PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day Gift Ideas

dwoodward
06-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Father's Day is just around the corner, and I am looking for a gift idea for my dad. I normally just buy him a box of golf balls, and I know that is what he will be expecting of me this year again. However, I had other ideas. I am thinking a nice box of cigars.

He has taken the trip down the slippery slope with me, however, he has gone a slightly different direction. I enjoy nice full body long smokes, but he has a favoring for the smaller petite sized cigars. So I was thinking about picking up a box of Cohiba Black Pequenos or something for him. He has always bought the cheapos like Alta Gracia and Shrapnel and has never had a good box of small smokes.

I am looking for ideas, money is very tight for me, am hoping to keep this under 50 bucks.

jledou
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
You could always do something with him like pay for a round of golf for both of you or bring over some steaks for the grill.
The Pequenos would be a nice step up for him over the others you have mentioned.

Ogre
06-01-2011, 01:44 PM
If you are wanting a box here are a couple of recommendations.

Macanudo Petit Corona 5X38 about $70
Macanudo Court 4 3/16 X 36 about $65
Punch Elite EMS (nat or maduro) 5 1/4 X 44 about $60

Just a few ideas for the price.

Ogre
06-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I am going to take a couple of sticks, some single malt and head over to my dads for some grilling.

Sherlockholms
06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm no help on this matter, my dad hates cigars. I doubt he's even tried one.

awsmith4
06-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I wanted to come here and suggest the LVH Early Years but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Around that price there is some boxes of habanos that can be had.

I know of a bunch of bundles but I understand and agree the box presentation can be paramount in a gift situation.

Sled Dog
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Couple other options as well.....

CAO Brazilia Cariocas
Cohiba - Miniatures
Partagas Black Pronto
Ashton - Cigarillos
Ashton - Esquire Tin

GreekGodX
06-02-2011, 05:23 AM
I am going to take a couple of sticks, some single malt and head over to my dads for some grilling.

That sounds like a good idea :tu

Thinking about getting him a new smoker for father's day.

lilwing88
06-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I'd go with a few tins of pequenos. Let him try some different smokes.

Ranger_B
06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
There is the J fuego Origins Originals in the 5 pack. Great little smoke that is big on flavor and not very expensive,a great value if he winds up liking them. That with some nice craft beer will do the trick.

jjirons69
06-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Check out Tampa Sweethearts. Good, cheap smokes made by respectable family.

TXRebel
06-02-2011, 08:34 AM
There is the J fuego Origins Originals in the 5 pack.

+1 good smoke at a good price.

also:
Gloria Cubana Minutos Maduro
DPG CC 1952

Stinky
06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
all good ideas. You'll come to a decision just right for your dad. Be sure to include a nice card with a personal note from you. And, include a hand written check for one million dollars. :) I did that for my son when he was 21. Told him if he could cash it, we'd split it! He still talks about that.

nofeardiver
06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
DP CC BlackLabel around $85-95... one of my favorites right now... you could always buy him a couple of nice cigars like Padrons!.... either way i bet he will be stoked no matter what you do as long as he gets to spend time with his son...

dwoodward
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I decided on going with a bunch of tins so he can try a bunch of different smokes to find one he likes. Would be a real shame if I bought a box and he hated them.

Thanks for the ideas.

Kaiten
06-04-2011, 05:00 PM
For fathers day I'm giving my dad a few good sticks as well as AigarAficionado subscription. They have a special on there page that's a two for one so you can get one as well. It also comes with a free copy of The ABC's of Whiskey. To find that page just add a /fathersday after the .com for deal.

Coach Deg
06-04-2011, 05:14 PM
My dad doesn't smoke. I'll bring over some nice steaks, grill them for him, a nice card, and hang out all day watching sports. We do that every year.

dwoodward
06-09-2011, 04:16 PM
So the tins came and they are wrapped in plastic. Should I leave the plastic on them and stash them in my humidor? Or take the plastic off? I guess I am wondering if the plastic has any effect on them.

SmokeyJoe
06-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Plastic shouldn't make a ton of difference... but I would put them in the humi. If they wont fit, take them out of the plastic. Then you can wrap them all individually! :noon

Nice idea for your dad's present. :tu

Sarae
06-10-2011, 10:59 PM
My dad doesn't smoke. I'll bring over some nice steaks, grill them for him, a nice card, and hang out all day watching sports. We do that every year.

Yeah, my Dad doesn’t smoke, too. What I plan to give him is the Just5 cell phone as he prefers using gadgets that do not offer complicated features. It’s a very nice simple phone and it’s very affordable as well.

icehog3
06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Yeah, my Dad doesn’t smoke, too. What I plan to give him is the Just5 cell phone as he prefers using gadgets that do not offer complicated features. It’s a very nice simple phone and it’s very affordable as well.

How about you, what are your favorite cigars?

Duke9192
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
You can pick up a box of Padron Londres for $60-75 online.
It's a great $3-$4 stick.

Adriftpanda
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't think he will care what cigar it was, as long as you two can share a smoke together, that would mean more to him. If money is an issue, you can always just give him a few of your smokes. No need to go out and spend money on cigars if money is an issue.

txsmoke
06-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I plan on buying my dad a nice cigar and then grilling or smoking something on the Traeger. I will probably buy him some of my favorite BBQ Rub to try out and use that on whatever we eat. Win, win for both of us!

Flounder
06-14-2011, 09:14 AM
My dad doesn't smoke either. But he just bought a 19 foot boat, and has never been a boat person. So I got him one of those little captain's hats, you know the white ones with the black patch with the gold anchor, we'll see how he likes it. But my brother and I go home every Sunday for dinner, we'll probably just chill out for the day, and then end up at my Dad's favorite local steakhouse for dinner.

cmitch
06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I'd give anything to sit down and smoke one with my dad. A police officer of 38 years and he passed in 1998, one year after retirement. If I could, I think I'd set him up with a My Father LE 2011.