PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Crazy

neoflex
06-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Anyone ever have these crazy thoughts? I know a lot of you are like me and we own more cigars than we could probably consume unless we stopped buying for a couple years and even than we would probably be in good shape for a good long while. So I was sitting in bed the other night thinking about the amount of money I have invested in the Cigars and humidors sitting in the house currently and was doing a rough tally of what the value was and the number was actually pretty staggering. For a brief moment I was thinking I know I probably won't smoke most of what I have for some time or the amount of NC LEs that I seem to save for special occasions that never seem to come or when they do they don't allow any down time to sit and enjoy that special smoke and should really consider thinning out the herd and maybe consider going back to working out of a simple 300 count desktop rather than continually add more and more to what seems an overabundant amount of cigars. I thought about what I could do with the cash if I were to unload most of what I had but than I couple days later I found myself buying more. It's a damn sickness I tell ya. I even mentioned my idea to my wife and even she was shocked and awed. Clearly I am over it and cherish my collection too much but I have since than started to smoke the "Special" sticks more often figuring if I don't smoke them than I may never get to and also have been trying to get more in on a regular basis. I mentioned this to a couple guys and they all responded with "Let me know if you decide to unload some stuff." Sheesh talk about talking a guy off the ledge.:r Was curious to see if anyone else ever looks at their collection of smokes sometimes and realizes the probability of smoking everything and has ever thought about reducing the amount they own and keeping it to a minimum.

Ranger_B
06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Nope never thought of it. I have tried to calculate the amount of money I have sitting humidified waiting for the right special occasion but that math hurts. My biggest concern is that I will wait too long and have the cigar pass its prime by the time I get to it. But hey if the day comes and you need some one to take some of those sticks off your hands let me know!

Fordman4ever
06-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Now that I have a baby on the way I have had that thought almost every day.

LasciviousXXX
06-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I bid one dowrah!!!!

I think we all go through times where things are a bit thin and our buying slows down a bit. Although I can't say I've ever considered down-sizing and not buying more cigars when the finances recovered.

neoflex
06-01-2011, 08:51 AM
I bid one dowrah!!!!

I think we all go through times where things are a bit thin and our buying slows down a bit. Although I can't say I've ever considered down-sizing and not buying more cigars when the finances recovered.

Surprisingly I was having these thoughts and the finances are currently fine. The number was just so staggering that I was thinking about what other things I could do with the money.

Skywalker
06-01-2011, 08:56 AM
That's crazy talk, Bro!!!

Snap out of it!!!:sl

LasciviousXXX
06-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Surprisingly I was having these thoughts and the finances are currently fine. The number was just so staggering that I was thinking about what other things I could do with the money.

Understandable. I think, for me at least, the pleasure and enjoyment and camaraderie I get out of cigars far outweighs anything else I could do with the cash.

Sherlockholms
06-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Haha I am with the rest of the guys, if you decide to unload throw me on that list! :D My collection is small as I am just getting it started, so doing the math is very easy for me! How much did you figure the amount to neo if you don't mind me asking?

dannysguitar
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
This is a very intriguing post. I have felt this way for a while. Wouldn't it make sense for me just to have 3 boxes of stuff I like and keep reloading? It seems like with all the new releases every year it would be impossible to keep up. Sometimes I feel like I should just have a box of a few different cigars and just smoke that. Something that I know I will enjoy each and every time.

hammondc
06-01-2011, 09:19 AM
This is why I have just stuck to a large desktop humi.

CigarNut
06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I know what you are talking about. If you look strictly at the dollar value it can be intimidating. However, as "they" say: You can't put a price on happiness!

Smoking cigars brings me a certain kind of pleasure and relaxation that I am happy to pay for -- and when finances are tight I buy less and smoke from my inventory and don't think twice about the cost...

Brooks W
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Honestly, I am doing that right now...decided to go through the Vinos (all 7 of them) and get rid of any stick I have not smoked in the last 6 months or so... (excluding the cigars I have to keep in order to photograph for the blog, i.e. one of each of the Monsters, one of each Tat LE, one of each Viaje LE, etc)...

There are so many cigars, it is almost obscene...and I would never smoke 95% of them (not because I don't like or love them, but because I just don't have the time)...

It is going to be a HUGE sale, just don't have the time to get all the prices etc lol!

~brooks

marge796
06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Understandable. I think, for me at least, the pleasure and enjoyment and camaraderie I get out of cigars far outweighs anything else I could do with the cash.

Me too!

jledou
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I have been trying to make a good effort this year to smoke more than what I purchase and have done OK. So far I am strictly down to 2 coolers (full but just 2 coolers) and have emptied out a 100 count desktop that now just holds empty tubes.

Challenging, yes I don't feel bad about picking up some nicer sticks from time to time now that I can see empty space in the coolers.

Drez
06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I find myself buying cigars at a faster rate than I smoke for sure but I balance out some of it by bombing or in nst trade. I keep my 100 count desktop loaded with htf or nicer sticks and will smoke out of that 70% of the time.

I do agree that we all slow down at some point but it's just gonna be a matter of time before you hit it again full gear.

For me I'm on the slow side right now cause we are moving to a bigger townhouse at the end of July so I need to save a few bucks while also cutting back on the amount I have to physically move.

That said I'm sure one we move and settle in I'll go on a few shopping sprees :D

tsolomon
06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I had some similar thoughts a couple of months ago and then decided to inventory all of my cigars. Once I had everything in the spreadsheet and saw just how many cigars I had, I decided it wasn't enough and ordered more. :D

neoflex
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM

This is true but you really don't need an obscene collection to enjoy the camaraderie.

Haha I am with the rest of the guys, if you decide to unload throw me on that list! :D My collection is small as I am just getting it started, so doing the math is very easy for me! How much did you figure the amount to neo if you don't mind me asking?

I can easily say it's well past 5K mark without revealing just how bad it really is.

The reality is I will more than likely never sell my collection but the thought did enter my head recently and figured in this group here I could not possibly be alone. They could probably start a new TV series with us called "Cigar Hoarders.":r I am now realizing that I need to quit saving so many smokes for a special occasion and have found myself the last couple weeks grabbing smokes I may not of just grabbed for the hell of it and actually enjoying the Limiteds more often. Can only hang on to them for so long. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and than who knows who will end up with them and if they would even realize what they had or if I sit on them too long they may pass their prime. I think my thought process that night and the couple days following just has me thinking that no stick is safe!:D

neoflex
06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I had some similar thoughts a couple of months ago and then decided to inventory all of my cigars. Once I had everything in the spreadsheet and saw just how many cigars I had, I decided it wasn't enough and ordered more. :D

I give you credit for doing a spreadsheet. That's too much like work for me.:D

big a
06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I almost did the same thing about a year ago. When I first starting smoking and got my vino I was buying as many samplers and cheaper sticks as I could to help fill it up. I was all about quantity not quality. I went through about 15-20 bad sticks and tried to sell 75% of what I had. I was going to keep around 75 sticks and get a small humidor. When I only smoke 1 a week if that I got real angry when everything I was smoking I didn’t enjoy.

I have now been trading/selling off sticks that I no longer like and filling up the vino with sticks I enjoy. I am about 1/4 of the way there now if that. And now due to recent discoveries I am not sure if smoking is going to be a good option and the thought of selling everything is coming back into play. It is a hobby I really do enjoy and I couldn’t imagine not collecting/smoking cigars.

The spreadsheet thing is a great idea. I messed up early on not setting that up.

Bill86
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
That's crazy talk! Actually here's the problem, if I quit buying cigars it would just be another hobby/habit.

So really IMHO the $$$$ is going to be spent either way, at least I can sell nearly all the cigars I have for what I paid for them.

This of course will never happen but I just had to mention it anyways.

maninblack
06-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Lifes too short for second guessing yourself. Just roll with it!! I have what some would say, way too many cigars, but I love my hobby and those people can kiss my ass.

sam a
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
the way i look at it is:

cash = potential stuff
cigars = stuff that i enjoy

if in the end, i can convert money into enjoyable experiences... sign me up. :2

Smokin Gator
06-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I understand and think we all go through that process at times. I am to the point now where I know what I like and what I don't. I have no problem restocking but don't chase the latest and greatest.

If you decide to sell some stuff so be it. Just don't use the money for anything other than buying what you really enjoy!!:sh

Ogre
06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I understand and think we all go through that process at times. I am to the point now where I know what I like and what I don't. I have no problem restocking but don't chase the latest and greatest.

If you decide to sell some stuff so be it. Just don't use the money for anything other than buying what you really enjoy!!:sh

:tpd::tpd: