PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a XOOM?

GolfNut
05-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Looking at tablets for my birthday this year and so far like what I read on the Xoom. Not really thrilled with Apple stuff.

I have a BB Torch and looked at the playbook, but really it seems to only shine when bridged to the phone.

I don't need a 3g, just wifi. I can use my Torch for 3g and don't want to change plans and lose my unlimited data plan.

Mainly something for surfing, email, movies, a few games, some music, ebook reader a big plus.
Would like to hear pros & cons on the Xoom.

Blueface
05-31-2011, 06:44 PM
I truly recommend you visit a local store and hold them all and toy with them.
May change your mind about the iPad.

Lots of great articles by cnet and computer magazines doing comparisons of tablets.
Research it well as you will find their sales very disappointing and when you read those articles of comparison, the reasons will stand out more.

Good luck.

Blueface
05-31-2011, 06:46 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/ipad-2-vs-motorola-xoom-vs-hp-touchpad-vs-blackberry-playbook/

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-3126_7-1085.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383637,00.asp

GolfNut
05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I've been reading all the reviews. I just watched a nice comparison video on you tube as well.

Was hoping to hear from some actual users here.

Blueface
05-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I've been reading all the reviews. I just watched a nice comparison video on you tube as well.

Was hoping to hear from some actual users here.

I hope you do get that feedback.
Unfortunately, it is going to be as varied as which cigar should I smoke.
I think once you accept a tablet's limitations and that it is not a netbook or laptop, the rest really boils down to what feels better to you personally.
I toyed with every one them, repeatedly.
Stop by a Best Buy near you and have some free fun to feel them for yourself.

Eleven
05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Do your homework. I was thinking about the Xoom, but was unaware of it's limitations until the Acer EEE Pad Transformer came out. I saw a side by side comparison and after that, I wouldn't consider the Xoom.

Sorry I don't have first hand experience to help, but every single review I have read says the Xoom is severely limited compared to other tablets available these days.

jledou
05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
It might still be looking into rooting the nook color for right now considering the price. IMO the Android tablets are a step behind the ipad but may leap it within the year if you see the prices come down and amazon steps in to provide a universal app store.

Blueface
06-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Just ran across this article.
Interesting stuff.
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/06/jp-morgan-apple-rivals-realize-ipad-beaten-reduce-build-plans

lbowles2
06-01-2011, 09:33 AM
It might still be looking into rooting the nook color for right now considering the price. IMO the Android tablets are a step behind the ipad but may leap it within the year if you see the prices come down and amazon steps in to provide a universal app store.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with a Nook Color. I don't really want the added size of the 10" tabs.

tx_tuff
06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Do your homework. I was thinking about the Xoom, but was unaware of it's limitations until the Acer EEE Pad Transformer came out. I saw a side by side comparison and after that, I wouldn't consider the Xoom.

Sorry I don't have first hand experience to help, but every single review I have read says the Xoom is severely limited compared to other tablets available these days.

I have not read any reviews, limited in what kind of way?

AD720
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with a Nook Color. I don't really want the added size of the 10" tabs.

I just sold my Nook Color which I had hacked to run full Android OS. The hardware is definitely lacking, really weak speaker for one, no FF (or RF for that matter) camera, iffy multitouch screen. It made a GREAT eReader but not a great tablet.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab on a woot sale last week, it should be here soon and I'll post up my experiences. In the 7" range I've heard really good things about the Dell Streak 7.

To the OP: The XOOM looks awesome, it's top of class with hardware and running the latest Android OS. I haven't had my hands on one personally. The Transformer seems to be the latest and greatest.

jledou
06-02-2011, 05:32 AM
I just sold my Nook Color which I had hacked to run full Android OS. The hardware is definitely lacking, really weak speaker for one, no FF (or RF for that matter) camera, iffy multitouch screen. It made a GREAT eReader but not a great tablet.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab on a woot sale last week, it should be here soon and I'll post up my experiences. In the 7" range I've heard really good things about the Dell Streak 7.

To the OP: The XOOM looks awesome, it's top of class with hardware and running the latest Android OS. I haven't had my hands on one personally. The Transformer seems to be the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the feedback on the Nook Color Andrew. Interested to hear how the Tab actually performs as I have heard good things about it.

Sawyer
06-02-2011, 06:57 AM
I truly recommend you visit a local store and hold them all and toy with them.
May change your mind about the iPad.

Lots of great articles by cnet and computer magazines doing comparisons of tablets.
Research it well as you will find their sales very disappointing and when you read those articles of comparison, the reasons will stand out more.

Good luck.

No flash on the iPad strikes it off the list automatically for me no matter how good it may be in other areas. It is not that big of an issue on my iphone, but for a tablet where the main function is pulling up web content, not having flash is a killer.

AD720
06-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the Nook Color Andrew. Interested to hear how the Tab actually performs as I have heard good things about it.

Will do.

I forgot to mention the thing that bothered me the most about running th Nook Color as a tablet - no hardware buttons!

I don't want to discourage you too much but I think that for $250 there are better options for not much money more. That wasn't really the case just a few months ago to a year ago when the NC rooting really got started as an alternative to higher priced tablets.

CigarNut
06-02-2011, 08:04 AM
No flash on the iPad strikes it off the list automatically for me no matter how good it may be in other areas. It is not that big of an issue on my iphone, but for a tablet where the main function is pulling up web content, not having flash is a killer.I thought that the "no flash" thing was going to be a real problem for me too. After some experimenting on my wife's (gen 1) iPad I have not yet found a site that caused a problem for me.

The one problem I have with the Xoom is that people say that they have to root it in order to get it to work the way they want. I am not interested in a device that I have to root/jailbreak in order to make it usable...

mithrilG60
06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I thought that the "no flash" thing was going to be a real problem for me too. After some experimenting on my wife's (gen 1) iPad I have not yet found a site that caused a problem for me.

QFT. I can think of precisely 1 site that I use on an infrequent but semi-regular (ie. visit 2 - 3 times a month) basis that doesn't render on my iPad2 because of the "lack" of Flash support. Every other website works just like it does on any desktop and laptop. Flash is a dying medium, thank god! The lack of support for it on any platform is hardly a reason to not buy that product.

In my personal opinion I don't think any of the Droid tablets are really able to compete with the iPad on an equal level, they all still feel very much like 1st gen technology with all the headaches, hiccups and gotchas that come along with that. The best way I can compare the 2 is that right now the Droids are best suited to the semi-geek, the kind of personal that buys an new computer then reinstall it with a Linux variant and spends hours reworking the GUI and interface to be "just so". The iPad is more suited to the person who doesn't care about the ability to do all the customization and would rather pick it up and have it "just work". The Playbook falls as a good alternative to the iPad if you don't want the geek factor of the Droids, and have a Blackberry already. It's great hardware with a few missing things due to it's rush to market and a couple really weird GUI decisions (video clips keep playing the background when you switch apps instead of auto-pausing for example).

To the OP, Blueface's advice is the most sensible you're going to get here: head to a BestBuy and actually play with the various tablets available to find the size and platform that makes the most sense for your needs, hell you may even find that none of them are quite there yet for what you want to get out of them.

Blueface
06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
FYI,
I have no issues with the lack of Flash as in can just use Puffin.
Don't skip a beat.:D

AD720
06-02-2011, 08:58 AM
10" Galaxy Tab coming very soon, might want to hit the pause button until then -

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/02/verizon-outs-4g-lte-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-pre-orders-start-june-8th-for-529-99/

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-launches-at-best-buy-in-nyc-national-availability-soon/

Sawyer
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I thought that the "no flash" thing was going to be a real problem for me too. After some experimenting on my wife's (gen 1) iPad I have not yet found a site that caused a problem for me.

The one problem I have with the Xoom is that people say that they have to root it in order to get it to work the way they want. I am not interested in a device that I have to root/jailbreak in order to make it usable...

QFT. I can think of precisely 1 site that I use on an infrequent but semi-regular (ie. visit 2 - 3 times a month) basis that doesn't render on my iPad2 because of the "lack" of Flash support. Every other website works just like it does on any desktop and laptop. Flash is a dying medium, thank god! The lack of support for it on any platform is hardly a reason to not buy that product.

There are several sites a week that I get links to that will not work correctly on my iphone and I have to go to my laptop or desktop to check them because of lack of flash. When flash actually does die, then the iPad will become a viable option for me. For now, since there are still quite a few sites use flash to some extent, whether it be menus or animation/video, it is not on the list. I can see why it may not bother some people because most of the major sites have moved away from flash, but my browsing habits are not limited to major sites.

AD720
06-02-2011, 09:49 AM

What have you heard specifically about that? Just curious...

Blueface
06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
There are several sites a week that I get links to that will not work correctly on my iphone and I have to go to my laptop or desktop to check them because of lack of flash. When flash actually does die, then the iPad will become a viable option for me. For now, since there are still quite a few sites use flash to some extent, whether it be menus or animation/video, it is not on the list. I can see why it may not bother some people because most of the major sites have moved away from flash, but my browsing habits are not limited to major sites.

Two Apps that solve that.

Puffin browser allows Flash content.
OplayerHDLite allows you to open any of those QuickTime videos we often can't normally open.

Lack of Flash is a moot point.

GolfNut
06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
So, I may have miscounted, but it looks like 7 unique users have posted here that do NOT own a Xoom, and zero Xoom users. That in itself may tell me something.

I do not have a best buy or anything like that nearby, but we do have a Staples. My son came over yesterday and said he stopped by Staples and played with several tablets. He liked the Xoom best but didn't spend a lot of time with them. Said the internet experience was great with it.

I think today I'll swing by and see what they have. Costco still seems to be the best place to buy from though due to their 90day return policy. No real risk if I end up not liking the Xoom providing they actually stock it at our store that is.

Blueface
06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
So, I may have miscounted, but it looks like 7 unique users have posted here that do NOT own a Xoom, and zero Xoom users. That in itself may tell me something.

I do not have a best buy or anything like that nearby, but we do have a Staples. My son came over yesterday and said he stopped by Staples and played with several tablets. He liked the Xoom best but didn't spend a lot of time with them. Said the internet experience was great with it.

I think today I'll swing by and see what they have. Costco still seems to be the best place to buy from though due to their 90day return policy. No real risk if I end up not liking the Xoom providing they actually stock it at our store that is.

Forrest, how about a Verizon store? Target? Walmart?
Not sure if all those carry them but Verizon does for sure.

Dux
06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Just got the Ausus Transformer in! Love it so far!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056260-1.html

It's built on the Honeycomb 3.0 tech (google)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4277/asus-eee-pad-transformer-review

You can find a nice chart @ the link above for Tablet Specification Comparison

-Doug/Dux

CigarNut
06-02-2011, 11:12 AM

OplayerHDLite allows you to open any of those QuickTime videos we often can't normally open.

Lack of Flash is a moot point.The SkyFire browser also provides Flash support. It used to be free but at the moment it is $2.99...

Blueface
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
The SkyFire browser also provides Flash support. It used to be free but at the moment it is $2.99...

Yup.
I think I got it back when it was free.
Decent browser.

I tell you, that 10" Galaxy that was posted here does look nice but pricey if you consider the contract.

AD720
06-02-2011, 12:38 PM

If I had $600 to spend on a tablet instead of $250 I would be more likely to have a XOOM (or a Transformer) instead of getting a Galaxy Tab, if that helps. It's a purely a cost thing. I would live with the bigger size for the better specs for sure.

AD720
06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Yup.
I think I got it back when it was free.
Decent browser.

I tell you, that 10" Galaxy that was posted here does look nice but pricey if you consider the contract.

Same price as the iPad2 for the WIFI only though, which is what the OP is interested in. Seems to be the sweet spot in the market.

Blueface
06-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Same price as the iPad2 for the WIFI only though, which is what the OP is interested in. Seems to be the sweet spot in the market.

I could be wrong but I think the price is comparable to the iPad only with the contract.
You then have to account for that monthly fee for two years.
No contract on wifi only iPad.

mithrilG60
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Because of the huge variety currently on the market tablet's are like cigars, wine, spirits, etc.; a personal preference that no one else can really tell you what you're going to like. The biggest thing right now is making sure you don't buy one that's going to disappear overnight, and you're pretty safe on that with the Xoom/GalaxyTab/iPad/Playbook. :2

AD720
06-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I could be wrong but I think the price is comparable to the iPad only with the contract.
You then have to account for that monthly fee for two years.
No contract on wifi only iPad.

Wifi only exact same price.

Wifi +4G exact same price out the door but requiring a 2 year contract...but it is 4G.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal-tech/tablets/229900044

Sawyer
06-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Lack of Flash is a moot point.

Puffin and skyfire are both buggy, slow and choppy when it comes to flash. Both also require you to use a crappy browser. So no, it is not a moot point.

Blueface
06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Puffin and skyfire are both buggy, slow and choppy when it comes to flash. Both also require you to use a crappy browser. So no, it is not a moot point.

Depends on what side of the fence you are I guess.

I find they work very well for the overall limited few times I have needed flash.
In my personal case, using primarily an iPad for everything, not having flash does not hinder me.

My point would primarily be to choose a tablet for whatever preferences make you happiest but not having Flash, that will soon be obsolete should not be one.

Ratters
06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Scottastic brought the ten inch galaxy to the barn herf. I must say I was very impressed with it. Stereo speakers, great screen, and very thin and light. I'm not a tablet person, my phone and laptop are plenty, but if I was I'd be all over that Galaxy like white on rice.

GolfNut
06-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Stopped by staples. Really impressed with the Xoom. Loads web pages faster than my laptop. I even popped into CA here and it was loaded before I realized it.
Read some on it, nice ereader. Music program is pretty nice. Didn't have a movie to watch on it, but had fun playing around with it.

Saw the BB Playbook, just too small for what I want. My eyes are getting bad, and I like the bigger tablet screens. The only other one they had was the Asus Icon(something or other) and it didn't impress me as much as the Xoom.

There's a Walmart the next town over I might go to and see what they've got on hand.

Blueface
06-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Stopped by staples. Really impressed with the Xoom. Loads web pages faster than my laptop. I even popped into CA here and it was loaded before I realized it.
Read some on it, nice ereader. Music program is pretty nice. Didn't have a movie to watch on it, but had fun playing around with it.

Saw the BB Playbook, just too small for what I want. My eyes are getting bad, and I like the bigger tablet screens. The only other one they had was the Asus Icon(something or other) and it didn't impress me as much as the Xoom.

There's a Walmart the next town over I might go to and see what they've got on hand.

Good for you.
Keep messing with them.
They are like glasses. They don't all suit every person.

AD720
06-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Reporting back -

After 24 hours or so with the Galaxy Tab I can say that this is a FAR better android experience than the hacked Nook Color. Everything is smoother, much more polished and doesn't feel at all cobbled together. The hard buttons alone are worth it, add in the hardware acceleration and everything is smoother, menus open smoothly and it's far more responsive.

Piece of cake to root with SuperOneClick. Now I'm just waiting for a 100% working Gingerbread ROM for my CDMA Tab (official 2.3 ROM should be coming sometime soon so maybe that's what the Dev's are waiting for).

GolfNut
06-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I went with the Xoom. Using it now in fact. Staples price matched Walmart at $569 then I got an additional $10 credit card cash back bonus, so it only ended up $559.

Loving the speed of this thing for sure. Watched a few streaming TV shows, the cameras are really nice. Kindle AP runs perfect on it and the screen size is great for me reading. Lots of games that I enjoy are free in the market so I have plenty to do on it.

Blueface
06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
I went with the Xoom. Using it now in fact. Staples price matched Walmart at $569 then I got an additional $10 credit card cash back bonus, so it only ended up $559.

Loving the speed of this thing for sure. Watched a few streaming TV shows, the cameras are really nice. Kindle AP runs perfect on it and the screen size is great for me reading. Lots of games that I enjoy are free in the market so I have plenty to do on it.

Congrats!

Forrest, keeping I'm mind the iPad2 is lightning fast as compared to the original, all other things equal, given you now have both the original and the Xoom in your household, candidly how do they compare to you?

AD720
06-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Congrats!! SO cool. :banger

GolfNut
06-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Congrats!

Forrest, keeping I'm mind the iPad2 is lightning fast as compared to the original, all other things equal, given you now have both the original and the Xoom in your household, candidly how do they compare to you?

I don't have the original ipad here. My Wife has an itouch, and iphone but that's it. Her good friend has an ipad and was looking to get the iPad2 but changed her mind. Said the other day she was thinking of the Xoom also.

Have to find out why.....

Still....digging the xoom, but we'll see how it is when the new factor wears off.

kgoings
10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Picked up a XOOM. Very impressed. I checked out the iPad2 but the XOOM beat it in just about every catagory...except the iPad2 does boot up real quick. I must say the iPad2's camera is just awful. It was only a bit slower than the XOOM