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Damn, that's a big sucker... sorry man. At least he has good taste!

Flounder
06-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Damn, that's a big sucker... sorry man. At least he has good taste!

Wouldn't you rather him have less-good taste?

Drez
06-16-2011, 03:06 PM
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1068.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1084.jpg

In the 3rd pic "Big Bertha" is still alive on the foot, the close up later on I squashed her big butt:su

makes me want to cry. sorry for the loss man.

to the freezer everything else goes......

LostAbbott
06-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Wow, thanks for posting these shots. I always imagines beetles being the size of flees... Good luck with the rest of your sticks.

Ogre
06-16-2011, 03:30 PM
That just sucks, makes me want to leave work and go check mine!!!!

Remo
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
I just did, moved all mine down to the basement, getting a little warm upstairs!!

Ranger_B
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Ick I hate bugs. Sorry man.

Sherlockholms
06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
That's too bad Jake! I finally pushed my self to freeze my stash after seeing this.

TBone
06-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Damn Jake sorry to hear, but now I need a new freezer to fit mine in...

Bill86
06-16-2011, 06:36 PM
I thought about freezing but I just went temperature regulation. Basement hit 70 during the day, I ordered an edgestar. Summers get too hot around here, it'll be 65 degree temperature regulated from now on.

688sonarmen
06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I thought about freezing but I just went temperature regulation. Basement hit 70 during the day, I ordered an edgestar. Summers get too hot around here, it'll be 65 degree temperature regulated from now on.

Newair 28 count is on the way, I'm hoping to get 2 years out of it. Kind of an impulse buy now that I'm going to freeze everything but it can be my CC storage:D

hammondc
06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Smoke em out!!!!!!!

Bill86
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Newair 28 count is on the way, I'm hoping to get 2 years out of it. Kind of an impulse buy now that I'm going to freeze everything but it can be my CC storage:D

That's what I'll be doing....I'll have like 3 boxes NC (50 ish cigars) then the rest is all CC. I expect to have zero beetle problems with temperature regulated 2008 or newer CC's.

OLS
06-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Haha, that's a great shot in number 3.....Sorry for your slight loss, most of the time if your boxes close snugly,
the way most US-available boxes do now that everyone is so over the top in the packaging, it is easy to
control an infestation. It's these people that just HAVE to bust all their cigars out into singles drawers or display
their boxes open that suffer the big losses. ;)

SvilleKid
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
hmmmmmm A Tat???!!??? Last beetle damage I had was on a Tat Black! Pete needs to step up his game and start a freezing process!

688sonarmen
06-17-2011, 02:02 PM
EVERYTHING before it goes into the deep freeze, I'm trying not to think about it but I'm am a little worried that the freeze is going to mess up my whole stash.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1091.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1090.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1089.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1088.jpg
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l617/jakestich1/DSCN1087.jpg

NCRadioMan
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
EVERYTHING before it goes into the deep freeze, I'm trying not to think about it but I'm am a little worried that the freeze is going to mess up my whole stash.

Most manufacturer's, including Habanos SA, freeze them before they go to distributors and/or b&m's. It's common practice so no worries. :tu

massphatness
06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Most manufacturer's, including Habanos SA, freeze them before they go to distributors and/or b&m's. It's common practice so no worries. :tu

Mr. Lovebiscuit is wise

croatan
06-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Mr. Lovebiscuit is wise

Yep.

Some folks have claimed to be able to tell a cigar that's been frozen from one that wasn't. I've done side by sides and couldn't tell a bit of difference. :2

Duke9192
06-17-2011, 09:06 PM
That SUCKS!!!!!!!

Apoco
06-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Yep.

Some folks have claimed to be able to tell a cigar that's been frozen from one that wasn't. I've done side by sides and couldn't tell a bit of difference. :2

:tpd:

No effect at all here either. I usually do: 24 hours fridge, 72 hours deep freeze, 24 hours fridge, 12 hours room, humi. I think that is how bthe freezing science thread recommends
Posted via Mobile Device

emopunker2004
06-18-2011, 08:28 AM

No effect at all here either. I usually do: 24 hours fridge, 72 hours deep freeze, 24 hours fridge, 12 hours room, humi. I think that is how bthe freezing science thread recommends
Posted via Mobile Device

yeh the freeze time varies based on your freezers temp in Celcius. My freezer is COLD. That bugger his -21* C!!

Cenookie
06-18-2011, 10:09 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Same here, so far so good:tu.

montecristo#2
06-18-2011, 10:17 PM
I have seen a bug in a newer box of habanos - so I am not so sure about their freezing process.

I still inspect everything I receive NC or CC and store everything at 65F.

alexa071
06-18-2011, 11:52 PM
I think the freezing science sticky suggests 48 hours in the deep freeze with 12-24 hours in the fridge on either side. I've been following that ritually and I've never had a ruined cigar. I've frozen everywhere from $1 sticks to $30 sticks and never had a problem. No shrinkage, no cracked wrappers, no beetles and as far as I can tell no noticeable difference in flavor. I hope everything comes out well for you! It can't be any worse than having insects devour your smokes right?!

Randy

NCRadioMan
06-19-2011, 08:39 AM
I have seen a bug in a newer box of habanos - so I am not so sure about their freezing process.

They do it to industry standards as Altadis does with all their handmade cigars. However, nothing full-proof.

688sonarmen
06-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I messaged Pete Johnson on FB asking if they freeze their stock. Pete said they fumigate all their stock and once again after they are rolled. It's still way up in the air with Padron and others freezing their stock and some fumigating. Not sure what the process is for fumigating or the chemicals used if any but I'll stick to the most natural way of dealing with beetles IMO freezing. One thing I would like to know is the experts views on the two (DPG, AF, Padron, ect)

NCRadioMan
06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
I messaged Pete Johnson on FB asking if they freeze their stock. Pete said they fumigate all their stock and once again after they are rolled. It's still way up in the air with Padron and others freezing their stock and some fumigating. Not sure what the process is for fumigating or the chemicals used if any but I'll stick to the most natural way of dealing with beetles IMO freezing. One thing I would like to know is the experts views on the two (DPG, AF, Padron, ect)
There is a video posted somewhere on here of a short tour of the Padron headquarters in Miami and he shows the freezer, with cigars in it, and says every cigar that comes in is frozen.

About 99% of the nc's I smoke are made by Pepin. I am not a big fan of AF.

I did say that most, not all, do freeze. But they all fumigate.

Don't worry about too much. Odds are, you will never see another beetle again.

Average Joe
06-19-2011, 09:13 AM

:r people hate on "infused" or "flavored" acids but loves "fumigated" tatuajes. :r

icehog3
06-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Your Acids are fumigated too, so they are infused AND fumigated. ;)

strife
06-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Fumigated with what? DDT?

688sonarmen
06-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Raid I think.

kydsid
06-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Nothing wrong with using DDT if they are, it is effective. Lot of myths and fallicies about DDT. But DDT isn't a fumigant. ;)

Personally I would hope they are using Methyl Bromide, but I doubt it.

Average Joe
06-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Your Acids are fumigated too, so they are infused AND fumigated. ;)

:dr the fumigation gives them the floral notes and the infusion gives them the sweetness. -(P

alexa071
06-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I forgot to mention... since I've never had a problem freezing my cigars maybe it's that I have just the PERFECT temperature in my deep freeze. If you want you can send me your entire stash and I'll freeze them for you... If on the OFF CHANCE they get ruined I'll just dispose of them for you! :r:r:r

Randy

688sonarmen
06-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I pulled my cigars out of the freezer today. They were at 7f for 72hrs. I now have them in my old coolidors slowly getting back to room temp. My Newair 28 will be here Thursday and I'll stock her up!

massphatness
06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
:tu

jjirons69
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Fumigate - YUKE!

From Cubancigarwebsite:

Before packing, the cigars are fumigated with Phosphine (Phosphorus Hydride) to control the tobacco beetle Serricorne, and then conditioned in bundles in cedar lined cabinets, to reduce and stabilise their moisture.

From Wiki:

Phosphine (IUPAC name: phosphane) is the compound with the chemical formula PH3. It is a colorless, flammable, toxic gas. Pure phosphine is odorless, but technical grade samples have a highly unpleasant odor like garlic or rotting fish. For farm use, pellets of aluminium phosphide, calcium phosphide, or zinc phosphide release phosphine upon contact with atmospheric water or rodents' stomach acid. These pellets also contain agents to reduce the potential for ignition or explosion of the released phosphine. Because the previously popular fumigant methyl bromide has been phased out in most countries under the Montreal Protocol, phosphine is the only widely used, cost effective, rapidly acting fumigant that does not leave residues on the stored product.

http://www.cdc.gov/NIOSH/ershdb/images/nfpa/442.gif

kydsid
06-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Fumigate - YUKE!

]

Then I won't tell you how many things you use and consume on a daily basis are fumigated with Phosphine gas. ;)

688sonarmen
06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Newair showed up yesterday and I now have it plugged in with beads in it. It's holding steady at 65% 65f, I'm going to give to a few days and fill it up. No shelves no ETC and see how it goes.

wayner123
06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Fumigate - YUKE!

From Cubancigarwebsite:

Before packing, the cigars are fumigated with Phosphine (Phosphorus Hydride) to control the tobacco beetle Serricorne, and then conditioned in bundles in cedar lined cabinets, to reduce and stabilise their moisture.

From Wiki:

Phosphine (IUPAC name: phosphane) is the compound with the chemical formula PH3. It is a colorless, flammable, toxic gas. Pure phosphine is odorless, but technical grade samples have a highly unpleasant odor like garlic or rotting fish. For farm use, pellets of aluminium phosphide, calcium phosphide, or zinc phosphide release phosphine upon contact with atmospheric water or rodents' stomach acid. These pellets also contain agents to reduce the potential for ignition or explosion of the released phosphine. Because the previously popular fumigant methyl bromide has been phased out in most countries under the Montreal Protocol, phosphine is the only widely used, cost effective, rapidly acting fumigant that does not leave residues on the stored product.

http://www.cdc.gov/NIOSH/ershdb/images/nfpa/442.gif

That's very interesting. For the nerds/geek out there that want to learn more I found a great write up: http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/documentStore/h/w/z/hwz20d00/Shwz20d00.pdf

It seems that Phosphine does not affect flavor, but can affect aroma. According to the pdf, it also has not proven to be harmful. However, Methyl Bromide has been found to affect flavor and it is not used.