PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Cooleridor?

Flounder
06-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I looked in the search feature, but couldn't find anything.

What do you all have to share on establishing a cooleridor? If I carelessly overlooked a sticky or a thread elsewhere, please just point me in that direction.

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Not much to it. Throw some cedar in there, or broken up boxes, some KL or beads, hygrometer and some sticks. Just make sure you season the wood before hand.

Ranger_B
06-11-2011, 09:07 PM
No time for google fuu right now. Yes the info is here. Basicly get a big clean cooler. Find some beads get a good hygronometer and if you want some fans like the oust fans that cycle on and off. Place beads throughout the cooler load with all you smokes and start filling her up. Check the beads every 2 weeks or so and your hygro as well.

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Buy a cooler (70-160 quart) go to walmart they have tons, Colemans are great
buy heartfelt beads (I went with 2 pounds for 120 quarts) (www.heartfeltindustries.com)
Scrub out the cooler with baking soda and hot water
Let it sit out in the sun for a bit
Make sure there is no plastic smell
Scrub the whole inside, lid included

Do this twice just for the hell of it (including the buying 2 coolers :r, kidding....sorta)

Buy a empty clear sprayer bottle
Place the beads inside (spray them 60% clear with distilled water ONLY)
Don't go cheap get the mesh bags from heartfelt as well (it's so much easier)

Place cigars inside
Close the lid

Drink beers till you fall over.

/end

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I guess we need a little more details. How big is the cooler you want to set up? There is the marine 150qt I believe that has the slots in it. I have seen people stand them up and put cedar trays in them. They would then have the KL at the bottom, a bag in the middle and a fan to circulate the air. I have a smaller 36qt one, I did not have to do much. I broke some boxes up and lined it, seasoned the cedar. Then added about 8oz of KL, my meter and some cheap plastic baskets and it is holding around 61-64%rh.

Also to the above post, you can use some news paper. Throw it in there over night or for the day or two and the carbon in the paper will eliminate any smells.

jesseboston81
06-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Drink beers till you fall over.

This is probably the most important step. Make sure to repeat as necessary.

Flounder
06-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm a fan of the beer part. However I do enjoy bourbon and a good gin and tonic in the warmer months. Good to know it is simple.

Do I spray the beads until they are "60% clear" or until 60% of them are clear?

And if I put the cigars in boxes, and then in the cooler, do I want to put the beads inside the boxes or just the cooler? And so I have to season the insides of the boxes as well?

Fordman4ever
06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm working on that step right now~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill86
I guess we need a little more details. How big is the cooler you want to set up? There is the marine 150qt I believe that has the slots in it. I have seen people stand them up and put cedar trays in them. They would then have the KL at the bottom, a bag in the middle and a fan to circulate the air. I have a smaller 36qt one, I did not have to do much. I broke some boxes up and lined it, seasoned the cedar. Then added about 8oz of KL, my meter and some cheap plastic baskets and it is holding around 61-64%rh.

Also to the above post, you can use some news paper. Throw it in there over night or for the day or two and the carbon in the paper will eliminate any smells.

Cedar lining is unnecessary. If you have beads you will never need it. I really pay just about zero attention to my humidor and it's rock solid 65 RH with 65 RH beads

This is probably the most important step. Make sure to repeat as necessary.

Yes, basically if you did anything wrong.....this is the step to repeat.

Also I left out....the heartfelt industries beads....buy the 65RH.

Now I'm going to go drink vodka redbulls till I fall over.

PM me if you have any questions, on the beer, redbulls or cooler.

Flounder
I guess we need a little more details. How big is the cooler you want to set up?

not sure how big yet, have to do some shopping, don't need anything huge for now, just curious if it's a hassle or relatively pain-free.

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Just the cooler. The cigars will be fine. As for the beads, I would spray them about 50/50 and see where it holds, then spray some more.

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Coolers are very easyto set up.

Once you find a cooler that fits your need size wise make sure it has a good seep on the lid. Most people will use a marine cooler or a Coleman xtreme.

Once yOu pick up the cooler you need to buy beads or whatever you are gonna use for humidification.

If you go with beads you can use this site to find out how much you will need.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Once you get the beads then you can rinse the cooler out and let it dry out to get any "plastic" smell it might have. After a rinse and dry throw the beads in the cooler and a hygro in there.

Now you can buy Spanish cedar trays or just use old boxes to store singles and take up some room. If you go to walmart or some large store like that you could also just pick up some cheap plastic trays or bins also.

That's about it for coolers.

1.buy cooler
2.rinse cooler
3.add beads (or other form of humidiy)
4.add cigars once you reach desired humidity

Simple.

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm a fan of the beer part. However I do enjoy bourbon and a good gin and tonic in the warmer months. Good to know it is simple.

Do I spray the beads until they are "60% clear" or until 60% of them are clear?

And if I put the cigars in boxes, and then in the cooler, do I want to put the beads inside the boxes or just the cooler? And so I have to season the insides of the boxes as well?

60% "of them" are clear....roughly no exact science or counting involved.

Beads are IN the cooler, not in boxes.

There is no seasoning involved in any of this at all. That's why coolidors are so simple, effective and carefree.

EDIT Frank, you left out the most important thing...binge drink till you pass out. :sl :sl

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Cedar lining is unnecessary. If you have beads you will never need it. I really pay just about zero attention to my humidor and it's rock solid 65 RH with 65 RH beads

In my case anyways. I had major RH fluxations in my cooler, even with the cigars in it. I ended up having to add some wood to level it out. My understanding was there was nothing but plastic, so nothing to absorb and hold the rh.

jesseboston81
Using kitty litter (as opposed to humidification beads or some other device) will save you a ton of money. Use the link Frank posted to figure out how many pounds you need, then split that amount into 4 or so pantyhose stockings.

Flounder

There is no seasoning involved in any of this at all. That's why coolidors are so simple, effective and carefree.

I'm liking the sound of this. Too bad I wasted $20 on a 20 count. Maybe I'll just use it to keep my favorites to the side... And if I make a video review cheaphumidors will send me 5 free sticks...

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Just a tip for recharging beads that I do in my vino and cooler is I just place a couple cups of water and "gel" I have in there for a few days whenever I need to recharge the beads. Keeps me from over spraying the beads and leading to a humi spike.

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:21 PM

EDIT Frank, you left out the most important thing...binge drink till you pass out. :sl :sl

Your right bill i forgot. You have to drink a six pack before you even start and then a beer after every step.

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:22 PM
In my case anyways. I had major RH fluxations in my cooler, even with the cigars in it. I ended up having to add some wood to level it out.

I don't want to get into the whole KL debate here, and neither does anyone else.

But I'm going to say your fluctuations are because of the KL.

Now lets not mention it anymore in this thread so it doesn't turn into a huge debate and ruin the thread

If you want to go the KL route....research that and you're on your own. Starting a topic on it is a dumpster fire here.....

Beads are simple, effective and VERY VERY easy. They aren't that expensive for a LIFETIME of perfect RH.

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm liking the sound of this. Too bad I wasted $20 on a 20 count. Maybe I'll just use it to keep my favorites to the side... And if I make a video review cheaphumidors will send me 5 free sticks...

There ya go. It's not a big deal. I wasted $140 on a desktop. Be happy you discovered coolers now and only spent $20 before hand.

You live, you learn, reading is key. Coolers aren't pretty but damn they store a hell of a lot for VERY little $$$. My 120 quart with beads, with hygro was like $140 or so. I can store probably 40 or so BOXES. So I'm not complaining one damn bit.

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't want to get into the whole KL debate here, and neither does anyone else.

But I'm going to say your fluctuations are because of the KL.

Now lets not mention it anymore in this thread so it doesn't turn into a huge debate and ruin the thread

If you want to go the KL route....research that and you're on your own. Starting a topic on it is a dumpster fire here.....

Beads are simple, effective and VERY VERY easy. They aren't that expensive for a LIFETIME of perfect RH.

Does it keep perfect rh even with one stick in it? Just curious.

Flounder
06-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Nice. I'll probably have more questions once I start setting it up, but for the next week or so, I'm set.

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Like stated before you don't need cedar in a cooler. Here is mine and you can see I just use plastic trays/bins with zero problems.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/fmejido/ba549059.jpg

Also I never went the kitty litter route cause I just bought beads and since day one I have never had a problem with them. It keeps everything nice and worry free for me.

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Matt at one point i had just a 5er or so in my cooler and it stayed right at 64-66

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM

It's a 120 quart, the smallest amount I had was 2 boxes in it....relatively speaking that is almost nothing compared to it's capacity. It held rock solid 65 RH.

I would assume the same empty but I got quite a bit in there now and don't feel like taking it all out.

Nice. I'll probably have more questions once I start setting it up, but for the next week or so, I'm set.

Shoot me a PM anytime, I'm pretty much always here.

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
It's a 120 quart, the smallest amount I had was 2 boxes in it....relatively speaking that is almost nothing compared to it's capacity. It held rock solid 65 RH.

I would assume the same empty but I got quite a bit in there now and don't feel like taking it all out.

Shoot me a PM anytime, I'm pretty much always here.

Bill doesn't really have a life outside of CA :r

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Matt at one point i had just a 5er or so in my cooler and it stayed right at 64-66

Hmm, this is something I will have to look into. I'm not saying that beads are better then kl or vise versa, they are about the same imo. For some odd reason I kept having massive rh fluxes. I know some people who have kl and no cedar and it keeps perfect, so I am curious what was causing it. It makes me want to take the cedar I have in my cooler out and see what it holds at. would cedar be needed for long term storage in a cooler, say a years time?

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Hmm, this is something I will have to look into. I'm not saying that beads are better then kl or vise versa, they are about the same imo. For some odd reason I kept having massive rh fluxes. I know some people who have kl and no cedar and it keeps perfect, so I am curious what was causing it. It makes me want to take the cedar I have in my cooler out and see what it holds at. would cedar be needed for long term storage in a cooler, say a years time?

No, you never need cedar in a coolidor. Again I don't want to get into this too much....it's not that the KL doesn't "work". It's that it isn't reliable.

Get beads (heartfelt), get twice as much as is required I GUARANTEE you will NEVER have an issue.

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I know, no need for a debate. It's just what was the cheapest at the time. When you open the lid to your cooler is there any drop in rh?

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I know, no need for a debate. It's just what was the cheapest at the time. When you open the lid to your cooler is there any drop in rh?

Not really, unless I keep it open for like 5 minutes. Even then it just drops to 60-62 or so. With the amount of beads I have in it...climbs right back up in no time.

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Not really, unless I keep it open for like 5 minutes. Even then it just drops to 60-62 or so. With the amount of beads I have in it...climbs right back up in no time.

+1 I keep just over 2 pounds in my vino and my cooler is just a 48qt and I have 1.5 pounds in there.

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the info, I believe I will scrap the cedar and see how it does. I will still roll with the kl right now as it is a cheap alternative at the moment. But if cedar isn't needed for long term storage or to regulate the rh. Then I shouldnt have it in there.

jesseboston81
06-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info, I believe I will scrap the cedar and see how it does. I will still roll with the kl right now as it is a cheap alternative at the moment. But if cedar isn't needed for long term storage or to regulate the rh. Then I shouldnt have it in there.

I'm avoiding the great debate that has been amply covered in other threads, but I use KL and I've never had problems. I believe the secret is using at least double the recommended amount of whatever your humidification device of choice may be (KL, beads, etc.) Using that much gives ample overage to absorb spikes and quickly compensate for humidor opening.

Drez
06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm avoiding the great debate that has been amply covered in other threads, but I use KL and I've never had problems. I believe the secret is using at least double the recommended amount of whatever your humidification device of choice may be (KL, beads, etc.) Using that much gives ample overage to absorb spikes and quickly compensate for humidor opening.

I'm a firm believer of use whatever works for you!

KL or beads or gel whatever if it hold humidity where you like it and your smokes are how you like them then :tu

Bill86
06-11-2011, 09:56 PM

I agree, however it might be helping out with the KL. I'd say test it without and see what happens....run some tests, couldn't hurt.

But I still say.........

Don't buy cigars whenever you get $$, buy 1 pound of beads and a mesh bag (I'd recommend 1 pound and 2 half pound mesh bags put at opposite ends of your humi/cooler). If it doesn't work, mark my words I'll send you a nice 5'er.

I'd be more than happy to put my money where my mouth is.

Always trying to help.

MurphysLaw
06-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm a firm believer of use whatever works for you!

KL or beads or gel whatever if it hold humidity where you like it and your smokes are how you like them then :tu

:tpd: well said!

Sherlockholms
06-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I agree, however it might be helping out with the KL. I'd say test it without and see what happens....run some tests, couldn't hurt.

But I still say.........

Don't buy cigars whenever you get $$, buy 1 pound of beads and a mesh bag (I'd recommend 1 pound and 2 half pound mesh bags put at opposite ends of your humi/cooler). If it doesn't work, mark my words I'll send you a nice 5'er.

I'd be more than happy to put my money where my mouth is.

Always trying to help.

Well you figure a half pound of beads is $18(from the hearfelt industries site) and 8 pounds of kl is $15 or less. It was just the better choice. But when I am able to I will grab some beads. It has been about 3 months and I have not had to change the 8oz of kl I have in there. And I still have 7 and some pounds left. Lol, I will put the beads on my long list of stuff to buy.

Bill86
06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
There ya go....I guess lets just say I'm very lazy by nature. I put literally half of nothing of effort into my humi. I have 500 or so cigars so for me I don't want anything to happen to them and I make sure I do whatever I can to keep them safe and sound.

As you get further into it you really want proven methods. Because ....I got a good amount of $$$$ in my humidor.

awsmith4
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM
not sure how big yet, have to do some shopping, don't need anything huge for now, just curious if it's a hassle or relatively pain-free.

Go big to start with you will need the room soon enough.

Like Bill said get some beads for www.Cigarmony.com, www.heartfeltindustries.com or "Shilala" beads from Cigarnut (a member here) www.shilalasbeads.com. Kitty Litter may work but it doesn't perform like the beads.

Cedar is not necessary but I still throw my cedar sheets from old boxes in the bottom of my cooler. You may want to get a small electric fan to go in there to circulate the air as well.

AlohaStyle
06-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Too bad I wasted $20 on a 20 count.

Here's another tip... don't waste your money on buying a smaller cooler. Buy something bigger than you think you need, you will be a happy man down the road. However, like a lot of people, if you buy something smaller now thinking that's all you need, you will soon fill it up and will need to buy another one. So just buy something bigger now and be happy. :tu

gnukfu
06-12-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm with Bill. Just use the beads. Worked perfectly for me when I had my 120 quart cooler and works great in my wine fridges.

Wolfgang
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
I have cats so putting KL in my humidor invites unwanted visitors. Just sayin'.

Flounder
07-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Intel tells me a I have a rather large bomber inbound... Cooleridor will most likely be established this week(end).

Blak Smyth
07-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Now I'm going to go drink vodka redbulls till I fall over.

The vodka will make you fall over but the redbull keeps picking you back up!:noon

Bill86
07-12-2011, 12:33 PM
The vodka will make you fall over but the redbull keeps picking you back up!:noon

That's the joy of it. It's a great cycle.

Blak Smyth
07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
That's the joy of it. It's a great cycle.

Just through a cigar into the mix and you are golden!